Turn//Burn *DGM Spoiler Alert*

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two situations I'd like clarification with please. 

Situation one:
My opponent has Kessig Wolf Run.  I declare no blocks, and my opponent decides to pump his creature with Kessig.  Is there anyway I can let Kessig Wolfrun resolve and then cast Turn // Burn?  What I think is yes, because in order to move to the next phase priority has to be passed to both players.  So since Kessig resolves, priority moves back to me and I have a chance to play something.  Am I correct?

Situation two:
My opponent plays Sire of Insanity.  During his second main phase, I play Turn // Burn on Sire (but I just use the Turn side of the card).  Does Sire's ability trigger at the end step since it's a 0/1 Weird only until end of turn?  What I think is no, since the clean up step is when it changes back to Sire and that's at the end of the end step.  Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Correct on both accounts.
1) You can cast it 'in response', or you can wait for it to resolve. In both cases your opponent will have priority but will need to cast something or pass priority to you.
OTOH, assuming you plan on using Turn, it will not affect the bonus from Kessig. If he does Kessig for a +4/+0 on his runeclaw bear, if you then Turn the bear, it will become a 4/1 weird.
So if my opponent's Kessig resolves for 4, making his Thragtusk 9/3, and I cast Turn, it will be a 4/1 Weird?  Will it still have trample?

Also, what happens to Voice of Resurgence if I Turn AND Burn it on my turn, does Voice's death ability still trigger?
So if my opponent's Kessig resolves for 4, making his Thragtusk 9/3, and I cast Turn, it will be a 4/1 Weird?  Will it still have trample?

It will be a 4/1 without trample.

Also, what happens to Voice of Resurgence if I Turn AND Burn it on my turn, does Voice's death ability still trigger?

It will become a 0/1 with no abilities, then die. Its ability will not trigger.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

This has to do with layers. There are two effects trying to modify your opponent's Thragtusk: Kessig Wolf Run wants to give it +4/+0 and trample, while Turn wants to make it a 0/1 Weird with no abilities.

So the game goes through the layer system, and finds that in layer 4, an effect wants to make Thragtusk a Weird. No problem. Then it gets to layer 6, and finds that two effects try to change things: Kessig Wolf Run wants to give trample, while Turn wants to remove all abilities. These effects are applied in timestamp order, so first Thragtusk gets trample, and then it loses all abilities. If you had cast Turn before Kessig Wolf Run resolved, then Thragtusk would first lose all abilities and then gain trample.

Then the game gets to layer 7b, where Turn wants to make Thragtusk a 0/1. This happens, but in layer 7c Kessig Wolf Run wants to give it +4/+0. The end result is a 4/1 Weird that has lost all abilities, including trample.
So these layers that are mentioned, they're new to me.  But I understand what you're saying.

So a few more questions for Turn // Burn:

When equipped, I assume the card still gets the bonuses of the equipment, just the creature alone becomes a 0/1 Weird?

How about for enchantments?  Like Rancor for instance, does the creature become a 2/1 Weird with trample or does it just become 0/1 Weird?

If an opponent bloodrushes his creature, can I let the bloodrush resolve, then cast Turn to make it 0/1?  Or do the bonuses still take place like Kessig Wolf Run?

Thanks in advance again!
So these layers that are mentioned, they're new to me.  But I understand what you're saying.

So a few more questions for Turn // Burn:

When equipped, I assume the card still gets the bonuses of the equipment, just the creature alone becomes a 0/1 Weird?

How about for enchantments?  Like Rancor for instance, does the creature become a 2/1 Weird with trample or does it just become 0/1 Weird?

If an opponent bloodrushes his creature, can I let the bloodrush resolve, then cast Turn to make it 0/1?  Or do the bonuses still take place like Kessig Wolf Run?

Thanks in advance again!

First, you apply the P/T setting effect, then you add on any modifications.  So, you start with 0/1 then apply the bonus or minus from the equiment, aura, Giant Growth etc.

The FAQ at the top of this forum is excellent.  If you read the section on layers, it should clear up your confusion.

The FAQ at the top of this forum is excellent.

+1. To over looked.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

P/T mods will happen, most other effects will depend on whether the equipment was equipped before or after the resolution of Turn

this works the same way
if they Turn a creature with Rancor already attached it'll be a 2/1 weird, but no trample
if you put Rancor on a creature that has had Turn cast on it this turn, it'll be a 2/1 weird with Trample

the 0/1 effect will overwrite its printed P/T values, but the bloodrush buff will still be applied just like Kessig Wolf Run

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Can you use turn / burn to destroy an indestructible creature?
Can you use turn / burn to destroy an indestructible creature?

Kind of a tricky question. This entry is from the main rules faq sticky on top of the page.

Q: Is being indestructible an ability?
A: No. Being indestructible is a quality, not an ability in and of itself--indestructible is something the permanent is, not something it has. However, and this is where people often get confused, the text "{This card} is indestructible" is an ability, an ability which grants the card the quality of being indestructible. Removing that ability would stop the card from being indestructible, because there would no longer be anything granting it that quality.

So, for example, if you make a Spearbreaker Behemoth lose its abilities with Snakeform , it will no longer be indestructible, because it loses the "this is indestructible" ability that causes it to be indestructible in the first place. However, if your opponent played Spearbreaker Behemoth 's ability to make one of his creatures indestructible until the end of the turn, and then you Snakeform ed that creature, it would still be indestructible, because the Behemoth's ability is granting a quality, not an ability.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

So yes?

If I understood that, it means I can use turn/burn to kill tajic, blade of the legion but not to kill a creature made indestructible by a resolved rootborn defenses?
So yes? If I understood that, it means I can use turn/burn to kill tajic, blade of the legion but not to kill a creature made indestructible by a resolved rootborn defenses?

You understand correctly.

Sign In to post comments