DLCR: Battering Krasis

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays DGM card to rate is...

Battering Krasis

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is ok.  It's not as good as I originally thought it was though due to it costing 3 mana.  The problem is it doesn't evolve anything when it comes down.  It doesn't help out a turn 2 Shambleshark.  If this was 2 mana it would be really good.  At 3 it's still good it's just not as good as I hoped it would be.

Discuss! 
2.5. Solid, but not great.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
2.5 because it evolves so little, but it can become beastly. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I'm going to say 2.0 for this one. The extra 1 mana over Shambleshark is a pretty big deal, since I don't expect to get a lot of value from the trample outside of a Bloodrush scenario.
I'm going to say 2.0 for this one. The extra 1 mana over Shambleshark is a pretty big deal, since I don't expect to get a lot of value from the trample outside of a Bloodrush scenario.

Bloodrush is where he really shines I think, but yeah costing three mana and with only one toughness he isn't amazing. I think I would go up to 2.5, I really like Trample in limited.

2.5. He fits the format very nicely. He can trade early against aggressive decks (unlike cards like Crocanura or Cloudfin Raptor) and his back end is small enough that all the 2/4s in the format will quickly make him a sizeable attacker, where trample really shines. I've been nothing but happy to have this card so far.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Better or worse in a simic deck than Frilled Oculus??
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
one of the worst evolve creatures in the set. he ruins the fast simic deck curve for what, trample, last time i checked my simic deck didnt need a non curving baby trampler.

Much worse. Also much worse than Shambleshark. Worse than all of the Simic in Gatecrash.
Got to be better than Anemones!
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."

Much worse. Also much worse than Shambleshark. Worse than all of the Simic in Gatecrash.

That 4/2 merfolk for 6 would like to remind you it has effectively cornered the horrible simic market. I forget what it was even called--staggering merfolk or something?

That 4/2 merfolk for 6 would like to remind you it has effectively cornered the horrible simic market. I forget what it was even called--staggering merfolk or something?

Indeed, I guess there were bad Simic cards in Gatecrash, but the Simic cards I drafted, Cloudfins, Shamblesharks, Elusive Krasis, Drakewing Krasis, Croconauas, Frilled Oculus, Metropolis Sprite... were all better than this one. I think I might prefer Disciple of the Old Ways to this one, even in pure Simic. But I suppose that depends on how relevant 2 CMC 2/2s are in this format.

Indeed, I guess there were bad Simic cards in Gatecrash, but the Simic cards I drafted, Cloudfins, Shamblesharks, Elusive Krasis, Drakewing Krasis, Croconauas, Frilled Oculus, Metropolis Sprite... were all better than this one. I think I might prefer Disciple of the Old Ways to this one, even in pure Simic. But I suppose that depends on how relevant 2 CMC 2/2s are in this format.

I don't really see this as a simic card, as see it as a bloodrush target. But yeah, you're not saying it directly, but Simic needs to curve out, and this is behind curve and thus creature 20 or so for a Simic deck.

Yeah, all of the other Simic Evolvers become ahead of curve at the point you evolve them once. This one requires an evolution to be on-curve. So I expect to see this mainly in Bloodrush themed decks, where it makes a hell of a bluff. Block me, and I might grow large enough to kill the blocker, deal trample damage, and still survive. Don't block me and I will grow large enough to be a legitimate threat over time.
I think people are forgetting that there really isn't going to be a Simic deck to "curve out" anymore. The days of T1 raptor/T2 Shamble/T3 Croc etc etc etc are pretty much over. As such, this guy being a slower on the curve isn't a deal breaker.

He's not immediately aggressive, but he is going to be at least a 3/2 trample for 3, which is not bad at all. I had multiple games during the prerelease where he as initially ignored in favour of more immediate threats, and ended up at a 5/4. Trample + Evolve + combat tricks was very handy.

Most of the simic evolve creatures have higher toughness than power, so it's good to get some that are the other way around so they can help each other. Plus it can be hard to get perfect mana to cast the shark on turn 2. It's not great (for one more mana in red you can get a version of this already evolved three times) but good at what it is.
I think people are forgetting that there really isn't going to be a Simic deck to "curve out" anymore. The days of T1 raptor/T2 Shamble/T3 Croc etc etc etc are pretty much over. As such, this guy being a slower on the curve isn't a deal breaker.

He's not immediately aggressive, but he is going to be at least a 3/2 trample for 3, which is not bad at all. I had multiple games during the prerelease where he as initially ignored in favour of more immediate threats, and ended up at a 5/4. Trample + Evolve + combat tricks was very handy.

Yes. This is much like Tithe Drinker. Worse than its counterparts in GTC, but good enough now that we only get one pack of GTC evolvers. And decks will be three-color, so Shark loses a bit of value.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

This. Being one color, light commitment, easy to evolve and with a good ability makes this a lot better than it looks. Sure, in straight-up Simic it's worse than Shambleshark, it's easily playable with the large creatures and tricks of Selesnya and Gruul or the Scavenge from Golgari.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Gatecrash wasn't as fast as people said it was. DGM-GC-RTR won't be as slow as people say it is.

Gate... crash... wasnt... fast...?

*/nam flashbacks to the hordes of Boros decks*
Gate... crash... wasnt... fast...?

*/nam flashbacks to the hordes of Boros decks*

I'm with you.  I remember a Naya build that was killing with Bloodrush and Boros Charm by turn five some times.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Not gonna lie, I loved this card when it was spoiled, but after 6 prerelease events, 24 matches in total, I have failed to see it be very valuable to any of my decks or my opponent's.

It's below-curve starting p/t hurts in alongside other Simic cards. On turn 3, a 2/1 is unlikely to trigger an evolve. Sure, it grows easily, but it takes way too long for the Trample keyword to be worth anything - it either hangs back as a sub-par blocker, waiting to be hit by removal, or it attacks and is insta-blocked and traded with. That's a nice quality to have in a 3-drop monocolor common, I admit, but I feel that this will be an overvalued common for a long time. Still worth a 2.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)