NWO why 4th edition?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why is there waning support for 4th edition as a pen and paper game just as they start advertising 4th edition as an MMO? How is having two dungeons and dragons MMOs (neither of which is 5th edition) not sending a confusing message? They did this with DDO as well, ending 3.5 not too far after introducing 4th edition. Is this just the chaos of making business deals or is there some higher order here I don't see?
Short Answer?  It takes time to program a game.

Long Answer?  It takes time to program a game.  The plan was to have a huge themed blitz with Neverwinter in mid to late 2011: a new campaign setting, a Salvatore novel, and a computer game all within a couple of months of each other.  They even had a season of Encounters using the setting.

The selling of Cryptic to Perfect World by Atari, though, threw a snag into those plans.  Cryptic was originally making an "online RPG" (basically a standard D&D game that required an internet connection to log in and play).  PWE doesn't do single-player or small group games.  They do free-to-play MMOs, and so Neverwinter was retooled (very) late in development into an MMO.

Now, Neverwinter isn't really a 4E MMO.  It's an action MMO with a D&D theme.  They use a lot of 4E terminology (at-wills, encounters, dailies, action points, various racial powers and so on) but those rarely look like their 4E analogues.

It's definitely worth checking out, though.  I enjoy it a lot.  And the ability to make my own modules for others to play is a great addition.  The cash shop can be kind of off-putting, though. 
I agree with thewok, the cash shop is very off putting.  I've been havign fun with the game but honestly can't see much of a long term future for it simply because of the developers, it makes me wonder if Wizards have any say/input into the product at all because I always felt that Wizards created great products with good value for money, but this game is absurd when it comes to money.

For those that haven't played here are some examples:

$6 just to respec your character
$40+ for a mount
$15-25 for a companion to follow you around in game

There are also basic gameplay things such as bags, keys to open treasure chests and scrolls that will heal your character to 100% hp with just a 12 second cooldown (completely gamebreaking).  all of these things are only available with real money and they cost a lot!

I have been really enjoying the game but really the cash shop is putting a lot of people off an seems to be giving not just the developers a bad name but the whole D&D franchise.

Perfect world is following their business model for every other game in their stable.  Not fixing the glaringly obvious problems.  Then the cash shop on top of it.  Worse ground breaking bug is that the crafting side can level you up, without logging into the game.
I agree with thewok, the cash shop is very off putting.  I've been havign fun with the game but honestly can't see much of a long term future for it simply because of the developers, it makes me wonder if Wizards have any say/input into the product at all because I always felt that Wizards created great products with good value for money, but this game is absurd when it comes to money.

For those that haven't played here are some examples:

$6 just to respec your character
$40+ for a mount
$15-25 for a companion to follow you around in game

There are also basic gameplay things such as bags, keys to open treasure chests and scrolls that will heal your character to 100% hp with just a 12 second cooldown (completely gamebreaking).  all of these things are only available with real money and they cost a lot!

I have been really enjoying the game but really the cash shop is putting a lot of people off an seems to be giving not just the developers a bad name but the whole D&D franchise.

This is sad tbh. D&D should be the WoW killer, obviously it is the original REAL DEAL, and has so much potential with all the game world, monsters etc, but as you have elluded too bad developer. They ruined DDO with a s**t game engine and unuser friendly interface.

I watched Neverwinter online, it looks garbage tbh, then they have these exorbitant prices to boot!

Just so sad imao. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />they have these exorbitant prices to boot!

Honestly, who cares how much they charge?  Its free to play and there is absolutely nothing you need to pay for to play.  If you feel the need to spend money to get your virtual-pizza earlier than you would earn it through normal play, well its great that you have the option.

I am not a fan of Cryptic (old City of Heroes player here) but I think they've done a decent job.  If I was going to spend any money though, I'd spend it on Guild Wars 2. ;)

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />they have these exorbitant prices to boot!

Honestly, who cares how much they charge?  Its free to play and there is absolutely nothing you need to pay for to play.  If you feel the need to spend money to get your virtual-pizza earlier than you would earn it through normal play, well its great that you have the option.

I am not a fan of Cryptic (old City of Heroes player here) but I think they've done a decent job.  If I was going to spend any money though, I'd spend it on Guild Wars 2. ;)

Free to play is a poor mans game, quite clearly like SWTOR you can do diddly squat basically (SFA endgame etc), and the items you buy are garbage in SWTOR.
Apparently it's like $40 for a horse in this Neverwinter game, what a joke. that's basically nearly 3 months of gameplay in WoW or something similar at $15/month.

GW2 is boring same old same old, just nice graphics.

As I say, the original DDO should have been awesome, was a total failure due to the engine they chose, very poor unuserfriendly interface, and exceedingly hard to use abilities in combat along with combat itself with monsters sort of "sliding" in and out etc, just a really garbage engine fullstop  

Free to play is a poor mans game, quite clearly like SWTOR you can do diddly squat basically (SFA endgame etc), and the items you buy are garbage in SWTOR.

By "diddle squat" do you mean "absolutely everything"?  Because I am playing the game now, without paying a thing, and there is nothing in-game I cannot do.  If you want to be a l33t PvP master, then maybe you need to shell out some cash.  Anything else?  Cash not required.

Apparently it's like $40 for a horse in this Neverwinter game, what a joke. that's basically nearly 3 months of gameplay in WoW or something similar at $15/month.

Whoever is giving you this information is not providing you with the full facts.  If you want instant gratification and really must have a pony now, you can pay a ton of cash a get a flashy Infernal Nightmare or similar type mount.  OR you can earn one through game play.  You also get a choice of basic mounts, for free, automatically at level 20.  You get 3 tokens that can each be exchanged for a basic mount that lasts for 15 hours of online play.  Which is plenty of time for you to earn a more flashy mount through normal game play.

[EDIT] 15 hours, not 20.  But still, I had enough coin to buy a standard mount by the time the first ran out.

By "diddle squat" do you mean "absolutely everything"?  Because I am playing the game now, without paying a thing, and there is nothing in-game I cannot do.  If you want to be a l33t PvP master, then maybe you need to shell out some cash.  Anything else?  Cash not required.

Whoever is giving you this information is not providing you with the full facts.  If you want instant gratification and really must have a pony now, you can pay a ton of cash a get a flashy Infernal Nightmare or similar type mount.  OR you can earn one through game play.  You also get a choice of basic mounts, for free, automatically at level 20.  You get 3 tokens that can each be exchanged for a basic mount that lasts for 20 hours of online play.  Which is plenty of time for you to earn a more flashy mount through normal game play.

By "diddly squat" I mean you can't partake in any decent endgame, you can't earn any PvP rewards regardless of time spent, you can't earn any decent PvE rewards, all you can do in SWTOR is actually be in game itself and be boring and get smashed in PvP zones as you can't actually arm yourself with any armour or weaponry of note, if your happy with that, that's fine, I'm not.
Free to play is for the "kenny's" (southpark reference) of the world who can't even afford $3.45 a week to play an online game, I mean that is pretty low, and quite obviously you get what you pay for, and SWTOR as a non-subscriber is garbage to say the least.

I've only breifly looked at Neverwinter, I've watched about 3 PTR videos, some were early iterations, and I heard from two sources regarding the exorbitant cost of items in game, so was really repeating that. Fair enough re: mounts. I don't really care anyway, won't be playing it, looks the same as all the others.
The Foundry custom player quests is where this game shines.  I really truly believe that it is at the core of the NWO experience, and if you ignore that and just play the official quests & PvP, you're not going to enjoy it as much.

You don't need cash shop to do other players' campaigns and quests.  Not that I believe you really need it for anything else in the game.  Maybe PvP, but I never really cared about that in games unless it's a game dedicated solely to that aspect.
The Foundry custom player quests is where this game shines.  I really truly believe that it is at the core of the NWO experience, and if you ignore that and just play the official quests & PvP, you're not going to enjoy it as much.

You don't need cash shop to do other players' campaigns and quests.  Not that I believe you really need it for anything else in the game.  Maybe PvP, but I never really cared about that in games unless it's a game dedicated solely to that aspect.

Indeed.  You also get xp and drops (as determined by the game) so you can level entirely using player generated content, which is brave.  Cryptic and Paragon Studios developed this kind of thing in City of Heroes (very good it was too) but they couldn't grant "real" rewards due to abuse.  Touch wood, NW will avoid that problem.