essentials magic items

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
i recently purchased a set of the essentials product line and was reading through them and noticed that there are very few magic items. i don't really want to buy more products right now until I've played the game a bit & magic items seem a bit more complicated in 4e than previous editions so i was wondering w where or What are the guidelines for magic item creation? i plan to get Mordenkainen's Magical Emporium but that is a few months down the road and I'm not interested in Insider as i plan keep my game essentials only since i am running a of people who have never played d&d before.
reread my post and isnt that exactly why 4e is no more? sorry to sound rude but you didnt resolve my issue at all or answer my question based on my original post.
There are no official guidelines for homebrewing your own items, and I am not aware of any community-written guide on the topic.

Your best resource for homebrewing anything, whether that be items, powers, feats, classes, or whatever else, is to use existing material as a template or reference and extrapolate from there.  If purchasing a book is not an option, see if your library has any 4e D&D books available.  Besides Mordenkainen's Magical Emporium, the Player's Handbook, Adventurer's Vault, and Adventurer's Vault 2 are good resources for items.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
i recently purchased a set of the essentials product line and was reading through them and noticed that there are very few magic items. i don't really want to buy more products right now until I've played the game a bit & magic items seem a bit more complicated in 4e than previous editions so i was wondering w where or What are the guidelines for magic item creation? i plan to get Mordenkainen's Magical Emporium but that is a few months down the road and I'm not interested in Insider as i plan keep my game essentials only since i am running a of people who have never played d&d before.

There are no real guidelines, probably because WotC wanted to be able to sell books filled with items. Even the original PHB didn't contain many items. The essentials books give you, guess what, pretty much just the essentials.

It's pretty easy to make items in 4e, though. Just keep them very simple. Items tend to do a single thing. If it's not particularly powerful on its own, like a +2 bonus to a skill, or darkvision, then it's constant. If it's about as powerful as a power, then it's one "level" slower to recharge. If it's equivalent to an at-will, then it's an encounter power. If it's equivalent to an encounter power, then it's a daily power. The more conditionally useful something is, the more often it's useable.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.