New Shoes

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
After a few special modifications, my shoes are ready for running this weekend.

Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Interesting. What modifications did you make to your shoes? Also, ever think about getting new carpet1? How about at least cleaning up? Every time you show a picture of your house, it appears as if Quebecois hobos have been camping out in it.

This may or may not be a set up.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Interesting. What modifications did you make to your shoes? Also, ever think about getting new carpet1? How about at least cleaning up? Every time you show a picture of your house, it appears as if Quebecois hobos have been camping out in it.

This may or may not be a set up.

No because it isn't my house and I have a rugrat that tears the place up. But it's cool because tomorrow she will be cleaning up that crap. HD makes a mess too, but that's in the bedroom.

Anyway, if you are familiar with the Skeletoe Amps/Jolts/Lites (there are a few names depending on which distributor you get them through but they are essentially all the same), they tend to get horrible reviews from the minimalist community because, well they aren't minimalist. They are toe shoes with a Nike Free sole on the bottom and a large heel-to-toe drop.

Unfortunately for me, by the time I discovered minimalist running I had already done plenty of harm to my knee. So even though the shoes have helped me a lot, my knees still don't appreciate the obstacle races I do as there is a lot of impact on them.

My solution, which I will try out this weekend, was to take the Amps, measure the sole at the forefoot with calipers, and then cut the rest of the sole (particularly the heel) to the same height to get rid of the heel elevation. The toe comparments still give my toes plenty of freedom, the sole is soft enough that I can still get some ground feel (not as much as the vibrams obviously, but much better than a normal shoe), I can keep my running form and won't have to worry about heel-striking, the sole should help give a little extra cushion to my knees when jumping off of walls and such, and I should have much better traction (sometimes I felt like I was ice skating through the mud in my vibrams).
No because it isn't my house and I have a rugrat that tears the place up. But it's cool because tomorrow she will be cleaning up that crap. HD makes a mess too, but that's in the bedroom.

You know, there are rat traps you can use to get rid of the rugrats. 
Anyway, if you are familiar with the Skeletoe Amps/Jolts/Lites (there are a few names depending on which distributor you get them through but they are essentially all the same), they tend to get horrible reviews from the minimalist community because, well they aren't minimalist. They are toe shoes with a Nike Free sole on the bottom and a large heel-to-toe drop.

Unfortunately for me, by the time I discovered minimalist running I had already done plenty of harm to my knee. So even though the shoes have helped me a lot, my knees still don't appreciate the obstacle races I do as there is a lot of impact on them.

My solution, which I will try out this weekend, was to take the Amps, measure the sole at the forefoot with calipers, and then cut the rest of the sole (particularly the heel) to the same height to get rid of the heel elevation. The toe comparments still give my toes plenty of freedom, the sole is soft enough that I can still get some ground feel (not as much as the vibrams obviously, but much better than a normal shoe), I can keep my running form and won't have to worry about heel-striking, the sole should help give a little extra cushion to my knees when jumping off of walls and such, and I should have much better traction (sometimes I felt like I was ice skating through the mud in my vibrams).

Interesting. I thought the sole looked as if it had been cut, but it wasn't too clear in the picture. There are actually a lot of people that do this to their shoes. 
There are a few new models of Vibrams you can try out for raction. The Spyridons have a pretty aggressive sole, ut still very flexible and minimalist.I like it much better than the Trek sole that is used in a lot of their older models.
 haven't had a chance to wear my Vibrams much lately. For one, I reinjured my MCL. Toally sucks. Haven't been able to do sprints in a while. Also, since I've been working at my university on an FDA clinical study, I've had to pretend I'm an adult and dress less casual. 
I still wear them on the eekends, and whenever I don't go in to work, but it isn't as often as I'd like. 
Hopefully I can heal up quickly, and get back into my sprint routine. Still, I'm not looking to push it. I've already re-injured my MCL once. I'm not looking to do it again.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
I checked out the Spyridons but other than being a lot more expensive, they still will have no cushion for my landings and while it has pretty good tread compared to other vibrams, it just doesn't look like it would be enough for the mud that I am running through.

I figured it would work out all right since I cut my Nike SFBs a while ago (that seemed to be as close to a minimalist boot as I can get for work without having one custom made).
Get a room you two!
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Says the guy who a while back couldn't stop talking about his Skeletoes.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I got myself a new pair of boots yesterday. Water-resistant Gore-Tex uppers, waterproof leather lowers, and zippered sides. I've never tried the brand (Bates) before, but my brother swears by them.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
They sound terribly clunky.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Says the guy who a while back couldn't stop talking about his Skeletoes.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
They're surprisingly comfortable, so far.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
I've seen recently some guy wear toe-shoes, but they were sewn as if they were meant to be semi-official, like something you may wear to office with a dress code. Except you know, five-toed.
The Guard says it best.
I was thinking about trying these out.  Good price point for me as they will likely not last long.

www.brooksrunning.com/PureDrift/1101411D...

Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Hrm... I probably need new boots.  I have literally worn a hole through the leather of my boots in one spot.  The weird thing is it's not a part I put weight on1...

Alas, my pediatric protection prerequisites prevent me from getting a vibram or something like that.
________
1There's the really solid leather piece that covers your heal, ya?  Well, right above that in the back where it's sewn into a more flexible piece of leather, the one that goes half-way up your shins, that's where the hole is.  It's above and behind my ankle.  How the hell did I wear a hole there?  And it's not just the one boot, the other one doesn't have a hole yet but it's pretty worn...
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
Try looking into the Bates boots. They've got a good selection.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Draco, did you recently get a job as a Bates Boots salesperson?
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
No, but he is the master of Bates Boots.
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne! Resident Invisible Man Lurker in the House of Trolls A Testament to My Glory
No, I'm just trying to master my Bates.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Try looking into the Bates boots. They've got a good selection.

Ugh, laces?  Pass.
Resident Over-Educated Ivory-Tower Elitist [You don't have the Need-to-Know for that, citizen]
Are you lazy? Or just don't know how to tie?
Nah. He's just one of those damn dirty hippies that wears Jesus sandals.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Actually, he likes cowboy boots. He's wearing them in that pic of him on his motorcycle.
I wear hiking boots.
And at work I wear muck boots.

On a side note, I got the kids each a pair of toe shoes.

He is a government employee, so both. 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

He is a government employee, so both. 

Which reminds me of something.
I was writing a report to send to the DEP and my boss was reviewing it. He said I wasn't being redundant enough or explaining things thoroughly enough. I thought I was doing rather well so I questioned him about his remarks. He replied "This is going to the state, so it has to be written so a 3 year old could understand it".

I burst out laughing!
Someone did a study of effective hours worked and apparently the average govt employee works only 2 hours a day.

I'm trying to figure out which sectors I can get in on for that

I've got a new set of Brahma boots last august that have held up really well so far.
Steel toed, slip resistant, water proof, nice leather, and gortex uppers with a hard rubber sole on the bottom.

The initial fit kind of sucked until they broke in, and now they are almost as comfortable as my loafers. They are still horrendous for driving anything but an automatic of course (which is why I keep my loafers in the car).

http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Someone did a study of effective hours worked and apparently the average govt employee works only 2 hours a day.

The A and B students go to work for the private sector, the C and D students end up working for the gov't.
What do you expect?

Was watching a PENNDOT crew work on the road a few days ago... one guy was shoveling while 3 more were standing around "supervising".
It's only tax money...

Eh, lazy to a degree, but more of that I just don't like them.  They're messy, can catch on things, and if the boot goes up high enough then the laces are either purely decorative or a real pain.

The only good thing I have to say about laces is that they're a handy material in a MacGyver situation.

Hell, I think I only have two pairs of shoes that have laces.  One's my dress shoes (which I would replace with nice shiny black cowboy boots if I dressed up more then twice a year) and the other's my sneakers which I only wear for my work-outs.  And if I had a local place that sold 'em, I'd totally replace those with vibrams or something.  But seeing as I won't buy a pair of shoes I haven't tried, I'm still going with the cheap sneakers.

But yes, I wear my cowboy boots pretty much everywhere for something around five or six years now.

Not R&D or T&E, I can tell you that.

Aren't you already a high school janitor? Isn't that a government job?

I've got a new set of Brahma boots last august that have held up really well so far.
Steel toed, slip resistant, water proof, nice leather, and gortex uppers with a hard rubber sole on the bottom.

The initial fit kind of sucked until they broke in, and now they are almost as comfortable as my loafers. They are still horrendous for driving anything but an automatic of course (which is why I keep my loafers in the car).

Those boots sound terrible.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Micha's a janitor, too?

Yes. We joke around about ZB being a janitor because we feel bad that he is actually a Quebecois hobo living outside of HD's waste of money condo. Micha, though, is a real janitor. Micha also has terrible taste in shoes.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I was thinking about trying these out.  Good price point for me as they will likely not last long.

From what I've heard, Brooks are a pretty good brand with pretty good shoes. I haven't owned a pair, soI can't say, but they don't look to bad. At $100.00 they should be easily replaceable once they do break apart. What sort of mileage have you gotten out of your previous shoes?
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

From what I've heard, Brooks are a pretty good brand with pretty good shoes. I haven't owned a pair, soI can't say, but they don't look to bad. At $100.00 they should be easily replaceable once they do break apart. What sort of mileage have you gotten out of your previous shoes?

Since I have been moving toward lighter, softer more minimalist shoes, they have not been lasting as long.  I got about four months out of my last pair of Nikes.  Ballpark 500 miles, and they are toast.  I should have replaced them a month ago.  Did my last run on them yesterday, going to pick up something today.  I also want to find some new fitted socks.
Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
Since I have been moving toward lighter, softer more minimalist shoes, they have not been lasting as long.  I got about four months out of my last pair of Nikes.  Ballpark 500 miles, and they are toast.  I should have replaced them a month ago.  Did my last run on them yesterday, going to pick up something today.  I also want to find some new fitted socks.

A true minimalist shoe should last you a good while with proper running form. I'm not sure what you had, though, and I don't think some of the transitional shoes hold up as well.

A true minimalist shoe should last you a good while with proper running form. I'm not sure what you had, though, and I don't think some of the transitional shoes hold up as well.

I think I have a pretty good running style, but it has been a while since I had a trainer look at my gait.  I definetely do not heel stamp, and never get shin splints or knee pain.  My last pair were Nike Free 3.0.

Tried out some fitted Nike running socks yesterday...awful.

Good day to shop for shoes, blowing 20 right now, do not feel like running in it.

You can find something that has a Vibram sole. It doesn't need to have the toe-shoe design. Merrel makes minimalist shoes that have a Vibram made sole. Several of their models also hav a zero heel-to-toe drop.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Shin splints!
Shades of PT when I was in the Army!

But that may have had something to do with them running us down tank trails in combat boots... the dirty bastards.
Shin splints!

But that may have had something to do with them running us down tank trails in combat boots... the dirty bastards.

That, and you had terrible running form.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Shin splints!

That and the fact that the Army does not teach good running form and the fact that you often end up running with extra weight which just makes the heel striking even worse.
Yup, running form is key. People don't realize how important it is. I think a lot of time people that have bad running form and go for a run and then claim that they "feel the burn" in their calves and legs are just feeling the pain cause by having bad running form. When you correct your running form, you're able o run longer, and you feel a lot better afterwards.

Also, BN, didn't the army come out and say that Vibrams gave people an edge in running during their PT exams that was unfair to other soldiers? Maybe the Army, and the militry in general, should look into teaching soldiers proper running form. It would cut down on injuries, and reduce costs by having less injuries to pay for. 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Also, BN, didn't the army come out and say that Vibrams gave people an edge in running during their PT exams that was unfair to other soldiers? Maybe the Army, and the militry in general, should look into teaching soldiers proper running form. It would cut down on injuries, and reduce costs by having less injuries to pay for. 

Yes they did. They said a lot of contradictory things that basically amounted to "OMG it's new and different and therefore bad because we hate change!"

They said they were an unfair advantage. They said they lead to injuries. They finally settled on "detracts from a professional military appearance" even though the Army is the only service to issue a total ban on them. Most services leave it to the commander's discretion.
Why didn't the Army complain about the shoes allowing you to fly? Obviously they were grasping for excuses. The least they could have done was come up with some interesting ones.

That would be counterproductive. They were already researching the possibility of humvee tranformers that fly (I wish I was joking) and claiming that the shoes fly would only lead to a fleet of vehicles with funny-looking toe-tires.
Just pulled the trigger on the Brooks Puredrift.  They are extremely comfortable With a wide toe box.  They manufacturers insole can be removed to achieve a zero drop.  I will probably run on them a couple of times with the insole before I try them without.  I don't think they will need to be broken in, but I am going to wear them around the house today as the fit is unique.  Gonna try them out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Other than good running form, I cannot say enough about stretching before and after.  I also like to end my runs with a two mile walk. 
Sign In to post comments