Vault of the Dracolich Info

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
The April in the Works article said there would be a lot more details in April about the event. So far the only information I've seen is the April preview, the Dracolich Solicitation, and this bit from Plaguescarred.

From that I've gathered it's a multi-table shared experience event using D&D Next with level 4 characters. The players have to find a magic item hidden by a Dracolich.

I really hope more information is coming because as the likely event coordinator there's not much for me to hype. More information about how multiple tables interact would be a big help.

Edit: I found this on the Game Day page. It has a little bit more about tables talking to each other and the coordinator being the Dracolich menacing each group.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Also, based on the Game Day page I'm assuming the Diamond Staff is the same one from the upcoming season of Encounters. More information about how the stories are connected would be helpful.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

The adventure will include info on how interactions work between tables.
The adventure will include info on how interactions work between tables.

Which will probably only come to my store a week ahead of time. When people ask me how it works and I have to tell them, "I don't know," it doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

Which will probably only come to my store a week ahead of time. When people ask me how it works and I have to tell them, "I don't know," it doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

Based on precedence, DM's will probably:
1) Stop after the 1st encounter
2) Tally each table's results
3) Resume play, with the 2nd encounter's setup being affected by the results.

WotC might also throw in something complicated, like:
1) Yelling out when your table completes their mission (allowing for an immediate effect on the other tables), or
2) Transferring PC's from one table to another.

Your prep will certainly be much easier than LFR Battle Interactives, which had more complicated coordination bits (in addition to over a dozen encounters to prep) that DM's often didn't know about until a couple days before the event. And they managed.
Those of us who know can't share details (NDAs). However, I don't think the adventure should provide problems for stores. What I can safely share and suggest:

This is event had really good playtest reports. I think it will be really cool, and as usual the best way to run a good event is have your judges read the adventure as soon as it arrives.

Yes, you will want to get several tables in the room for a really fun multi-table experience. The adventure suggests how many. It also has some ways to handle walk-in players.

We wrote it to have some great interactivity, but still be suitable for any judge to run it. The main complexity comes from how tables interact. In this case the approach we chose is different than what Mvincent suggested above. But, reading over the adventure should explain the way interactions work. I am glad to answer questions once it reaches stores and DMs (and I'm sure the other two authors will as well).

For the link to Encounters, I would expect something similar to how previous preview events have operated. The connection is likely thematic (and perhaps information and some minor boon), and it is not required to play the gameday to play Encounters.

I hope that helps. I look forward to talking about it once it hits the street!

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Please tell me the adventure runs just as well with one table/group as it does with multiple tables.
Please tell me the adventure runs just as well with one table/group as it does with multiple tables.

We certainly took that into account as a design goal!

I can discuss more when the mod is out.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

what i noted most was two logos on that pdf, one red, one green. core & advanced.... hmmmm
@mikemearls We've got a really cool event running alongside Free RPG Day this year. Make sure your store signs up: http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources.....

@gregbilsland
 Today is the last day for your WPN store to register for Vault of the Dracolich on June 15—check out the cool stuff!

Permalien de l'image intégrée

i wish i had a  store so i could run and get a copy of that!
You should see more information on the event later this month or in early June on the Wizards website. If you're organizing at a store, you'll want to keep an eye on the WPN site as well for information on how the event runs. 

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

You should see more information on the event later this month or in early June on the Wizards website. If you're organizing at a store, you'll want to keep an eye on the WPN site as well for information on how the event runs. 

Thanks Chris for chiming in! Looking forward to it...

Sign In to post comments