Yet Another Time Walk Variant

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hourstealing
Instant
It is now your postcombat main phase. (All spells & abilities on the stack still resolve.)

I picked postcombat because if I made it precombat, blue could use it to get an extra combat phase, which feels red, not blue.  
Would it count as a new turn for Serra Avenger?

I don't know, it's kinda weird. And not that useful considering you don't get to untap or draw and you give your opponent a new turn. On the other hand, you could use it mainly for mana accel, similar to Explore, which is not really blue.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Would it count as a new turn for Serra Avenger?

I don't know, it's kinda weird. And not that useful considering you don't get to untap or draw and you give your opponent a new turn. On the other hand, you could use it mainly for mana accel, similar to Explore, which is not really blue.

Damn. Mana accel. Didn't think of that. I was thinking something more along the lines of "hey I have this sorcery that would be super cool to play right now but I cant because its your turn so now I can." Also clearly planeswalkers. Would lands be OK bcz blue has turn-skipping effects anyways?
Hourstealing
Instant
It is now your postcombat main phase. (All spells & abilities on the stack still resolve.)

I picked postcombat because if I made it precombat, blue could use it to get an extra combat phase, which feels red, not blue.  

Did you mean to make it that phase of the current turn? As worded, it sounds like playing this on an opponent's turn causes it to become the postcombat main phase of the caster's turn. Or something.
Great counter to Ball Lightning (if you don't plan on attacking). Sort of works as a fog. Other uses are hard to think up unless you have a strategy dependant on passing turns.
I'm sure somebody eill find a use for it and they'll be the happiest they've ever been.
I think Opponent's turn > Postcombat main of YOUR turn is the intent.

It should exile the stack like turn-enders.  Since you don't get to uud, or even attack, it would be to Time Stop what Savor the Moment is to Time Warp... only even more downgraded, hence going from 6 to 2 rather than 5 to 3.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I really like it, though I think (a) it should cost a little bit more, and (b) it needs more extensive reminder text.

How about:

Hourstealing
Instant 
It becomes your postcombat main phase. (End the current phase, then each player skips phases until it's your postcombat main phase.) 

This has the side-effect that it becomes more like Time Stop in that it is effectively a counterspell, but it's clearer how it works under the rules.
Temporal Interposition
Instant
Choose draw step, main phase, or combat phase. You are the active player during each instance of the chosen step or phase this turn.
Rules Advisor
Way overpowered.  It's basically ": Target player can't play spells except for instant spells this turn.  Spells you play this turn have flash.  Put a land card from your hand into play."

I mean, not exactly flash, because the stack still has to be empty, but essentially. 
Way overpowered.  It's basically ": Target player can't play spells except for instant spells this turn.  Spells you play this turn have flash.  Put a land card from your hand into play."

I mean, not exactly flash, because the stack still has to be empty, but essentially. 

That's not a particularly good card. But combined with the other "modes" (fog and cycling) it's probably too much.
(All spells & abilities on the stack still resolve.)

You can't do that.
I used this wording a while ago (on a gruul card, ironically):

Version 1:

Seize the Moment
Instant
Cast ~ only during your end step.
You may skip your next turn rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
It is now your pre-combat main phase.
"What value has the future, if I can have the present, again?" -Hyl'napt, Rogue Druid

Version 2:

Opportunity Trap
Instant - Trap
If an opponent cast a spell during your end step, you may pay () rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
"Mind mages take pride in their ability to manipulate time. That makes beating them at their own game even more enjoyable." -Hyl'napt, Rogue Druid

and this is what I was told:

I don't think that works. I think you have to spell out the phases you get.

that said, I like your card better as it's in colors I might play myself

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

That's not a particularly good card. But combined with the other "modes" (fog and cycling) it's probably too much.

Also note that you can skip your opponent's draw by playing this during the upkeep.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I used this wording a while ago (on a gruul card, ironically):

Version 1:

Seize the Moment
Instant
Cast ~ only during your end step.
You may skip your next turn rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
"What value has the future, if I can have the present, again?" -Hyl'napt, Rogue Druid

Version 2:

Opportunity Trap
Instant - Trap
If an opponent cast a spell during your end step, you may pay () rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
"Mind mages take pride in their ability to manipulate time. That makes beating them at their own game even more enjoyable." -Hyl'napt, Rogue Druid

and this is what I was told:

I don't think that works. I think you have to spell out the phases you get.

that said, I like your card better as it's in colors I might play myself

Wow, skipping your turn rather than pay mana cost? Thats  totally blue. I agree pre-combat main phase is green/red though. 

Did you mean to make it that phase of the current turn? As worded, it sounds like playing this on an opponent's turn causes it to become the postcombat main phase of the caster's turn. Or something.

That was the point. The logic being that while you might interrupt their turn, they will still get at least their upkeep step a second time, and you don't really get an entire extra turn. 

I don't get it. How can they not play anything except for instants? They can fine, they just might have to survive through your postcombat main phase. Also it untaps all your opponent's mana if you play it except during your own turn, in which case you wouldn't get to play the bonus land.