Orzhov Extort for Tournament

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I've been playing an Orzhov deck that relies on Extort. It's not so bad against some casual decks but I'm a little concerned. It hasn't been against some of the new hard core aggro decks like Boros/Gruul or the Aristrocrats and I don't know anyone that deals with those decks. I would like to take it to the TCG States Tourney but am unsure if it will even get me placed. If possible I would like some help with this deck here, what it needs and what not and is Orzhov Aggro really something to think about. Comments appreciated.

4 Kingpin's Pet
2 Crypt Ghast
2 Daggerdrome Imp
4 Basilica Screecher
1 Syndic of Tithes
2 Tithe Drinker
2 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Desecration Demon
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
2 Vizkopa Guildmage

2 One Thousand Lashes
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Arrest
2 Pacifism
2 Underworld Connections
1 Debt to the Deathless

Sideboard

3 Murder
1 Immortal Servitude
1 High Priest of Penance
1 Tithe Drinker
2 Stuffy Doll
3 Riot Control
2 Blood Reckoning
2 Arrest

I have considered putting in Typhoid Rats, or some more control to handle the aggro if that is possible...suggestions appreciated.
I think you need more powerful creatures that are not just bodies with extort. A lot of the creatures in your deck do not trade favorably with the creatures you'll be facing at a constructed event. Syndic of Tithes is just going to trade with Burning-Tree Emmisary except that the guy/gal who casted BTE got use out of it and you'll be lucky if you extort with Syndic more than once before you have to block with him. Extort as a win condition is not reliable and it's very slow. Your games are going to be long and your opponent will have a lot of time to cast their bombs. How will this deck which relies on weak 1 and 2 drops going to stand up to cards like Falkenrath Aristocrat, Thundermaw Hellkite, Angel of Serenity, Thragtusk, Voice of Resurgence, Advent of the Wurm and planeswalkers. Here's a list of competitive extort creatures:

Tithe Drinker
Thrull Parasite
Crypt Ghast

If you really wanted to reach a bit you can consider:

Pontiff of Blight
Basilica Guards
Treasury Thrull

In summary it's a short list. If you'll notice everything listed does something else besides just extort. They have value once they hit the board. The best out of the bunch is Tithe Drinker since it's cheap, aggressive, and has two great abilities. Second you need to consider how the cards compare to what other people are going to be playing. How does Kingpin's Pet compare to Vampire Nighthawk and other 3 drop spells/creatures. It really doesn't honestly. Vampire Nighthawk wins 99% of the time both in terms of utility and actually effecting board state. If you drop a Kingpin's Pet your opponent isn't going to care, if you cast a Nighthawk your opponent now has to care about your board state. In fact Kingpins' Pet loses in combat to a lot of 2 drop creatures which is bad news for you.

If I were you i'd consider adding some more solid cards that have immediate value or force your opponent to make difficult choices like:

Vampire Nighthawk
Desecration Demon
High Priest of Penance
Alms Beast
Silverblade Paladin
Boros Reckoner
Tithe Drinker
Restoration Angel
Lingering Souls
Orzhov Charm
Murder
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Terminus

Also with all the bounce effects these days you do not want to rely on enchantments for dealing with your enemy's creatures. One-Thousand Lashes is beaten by Restoration Angel which I guarantee you're going to see a lot of. You want solid removal like Orzhov Charm, Vicitm of Night, Ultimate Price Devour Flesh, Tribute to Hunger, or Mutilate.

Lastly your sideboard should be for decks you expect to see and your weak match ups. Off the top of my head control is going to be very difficult for you. I would consider something like Duress or Sin Collector at the very least.
Wow...thats a lot to take in.  So, looking at some of these creatures, I had some questions.  Like Alms Beast, Thrull Parasite how exactly are these going to help?  I also thought about dropping in an Obzedat and possibly main decking stuffy doll, he maybe more expensive but I like his ability, its a lil like Boros Reckoner.  Also, it seems from the list of cards its seems like it's going towards a lil midrange aggro/control?

I also thought about Typhoid Rats/Gift of Orzhova...basically a makeshift Vampire Nighthawk
I also thought about Typhoid Rats/Gift of Orzhova...basically a makeshift Vampire Nighthawk

Why not...just play Vampire Nighthawk? It's an inexpensive card and better than having to play two cards and spend more mana for a weaker creature.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Wow...thats a lot to take in.  So, looking at some of these creatures, I had some questions.  Like Alms Beast, Thrull Parasite how exactly are these going to help?  I also thought about dropping in an Obzedat and possibly main decking stuffy doll, he maybe more expensive but I like his ability, its a lil like Boros Reckoner.  Also, it seems from the list of cards its seems like it's going towards a lil midrange aggro/control?

Oh how did I forget Obzedat? Yes he's in color and one of the best creatures you could include. Thrull Parasite is an okay 1 drop that isn't human so it can block Stromkirk Noble and he has synergy with Undying by being able to remove counters. He's not something that I would include in every deck, but he's not the worst. Alms Beast is a huge body for 4 mana. There's very little that's going to see play that kills Alms Beast 1 for 1 besides removal. It beats Obzedat, Thragtusk, wurm tokens, and pretty much everything else you're going to see in combat and comes out a turn sooner than most other bombs. Alms Beast actually gets to attack while Desecration Demon rarely does due to his ability.

And yes most of the cards are midrange/control. Extort by itself not a competitive win condition in a constructured format. There are decks that can kill you by turn 4 or 5 and no amount of 1 and 2 drop extort bodies is going to prevent that. You could make a B/W aggro deck if you wanted, but the only extort triggers I'd consider in that kind of deck would be Tithe Drinker and maybe Blind Obedience.

Don't run Stuffy Doll. It's an inferior Boros Reckoner. If you run bad versions of good cards you're going to lose to people that run the good ones. You don't need Boros Reckoner to win a game, but trying to imitate a good deck with budget cards is setting yourself up to lose. You can make a competitive deck on a budget, but it needs to have a clear goal and focus without trying to imitate winning strategies of expensive decks.

Gift of Orzhova is a nice card, but why would you place it on Typhoid Rats? It's weaker than Vampire NIghthawk(and costs 1 mana more to setup) and you get 2 for 1'd when it dies. Meaning your opponent spends 1 card to kill the rats and you lose 2. Now your opponent has essentially a 1 card lead on you. I think you can use gift of Orzhova, but you don't want it on Typhoid rats. Run Vampire Nighthawk and save your gifts for Alms Beast or Silverblade Paladin if you choose to use them.
After much deliberation and mulling and thinking and getting some great advice...I've updated the deck

2 Crypt Ghast
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts
2 Vizkopa Guildmage
3 Tithe Drinker
4 Dutiful Thrull
2 Desecration Demon
4 Vampire Nighthawk
1 High Priest of Penance
2 Orzhov Charm
2 Underworld Connections
2 Victim of Night
3 Gift of Orzhova
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Ultimate Price
1 Debt to the Deathless

12  Swamp
12  Plains

Looking at the 7 vampires I had in here I debated on putting in Vampire Nocturnus.  Other cards I'm thinking about...replacing Teysa with another Obzedat or putting Sorin, Lord of Innistrad or Liliana of the Dark Realms...So far this deck looks better than the last!
It does look better!

Now let's drop Debt to the deathless you have no ramp and standard is fast.

Vizkopa Guildmage again I don't think you have the time to dedicate enough mana to her pump, even if she lives long enough.

Add a Tithe Drinker.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
You're going to have a hard time keeping up with that inflexible of a mana base. I'd suggest running at least 4 of the buddy lands if you are playing on a budget. It will be the best 20 bucks you've spent
Tithe Drinker added.  So should I put Vampire Nocuturnus in here seeing as I have 8 vampires?  And I'm wondering about the Crypt Ghast whether this would help me out at all?  Also still wondering if I should put in Liliana of the Dark Realms
Tithe Drinker added.  So should I put Vampire Nocuturnus in here seeing as I have 8 vampires?  And I'm wondering about the Crypt Ghast whether this would help me out at all?  Also still wondering if I should put in Liliana of the Dark Realms

Vampire Nocturnus is not what you want. He wants to be in a mono-black deck and even then lands can turn him into a dead card. The format moves way too fast for him to be relevant.

Sign In to post comments