Pyromancer Wizard?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm starting at level 11, with a level 10, 11, and 12 item and 9k gold.

Here's the results of about an hour of throwing this guy together.
+17 to most attack rolls, dips to +16 if not targeting reflex.
And a +19 to damage rolls (even the necrotic attack I have because it has the fire keyword), and I can ignore fire resistance and immunity thanks to pyromancy apprentice feature and burn everything. "If the creature is immune to fire, instead treat that creature as having resist fire 25." "Your attacks ignore fire resistance." Treat it like it has resist 25 fire? Okay, I burn through resist fire.

I thought of maybe going with some kinda staff and have staff of ruin? But I don't know if that's going to be better than my ashen rod with it's unerring and energized(fire).

Not sure what else I can do or do better other than sacking AC or defenses for something better.

A 3x3 +18 vs ref, 1d6+19 ignoring immunity and resist at-will seems pretty good.

Not sure what items I should be grabbing either for head/hands/feet, I just found random things.
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 11
Warforged, Mage, Enigmatic Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Pyromancy Apprentice
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Necromancy Apprentice
Level 5 Expert Mage: Pyromancy Expert
Level 8 Expert Mage: Necromancy Expert
Master Mage: Pyromancy Master
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 19, Dex 11, Int 23, Wis 12, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 27 Will: 24
HP: 73 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Nature +11, History +16, Religion +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +13, Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +8, Perception +6, Stealth +5, Streetwise +4, Thievery +5, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Ashen rod)
Level 2: Rod Expertise
Level 4: Burn Everything
Level 6: Stoking the Fire (retrained to Fiery Blood at Level 11)
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: War Wizardry

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Erupting Flare
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Scorching Burst
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Summon Fire Warrior
Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Vezzuvu's Eruption
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Burning Hands
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Darkening Flame
Mage Cantrips: Spook
Mage Cantrips: Suggestion
Mage Cantrips: Chameleon's Mask
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Shield
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Instant Friends
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Fire Shroud
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Shock Sphere
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Fireball
Level 5 Mage Daily Powers: Summon Magma Beast
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Fire Shield
Level 6 Mage Utility Powers: Vezzuvu's Armor
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Fire Burst
Level 7 Mage Encounter Powers: Fire Sea Travel
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Wall of Fire
Level 9 Mage Daily Powers: Firescythe
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Energy Devourer
Level 10 Mage Utility Powers: Repelling Shield

ITEMS
Amulet of Protection +3, Shadowdance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Ashen rod of the Churning Inferno +3, Flame Bracers (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier)

Burn Everything is a trap feat. Seriously, nowhere near enough creatures in the game with fire immunity to make that worth a feat. Also, a lot of your power selections are really suboptimal...

I'm going to point you towards the wizard handbook because I don't really like much of this build to be quite frank. 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Burn Everything is a trap feat. Seriously, nowhere near enough creatures in the game with fire immunity to make that worth a feat.

Our campaign is headed towards mostly homebrewed devils. Most of which are immune/resist fire. And I tried to just optimize the fire damage with him.
You want a Cinder wand (it's a superior wand, so it requires a feat for proficiency.)  It gives a bonus to your fire damage rolls.
I second the use of wands.  The first reason like Undrhil pointed out is that you can take a dragon tooth wand (I think that's what they are called) gives a bonus to fire damage amongst other goodies.  Secondly, the wand expertise feat allows you to ignore the most common means to lower your accuracy (cover and superior cover).  They also can have enchantments that contain a fire attack that you can use every encounter. 

Now for your actual build I would recommend going for Evocation as your secondary school instead of necromancy, mainly because a decent amount of the powers that are fire based also have the evocation keyword.  And also because powers that have the evocation keyword are good powers to fall back on if you want.  They are much better than the necromancy powers at least.  I would also recommend not taking pyromancy master and instead take evocation master.

If you're not set on your race being warforged, the Tiefling race offers many feats that are amazingly good for a fire blaster.  Warforged just doesn't offer very much for your build archtype.

You should try to hit 13 wisdom and 13 dex by paragon if possible or at the very least one in paragon and one in epic.  The reason for this is because it opens up certain feats that will be very useful for a paragon tier fire blaster.  Dex opens up dual implement spellcaster for example.  You also have no initiative boost so a little bit of dex could help there.

You don't have your theme listed but I see you took powers from the primoridial adept theme.  Good choice.  Another option was Infernal Prince for a +1 to accuracy.

Your powers look good, though I might make a few changes if I could reference to my own fire blaster.  I'm at work though so that will have to wait heh.

Good job
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

With Wands you lose both Dragonshards and Item Bonus, Dragontooth is just +1/2/3 damage +1 hit vs Ref. What you're thinking of is the Incendiary Dagger which is +2/3/4 fire damage and +1 hit vs Ref. That still locks you into choosing only Fire powers.

There's only 2 real ways to build a decent Wizard (Mage) Pyromancer pre-16, neither of them are very good, and neither of them involve Warforged (you want Genasi or Tiefling).
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Wouldn't it be recommended if he added another element? Say, lightning or ice?
Wouldn't it be recommended if he added another element? Say, lightning or ice?

Adding a 2nd element is harder for casters than it is for weapon users. Illogical, I know but Flaming Weapon only converts untyped damage, which rarely exists with spells but practically every weapon-only user (ie. not swordmages, paladins, clerics) power doesn't have a damage type already; all they need to do is use a Flaming Weapon and take a PP that adds another damage type and all their attacks will be dual typed. Casters have to either pick all of a certain damage type powers (suboptimal), use a part-conversion weapon (I believe only Fire, Radiant, and Necrotic exist with the first 2 only existing late paragon), or take a PP that adds another damage type - pick 2. Or you can waste feats on Admixing multiple powers. Well, there is another option, wait til Epic.

You can start off a Pyromancer, and you can end a Pyromancer, midgame? Kinda sucky.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
 Casters have to either pick all of a certain damage type powers (suboptimal), use a part-conversion weapon (I believe only Fire, Radiant, and Necrotic exist with the first 2 only existing late paragon)

You can start off a Pyromancer, and you can end a Pyromancer, midgame? Kinda sucky.

Not entirely, with Radiant- Crusader's Weapon will work for part-conversion, but you need to be able to use Holy Symbols.
If you wanna get a little weird, and can get Ki Focuses as an impliment, then you can use Embers of Black Flame as your level 10 Ki-Focus. Embers of Black Flame adds necrotic to all of your fire damage, and fire to all of your necrotic damage. The encounter power is ok, but you need to hit with a shadow power. Now, enemies would need fire and necrotic defences.

Its been mentioned before, but if you really want to build a wizard who nukes things, you should pick Genasi or Tiefling as your race. Consider using the Infernal Prince theme, it gives you +1 to your fire attack rolls. 

For lightningbuilds you obviously want a genasi, but for firebuilds I don't feel the tiefling is a bad choice. They have for example the feats Hellfire Blood and Hellfire Arcanist.

Looking at the build I would consider going evocation as your second school as there are a lot of Fire powers that also have the evocation keyword (especially after errata). I would look at the Infernal Prince as a theme and Master of Flame as a paragonpath. And as already mentioned you might consider changing race.

I would also look at the feats you want to have and when you want them and maybe adjust your ability scores accordingly. Feats like Enlarge Spell, Dual Implement Caster and Superior Will are all good feats that do have an ability requirement.

PS: If you are going the incendiary dagger route there is the option to multiclass into a swordmage at level 10/11 and taking the Malec-Janissary paragon path. It would fix a lot of problems you might have with picking the best powers.
If you wanna get a little weird, and can get Ki Focuses as an impliment, then you can use Embers of Black Flame as your level 10 Ki-Focus. Embers of Black Flame adds necrotic to all of your fire damage, and fire to all of your necrotic damage. The encounter power is ok, but you need to hit with a shadow power. Now, enemies would need fire and necrotic defences.

Its been mentioned before, but if you really want to build a wizard who nukes things, you should pick Genasi or Tiefling as your race. Consider using the Infernal Prince theme, it gives you +1 to your fire attack rolls. 

I am really kind of confused here.  If I am playing a pyromancer, I'm already ignoring fire resistance.  All of my powers are fire powers so I can take advantage of ignoring fire resistance on enemies.  I don't need an additional damage type because enemies are going to take the full damage of my powers (unless they have resist all of some value.)  Why do I want to have an additional damage type added to my powers? 

I am really kind of confused here.  If I am playing a pyromancer, I'm already ignoring fire resistance.  All of my powers are fire powers so I can take advantage of ignoring fire resistance on enemies.  I don't need an additional damage type because enemies are going to take the full damage of my powers (unless they have resist all of some value.)  Why do I want to have an additional damage type added to my powers? 

I generally wouldn't want it on there (especially necrotic- there are other ones with some value, but not necrotic).  The OP noted that there may be some homebrew immune to fires, though.

Speaking of which: OP- there is literally one fire immune devil in the entire game (the War Devil Spearfighter, a level 28 standard).  Talk to your DM about this- if he's actually putting in immune to fire devils, then he's messing with fire based characters in a way that devils in 4e normally shouldn't.  4e limited immunities to elements, for very good reason.

So you can ignore immunity, and so you can deal an additional 5-10 damage

So you can ignore immunity, and so you can deal an additional 5-10 damage

If I want to ignore immunity, I can take a feat that allows me to treat fire immunity as resist 25 fire, which I then ignore.  Are you saying that there *are* enough monsters that are immune to fire that I should look at adding an extra damage type but not enough monsters immune to fire to just ignore fire immunity outright?
Did you miss the +damage part? And resounding thunder.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You want a Cinder wand (it's a superior wand, so it requires a feat for proficiency.)  It gives a bonus to your fire damage rolls.

My theme gives me rod proficiency, which allows me to get the Ashen rod, which is +1 to attacks vs Ref, which most, if not all, my attack do target. THEN. Above the dragontooth wand, it gives me a +2/3/4 to fire, rather than +1/2/3 to all damage. I'm mostly doing just fire anyway. So, the Ashen wand seems to be better than lowered accuracy and less damage for a bit of extra damage in the 1/20 times I hit.
Show
For lightningbuilds you obviously want a genasi, but for firebuilds I don't feel the tiefling is a bad choice. They have for example the feats Hellfire Blood and Hellfire Arcanist.

Looking at the build I would consider going evocation as your second school as there are a lot of Fire powers that also have the evocation keyword (especially after errata). I would look at the Infernal Prince as a theme and Master of Flame as a paragonpath. And as already mentioned you might consider changing race.

I would also look at the feats you want to have and when you want them and maybe adjust your ability scores accordingly. Feats like Enlarge Spell, Dual Implement Caster and Superior Will are all good feats that do have an ability requirement.

PS: If you are going the incendiary dagger route there is the option to multiclass into a swordmage at level 10/11 and taking the Malec-Janissary paragon path. It would fix a lot of problems you might have with picking the best powers.

I took warforged for the ability score compliments to int and con, but I've made a few changes to my build.

Forsake defenses for a bit more accuracy and damage, I don't draw OA's thanks to my armor, so anything getting close enough should be getting burnt to a crisp, went tiefling as a result for a heroic tier +2/3/4 rather than a paragon tier +3/4 and grabbed dual implement spellcasting as well. I kept ignoring fire immunity because my dm is even talking about sending things completely immune to magic at us, otherwise I believe I would have grabbed enlarge spell  in its place at level 12 when I can retrain again. I'm stating as primodial adept rather than inferal prince(?) because I like the +2 damage more than the +1 to attack rolls when I'm already at +18 vs Reflex just at level 11, +19 is just getting silly. Plus I like the fact that my damage modifier is +22, higher than my friend's rogue's even with him abusing frost cheese. And again, I'm keeping the rod for ashen rod's unerring and fire bonus and the ac and ref boost from expertise over a wand and wand expertise.

Also I checked compendium, there's 50>x>20 monsters immune to fire. And we most definitely will be facing demons immune to fire, as we already have faced 1.

And took master of flame for all the features. Though, I did kinda like that level 20 power from enigmatic mage.. 10d10.. yeah costs me some health, but damn.
Went evocation over necromancy, yay semi-'brutal' spells!

Also took Arc Lightning and admixtured it to fire. Now instead of my unfriendly attack that dealt fire damage, I have a two target, 1d6+22, +3 if target is bloodied

Show

level 11
Tiefling, Mage, Master of Flame
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Evocation Apprentice
Level 8 Expert Mage: Evocation Expert
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Fire
Arcane Admixture Power: Arc Lightning
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 23, Wis 13, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 20 Reflex: 25 Will: 21
HP: 73 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +9, Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +9, Perception +6, Stealth +8, Streetwise +5, Thievery +6, Athletics +5

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Ashen rod)
Level 2: Rod Expertise
Level 4: Burn Everything
Level 6: Stoking the Fire (retrained to Dual Implement Spellcaster at Level 11)
Level 8: Hellfire Blood
Level 10: Hellfire Arcanist
Level 11: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Freezing Burst
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Arc Lightning

ITEMS
Amulet of Protection +3, Shadowdance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Ashen rod of the Churning Inferno +3, Flame Bracers (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Ashen rod of Revenge +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

my dm is even talking about sending things completely immune to magic at us

You're the 2nd person in a month to have mentioned this possibility. Please educate your DMs as to how class balance works and that making things magic immune is just intentionally screwing over specific PCs without being remotely creative about it. If he wants to challenge you specifically, he just needs to plop a multi-attacking lurker next to you.
I'm stating as primodial adept rather than inferal prince(?) because I like the +2 damage more than the +1 to attack rolls when I'm already at +18 vs Reflex just at level 11, +19 is just getting silly.

If you're dealing over 30 damage per hit, +1 hit > +2 damage.
Plus I like the fact that my damage modifier is +22, higher than my friend's rogue's even with him abusing frost cheese. And again, I'm keeping the rod for ashen rod's unerring and fire bonus and the ac and ref boost from expertise over a wand and wand expertise.

I'll say it again, you're losing out massively by not using a Staff. It's so much more Damage that you can afford to go with an Accurate version, and the expertise feat lets you wear different armor (Battle Harness)
*smiles*

Yeah the enigmatic mage does have a nice attack, but the lvl 16 benefit of Master of Flame can just get so crazy  together with Enlarge Spell.

It is however the reason I don't think Arc Lightning is the best partyfriendly option. I would admixture with Winged Horde. Seeing it's party friendly it's something you can easily increase in size so it works wonders with the Master of Flame features and also works with enlarge Spell. One has to exploit synergy obviously ;)

I see you chose Freezing Burst aswell. It is a great power, but using admixture twice though is a lot of featspace you could be using on other feats so I wouldn't advice it. Heroic and paragon atleast you're pretty featstarved with so many great options xD.

When you have a retraining slot left I would suggest retraining Hellfire Arcanist to Fiery Blood at lvl 11. Doesn't add any damage exept when someone hits you with fire damage, but it's still possible damage.
How does the staff do more damage? What staffs make it so good over the ashen rod's abilities?
How does the staff do more damage? What staffs make it so good over the ashen rod's abilities?

DRAGONSHARD.

1) Staffs are weapons, rods are not.  So you can attach a shard to a staff, but not to a rod (Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth if all of your attacks are fire, Siberys Shard of the Mage if not).

2) Staff of Ruin- +Item Bonus= +level of the staff.

And it can be an Accurate implement, so you don't lose out on the accuracy. 
So I bought staff of ruin level 8, used my 12th level item to get the +3 fire shard, grabbed another +2 staff

(and recommendations on what the second staff should be? I just used my 10th level item for this unique staff which I think isn't completely legal? Seems like a specialty staff, but I'm open to suggestions for off hand, maybe an offhand wand that has a nice property or such?)

Switched superior implement and expertise to staffs. Dropped the health buff background so get imbuer so I can just make my own stuff on the go, rather than needing to stop in a town. I lose out on 8 health, big whoop. I'll get a litte back as I increase my con score.

Is there anything other than war wizardry and war wizard expertise (which is funny how wizards aren't proficient in light blades or heavy blades normally) that can make my attacks a little more party friendly? A lot of the attacks are "each creature in the burst" and I feel like that could become quite a nuisance with 2/4 players being 'melee' (barbarian and a burst/blast sorc). I've hit them in the past with my swordmage/wizard in the past, but at that time I had WWE and the attacks would only do half damage on a miss.

Also, I think I'd want to grab Destructive Wizardry (along with enlarge spell). "+2/3/4 to arcane damage rolls, if I hit two or more creatures" which even with my at wills, and all my encounters.. I should be hitting 2 or more. So, I sacked burn everything, because if he does send fire immune stuff at us, my atwill does lightning and fire. Though I'm tempted to take freezing burst in arc lightning's place so I could also use Arcane Fire making enemies vun to the cold on my atwill, so I'd deal another 5 damage with it as well.. And then even Stroking the Fire.. So many choices.

Anyways, this is what I have so far then.

Show

level 11
Tiefling, Mage, Master of Flame
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Evocation Apprentice
Level 8 Expert Mage: Evocation Expert
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Fire
Arcane Admixture Power: Arc Lightning
Background: Imbuer (Imbuer Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 23, Wis 13, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 25 Fort: 20 Reflex: 24 Will: 21
HP: 64 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +9, Heal +6, Insight +6, Intimidate +9, Perception +6, Stealth +9, Streetwise +5, Thievery +7, Athletics +5

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Hellfire Blood
Level 6: Stoking the Fire (retrained to Dual Implement Spellcaster at Level 11)
Level 8: Hellfire Arcanist
Level 10: Destructive Wizardry
Level 11: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Arc Lightning
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Scorching Burst

ITEMS
Amulet of Protection +3, Flame Bracers (heroic tier), Accurate staff of Ruin +2, Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (paragon tier), Battle Harness Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Accurate staff of Magius
RITUALS
Enchant Magic Item, Transfer Enchantment, Disenchant Magic Item, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Deep Pockets, Mordenkainen's Joining
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

OT question. If I want to put Arcane Admixture on a fire power to make monsters resist it less often, which is the best addition to go for? Cold, Acid, Lightning or Thunder? Because some creatures might be multi-resistant...so which combination is the least often?
If you are a pyromancer (mage school) you already ignore resistance.

Asuming you are not a pyromancer it doesn't really matter that much. Fire/cold sounds like a combo that few will be able to both resist. Might even be able to throw in some frostcheese if you have some featslots left.