The Burning Plague 3E Adventure Conversion Note

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently run the free 3rd edition adventure The Burning Plague and thought i could share my D&D Next conversions note with other DMs out there who might be interested in running this short adventure. Its also a good adventure for new DMs, players who might want to look for a simple adventure to get started. This was done using Playtest Packet 04/15.

The Burning Plague
An adventure for 4 adventurers of 1st level

0. The Burning Plague [0 XP]  
Setup
Nil
The Burning Plague: DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become infected and loose 1d4
Constitution

1. At The Entrance [0 XP]
Setup
Nil
Tunnel: DC 13 Intelligence check to spot that the wooden supports are chipped and torn

2.The Greeting Room [50 XP]
Setup
1 Thunderstone Trap
Jacen Tungstan: DC 13 Wisdom check to discover that it has symptoms ressembling those of the
plague
Thunderstone Trap: DC 15 Constitution saving throw or become deafened and takes -4 to initiative
for 1 hour, DC 15 Widdom check to spot, DC 15 Dexterity check to disable 

3. The Mess Hall [120 XP]
Setup
6 Kobold
3 Kobold Dragonshield
Noisy Passageway: DC 11 Wisdom check to determine if alerted
Contagious: DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become infected with the burning plague 

4. The Larder [90 XP]
Setup
1 Weasel, Dire  (as Rat, Dire)
8 Rat
Flour Cloud Trap
Wooden Door: DC 13 Strenght check to break, DC 15 Dexterity check to open lock
Flour Cloud Trap: Attacks made from the area or against targets inside the area have
disadvantage, DC 13 Wisdom check to spot, DC Auto to disable
Contagious: DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become infected with the burning plague 
Wooden Barrel: DC 15 Strenght check to break
False Bottom Barrel: DC 17 Intelligence check to spot

5. Chutes and Ladders [140 XP]
Setup
1 Kobold Sorcerer  (as Kobold Alchemist)
8 Kobold
1 Pit Trap
Pit Trap: DC 15 Intelligence check to spot, DC 15 Dexterity saving throw or fall and take 2d6
bludgeoning damage, DC 15 Dexterity check to disable 
Wall: DC 5 Strenght check to climb (DC 20 without rope)
Secret Door: DC 15 Wisdom check to spot

5a. Kobold Camp [20 XP]
Setup
2 Kobold
Cloak of Resistance: as Black Dragon Scale of Resistance

6. Charnel Pit [80 XP]
Setup
4 Zombie
4 Kobold Zombie  (as Zombie but small)

7. The Wellspring [340 XP]
Setup
1 Orc Shaman (as Orc Leader + Spellcasting, HP 50)  
Glyph: DC 13 Intelligence check to identify as worship of Gruumsh
Potion of Bane: as Potion of Heroism

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I posted my conversion notes for this a little while ago, too.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

I think mine was based on the 1/28/13 packet. I enjoyed seeing someone else's take on converting the adventure. We had a lot of similar conversion items, but mine was generally a little more difficult on the DCs.
Interesting indeed alienux!  I generally lower DCs by at least 2 when converting 3E adventure as i think they're too high for D&D Next standards that's why. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks Plague and Alienux. I loved using this adventure as an inspiration for one of my 4e quests.

Cheers.

A Brave Knight of WTF

Interesting indeed alienux!  I generally lower DCs by at least 2 when converting 3E adventure as i think they're too high for D&D Next standards that's why. 

Yeah, I tried to base mine on some of the DCs in Caves of Chaos, but I'm sure I have some a little off from where they probably should be.
Thanks Plague and Alienux. I loved using this adventure as an inspiration for one of my 4e quests. Cheers.

I haven't actually had a chance to run this adventure since I made conversion notes. I've been running a fully home-grown adventure that we're about to finish up, but I'm looking forward to starting Burning Plague.