Ghargool - Set List

201 posts / 0 new
Last post
To motivate me to actually work on this set, I'm going to post all Ghargool cards I come up with. What a mad experiment.

Feel free post any and all card ideas that you think would fit into Ghargool. If I like your idea, I'll put it in the set, with credit to you. (If you post here I'm assuming you give me permission to use it.)

SET MECHANICS (last updated May 17, 2013)

Set name: Ghargool

Themes:
Lands & land destruction matter
Creature size & +1/+1 counters matter
Big, expensive spells and effects

Mechanic 1: Alpha size

Alpha size is keyword found on creatures, primarily in blue, red, and green. It represents that creature reaching the apex of its species' growth, allowing it to tower above its fellows and assert its feral superiority.

Eosaurian
Creature—Lizard (C)
Alpha size 3—(: Put +1/+1 counters on this creature until it has three on it. Alpha size as a sorcery.)
Today, small mammals. Tomorrow, small mammoths.
2/2

When you activate Eosaurian's alpha size ability, check how many +1/+1 counters are on it. If it has fewer than three +1/+1 counters on it, put +1/+1 counters on it until it has exactly three. If Eosaurian already has three or more +1/+1 counters on it when you activate alpha size, the ability does nothing.

Some creatures may have abilities that trigger when they reach alpha size:

Pithecus Gladiator
Creature—Ape Warrior (U)
Alpha size 2—(: Put +1/+1 counters on this creature until it has two on it. Alpha size as a sorcery.)
When the second +1/+1 counter is put onto Pithecus Gladiator, it fights another target creature.
Pithecus choose their leaders by a majority rule: The majority doesn't want to end up like the minority.
2/2

Whenever Pithecus Gladiator goes from having fewer than two +1/+1 counters to having two or more counters, it will fight a creature. It doesn't matter where those counters came from. It also doesn't matter if its ability has triggered before: for example, if Pithecus Gladiator already has two +1/+1 counters on it, and you manage to remove one of those counters, you can then add another counter (with alpha size, or another way) and trigger its fight ability again. Finally, if an effect causes Pithecus Gladiator to enter the battlefield with two or more +1/+1 counters on it, its ability will trigger when it enters the battlefield.

Mechanic 2: Imbue

Across the multiverse, a plane's lands are its primary source of mana. On Ghargool, the bond between land and mana is so intrinsic and primal that spells cast there often become linked to the terrain itself. Imbue is a keyword found on instant and sorcery spells in white, blue, and black.

Nourishing Forage
Instant (C)
You gain 2 life.
Imbue (As this spell resolves, you may exile it beneath a land. Whenever that land becomes tapped, this card's owner may cast a copy of this card for its imbue cost.)

As a spell you own with imbue resolves, you may exile it and choose any land on the battlefield. The imbue card is then beneath that land, and that land is above the imbue card. Whenever a land becomes tapped, the owner of the imbue card beneath it may copy that card and cast the copy by paying its imbue cost. If more than one imbue card is beneath a land, any or all of them may be copied and cast whenever that land becomes tapped.

Some imbue cards alter properties of the lands above them:

Pelagic Adaptations
Sorcery (U)
Target creature gains islandwalk until end of turn.
Imbue (As this spell resolves, you may exile it beneath a land. Whenever that land becomes tapped, this card's owner may cast a copy of this card for its imbue cost.)
The land above Pelagic Adaptations is an Island.

Mechanic 3: Flatten

Stomp! Slam! The massive fauna of Ghargool leave nothing but barren earth in their wake. Flatten is an action word featured primarily in red and green, and also found in black and white.

Lumberdontus
Creature - Beast (U)
When Lumberdontus enters the battlefield, flatten target land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
Whenever a land is put into an opponent's graveyard from the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on Lumberdontus.
2/2

Flattening a permanent follows all the normal rules for destroying that permanent, with the additional effect of putting a land token onto the battlefield tapped under the control of the flattened permanent's controller. If a permanent avoids destruction, by regenerating or being indestructible for example, its controller still gets a land token.

While flatten is most often restricted to targeting lands, any permanent can potentially be flattened.

Savage Footprint
Sorcery (C)
Flatten target artifact or land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Returning Mechanic: Colourless Hybrid

Colourless hybrid returns in Ghargool, where having a whole lot of something is often just as good as having the right something.

Soaring Skydactyl
Creature - Drake (C)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 4.)
Flying
2/2

Craggyback Stegon
Creature - Lizard (U)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 8.)
6/7

previous version

From THIS THREAD

Ghargool, Set in Stone (er...working title)

Main theme: Land destruction matters
Subtheme: Mill/graveyard matters

Mechanic 1: Fossilize

Fossilize [cost] ([cost]: Exile this card from your graveyard beneath target land.)

Yeah, it's similar to both haunt and flashback. I'm OK with that.

Primary in: White, blue, black
Secondary in: Red, green

Bubbles of Insight
Instant (C)
Draw a card.
Fossilize (: Exile this card from your graveyard beneath target land.)
When the land above Bubbles of Insight is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.

Common fossilize cards will all trigger on land death, similar to the way haunt worked in Guildpact.

Bonemeal Bison
Creature - Ox (U)
The land above Bonemeal Bison has "T: You gain 1 life."
The Amanaji sow the soil with bison bones, as was instructed by their gods eons ago.
2/3

Uncommon+ will add aura-like effects to the land, most will give lands tap abilities.

Mechanic 2: Flatten

(To flatten a permanent, destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Primary in: Red, green
Secondary in: White, black

Flatten will mostly hit lands, and is an attempt to make LD cheaper and less backbreaking. But it can hit other stuff too.

Savage Footprint
Sorcery (C)
Flatten target artifact or land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Lumberdontus
Creature - Beast (U)
When Lumberdontus enters the battlefield, flatten target land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
Lumberdontus gets +1/+1 for each land card in your opponents' graveyards.
1/1

Returning Mechanic: Colourless Hybrid

Soaring Skydactyl
Creature - Drake (C)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 4.)
Flying
2/2

Craggyback Stegon
Creature - Lizard (U)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 8.)
7/7

Contributors
I COULD do it alone, but I'm too lazy. Thanks guys!

Collaborators (these guys rule something fierce, like a Tyrannosaur)

HairlessThoctar
Libe

Contributors (these guys rule too but just not at like a collaborator level, they're still Allosaurs or like, Albertasaurs)

Kuro_Ageha
Dudibus
dtolle
Raltir
mown
M.holck
helldozer
theatog
Shazzeh
White (8/?)
Common 4/?
Amanaji Dustspeaker

Creature -- Human Mystic (C)
Whenever a land is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Amanaji Dustspeaker.
1/1

Amanaji Marksman
Creature — Human Archer  (C)
Reach
Amanaji arrows are designed not to kill prey, but to slow it down so that the hunter may meet it in battle.
2/2

Scarred Smilodon
Creature — Cat  (C)
Flash
3/2

Teratorn Griffin
Creature — Griffin  (C)
Flying
Stay out of its teratorny, or it will teratorn piece of flesh from your bones.
4/2

Uncommon 2/?
Bonemeal Bison
Creature — Ox  (U)
The land above Bonemeal Bison has "T: You gain 1 life."
The Amanaji sow the soil with bison bones, as was instructed by their gods eons ago.
2/3

Moonfall
Sorcery (U)
Flatten target permanent. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Rare 2/?
Bones to Dust
Sorcery (R)
Flatten all creatures. (Destroy them. For each creature destroyed this way, its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Razor Termite
Creature — Insect  (R)
The land above Razor Termite has ", : Put a token that's copy of Razor Termite onto the battlefield."
2/1

Blue (6/?)
Common 5/?

Archelon
Creature — Turtle  (C)
Islandwalk
2/8

Avenopteryx Raincaller
Creature — Bird Shaman  (C)
Flying
When Avenopteryx Raincaller enters the battlefield or the land above it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card, then discard a card.
1/2

Bubbles of Insight
Instant (C)
Draw a card.
Fossilize (1U[/mc]: Exile this card from your graveyard beneath target land.)
When the land above Bubbles of Insight is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, draw a card.

Leaping Icthyid
Creature — Fish  (C)
U: Leaping Icthyid gains flying until end of turn.
2/3

Soaring Skydactyl
Creature — Drake  (C)
( can be payed with any two mana or with U. This card's converted mana cost is 4.)
Flying
2/2

Uncommon 1/?

Seabottom Leak
Sorcery (U)
Target player puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
The land above Seabottom Leak is an Island.

Black (6/?)

Common 3/?
Giant Fly
Creature — Insect  (C)
Flying
Giant Fly can't block.
"It after you! You stink!"
"We all stink."

2/1

Stonevenom Scorpion
Creature — Scorpion  (C)
Whenever Stonevenom Scorpion deals damage to a creature, flatten that creature. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
1/4

Swallowed By Tar
Instant (C)
Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Uncommon 2/?
Rockdropper Dactyl
Creature — Drake  (U)
Flying
When Rockdropper Dactyl enters the battlefield, flatten target creature. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
3/2

Squish
Sorcery (U)
Flatten target creature or land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Rare 1/?

Skeletyrannus
Creature — Lizard Skeleton  (R)
You may cast Skeletal Tyrant from exile by sacrificing the land above it in addition to paying its other costs. (You can't sacrifice lands don't control.)
5/5

Red (3/?)

Common 2/?
Savage Footprint
Sorcery (C)

Viashino Rockthrower
Creature -- Viashino Warrior (C)
, : Viashino Rockthrower deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Uncommon 1/?
Flametail Dragosaur
Creature - Dragon (U)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 6.)
Haste
: Flametail Draosaur gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
3/3

Green (11/?)

Common (4/?)
Bountiful Blooming
Instant (C)
Add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
Draw a card.

Cave Grizzly
Creature — Bear  (C)
4/4

Overgraze
Sorcery (C)
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Flatten target land. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with "/m]: Add [m] to your mana pool.")

Stomposaurus
Creature -- Lizard (C)
When Stomposaurus enters the battlefield, flatten a creature you control. (Destroy that creature. Put a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
4/3

Uncommon (4/?)

Craggyback Stegon
Creature — Lizard  (U)
7/7

Imperiosaur
Creature - Lizard (U)
Spend only mana produced by basic lands to cast Imperiosaur.
5/5

Lumberdontus
Creature - Beast (U)
Lumberdontus gets +1/+1 for each land card in your opponents' graveyards.
1/1

Windgrapple Githid
Creature - Spider  (U)
Reach
When Windgrapple Githid enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature with flying.
The githids affix their silken ropes to the bottoms of clouds, swinging between them to hunt their aerial prey.
2/3

Rare (3/?)
Amber Butterfly
Creature - Insect (R)
Flying
, Sacrifice Amber Butterfly: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Whenever a player taps the land above Amber Butterfly for mana, that player adds one mana of any color to his or her mana pool.
0/1

Herbivorous Doom
Sorcery (R)
Each player chooses X lands he or she controls. Flatten those lands. (Destroy them. For each of those lands, its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
Put X 1/1 green Rabbit creature tokens onto the battlefield, then distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.

Ecological Recovery
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, return a land card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Multi & Colourless (4/?)

Common (2/?)
Delicate Ecosphere
Land (C)
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Flatten Delicate Ecosystem. (Destroy it. Put a land token onto the battlefield tapped with "T: Add 1 to your mana pool.")

Evolving Wilds
Land (C)
, Sacrifice Evolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Uncommon (2/?)

Dingus Egg
Artifact (U)
Whenever a land is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, Dingus Egg deals 2 damage to that land's controller.
"Egg! We eat?"
"No. Dingus."

Stone Ard
Artifact (U)
, Flatten a land you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. (To flatten a land, destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Flatten = fun name.

The colour bleeding seems done sort of... randomly, though. Bleeding, IMO, should come with mechanics like Phyrexian mana, or Hyrid Mana, or cycles. I.e, really good reasons. This set seems to bleed some mechanics (particularly the mana ramp) to colours they don't really belong. Moonfall is like, green/black, for example, not white. Also the reach in white is a tad odd, but white normally has flyers anyway and it makes sense flavorfully, so its probably okay. 
@kazu: I don't know if you misread the mechanic, but there's not really any ramping involved. It's more like the permanent gets path to exiled into a colourless land. White can currently destroy anything conditionally, except land, and seeing as this is a LD themed set, and flatten doesn't put them down any mana, I don't see a problem with letting white flatten any permanent at uncommon.
Stompodon

Creature -- Lizard (C)
When Stompodon enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you flatten another creatures you control. (Destroy that creature. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add  to your mana pool.")
5/5

Kind of an obvious design, I suppose.

Cover in Tar

Instant (C)
Target creature gets -4/-4 until the end of turn. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Bleeding from red a bit. Trying to make a flavorful fossilize hoser.

Goblin Stonechucker

Creature -- Goblin Warrior (C)
, : Goblin Stonechucker deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

I feel like you need to give players something to do with all the mana they're gonna get with those flattened lands. Something like the invokers. Also, I really like the idea of caveman-goblins.

Amanaji Dustspeaker

Whenever a land is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Amanaji Dustspeaker.
1/1 

Basic enabler-filler.

I feel like an evolve-like mechanic (Or just evolve itself) would work well in your set. You need a creature-based mechanic and something that appeals to Johnnies and Timmies. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Technically dinosaur is a creature type.

Agitated Serodon
Creature - Lizard
Trample
Whenever ~ attacks, flatten a nontoken permanent you control.
Serodon's make good beasts of burden, until the stampede.
5/4
Yesss. Yeeessss.
Stompodon

Creature -- Lizard (C)
When Stompodon enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you flatten another creatures you control. (Destroy that creature. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add  to your mana pool.")
5/5

Kind of an obvious design, I suppose.

And yet I didn't think of it!! Adding. But also tweaking. As, say, a 3-mana 4/4, it can double as turn 3 ramp in a pinch, which is almost too cool an interaction to pass up.

Cover in Tar

Instant (C)
Target creature gets -4/-4 until the end of turn. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Bleeding from red a bit. Trying to make a flavorful fossilize hoser.

You're better at making cards for my set than I am. Yeesh. I've been pondering mechanical interactions and synergies, but I didn't even think of hosers. Yes, definitely needed.

I think black can handle exile-on-death, since it already gets straight-up exile. And you're spot-on with the flavour, black's territory is full of bubbling tar pits, like that place in The Land Before Time where the sharp-teeth live. Adding with gusto.

Goblin Stonechucker

Creature -- Goblin Warrior (C)
, : Goblin Stonechucker deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

I feel like you need to give players something to do with all the mana they're gonna get with those flattened lands. Something like the invokers. Also, I really like the idea of caveman-goblins.

Aren't goblins already cavemen? Sadly, I don't know if I can fit goblins in the plane (and do them justice), because I had my heart set on giving viashino some sun.

Good call on the mana sinks. I was gearing the set toward slower battlecruiser play, a la Rise of the Eldrazi, and the invoker cycle did come to mind.

Amanaji Dustspeaker

1/1 

Basic enabler-filler.

Basic goodstuff. I like. Adding, flavour tweakery impending.

I feel like an evolve-like mechanic (Or just evolve itself) would work well in your set. You need a creature-based mechanic and something that appeals to Johnnies and Timmies. 

You're right! I was looking for something to appeal to non-Spikes. Evolve was one of the things I considered (of course, with a name like that) but I don't really want to use two recurring mechanics in one set.

Rise had level up, which acted as a mana sink, was Timmy-pleasing, and fit on small creatures in a set that wanted you to play big creatures. Something along those lines would be ideal. Come to think of it, there was another mechanic I saw years ago that someone on the forums made:

"Regress X [cost] ([cost]: Put X +1/+1 counters on this creature. It loses all abilities. Regress only as a sorcery.)" That would actually be kind of perfect. I might have to track whoever made that down and ask if I can use it.

Technically dinosaur is a creature type.

Agitated Serodon
Creature - Lizard
Trample
Whenever ~ attacks, flatten a nontoken permanent you control.
Serodon's make good beasts of burden, until the stampede.
5/4

You mean, technically dinosaur ISN'T a creature type?

I kind of wish it was. In this set I'm spreading dinos among beasts, lizards, (flightless) dragons, and basilisks, with pterosaurs as drakes. So they don't really have a cohesive tribal identity. I guess that's okay though. Why would a stegosaurus and a tyrannosaurus be subject to the same effect, if it wouldn't affect, say, a crocodile or elephant? I'll probably keep the set non-tribal for the most part.

Cool card, a little close to Stompodon above.
Ugh, I'm beat and have Game of Thrones to watch. So I'll update the OP tomorrow. Here's a few cards I came up with at work.

Stone Ard
Artifact (U)
, Flatten a land you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. (To flatten a land, destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")

Mana rock that plays with land death.

Essence Infusion
Instant (C/U?)
Add X mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
Draw a card.

I don't like X spells at common if I can avoid it, but this one seems simple enough. I can always bump it. Needs an infusion of better name.

Evolving Wilds
Land (C)
, (you all know what it does...)

This and fossilize go together way too well not to reprint it again.

Okay, two cards and a reprint is not really a few. Well, have another reprint,

Imperiosaur

made for the set or what?
I love it. Absolutely beautiful card, clever name, great homage to birds. I'm a little wondrous about how good a free utopia sprawl is out of the yard, like if you milled a whole bunch of them could it get degenerate somehow? Ahh we'll let the modern banning committe worry about that. This will make a fantastic rare, bravo.

Insects (esp. giant ones) are totally on board for both green and black.

EDIT: Come to think of it I kind of think it should tap for mana itself. I mean the reason to play birds is turn 1 mana, and this has to die first. Maybe this taps for ? Flavour: An insect far more beautiful dead than alive.

EDIT2: Better. "Sacrifice ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool." Flavour: It lives a day but its beauty lives on forever...etc

This is probably just a side effect of flatten. Maybe flattened lands should come in tapped?

They do!

For the butterfly, yes maybe I'd have to make it tap and sacrifice itself.

The effect could be better, but just saying it would be a waste to not have a Fossilize land based on the Petrified Forest.

Good thinking. I have about 10 ideas for cycles of lands, and even with this being sort of a lands-matter block, I'm gonna have to cut those down.

The set wants

- Fetchlands
- Manlands
- Duals
- Fossilize lands
- Flatten lands
- Lands that sac themselves/other lands
Common cycle idea, to enable fossilize. I might just keep the cycle in Esper colours, which is where most of fossilize will be.

Amanaji Turfhunter
Creature - Human Warrior (C)
Sacrifice a land: ~ gains lifelink until end of turn.
3/2

Aven Divebomber
Creature - Bird Warrior (C)
Flying
Sacrifice a land: ~ gains hexproof until end of turn.
2/1

Surrakar Slimeslinker
Creature - Surrakar Warrior (C)
Sacrifice a land: ~ gains intimidate until end of turn.
2/3

I'm loving this Surrakar idea, thanks KeeperOfManyNames.
Another idea for a cycle - something for all the LD in the set to hose.

Loyal Mastodon
Creature - Elephant (C)
~ gets +1/+1 and has vigilance as long as you control a Plains.
2/4

It's similar the arctic aven cycle from M13, if you're just splashing the Plains the creature becomes vulnerable to weakening.
Idea for a land-involved, Timmy/Johnny mechanic.

Landbond (You may have lands you control enter the battlefield attached to this creature. It gets +1/+1 for each land attached to it.)

So each of your lands is sort of an aura/equipment that gives one of your landbond guys +1/+1. I dunno, too similar to vinelasher kudzu-style landfall?

Oh, vinelasher kudzu. Possible reprint/homage. Also, gotta fit a giant man-eating plant into green somewhere.
That's pretty interesting. Hmmm! Maybe I can ask him if I can borrow it for a later expansion. I don't have the room for it now though.
Primordial Dragon
Creature - Dragon
: ~ gains flying until end of turn. When it loses flying this turn, it deals damage equal to its power to itself.
: ~ loses flying and deals damage equal to twice its power to target creature without flying. Activate this ability only if ~ has flying.
It flings itself from cliffs to catch its prey. Unfortunately its landings aren't very graceful.
3/4
@dtolle:

Cute! A little convoluted rules wise, and I don't like the 0 cost activation. But flavour wise it's spot on how I pictured dragons in the set. I will have to tinker with that one.

Flat Refusal UU
Instant (c)
Counter target spell. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with "T: Add 1 to your mana pool."
First time looking at this, but I'll be god damned if I'll let a dinousaur set pass me by!

Fossil Quarry
Land
Rare
Tap: Add to your mana pool.
As long as Fossil Quarry has a fossil under it, it has ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Fossilize matters?

Asteroid Strike

Sorcery
Mythic
Flatten all permanents.

You can't not have a dinosaur set without an asteroid in it.

Triceratops

Creature-Lizard
Mythic
Triple strike
3/5 

I'm kidding, but I wish I weren't. 

Fossil Quarry
Land
Rare
Tap: Add to your mana pool.
As long as Fossil Quarry has a fossil under it, it has ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

I love it. I'm glad this is a lands-matters set so I can justify the 500 or so lands I have planned. Adding.

Asteroid Strike

Sorcery
Mythic
Flatten all permanents.

Love it. Adding. May adjust price, etc.

Triceratops

Creature-Lizard
Mythic
Triple strike
3/5 

Triple strike (This creature deals first strike, second strike, and regular combat damage.)

Hmmmmmmmmm I wish. Maybe I can find a mythic that wants that.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Fossilize
Instant

Flatten target permanent with fossilize.
Until end of turn, its owner may fossilize that permanent without paying its fossilize cost.

Pretty sure this doesn't actually work cause it's a different instance of an object on the field and in the grave.

Yeah, pretty much. And it's mighty narrow too. Of all the fossilize cards, probably half or more won't be creatures.
I need a third mechanic, preferably a creature mechanic, that appeals to Timmy and/or Johnny. I'd also like it to be a mana sink. Here's my best idea so far:

Megasize—[cost]: [Optional effect, then] Put X +1/+1 counters on this creature. Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.

Similar to Imidazoline's regress, from The Mole. But without the 'loses all abilities' rider. A one-time buff that I can make rather expensive for late-game mana sinkage, and tack other effects onto.

I think Timmies would like the idea of building a "King of the Monsters," I dunno, I'm not really a Timmy.

Eosaurian
Creature—Lizard (C)
Megasize: Put three +1/+1 counters on Eosaurian. Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.
Today, small mammals. Tomorrow, small mammoths.
2/2

Pithecus Gladiator
Creature—Ape Warrior (U)
Megasize: Put two +1/+1 counters on Pithicus Gladiator, then it fights another target creature. Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.
Pithecus choose their leaders by a majority rule: The majority doesn't want to end up like the minority.
2/2

Deepshadow Gnathosteus
Creature—Leviathan (R)
Islandwalk
Megasize: Put six +1/+1 counters on Deepshadow Gnathosteus. Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.
As long as Deepshadow Gnathosteus has a +1/+1 counter on it, all lands are Islands in addition to their other types.
6/6

So if I put this primarily in green-red-blue, that gives every colour two set mechanics at common.
Pithecus Head-Knocker
Creature—Ape Warrior (R)
: Choose two target creatures each with power less than Pithicus Head-Knocker's. Those creatures fight each other.
Megasize: Put three +1/+1 counters on Pithicus Head-Knocker. (Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.)
"One head? Need club. Two heads? Easy."
3/3

Trying a formatting for megasize similar to forecast's.

Megalodon
Creature—Fish (C)
Islandwalk
Megasize: Put three +1/+1 counters on Megalodon. (Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.)
3/2

And more Pithecus since I haven't really designed any before today.

Banana Guardian
Creature—Ape Druid (C)
( can be payed with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 3.)
: Add to your mana pool
2/1

So how high in rarity should I keep the reminder text? I was thinking of leaving it on uncommons and off rares, but I'm wondering if uncommons even need/want it. I suppose it couldn't hurt as long as there's room.

Pithecus Luddite
Creature—Ape Shaman (C)
When Pithecus Luddite enters the battlefield, flatten target artifact or enchantment. (Destroy it. Its controller puts a land token onto the battlefield tapped with ": Add to your mana pool.")
2/2

Can I use a word like Luddite in a world where the wheel was invented yesterday? Does the word have too many specific, real-world connotations or what?
Primordial Dragon
Creature - Dragon
: ~ gains flying until end of turn. When it loses flying this turn, it deals damage equal to its power to itself.
: ~ loses flying and deals damage equal to twice its power to target creature without flying. Activate this ability only if ~ has flying.
It flings itself from cliffs to catch its prey. Unfortunately its landings aren't very graceful.
3/4

I love this flavorfully.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Primordial Dragon
Creature - Dragon
3/4

I love this flavorfully.

Thank you. I try. I wasn't happy with the either, but with the downside, I didn't want to put an actually cost on it. Could "~ gains flying until end of turn:" be a cost? And "~ loses flying:" also be a cost?
@dtolle: The way it's now, you can activate the second ability 1000 times before the first one resolves. The restriction on the activation is useless. You should put the restriction on the damage part.

As for the set, I really like Megasize. It's like a delayed kicker. :>

"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

This set has dinosaurs, yeah?
That is to say, big creatures.

Dominance - As long as you control the creature with the greatest power, or tied for the greatest power [BONUS]

Hm, would it break the game in half if you could megasize more than once? I mean, it already costs so much that I wonder whether you need that "if there are no counters" clause at all.

I kind of dig the Dominance thing.

Hm, it's tough though, none of these big creature abilities really feel as intriguing to me as Fossilize and Flatten. But maybe it's ok that they're simple, since you're already using up complexity points on your main two abilities? 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I kind of dig dominance too. I almost came up with a worse version of it (that counted your total power, not just the creature with the greatest) but it didn't give me the mana sink I wanted. Still considering it though. If not for this set, then its expansion.

One thing I really like about it is the colours less likely to have big creatures are also more likely to be able to kill big creatures, or reduce their power through -x/-0 etc

I don't know about taking the one-use cap off megasize, but also i don't know why I'm hesitant to. Maybe it seems like it's easier to remember this creature as either size A or size B, instead of any in a range of sizes. Or maybe I think it's easier to balance that way, esp with abilities that are tied into megasizing (like the one that fights when it megasizes).

I agree that both megasize and dominance are simpler and less resonant than the other two, but yeah those two are eating up complexity points as it is. The last ability would be the "kicker" or "cycing" or "morbid" of the set.
I've always liked the flavor of Convoke.
A bunch of dudes worshipping (praying=becoming tapped) a higher power (expensive creature).

Fightcast (needs a better name). You may cast this creature spell for its fightcast cost. if you do, it fights target creature when it enters the battlefield.
These costs will invariably be more expensive and would be a good way to encourage battle cruiser AND take advantage of the massive amounts of mana everyone has.

Convoke has some things going for it (it allays flatten-induced colour screw for one), but it also relies on having lots of small guys.

Fightcast sounds too powerful, turning all your creatures into nekrataals. Dunno about that one.
How about the flavor of a big thing killing a smaller thing by stepping on it?

Stomp [COST] ([COST], : Destroy target creature with power less than this creature's power.)

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

@IMP: It's basically fight, though. (The set will have a lot of fighting.)

@Kuro: I LOVE that unique idea. I don't think I'll use it for this set...but maaaybe in one of its expansions. Then we can have a King Kong who rules the other apes, a Godzilla who rules the other dinosaurs...etc...

If I can't find a place for it there I'll use it somewhere. Or you have to use it somewhere. I love it.

Lunge is too much like just haste though.
@IMP: It's basically fight, though. (The set will have a lot of fighting.)

Not really...first of all, the other creature doesn't get a chance to hit back. Secondly, and more importantly, it's power-to-power, not power-to-toughness, so something that may have survived a fight may die from a stomp.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

There's issue with repeatable removal.
It's waaay too similar to warrant a whole new keyword. Maybe a single card.

Charging Pithecus
Creature—Ape Berserker (C)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Charging Pithecus has a club counter on it, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn. Otherwise, put a club counter on it.
"You just wait 'til I find stick..."
2/2

Viashino Hatchling
Creature—Viashino (C)
Megasize: Put a +1/+1 counter on Viashino Hatchling. (Activate this ability only if this creature has no +1/+1 counters on it and only as a sorcery.)
Viashino tribes are cutthroat from birth. Hatchlings must prove themselves able to defend the nest, or be fed to their brothers and sisters.
1/1

I've been thinking about Dominance, it would work really well in the second set because you'd draft those cards and then start picking megasize cards.
What about roaring? Nothings more scary than hearing a bloodcurdling roar as the forest begins to shake. Maybe use forecast? (Its coming....) OR "Roar [cost] - Exile this card from your hand: [Effect], at the end of your turn, put this card onto the battlefield. Activate this only during your upkeep." Turns vanilla/french vanilla creatures into ETB creatures.

Violent Tyrant
Creature - Lizard
First Strike
Roar - Creatures you control gain haste and first strike until end of turn. (Exile this card from your hand. At the end of your turn put this card onto the battlefield. Activate this ability only during your upkeep.)
5/3
So the common fossilize cards main use is helping me fight land destruction as long as I keep at least 3 mana open every turn(is a :1: conditional instant speed divination worth it?) or I have a card with that ability in the graveyard and 2 mana open?

Seems strange. 

If land destruction is important cards with a CC cost could be pushed a little even at common, you could probably even put overrun in the file without breaking things. 

A monocolored matters subtheme could appear, but I'm not sure that playing decks that try to play as much as possible of a color and as little as possible of a second one would be fun in this set.  

Some kind of mana fixing artifact could be interesting.

moxus of (place) 

Artifact(C)

: add a (color) mana to your mana pool.

(color)(color),,sacrifice Cardname:draw a card.
@dtolle: Roar is alright but it's just kicker pretty much.

@Holck: Fossilize does what you say - gives you a bonus if your opponent destroys your lands - but it can also be put onto your opponents' lands before you blow them up.

I kind of do have a colour-commitment-theme going. But since I don't want flattened lands to make the game unplayable, the most colour-intensive cards are all "" so you have the option of paying more if you don't have the colours for it.

I'm not averse (or is that adverse...) to Overrun...although I'd probably make a variant that rewards having fewer, bigger creatures. Kind of like Overwhelming Stampede.

I don't want to put too many artifacts in the set (where the wheel was invented yesterday) but I do have one fixing artifact so far.
Some numbers. Just making it public record. Since I don't have to worry about print runs and stuff, these are just ballpark numbers and can be liberally fudged later.

Colour/Rarity breakdown

230 cards total

200 for all five colours (may include cycle of colourless-hybrid multicolour)

40/colour

19 commons
        10 uncommons
        8 rare
        3 mythic

30 for artifacts/lands

20 lands

5 basics
        5 commons (cycle)
        5 uncommons (cycle)
        5 rares (cycle)

5 artifacts

5 open (could be artifact or land, but probably land) - non-cycle one-offs

Tribal breakdown
TRIBES

Race breakdown per colour:

Each race has a primary and secondary colour.

Humans: WHITE/green
Apes: GREEN/red
Viashino: RED/black
Surrakar: BLACK/blue
Aven: BLUE/white

Primary: 3 commons, 2 uncommons, 1 rare, 1 mythic
Secondary: 1 common, 1 uncommon, 1 rare

So for each colour:
    + 3 commons of primary race
    + 1 common of secondary race
        = 4/19
    + 2 uncommons of primary race
    + 1 uncommon of secondary race
        = 3/10
    +1 rare of primary
    +1 rare of secondary
        = 2/8
    +1 mythic of primary
        = 1/3

Tribal, grand total per colour: 10/40

First set will focus less on tribes. Second set will introduce a "Tribes vs Monsters" scheme; Dominance will be the main monster mechanic.

Mechanical breakdown
So, I'm going to compare to Innistrad because that set was the bomb.

Flashback cards: 28

White: 4
        Common: 1
        Uncommon: 2
        Rare: 1

Blue: 8
        Common: 4
        Uncommon: 3

Black: 5
        Mythic: 1

Red: 7
        Common: 3

Green: 4
        Common: 2
        Uncommon: 1

Transform cards: 20

White: 2

Blue: 3

Black: 2

Red: 6
        Rare: 2

Green: 7
        Rare: 2
Morbid cards: 9

White: 0

Blue: 0

Black: 3

Red: 1

Green: 5
        Common: 4

Using those numbers, here are some ballparks for the set mechanics so far.

Fossilize: 25

White: 7
        Common: 3-4
        Rare/Mythic: 1-2

Blue: 8
        Common: 4-5

Black: 7
        Common: 3-4

Red: 2
        Common/Uncommon: 1 (a burn spell?)

Green: 1
        Rare: 1 (Amber butterfly)

Flatten: 15

Flatten's an interesting case, because flattening a land is different from flattening other permanents (which actually ramps the opponent a bit in exchange for cheap removal, a la Path). I want at least half my flatten cards to flatten lands, or have the option to flatten a land.

Also, at higher rarities/CMCs I can simply destroy instead of flattening.

White: 2
        Rare/Mythic: 1

Blue: 0-1
        Common: There's that counterspell that sort of flattens a spell.

Black: 3
        Rare/Mythic: 1

Red: 5
        Common/Uncommon: 2-3
        Uncommon: 1-2

Megasize: 15

White: 0-1
        Maybe a Rare/Mythic

Blue: 5

Black: 0-1
        Maybe a Rare/Mythic

Red: 5

Dominance will be the main monster mechanic.

Aw shucks~

Idea: Maybe lands that like being destroyed?

Mana geiser
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
Exile Mana Geiser from your graveyard: Add to your mana pool.

I designed this ages ago, but I think it might work here
Silverback Javelineer

Creature-Ape
Vigilance
, , sacrifice a forest: Destroy target creature with flying.
5/5

Sac outlets for lands
Erupting Hellion

Creature-Hellion
Trample, haste
Erupting Hellion costs 1 less for each land you sacrifice as you cast it.
4/4

Landslide
:Xm::Rm::Gm:
Instant
You may sacrifice X lands instead of paying .
Creatures you control get +X/+0 and trample until end of turn.

Previous post updated.

Landslide seems INSANE. Early win with a good curve out, insta-win on a clogged board. High-risk though. Then again, hard cast for 5 it's pretty much Overrun. I might err on sorcery speed. I like it though.

Hellion is cool too. I'm betting it's most often a turn 4 play. Usually, if you're playing with fossilize, one land is all you want to sac.

Unfortunately, those cards are both in non-fossilize colours, but doesn't mean they're not great cards. Tentatively adding.

The ape's pretty neat, I'm gonna have to see how much flying hate the set needs.

I like the idea of lands that do stuff from the yard, since it works with both LD and mill. However, not sure free mana is the way to go.

EDIT: Also on my mind: brainstorming a better name for Megasize.
Sign In to post comments