Burning Plague

Plague ran this game tonight community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Note to self: the official you have to say what where why how you look for everything is still stupid, boring time wasting nonsense. 

My dual wielding warbringer cleric was a whirlwind of death with inflict, two weapon fighting and cleave. the swift spell and wytaa stuff really does need to be examined.

Plague ran the game well. There were things I didn't like, (walking into a pit trap because we didn't specify we weren't looking for traps on the floor), we had a party of all casters and the fights were not really challenging I felt. 
I was also in the same game with him and would liketo in put our experience. 

What jonathan said, to say you looking for everything at all time is a waste of time.
To make this better, I suggest we automatic make a check to detect something even if we are
not looking for it.

For example. A rogue walks down a hall, if there a trap he automatics get a spot check to
detect it. If he fails, then he trigger the traps. Simple. That how I usually run it in my games.

Since jonathan tell his experiene of his character, I'll tell experience of mine.

Fairie Fire is OP as **** for a cantrip. I can hit a group of enemies and my party gets advantage against them. I like the spell, because it gives me options to be supportive without dealing damage.

Good Berries is a good balance spell, but next time my party members are going to be carrying
good berries in their mouth so next time they get poison or disease, they can use it right away.

Fog of Cloud saved one of my guys. People look down on this spell because it can drag out
combat, but if it can turn the tides of battle, I don't mind using it.

I was bit of annoyed when I can't turn into an animal and hide at the same time.

As for the encounters, I felt it was alright. We completed it in one shot with almost
all our resources drained, so I felt the challenges were fair but at the same time we did good.  
I kind of agree about Fairie Fire. I was thinking to myself when I went to bed right after game that I'd love to have a druid bot in every party just for that spell.
I kind of agree about Fairie Fire. I was thinking to myself when I went to bed right after game that I'd love to have a druid bot in every party just for that spell.

Maybe they might make it a feat. ;)

... we had a party of all casters and the fights were not really challenging I felt. 

That is probably because Plague likes to group mobs in tight formation.  In encounter three, thunderwave took out 7 of 9 enemies, and encounter five, 6 of 8 or 9, both done in the first round.  Makes things go real fast.

Fog cloud sucks.  The pally might have dropped, but  cure minor wounds would have brought him right back.  They kobolds couldn't do enough damage to kill him.  It mades no sense at all when you gimp three casters (including yourself) in order to save a paladin who did not need saving.
Yeah, Caster ability to shut down some encounters irritates me because pure martial characters do not have similar capabilities.
The difference there is that casters have a few big bombs, and that is it.  The constant damage the martial characters do, and the damage they take balance things out.  I had nothing besides my pea shooter by the final encounter.

Although at first level it really is a difficult game to balance.  It is hard not to kill everything with an aoe spell when they only have 2HP.
This really caught me out in my first play-through

Yeah, Caster ability to shut down some encounters irritates me because pure martial characters do not have similar capabilities.

"Okay - I'm at 4 of 9 HP. What are my options to heal, DM?"
"Once we finish this battle you can use your hit dice to heal that amount across the next hour of short rest."
"So I can't heal myself? No second wind, or giving an ally their hit-dice in combat"
"Nope. Unless you have Heal Minor Wounds, which gives someone 1 HP if they have 3 or less."
"Oh. Damn."

Clerics & druids certainly became a lot more important after we found that out! Our rogue, barbarian and monk party became a drid, barbarian and monk party. Druid went full "healer" spec as combat healing seemed either completely unrequired or completed required based on the luck of the dice (not based on our character choices).

That said, it seems a great option for all martial characters to take the feat that gives you Cure Minor Wounds. For a martial character that swift spell (can take actions but not spells after you use your swift spell) means you get to do all the stuff you normally would, and get to keep yourself (or a party member) alive. Our monk now has this too, while our druids has to choose to either use a spell or this 'swift' spell. It's a nice little loophole, and I'm not sure if it is that way on purpose or there by accident.
This is a very low level problem though.  Once you have a decent amount of HP, you will find it much easier to survive in combat. At level 1, a single crit can put you down.
The difference there is that casters have a few big bombs, and that is it.  The constant damage the martial characters do, and the damage they take balance things out.  I had nothing besides my pea shooter by the final encounter.

Although at first level it really is a difficult game to balance.  It is hard not to kill everything with an aoe spell when they only have 2HP.

I'm sorry, and this is anecdotal, but my ~33 years of roleplaying experience says that that is not true. That so-called constant damage and their greater hit points was supposed to do that. It failed, in my experience. Always.
Anecdotal? Really? Would you like me to do the math for you? That is what the 4 roles in 4e are based on ffs.
Well, Cyber-Dave already has and he agrees with me. (sorry, meant to get back to this sooner, not let it lapse for 2 weeks). What I meant is that the caster's so-called 'few big bombs' have never really been  a limiting factor.
Sign In to post comments