Dragon's Maze draft 2!

482 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm starting up the 2nd Dragon's Maze draft a little early, I was planning on waiting til the Return to Gatecrash draft was done but I figured I wanted to have a draft going with picks from Dragon's Maze since my first one is on pack 2 for Gatecrash.

Dragon's Maze
Gatecrash
Return to Ravnica

Pack 1:

Aetherling
Rot Farm Skeleton
Jelenn Sphinx
Wear // Tear
Mindstatic
Azorius Cluestone
Ubul Sar Gatekeepers
Maze Sentinel
Morgue Burst
Mending Touch
Weapon Surge
Sunspire Gatekeepers
Kraul Warrior
Nivix Cyclops
Watery Grave
A pack with Aetherling does not require a full reading of the other cards in the pack.
Aetherling and there's A LOT of blue in this pack we'll see again.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Aetherling. Next.
aetherling
Aetherling

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Always glad to see Aetherling.
Always glad to see Aetherling.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

An 8/1 unblockable that's nearly impossible to kill?  Yeah I'll take that.
I keep screaming Aetherling at my monitor but nothing is happening!

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Uh yeah, Aetherling is a windmill slam bomb.
Aetherling.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
AEtherling but there are many good cards in the pack.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I feel inclined to force blue after that first pick, so how about Beetleform Mage?
Yeah, mage. I think the helix is better.... man, that's a lot of playable white. 

Yeah, mage. I think the helix is better.... man, that's a lot of playable white. 

It's hard for me to pass Helix.   That card has been solid gold for me in two limited events in this format.
Passing Helix hurts, but it could pay off. Beetleform Mage.
Tough one.   I guess the firstblade also in the pack and total lack of green learns me to the Mage.  There wasn't any simic in the first pack either, was there. 
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
We don't have to be a two-color deck do we? This format may favor the strategy of taking the most powerful cards and seeing what is open.
If we take helix we could be izzet splash white or azorius splash red.

I'd rather take helix here and see what comes the next couple of picks.
Eh, just because we picked a blue bomb first, that doesn't mean we need to force it.  Maybe blue just won't work out and then we'll be kicking ourselves for not picking up the helix.

Yeah, I don't reall think you can pass up Helix pick 2.
I get the feeling from my last draft that UWR is not going to be as highly drafted as some connections and I don't really mind being in the Izzet/Azorius/Boros front.  I'd go with the Helix as well.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
I like Beetleform Mage.  It is worse than the helix, but not by too much, and I don't want to go into three different colors this early if other good options exist.  

If the mage was a weaker card, I would go for the helix anyway though, it is really strong.
I also think that the Helix and Beetleform Mage would be the best P1P1 cards, and since we already have Aetherling (in the top 5 for strongest cards in the set) I would be inclined to take Beetleform here.
Beetleform Mage. We want to be playing Aetherling for sure so Helix puts us towards three colors already. Mage is a very strong card and shares a color with Aetherling which helps cut blue as well. Helix over Mage if it was P1P1 though, which makes me wonder what was taken out of this pack. Must have been a foil bomb.
Helix over Mage if it was P1P1 though, which makes me wonder what was taken out of this pack. Must have been a foil bomb.

An uncommon is missing, so maybe Putrefy?

191752181 wrote:
I refuse to pass a Helix for anything but a huge bomb, even if it puts me in three colors on pick two.  We're almost definitely going to be three (or even four) colors anyway, so let's do it by taking the best card.

I also agree that we shouldn't necessarily force blue just yet.  If somebody is taking another uncommon over Helix, that should tell you that RW will be open for at least the seat to our right.
Signals do not exist picks 2-4 pack 1, sending or receiving.

I really think it's so close that it comes down to what signals we send.  If we take the helix, we leave a firstblade and someone to our left will be in Boros FOR THE GTC pack.    Note that if we picked RTR first, then I would take the helix and try to draft izzet or azorious.  I guess we can still do that.
No. Really. There are no signals now. And you should almost never worry about what signals you send because you'll almost never be sending signals to the person you want. 

Case in point: Viashino will almost never "put someone in Boros" pick 3. 

AEtherling is a control finisher. Lightning Helix gets us to the point where we can play it. Never mind the colors, this is the best pick. White or red should end up as the splash (we need three blue by turn seven for AEtherling).

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Helix, quite significantly. Because we are not dummies who marry our first-pick no matter how awesome it is.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Helix.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Helix, because it is soo much better than Homing Lightning
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Helix, quite significantly. Because we are not dummies who marry our first-pick no matter how awesome it is.

Since we've already picked Aetherling, it comes down to whether Aetherling + Helix is stronger than Aetherling + Beetleform Mage.

I would say Aetherling + Beetleform Mage is. Aetherling is one of the strongest cards in the set, but requires you to play a deck that is at least a third blue mana sources to cast it effeciently. Beetleform Mage and Lightning Helix are both strong cards. I would rate them both 3.5 on the numeric scale (with Helix coming out slightly ahead). With such a marginal difference in value I would be inclined to stick to the card that would lead to a mana base where Aetherling is easy to cast.

Aetherling is such a decisive bomb it should always make the final deck. For that reason, the only way Lightning Helix works out better is if the deck ends up Urw. That seems much less likely (in terms of possible combinations) than UGx or Ugx.

Since we've already picked Aetherling, it comes down to whether Aetherling + Helix is stronger than Aetherling + Beetleform Mage.

I would say Aetherling + Beetleform Mage is. Aetherling is one of the strongest cards in the set, but requires you to play a deck that is at least a third blue mana sources to cast it effeciently. Beetleform Mage and Lightning Helix are both strong cards. I would rate them both 3.5 on the numeric scale (with Helix coming out slightly ahead). With such a marginal difference in value I would be inclined to stick to the card that would lead to a mana base where Aetherling is easy to cast.

Aetherling is such a decisive bomb it should always make the final deck. For that reason, the only way Lightning Helix works out better is if the deck ends up Urw. That seems much less likely (in terms of possible combinations) than UGx or Ugx.

It is important that the Mage shares a color with our first-pick, sure, but I'd much rather hedge my bets. What if the guy passing to us has taken Krasis Incubation out of this pack after opening a Simic bomb?

Basically, we might get cut from Blue so speculating a little seems good. If this was pick four and we had three good blue cards, I'd take the Mage (it would also be much more of a signal than it is here). It might not work out every time, but on average you end up with better decks if you try not to lock in your colors too early.
Helix. 4 is a big deal, and the rule in drafts has always got to be p1p1-4: take the best card. Forcing is a fool's game, and worst case scenario we start aiming at fixing picks 6-onward.

Helix is the best card, and if we end up Raka we'll survive longer for having it.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Bad pack but mage is pick.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

But on average you end up with better decks if you try not to lock in your colors too early.

That's odd, because that is exactly the reasoning that arrives at Beetleform Mage. Any deck that first picks Aetherling needs to play blue or else the first pick bomb turns into a wasted pick. Once you are in blue adding Beetleform Mage to the mix only adds G, while Lightning Helix adds both W and R. To actually play Lightning Helix and Aetherling together you need Uwr, while playing Beetleform Mage and Aetherling requires only Ug, which means the final color can be anything.
Wasting your first pick is fine if you get a great deck by reading the signals and drafting the open colors.

I'd be interested to see some analysis of win/loss records of decks that use their first pick vs decks that don't. IDK if that info is out there somewhere but an informal perusal could be started on youtube.
Whatever Greven decides, the conversation has been very useful.   Generally when the arguement among equally knowledgable folks (discounting myself) is this fierce, it means that the margin is very slim so may as well flip a coin.

Do we agree that if Warleaders Helix was monocolored (not blue)  we would draft it here no questions?