battle grid help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have bought the 3.5 premium dungeon masters guide, i took out the battel grid in the back and cant figure out how to use it. It has walls and suff already on it. also, can i use dry erase markers on it? It doesnt seem that good because the grid is all closed off.
I'm not familiar with the product but my speculation is that you may not use a dry erase marker on it.  I believe one of the core books included a map/grid to use for combat but I don't believe there is anything special on it so writing on it would be just like writing in one of your own books.

I don't know what's in the reprint exacly, but I think the original DMG had dungeon tiles in the back.

These is not a battlegrid probably, but part of a much larger set of dungeon tiles that WotC used to sell. They can be used to mark rooms, corridors, walls and other features on a battlegrid without having to draw them.

My guess is that's what you're having, some stuff you can use instead of drawing on a battlegrid yourself.

It's supposed to be used like this:

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

If it's what I'm thinking of, it's a folded paper insert with a coloured (but drab) side showing a random arrangment of dungeon rooms fitted together to fill the entire map like Tetris blocks, and a black-and-white side with a basic grid for more general use.  There are also some tokens a few pages back that can be photocopied and used to show the position of doors, stairs, bodies, and whatnot.

It's been in most of the standard DMG printings of which I'm aware, and provides a very basic battle map in case you don't have else.  Since it's basically just paper, I wouldn't write on it unless you want permanent marks on there.

I'd favour using the side without the walls drawn in.  You could place things on it to show the position of things without marking it, draw lightly with chalk or pencil if you don't mind it getting marks over time, or maybe get it laminated if you really need to draw on it.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
on one side there is a "sample" dungeon with rooms and corridors, on the other side there is a blank battle grid. With my party we use a large glass to put on the blank battle grid and we design our dungeons on it with eraseble pencils
Now that Slagger mentions it I think I know what is being talked about and unless it really got a premium upgrade (which I doubt) it is not something you really are going to want to write on.

Now when it comes to a "battle grid" all I'd say you really need is a sheet of graph paper which you can mark up however you desire.  The  one-inch grids are scaled for miniature use but you do NOT need minis to play DnD although you really should have some method of tracking position.

The only version I'd have doubts about would be the special leatherbound printing (since a paper tearout doesn't seem quite as fitting there); if you've got any other printing of the 3.5 DMG, the chances are you own one of these battle maps.

I can personally confirm that the recent reprint of the DMG has it, and that it's essentially identical to the one in my older 3.5 DMG.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.