Tapping Creatures (Blustersquall) before Combat & Haste Creatures

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Playing a Two-Headed Giant game, and one of the opposing players just played Blustersquall for it's overload cost to tap all creatures after we asked "We're ready for combat. Are you going to do anything?" So we're technically in the "Beginning of Combat Step", if I'm not mistaken.

My teammate is wondering if he can cast Mirri the Cursed and then declare her as an attacker, but none of us are sure if he's allowed to cast a non-Flash Creature at this point. What happens? Did Combat resolve with nothing happening (since we were all tapped out) or does he get a chance to cast any Creature or Sorceries at the last minute before we hit the Declare Attackers step?

Thanks in advance!
Playing a Two-Headed Giant game, and one of the opposing players just played Blustersquall for it's overload cost to tap all creatures after we asked "We're ready for combat. Are you going to do anything?" So we're technically in the "Beginning of Combat Step", if I'm not mistaken.

My teammate is wondering if he can cast Mirri the Cursed and then declare her as an attacker, but none of us are sure if he's allowed to cast a non-Flash Creature at this point. What happens? Did Combat resolve with nothing happening (since we were all tapped out) or does he get a chance to cast any Creature or Sorceries at the last minute before we hit the Declare Attackers step?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the assumption is that you would be in the beginning of combat step and can't cast Mirri.  When you said "ready for combat", that meant you were offering to pass priority all the way to the declare attackers step, and your opponent interrupted that to cast their instant in the beginning of combat.  Now, it is possible that they intended to cast it in your main phase instead, but that is unlikely.  If you ever have a question about what step the game is in, you should ask your opponent to clarify: "When are you casting that?"

Alright, that's what we were thinking. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Yes, the assumption is that you would be in the beginning of combat step and can't cast Mirri.  When you said "ready for combat", that meant you were offering to pass priority all the way to the declare attackers step, and your opponent interrupted that...

Slight clarification: the default shortcut implied by "Ready for combat?" or "Attacks?" or other words indicitave of wanting to attack with some creatures is proposing that everyone pass priority until your opponent(s) has (have) priority during the Beginning of Combat Step. Casting Blustersquall is an acceptance of that shortcut, not an interruption.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Sign In to post comments