[Battlemind] Help picking an at-will

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
My Battlemind (Quicksilver Demon) just hit 17, and I'm tasked with picking a new at-will to replace one of my old ones.  I'm having difficulty.

He's pretty much pure defender.  I run with a Cavalier, Artificer, Wizard, Hexblade, and Invoker.
Current at-wills are Lightning Rush, Luring Steel, and Whirling Defense.
Of course I love Lightning Rush.  Luring Steel was picked for the character while I was on hiatus, I rarely use it.  Whirling Defense was also not my choice - I'd have gone with Vicious Scorpion Strike - but its augment 2 is one of my most-used abilities as I often end up tanking multiple mobs.

The options I at 17 that look decent are:
Battle Vortex - it's a nice at-will, but the augment 1 is junk, and I don't see myself spending the points for its augment 4 much.
Cloud of Dancing Blades - My DM tends to religiously respect my mark, either by attacking me or making sure he can get distance, either way I don't think I've had Mind Spike trigger more than once in the last couple of levels, so the unaugmented version isn't woth much to me.  The augment 1 is nice but I typically get almost as much marking out of whirling defense, plus damage.  Again the augment 4 just looks like something I'll use once ever.
Ruinous Grasp - The forced movement isn't bad, but not always useful.  The augment 1 is brilliant for a defender.  The augment 4, again, nice but won't touch it for the cost.

Whirling Defense is the obvious power to replace, as it's level 1 and not even the best level 1 mark + burst.  But it's my only non-daily burst, and I use it a lot.
Luring Steel is the power I rarely use, because I single-tank infrequently and am rarely adjacent to allies, but it's a much more recent power, and replacing it after only four levels feels wrong.

So, what should I trade for what?  Suggestions appreciated - and don't feel a need to stick just to those options if there's something else better.  Thanks!
I think you're assuming that higher level powers are better for psionics. Unfortunately that's not really the case. Brutal Barrage is kind of the default answer, but isn't that great without other resources put into it. Intellect Snap and Forceful Reversal are also petty popular picks.
Thanks for the replies - so I can pick from any level at-wills, not just the new ones?  First D&D character I've really had any input in, not sure of all the mechanics.

Brutal Barrage does look fun, but I don't have a good idea of what feats and such have already been chosen, so I doubt I could give BB the support it needs - and I don't really have any control over equipment.

I don't see Dizzying Mace anywhere in Dedekine's Battlemind post - where is it picked up? And does it require maces?

My opinion is that Brutal Barrage is mostly just for builds specialized toward that, because opping it requires a lot of resources that don't help your other abilities. I would avoid it if you're looking to build a good defender (though there's an argument to be made that the best defense is a good offense and all that, plus it is a reliable prone).

Dizzying Mace is a paragon fighter feat, so you'd have to MC fighter (which is almost certainly the best option for you anyway). Yes, it requires using a mace, but it's totally worth it when paired with Intellect Snap.

Another good power is Lodestone Lure, if you use it and then move more than 1 square away it effectively becomes an at-will immobilize - but better.

In general though, don't look at the L17 list, because your old powers are probably better. That's the weakest BM level as far as I'm concerned.

A decent pick is Psionic Speed. It's pretty much like a close burst, but it's melee attacks, so it has access to support that bursts don't get. I like it more than most other multi-target powers anyway.
Because INT isn't a secondary, and it has no directly relevant support for a defender? As opposed to Dragonborn or Tiefling or Half-Elf, which have perfect stats and offer extra defender juice.

Yes, if you go the BB route, you will kill things so fast that traditional defender abilities don't matter anymore. But that's really just saying "play a striker instead."
I agree that the con/int genasi build is ideal for BB spamming. My point is that INT is not a secondary stat for battleminds, so none of your other abilities will be improved by it. Which goes back to my original statement that opping for BB does not usually overlap with opping your traditional defender traits, since its only notable feature is damage, and damage is not (traditionally) a defender's concern.
It prones too!
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Awesome reply, thanks.  The murk begins to clear.  In the meantime I also dragged out the PHBs that a friend gave me recently and answered my own noob questions.

Why is MCing fighter almost certainly the best option?  To do that I'd have to take Student of the Sword as a feat, correct?  Unfortunately I don't quite meet the STR requirement for that - I'm at 11 currently.

Lodestone Lure sounds highly evil, particularly with my other mobility actions that let me make that move without triggering an OA.  It seems to be worded a little ambiguously, though - will I face a struggle to convince my DM that the creature can't move through the intermediate squares to reach me?

Psionic Speed is quite nice, although I also like the debuff from VCS.  What sort of advantages come from being a melee attack instead of a burst?

Character sheet is here if it helps for feedback - unfortunately it doesn't list all the feats taken, although they shouldn't be hard to piece together.

I'm currently leaning towards retraining Whirling Defense to either PS or VCS, and replacing Luring Steel with Lodestone Lure or Intellect Snap - however, I won't be able to do either Heavy Blade Opportunity or Dizzying Mace with them, at least for a while if not ever.

Battle Awareness is the fighter MC feat from Martial Power, this feat is strong enough to stand on its own even before considering the fighter options it opens up
Battle Awareness is the fighter MC feat from Martial Power, this feat is strong enough to stand on its own even before considering the fighter options it opens up

Oh, nice! Thanks - I don't have an Insider subscription or a lot of materials, so I'm lacking information like that.  I'm still 2 STR shy of the prereq, but it's worth thinking about.
Hmm.  The more I think, Lodestone Lure, Viscious Cobra Strike, Intellect Snap, AND Psionic Speed all do reduced damage.  The first three are flat CON mod unless augmented, and the last is just 1[W] unless augmented.  With Lightning Rush and two of those three, I end up with no at-will that does a proper 1[W] + CON mod damage.  Instead of 1d8 + 9, it's either a flat 6 damage (unless the +3 from my weapon applies, which I don't believe it does even though it's a Weapon keyword, right?), or it's 1d8 + 3.

That kind of puts me off that thought, and makes me wonder if I woudn't be better served with one of LL/VCS/PS, Lightning Rush, and a third ability that does the ful 1[W] + CON mod?
It us though. Most defenders, as they level up, have to invest heavily in a secondary role to stay relevant.

I won't argue with this, because it's totally correct. But it's also totally consistent with my point that investing in BB is an investment in being a striker, not so much a defender.

Awesome reply, thanks.  The murk begins to clear.  In the meantime I also dragged out the PHBs that a friend gave me recently and answered my own noob questions.

Why is MCing fighter almost certainly the best option?  To do that I'd have to take Student of the Sword as a feat, correct?  Unfortunately I don't quite meet the STR requirement for that - I'm at 11 currently.

Lodestone Lure sounds highly evil, particularly with my other mobility actions that let me make that move without triggering an OA.  It seems to be worded a little ambiguously, though - will I face a struggle to convince my DM that the creature can't move through the intermediate squares to reach me?

Psionic Speed is quite nice, although I also like the debuff from VCS.  What sort of advantages come from being a melee attack instead of a burst?

Character sheet is here if it helps for feedback - unfortunately it doesn't list all the feats taken, although they shouldn't be hard to piece together.

I'm currently leaning towards retraining Whirling Defense to either PS or VCS, and replacing Luring Steel with Lodestone Lure or Intellect Snap - however, I won't be able to do either Heavy Blade Opportunity or Dizzying Mace with them, at least for a while if not ever.

There are many fighter MC feats other than Student of the Sword. You definitely qualify for Wrathful Warrior at least. If you're allowed to edit your stats slightly to get the 13 STR, then Battle Awareness is even better. It's generally the best option because fighters have all the good weapon-related feats. You want to use flails? Dragging Flail. Hammers? Overwhelming Impact. Maces? Dizzying Mace. And if you're using a shield, Hindering Shield is probably good for you too. There's probably more big things that I'm forgetting; fighters have some of the best feat support in the game.

Lodestone Lure is pretty unambiguous in how it's worded. That said, I have no idea if your DM will object.

For your build in particular, being a melee attack vs. a close attack mostly just lets you deal more damage via Iron Armbands of Power. There are other tricks that it opens up in general, but I can't see any that you have access to with the build you posted (unless you are allowed to take Mark of Storm). I still prefer PS over VCS though, because it saves PPs (compared to using the VCS aug2), and the aug1 is pretty useful sometimes.
Hmm.  The more I think, Lodestone Lure, Viscious Cobra Strike, Intellect Snap, AND Psionic Speed all do reduced damage.  The first three are flat CON mod unless augmented, and the last is just 1[W] unless augmented.  With Lightning Rush and two of those three, I end up with no at-will that does a proper 1[W] + CON mod damage.  Instead of 1d8 + 9, it's either a flat 6 damage (unless the +3 from my weapon applies, which I don't believe it does even though it's a Weapon keyword, right?), or it's 1d8 + 3.

That kind of puts me off that thought, and makes me wonder if I woudn't be better served with one of LL/VCS/PS, Lightning Rush, and a third ability that does the ful 1[W] + CON mod?

Wow, I just noticed that you have Knack for Success as your half-elf option. Any chance you can change that to dilettante (Eldritch Strike)? That's pretty much the whole point of being a half-elf for battleminds. And that will solve your damage objection.
Not really, that puts it at 4 levels away from getting, at the cost of having 2 lower Charisma. It's a decent feat, and lets you punish enemies without needing to mark them, but it's not "necessary" for you to have to get Dizzying Mace. For a battlemind that can't just retrain his stats (though, ask your DM if you can) I'd suggest Wrathful Warrior from Martial Power 2
Show
Prerequisite: Str 13 or Con 13
Benefit: You gain training in one skill from the fighter’s class skills list.
Once per encounter, when you are hit by a melee attack or a close attack, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier.

The link you provided doesn't show me your items or feats, but I can tell you that your defenses and damage are far lower than what they should be, you should have an AC of at least 34 and be dealing 1dx+17 damage with attacks. Why do you have +1 armor and a +3 weapon at level 17? that's just wrong. I also have to question why, as a Half-Elf, you didn't take a Dilettante Power like Eldritch Strike, it becomes at-will with the Versatile Master feat and is a far cry better than your Melee Training Basic attack.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
There are many fighter MC feats other than Student of the Sword. You definitely qualify for Wrathful Warrior at least. If you're allowed to edit your stats slightly to get the 13 STR, then Battle Awareness is even better. It's generally the best option because fighters have all the good weapon-related feats. You want to use flails? Dragging Flail. Hammers? Overwhelming Impact. Maces? Dizzying Mace. And if you're using a shield, Hindering Shield is probably good for you too. There's probably more big things that I'm forgetting; fighters have some of the best feat support in the game.

OK, cool.  I'll investigate that - possibly for 18, since that's feat time anyway, and get a full list of feats to figure out if I want to swap feats around (right now all I have acess to are PHB1-3 and PsP, I can bug the DM for his).

For your build in particular, being a melee attack vs. a close attack mostly just lets you deal more damage via Iron Armbands of Power. There are other tricks that it opens up in general, but I can't see any that you have access to with the build you posted (unless you are allowed to take Mark of Storm). I still prefer PS over VCS though, because it saves PPs (compared to using the VCS aug2), and the aug1 is pretty useful sometimes.

OK, makes sense, thanks.  Makes sense to use it over VCS in that case, now I just have to settle on a third at-will - as I said just above, that's a battle between annoying the DM and doing a bit more damage...
Wow, I just noticed that you have Knack for Success as your half-elf option. Any chance you can change that to dilettante (Eldritch Strike)? That's pretty much the whole point of being a half-elf for battleminds. And that will solve your damage objection.

Yeah, like I said, character was pre-made, and I'm just realising reading the Battlemind threads today what I've missed out on.  Knack for Success is situationally useful, but the option to take an ability from another class? Yeaaaah.  I want to take Versatile Master as well so I can use it as an at-will, correct?  If I remember right, Eldritch Strike can be used as an MBA, so that would then let me also ditch my Melee Training feat, so at the cost of a situational encounter utility and losing a paragon feat but gaining back a heroic,  I gain a 4th at will, increase my OA damage, and feel free to take two at-wills with lower damage but neat effects?  SOLD.

The link you provided doesn't show me your items or feats, but I can tell you that your defenses and damage are far lower than what they should be, you should have an AC of at least 34 and be dealing 1dx+17 damage with attacks. Why do you have +1 armor and a +3 weapon at level 17? that's just wrong. I also have to question why, as a Half-Elf, you didn't take a Dilettante Power like Eldritch Strike, it becomes at-will with the Versatile Master feat and is a far cry better than your Melee Training Basic attack.

I've been wondering about that - I saw in the guide it said ~level +18 AC, and I'm way short of that.  I had no idea I was lagging so much until today, and I have no idea why, or how to boost it.  Obviously I could get to 31 with a more level-appropriate piece of scale, what else should I look into?
Where would I get the extra damage?  CON mod is 6, and a level 17 weapon is typically +4, so I'm only missing 1 there.  Where does the extra 7 come from?

The reason I have +1 armor and a +3 weapon is that equipment is handed out by the DM every few encounters, one or two pieces split between 6 characters.  Nobody has much or very good equipment.  The reason for not having Dilettante is outlined above.  I aim to fix that.

Thanks a ton for the feedback, guys, this is very useful.  By the time we're done here I'll probably have a completely different character...
Talk to your DM about the equipment, 4e assumes that you will at least upgrade your weapon/armor/neck slot every half tier. This is an assumption that is ingrained into the system math, and you will severely lag behind your expected proficiency if that doesn't happen. There is a system for Inherent Bonuses if your DM doesn't want to have magic items be a big thing, but you *need* to either have up-to-date equipment or Inherent Bonuses for the game to run correctly.

The armor is actually putting you at 6 less AC than you should have, because of Masterwork bonuses (+4 scale will give +14 AC total, whereas +1 scale gives only +8 AC total). Do you have a shield? Not even a magical one, just get a heavy shield. That's another +2 AC.

Going dilettante actually has 0 feat cost, because you'd just retrain Melee Training into Versatile Master. So all you lose is Knack For Success, which is an extremely good trade.

For more damage, there are plenty of places to get it. The most basic one is Iron Armbands of Power; do you have those? Again, items are kinda assumed by the system math.
I actually should have said +20

6 stat 4 enh 4 item (Iron Armbands of Power) 3 feat and 3 Dragonshard, the assumption is that a Lightning/Frost/Radiant/Summer weapon is available and being used, very few other weapons have properties that compete with just dealing +6 more damage in Paragon (+9 in Epic), and that's without getting into additional support for those damage types.

If your DM is not handing out gear and gold that is appropriate to the characters, that's an issue; the game has expected numbers required for the math to work out, while optimizing can exceed expectations or compensate for a lack, most of that is coming in the damage department; you absolutely need properly leveled defensive gear. If your DM is worried about keeping things "low magic" he can just use the Inherent Bonus rules which exist specifically for that purpose - the PCs Neck/Armor/Weapons all effectively have the level appropriate enh bonus at all times, no paperwork, no fuss. It's actually a great idea overall, it takes the focus off of upgrading your Big 3, and lets the DM focus on the other slots and situational items.
OK, I got access to the character builder, and have the info on feats and items.

I already swapped Versatile Master in, and dropped Melee Training.  Other feats are:
Quick Reactions (Heroic, use CHA instead of DEX when rolling initiative, Speed of Thought grants +2 to movement speed UENT)
Toughness (Heroic, +5 hp per tier)
Heavy Blade Expertise (Heroic, +1 feat bonus per tier to attack rolls with heavy blades, +2 to all defenses against OAs while wielding heavy blade)
Lightning Reflexes (Heroic, +2/+3/+4 feat bonus to Reflex)
Impending Victory (Heroic, +1 to attack rolls vs. bloodied targets)
Blurring Speed (Paragon, Speed of Thought grants concealment UENT)
Combat Anticipation (Paragon, +1 feat bonus to all defenses against ranged, area, and close attacks)
Courageous Mind (Heroic, +2 to Initiative, +1 to saving throws while blooded)
Demand's Reach (Paragon, increases the burst of Battlemind's Demand to 5)

Gear - I'm much more reluctant to change gear than character, as other people might get jealous if I show up in new shinies.  I'd basically only swap slot for slot and level for level.
Shadow-Shroud Scale Armor +1
Evil Eye Fetish (+2 to Fort, Ref, and Will)
Wicked Longsword +3
Heavy Shield of Deflection (resist 5 all ranged and area)
Ring of Mental Power
Circlet of Resolute Mind (+1 to Will, spend power point to increase to 3 UENT)
Boots of Quickness (+2 to Ref)
Talk to your DM about the equipment, 4e assumes that you will at least upgrade your weapon/armor/neck slot every half tier. This is an assumption that is ingrained into the system math, and you will severely lag behind your expected proficiency if that doesn't happen. There is a system for Inherent Bonuses if your DM doesn't want to have magic items be a big thing, but you *need* to either have up-to-date equipment or Inherent Bonuses for the game to run correctly.

The armor is actually putting you at 6 less AC than you should have, because of Masterwork bonuses (+4 scale will give +14 AC total, whereas +1 scale gives only +8 AC total). Do you have a shield? Not even a magical one, just get a heavy shield. That's another +2 AC.

Going dilettante actually has 0 feat cost, because you'd just retrain Melee Training into Versatile Master. So all you lose is Knack For Success, which is an extremely good trade.

For more damage, there are plenty of places to get it. The most basic one is Iron Armbands of Power; do you have those? Again, items are kinda assumed by the system math.

Wow, I didn't know we were supposed to be getting so much more gear.  That's interesting.  We haven't been having any particular difficulty with encounters or anything yet, so I hadn't really noticed.  Hell, with 6 more AC, I'd end up just laughing at the monsters because they'll just tickle.  I do have a shield, as above, I don't have the armbands.

I actually should have said +20

6 stat 4 enh 4 item (Iron Armbands of Power) 3 feat and 3 Dragonshard, the assumption is that a Lightning/Frost/Radiant/Summer weapon is available and being used, very few other weapons have properties that compete with just dealing +6 more damage in Paragon (+9 in Epic), and that's without getting into additional support for those damage types.

If your DM is not handing out gear and gold that is appropriate to the characters, that's an issue; the game has expected numbers required for the math to work out, while optimizing can exceed expectations or compensate for a lack, most of that is coming in the damage department; you absolutely need properly leveled defensive gear. If your DM is worried about keeping things "low magic" he can just use the Inherent Bonus rules which exist specifically for that purpose - the PCs Neck/Armor/Weapons all effectively have the level appropriate enh bonus at all times, no paperwork, no fuss. It's actually a great idea overall, it takes the focus off of upgrading your Big 3, and lets the DM focus on the other slots and situational items.

Y'know, I was perfectly happy until I found out I should be waving an elemental damage weapon around by now.  I blame you for destroying my innocence!  I'll see if I can bring up at least the inherent bonus rule in a way that doesn't sound like "hey, I want loot, and to hit things for 90 damage as a defender!" - but on the other hand, if we're not having trouble with encounters, I'm not worrying that much about it.

This has been fantastic help so far both of you.  I'm currently cleaning up feats, I swapped Courageous Mind for Improved Defenses, which is apparently a must-take.  Do you still recommend moving points to STR to take Battle Awareness?  If so, where from?  CHA? WIS?
I'd be careful of what you ask for. Some of the recommendations here are pretty hard to argue against, equipment being one of them. Tell your DM to check out the treasure guidelines in the DMG - it works out to roughly one item per character per level, assuming you use gold to buy items.

Other stuff, like asking for elemental weapons and dragonshards, may very well be shot down for being "cheesy." I'm not saying they are, but a lot of people think that way, and from what I can infer from the game you're playing, your DM might be one of them.

Your DM is probably compensating somewhat by tailoring monsters to the group, because otherwise you'd be dead by now. He might not be willing to use monsters as written because they may very well stomp the rest of your group, assuming they are similarly handicapped.

Just pick your battles and remember the primary goal is to have fun. People here will generally shrug that off and say to just dump the group and get a new one, but that isn't always a desirable option for everyone.
at the cost of a situational encounter utility and losing a paragon feat but gaining back a heroic

Note that you can actually put paragon feats into the heroic-level "feat slots" once you hit paragon, via retraining. 
OK, I now have Dilettante with Eldritch Strike and Versatile Master, on top of Lodestone Lure and Psionic Speed, retaining Lightning Rush.  Dropped 1 point from CHA to put two into STR to be able to MC fighter.

A proposed feat line-up:

Quick Reactions - CHA instead of DEX for initiative, +2 to speed for the first round.  Since my DEX mod is 0 and CHA is +4, I kinda like it, but I'm not married
Battle Awareness - MultiClass Fighter, once per encounter OA when adjacent enemy shifts or attacks another
Elven Sidestep - First square of movement does not provoke OAs from marked targets.  This sounds AMAZING with Lightning Rush.
Heavy Blade Expertise - +1 to attack rolls per tier, +2 bonus to defenses against OAs (untyped - does this stack or not with the Quicksilver Demon path feature Quicksilver Dance?  If not, I might do well to change weapon type and take advantage of the fighter weapon feats?
Blurred Speed - +1 square with Blurred Speed; extra stickiness
Improved Defenses - +1 per tier to Fort/Ref/Will; a "required" math fix from the BM guide?
Impending Victory - +1 to at-will attacks against bloodied enemies.  Again, it's not bad, I'm not married to it
Combat Anticipation - +1 feat bonus to defenses against ranged, area, and close attacks.  Extra defenses always good I guess.
Versatile Master - Use Dilettante skill as at-will, required for Eldritch Strike abuse

Questionable:
Toughness - 5 hit points per tier isn't sexy, but as a defender, I've definitely dropped into the single digits occasionally, also has side effect of increasing surge value by 1 per tier.  Is this worth having, or should I be content with 134hp at 17 and take something more interesting?
Mark of Warding - It's marked as very good, but my DM almost never ignores my mark. OK synergy with Shield of the Iron Mind, but that's a daily.  Worth a look or skip?
Superior Will - Since I already have Improved Defenses, it's slightly redundant - I net +1 to will, but that save against dazed/stunned even when they're UENT looks great.  But I don't know how often stuff in the second half of this campaign dazes.

k, now tell me how wrong I am and what I'm missing out on
- Dump Blurred Speed for Harrying Step, you now teleport instead of shift; you're still Persistent Harrier, correct?

- Dump Combat Anticipation for Superior Will.

- Impending Victory and Quick Reactions should be traded, probably (I'm looking into "what", but others may have suggestions).

What weapon are you using?
I second durntaur's things, except that I like Quick Reactions.

Heavy blades aren't particularly ideal for you. They're fine, but nothing special. If you're allowed to use Mark of Storm (seems to be true), and you can get access to a Lightning weapon (depends on if the DM lets you choose things like this), then those + flail expertise will give you some hugely improved control options. Add Hindering Shield for even more fun.

Even if you don't get MoS + Lightning weapon, Flail Expertise is awesome with Eldritch Strike, because now your OAs can prone (and you generally have an at-will proning ability).

You're allowed to start with one stat at 8 instead of 10. So my recommendation is to dump your INT by 2 instead of hurting your CHA, which is useful for Speed of Thought, initiative, Will, riders, etc.

Mark of Warding is usually good, but since your DM already respects your mark, it's not worthwhile.
- Dump Blurred Speed for Harrying Step, you now teleport instead of shift; you're still Persistent Harrier, correct?

- Dump Combat Anticipation for Superior Will.

- Impending Victory and Quick Reactions should be traded, probably (I'm looking into "what", but others may have suggestions).

What weapon are you using?

No, I was never Persistent Harrier, else I'd take Harrying Step.  I have Speed of Thought.

I'm currrently using a Wicked Fang +3, a level 13 versatile longsword.  We've already been over why I'm using a somewhat outdated weapon, I wouldn't feel comfortable unilaterally upgrading it as DM might overrule, other players may get upset, and so on.  I'd sidegrade it to another weapon type though.  It's partially useless because its property is a +3 to ongoing damage effects and I don't have ongoing damage, but its daily is to add 10 ongoing to a hit.

I have been looking at other weapons.  Hammers for instance, since I'm trained in Intimidate, Hammer Shock would give my OA Eldritch Strikes the Rattled keyword, then of course there's Dizzying Mace and its synergy with Intellect Snap, which I'd pop in instead of Lodestone Lure (although hammer and mace expertise get their extra +1 to hit four levels later each tier than swords and so on, for some reason...).  Axes would give +6 to my OAs through Savage Axe...  There are options.

Also, Group Assault gives allies a +1 to attack against my marks.  That also sounds ok.  And Hindering Shield gives an on-demand slow anytime I force an enemy to move.  You guys weren't kidding about fighters having good feats.
(although hammer and mace expertise get their extra +1 to hit four levels later each tier than swords and so on, for some reason...)

sounds like outdated implement expertise feats

make sure you're taking Bludgeon Expertise
Luring Steel was picked for the character while I was on hiatus, I rarely use it.  Whirling Defense was also not my choice - I'd have gone with Vicious Scorpion Strike - but its augment 2 is one of my most-used abilities as I often end up tanking multiple mobs.

Keep in mind that you can always replace one (as per normal L17 rules) and retrain the other, and get two powers that you actually care about.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Heavy blades aren't particularly ideal for you. They're fine, but nothing special. If you're allowed to use Mark of Storm (seems to be true), and you can get access to a Lightning weapon (depends on if the DM lets you choose things like this), then those + flail expertise will give you some hugely improved control options. Add Hindering Shield for even more fun.

Even if you don't get MoS + Lightning weapon, Flail Expertise is awesome with Eldritch Strike, because now your OAs can prone (and you generally have an at-will proning ability).

You're allowed to start with one stat at 8 instead of 10. So my recommendation is to dump your INT by 2 instead of hurting your CHA, which is useful for Speed of Thought, initiative, Will, riders, etc.

I can swap the weapon for anything of the same item level pretty much, so a fancy Lightning weapon is probably out of the question.  But Flail Expertise is indeed awesome, and I'm sure there are some decent flails around.  They'd generally bump my weapon from a d8 to a d10, too.  I like this idea of an on-demand prone - I'm in.

Edit: There are some interesting flail types.  Of course there's Aggressive, which is +2 to damage while I have power points left.  Then there's Farslayer, which just says "Power * Standard Action - Make a melee basic attack with this weapon against a target up to 5 squares away from you" - which I read as basically an at-will?  That would let me Eldritch Strike stuff 5 squares away all day long?  And knock them prone?  Holy...  It's slightly redundant with Lodestone Lure, but it's still fun to think about.

Thanks for pointing out the int thing, once you said it I thought about what I actually got from int, and it was basically a few skills that were junk anyway and no defensive or offensive bonuses, so down it went.  Hurrrrr.  *drools*

Has it ever been considered a good idea to get a crazy plagued regeneration / psychic feast build going w/ BB?