Confusing Wizards!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,
I am new to D&D and currently running a campaign for a group of friends. One of my players is a Wizard and we are all totaly confused about her spells and abilities.

From what I hav found around the internet and in this forum she has the same amount of powers per day as other classes.
2 at-will
1 encounter
1 daily
0 untility

I need some help to understand what she can actually do. I have summarized here spells and features below and my understanding of them. If anyone could let me know if I am reading this correctly?

Level: 2

Class/Other Features: 

Arcanist's Spellbooks:

Three 1st-level rituals, plus more at higer levels. Also, twice the daily and utility spells you can use; choose from among these at each extended rest.

Cantrips:

Gain  four cantrips

Feats: 

Expanded Spellbook:

Add additional daily spell to spellbook

Powers:

Attack:
Magic Missile (at-will)
Scorching burst (at-will)

Burning Hands (encounter)

Acid Arrow(daily)
Flaming Sphere (daily)
Sleep (daily) 

Utility:
Shield (encounter)
Protection from Missiles (daily)

Cantrip:
Chameleon's Mask (encounter)
Suggestion (encounter)
Light (at-will)
Water Stride (encounter)

I interpret the rulse as follows:  From the spells listed in attack and utility she can only have two at-will, one encounter, one daily, and one utility prapeard for each day. While the Cantrips are something she can cast as often as the spell permits. 

Extrapolating on this, I assume the following applies for all classes:
- In the "basic spell/power pool" one always has the limits described in the PHB page 29 table. This includs any powers you select when leveling.
- Powers/spells gained from a class or ratial feature can be used in addtion to the "basic pool".

You've pretty much got it nailed, although technically the wizard never prepares their cantrips, at-will attack powers, or encounter attack powers - the spellbook feature (and preparation) only applies to the daily attack powers and utility powers.

(They don't actually need the spellbook if they're just re-readying the same set of spells, either; it's only necessary if the wizard is changing their arsenal.)
You've pretty much got it nailed, although technically the wizard never prepares their cantrips, at-will attack powers, or encounter attack powers - the spellbook feature (and preparation) only applies to the daily attack powers and utility powers.

(They don't actually need the spellbook if they're just re-readying the same set of spells, either; it's only necessary if the wizard is changing their arsenal.)

You're actually wrong from tthe looks of it they are playing an Essentials mage and that means that they can prepare Encounters too. Remember as an essentials wizard you never have to retrain powers.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

You're actually wrong from tthe looks of it they are playing an Essentials mage and that means that they can prepare Encounters too. Remember as an essentials wizard you never have to retrain powers.

The OP asked about an Arcanist, which is the Essentials label for a PHB wizard.
So you wizard knows three daily spells, but can only prepare and use on of them per day.