Sire of Insanity

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was looking at the card image gallery for Dragon's Maze, and I ran across Sire of Insanity.  My eye was instantly drawn to Peter Mohrbacher's artwork, because it seems sort of reminiscent to Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son" (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Devouring_H...).

Thoughts?
I hate this card forever because someone else figured out the homage before I did. This card singlehandedly ruined my art historian cred.

But it's cool that it's making the reference though.

Them's my thoughts. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Definitely.

Someone also mentioned this in FSS when the card was first spoiled. I still like Goya's more.

Keeper: What other art references have you noticed? 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I am aslo interested in magic the gathering art references
I know that the amazing Howard Lyon throws in some of those in his D&D work, so he probably has 'em in his Magic cards as well. Not being an art historian myself, I couldn't tell you what exactly, though :-)
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Yup.

This happens all the time.
The MTG subreddit loves finding these things. 

The one other art reference I can remember is in Tenth Edition Rampant Growth.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Oh, I never noticed that! Rad. My opinion of RG just climbed three rungs upon the ol' echeladder.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.