Anything goes draft!

348 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright for fun I'm gonna try an anything goes draft.  By that I mean any card in the game is up for grabs and it will be random.  It'll be set up like a regular booster pack with 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommon and I'll go back to 11 commons instead of 10 with a land.

My friends and I have no idea what are in the packs so everyone is on equal footing.

Pack 1:

Oracle's Attendants
Ghost-Lit Nourisher
Eater of the Dead
Punishing Fire
Keldon Marauders
Way of the Thief
Chorus of Might
Giant Growth
Sign in Blood
Stone Rain
Remove Soul
Soul Warden
Feast of the Unicorn
Prodigal Sorcerer
Forced Adaptation 
Ghost-Lit Nourisher is my pick. Repeatable pump spell is very good. 
I think I just got a nosebleed.

I guess... I'm going to focus on utility spells for now. Which are: Punishing Fire, Giant Growth, Sign in Blood, and Remove Soul.

I feel like Remove Soul is a strong pick here. 

How do you generate randomized packs? This looks like it could be fun to try IRL. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

The one rule we have is the pack needs to have at least 2 cards of each color to start off with.  Otherwise anything it up for grabs.
The one rule we have is the pack needs to have at least 2 cards of each color to start off with.  Otherwise anything it up for grabs.

This is a really good idea, thanks!

Probably either the Punishing Fire or Remove Soul for the removal. Nothing is really bomby here.
I feel pulled to Tim...

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

It seems like the pick would have to be either the Prodigal Sorceror or Ghost-Lit Nourisher. I'll give my vote to whichever of those two is ahead once all the other votes are tallied.
I bet good creatures are going to be hard to come by, so give me the Tim.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
TIMmy!  So much of a soft spot for him.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Tim and wheel the remove soul, and hope for some of those ridiculous earlier set OP blue cards
Tim and wheel the remove soul, and hope for some of those ridiculous earlier set OP blue cards

Well since it looks like the Tim Train is leaving the station, I will put my full weight behind it now. Anyone who played from the beginning should have a soft spot for it. Blue just got insanely good commons in that set.
Tim got storm crowed, let's be real.

This is hilarious. I'm going to go against the grain and say Keldon Marauders. Red beatdown seems like a safe direction without knowing whats coming.
No school like the old school.  Timmeh.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Nourisher but would be fine with Fire too. Tim is not on the radar.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Ghost-Lit Nourisher.
I like the Marauders here.  Soul Warden was a beast back in the day, and Punishing fire could be good; we just don't know about the life gain in the randoms here.  Marauders will typically take out anything that blocks it, and he's guaranteed to do 2 points if you play him.
It's between the nourisher and remove soul for me. Remove soul seems much more reliable to me.

Greven, Are Unhinged/unglued in the mix?
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
It's between the nourisher and remove soul for me. Remove soul seems much more reliable to me.

Not in this one no.  If people want them in a future one I can add them.

Not in this one no.  If people want them in a future one I can add them.

I will give you a cookie if you get around to doing an Un-draft.  Two cookies if it's soon.

On that note:

I'll go Remove Soul.  It's essential hard removal and leaving 2 mana open is no big thing.
How do you simulate the picks of the other players? Are they real people or is a computer doing it?

How do you generate the packs? Clicking 'random card' on gatherer or do you have a special program or do you have a ton of cards on your desk?   
How do you simulate the picks of the other players? Are they real people or is a computer doing it?

How do you generate the packs? Clicking 'random card' on gatherer or do you have a special program or do you have a ton of cards on your desk?   

A group of Magic buddies help with the other picks.  As for simulating the picks one of my friends is a bit of a computer genius.  So he helped come up with a program and we're testing it out with this.
Uh. Phage looks rudely awesome and almost impossible to cast. But I'm one to build greedy and play greedy when I can.

Hmm a second Tim could be cool, but not sure how good Phage will be given the format. I think she is bomby enough and the rest of the pack is weak enough to give her a speculative pick though. Hopefully we run into some decent fixing.
Phage is good if we have a way to give her evasion though I also think it could be good to get the Rootwater Hunter, 'Tims' are better in multiples.
Phage is good if we have a way to give her evasion though I also think it could be good to get the Rootwater Hunter, 'Tims' are better in multiples.

Yeah, I think the second Tim is probably the better pick overall considering we don't know how castable Phage will be or if we will have good ways to give her evasion, but it's higher upside pick and it's a crazy format so might as well go for it was my thought.

Rootwater Hunter and watch some of that sweet black come around later. Because yes, Tims are dumb in multiples... plus we stay on a very light color commitment and if we jump later the blue is a great splash for Tims.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Draft all the Tims. Rootwater Hunter.
I'll take a second tim here with the rootwater hunter and try to send the message that blue is closed.
Oh look!  It's Phage the Uncastable!

I really like the second Tim, but those black removal spells are calling...

Screw it.  Hunter

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Moar Tim.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I guess i'll jump on the Tim bandwagon.
Bauble is rampart growth for any color.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Incinerate. Boom!
Sure, Lightning Bolts are always solid, and they work well with Prodigal Sorceror's too.
Inspiration. All we need is a couple counterspells, and it's draw/go time

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Incinerate. Boom!

Firebolt's better.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
I'll go Firebolt as well. I get the feeling there will be plenty of targets for it.
Sign In to post comments