tips for Playing table top rpgs Alone

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
to whom it may concern,

i moved this thread, i thought to rename it but...... i apoligize in advanced.

this is not the best way to play alone, if you want a better way to create campaign worlds and stuff, hook me up with some knowledge, im hungry for it and so..... the areas im hungry for are short lists of :

enemy ai
generic quests
simple npc answers
 world map events
exploration events
and local area events

i think you should help because it keeps me sane, and we can bring power back to the gamer in you.

-your friend 

Troll king

you will need three or more maps, to start off with.

a world map (for travel)

some local maps for towns and or citys (for role playing, shopping, finding missions,, and services its up to you for the most part)

and some tactical maps for dungeons and similar areas (for combat treasure and mission objectives)

world map, 

measure the distance, and determine how far you can travel in a day.

after youve moved and decided on a course of action.

that ends your turn, you now roll to check for an encounter, then you can rest or explore the area.

tactical map
 if, and whenever you stop at any specific location from your world map, its either a rest stop, or exploration area, you choose.

if its an area your interested in, get your tactical maps out. and explore, watch out for monsters, and obstacles.

local map
 if its a city or something similar, get your local map and explore. 

you can shop, get missions, lern about or introduce new dungeons to the world map,  or roleplay  an npc.

write down notes of the places you explore can revisit it from time to time. 

for more information on this method of play. please check back or leave any questions bellow. thank you

Troll king

so im thinking,of using my d and d character, in a castle raven loft way, and my magic cards to be the enemys.....so draw a card, the mana cost is xp, but..... what can i do? for loot?

Troll king

One thread on this subject was enough; you should really stop posting these. There was no reason to create another thread and the topic was already discussed and advised against by several people- IF you insist on continuing to beat a dead horse on this subject take it to the Houserule & Homebrew forums, it doesn't belong here.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Here's what I'd do if I were going to try playing D&D solo;

1) If you're looking for that 4e feel?  Go buy a copy of either the Ravenloft or Arshardalon board games.  It's 4e in a box for all intents & purposes.  Figures, power cards, ready to play "quests" treasure, & even a limited form of lv up.

2) If the D&D boardgames are too simple?  Try a boardgame called Descent.  Ether the 1st edition or 2nd.  Much the same as the WoTC offerings, but more complex.

3) Yet another boardgame suggestion: Tomb.  Tombs complexity is to Descent what Descents is to WoTC.

4) Pick up a cheap copy of the AD&D1e DMG.  Thanks to charts in the back you can generate completely random dungeons, stock the rooms randomly - both with monsters & misc. details - and generate your treasure....
Reported this thread.

This is a duplicate thread, and it is not a discussion. You are obviously not looking for discussion or input on the topic from other members of the board.

Go write a blog instead and stop posting these things here where no one cares. The forums are not your personal website or blogging space. Use tumblr, livejournal, blogger, or any other of the number of free blog host sites instead.
the object of my post

to play any role playing game system i own alone.......its not bad once you get it going........but now ive played fynal fantasy tactics and think hey! i can deal with world map, minis, and random unique locations, my imagination has done the detail work for me.....

Troll king

We’ve removed content from this thread because of a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

Remember, a community is a joint effort of all those involved, and while we want intellegent meaningful and productive banter to ensue we also need it to be polite and considerate of others. Believe us when we say it is possible.

Thank you for your time and support as we continue to try and make a great community for everyone.

It seems you know pretty much what you need.  You could use a series of decks of cards to represent random answers, questions or situations.  The more varied the choices for a single question, outcome or action   It really is up to your imagination and effort to come up with as many  varied possibilities.

It doesn't sound terribly different than a video game.  You are coming up with as many different outcomes in a lower tech way. 

Troll king

ive been sleeping at my cpu, finding ways to role play solo. its not easy. i dont want to aurgue, because im extremely stressed. just know      

that im doing this for the community, before winter, in hopes that some body may see this and decide to help. aww who cares.

Troll king

No one wants to see your dirty room. SOLO play should be left to RPGs like Skyrim or Oblivion, or something of that nature- STOP trying to convince others to do it for you especially with 4e...it's not going to work and you're wasting time.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

i
 uploaded a picture of my break through. 
 solo play is comming along with out side help.
 now if i could fill out these flash cards........

Troll king

The miniatures handbook for 3.5e had some good ideas... and NOTHING has beaten Gary Gygax's 1st edition DMG...

Random

Dungeon

Generator

-

It's more fun to play RPGs with friends, though.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
To be honest playing D&D alone is just sad. 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Your avatar makes that statement all the more apropos.
Sudden inspiration!

1) Design an adventure

2) Wait for the party to 'ignore the cries for help' that was supposed to be the big hook.

3) Sit on the adventure for 20 years while life goes on, making you totally forget about it.

4) Change addresses.

5) Discover adventure in old box 7 months later (as you are finally unpacking).

6) Make a character and play the adventure.

7) Be amazed at how easily you steam-roll over your younger self's 'great' ideas. Laugh when you ignore your own plot-hooks.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
lol , id like you to try them things......
 im not gonna sit on it for 20 years. but tge dmg 1st edition is not for solo play. its for Dungeon masters, which is only in group play.
 dont belive me? it says can be used in conjunction with play.
 but nah, solo play is sweet. you just dont know pinkey.  

oh i up loaded a nother helpful photo.  

Troll king

the tesbox, an original idea to play d and d using the example maps found in adventure modules, i just posted the video  folow the tutorial to make a  

tesbox and begin playing hermit style today!

[video=1520993]

Troll king

Lol!

Sad.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
so what do you think?
  are you convinced that i work with the community to progres our under standing of how to roleplay? join me, your handsome hero as i attempt to make a hermit role playing game.

Troll king

Like I've never heard someone insult me because I like MLP... Undecided

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

ok guys, i understand you all have opinions. but this thread is for for america, for you,and for the world. so.....im trying to make a simple ai for npc  
 conversation. with 6 response types- rude, distractions, informative, funny, avoiding, and other. for other responses flip the card and add 6 more, aquard, inteligent, useless,   abusive, judgemental,ignore you, and a grunt

but how do i  procede next?

Troll king

Hmm I can understand the feeling of wanting to roleplay and not having people to play with or not wanting to compromise your own imagination, but I do have to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to make adventures with games like Neverwinter Nights or the new game Neverwinter that have an editor.
That way you can play your own adventures having the computer handle the monsters and even share the adventures with others.

Like I've never heard someone insult me because I like MLP... 

I don't think FoxFireInferno intended that as an insult.  Recall the particular scene from the particular episode your particular avatar came from.

@Trashoon

Going by both your goals and, more telling, your approach, it sounds like you would be better off making a D&D-inspired video game, either from the ground up or adapting an existing game engine.  I'll second the Neverwinter Nights game editors.  They're not the easiest tools to work with, but NWN seems to capture the type of gameplay it seems you're trying to create.  And NWN already runs off a modified version of D&D.

A rougelike or text-based adventure format could also work if you don't want to mess with an existing engine, but also don't want to deal with have to learn a bunch of programming overhead just to get started.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
 before i give up on my dream of sharing with the people like me. allow me to say, i already am using rpg maker, but i prefer my dice rollin guys, plus i    

already invested alot of time and money into d and d rule books. so. nevermind. ill do it myself,like pathfinder did.

so please have fun with your video games. like ddo, d and d daggerdale, and other d and d clones, where you cant use any thing but a weapon or        some spells. 

while i design a pen and paper rpg ment be played solo, or with friends, and a narrator is optional. ill just never post any information about

this,because i feel, like no one is willing to help work on this awesome idea. however if any one on this thread is here for playing real d and d, let me  

know, we cant play solo yet but with a little brainstorming. itl come around. 

Troll king

I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
hi guys, if you  have any solo role playing tips (pen and paper) please post them here. have a good day.

Troll king

Lol I love how Ash and I get ORC'd, yet this topic still exists. Mods need to do their jobs better.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
thank you, please continue to post single player role playing tips here, your imput is valued.

Troll king

make dungein tiles, roll random encounters using my dmg, and place puzzles. ok i think id like to start a segment on that. lol i will try something like this probaly on a blog of mine. for any one who needs a dm. 

Troll king

how many minions does it take to level up?

Troll king