Price of Glory and tapping permanents

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Straight to the point, if I have [C]Price of Glory[/C] and [C]Tamiyo, the moon sage[/C] can I use her +1 to destroy opponents lands?
Tapping a land does not produce mana. Activating an ability that says "tap: Add X to your mana pool" produces mana. So just tapping a land with Tamiyo will not trigger Price of Glory. If they decide to produce mana in response to Tamiyo's ability, though.... Now we're in business.

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

No. To tap a permanent for mana is to choose to activate one of its mana abilities with the symbol in the cost. Tapping for any other reason is not.
So if tamiyo doesn't work would a spell like [C]Mana Short[/C] work? If so why this one over the other?
Mana Short also doesn't do the trick. Mana Short just taps the lands. It does not force the opponent to activate their abilities and add mana. But if the opponent does decide to activate those lands' abilities, they need to use that mana before Mana Short resolves.

So if tamiyo doesn't work would a spell like [C]Mana Short[/C] work?

No, that doesn't work either. It just taps the lands, which as before does not cause any abilities on those lands to activate.

The only card i can think of that will work is Drain Power, and that's because it actually forces your opponent to activate mana abilities of the lands. EDIT: oh, and Word of Command can work, though it's less reliable.
No. Read my above post again. Nothing you can do except using a Mindslaver  or Sorin Markov's ultimate on your opponent can force him to tap a land (or any other permanent ) for mana. He has to willingly choose to do so, because he is the only one able to activate the mana abilities of his permanents.
Ok thank you all for the quick responses.
No. Read my above post again. Nothing you can do except using a Mindslaver  or Sorin Markov's ultimate on your opponent can force him to tap a land (or any other permanent ) for mana. He has to willingly choose to do so, because he is the only one able to activate the mana abilities of his permanents.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe either of those would work either seeing as they take control of your opponents next turn and price of glory only works on turns that aren't yours.
Correct

Would Pygmy Hippo work with Price of Glory?

It does say:
Whenever Pygmy Hippo attacks and isn't blocked, you may have defending player activate a mana ability of each land he or she controls and empty his or her mana pool.

So it is causing the opponent to activate mana abilities, right?
MTG Rules Advisor

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe either of those would work either seeing as they take control of your opponents next turn and price of glory only works on turns that aren't yours.

I merely mentioned those two cards, as they are the only ones (I know of), that let you make decisions for your opponent, like choosing to activate mana abilities.
Yes Pygmy Hippo will work since the opponent is tapping their lands for mana on your turn.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Would Pygmy Hippo work with Price of Glory?

It does say:
Whenever Pygmy Hippo attacks and isn't blocked, you may have defending player activate a mana ability of each land he or she controls and empty his or her mana pool.

So it is causing the opponent to activate mana abilities, right?

Yes because it's tapping your opponents lands for mana on a turn that isn't his.
While using thier lands with Piracy won't destroy the lands, it will stop them from just tapping all their lands in responce.

Level 1 Judge

While using thier lands with Piracy won't destroy the lands, it will stop them from just tapping all their lands in responce.

Why wouldn't piracy work to destroy lands?

Why wouldn't piracy work to destroy lands?

Price of Glory: Whenever a player taps a land for mana, if it's not that player's turn, destroy that land.

With Piracy, you're the one tapping the lands for mana, and it's your turn, so they won't be destroyed.
Rules Advisor
If you had a way of casting Piracy on another player's turn, then it would work.
they can just tap in response
proud member of the 2011 community team
It would sort of work if you had multiple opponents who don't share turns.