Divine Bolts Abuse: The Modern Way

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've seen that Divine Bolts abuse was a common thing for a time (especially ~2 years ago), then it petered out a bit due to the existence of more interesting things.

Sarifal Feywarden and Lightning Soul make that a little different though. Also, the AP feature of Devoted Orator is highly underappreciated.

Level 12 Build

Half-Elf, Invoker|Sentinel, Devoted Orator
Archery Mastery: Rapid Shot Mastery
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Preservation
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 19, Wis 21, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 25 Reflex: 24 Will: 25
HP: 76 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

Initiative: +13

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Perception +17, Insight +19

FEATS
Level 1: Deadly Draw
Level 2: Battlewise
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Archery Mastery
Level 10: Power of Skill
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Lightning Soul

POWERS
Dilettante: Fading Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Fire Hawk
Hybrid at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Hybrid encounter 1: Thunder of Judgment
Hybrid daily 1: Silent Malediction
Hybrid utility 2: Divine Call
Hybrid encounter 3: Wind Wall
Hybrid daily 5: Vine Serpents
Hybrid utility 6: Mighty Sprint
Hybrid encounter 7: Tide of the First Storm
Hybrid daily 9: Fourfold Invocation of Doom
Hybrid utility 10: Feywild Sojourn

ITEMS
Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (paragon tier), Magic Quarterstaff +3, Battle Harness Hide Armor +2, Amulet of Protection +2, Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier)

AP Nova:
move: Mighty Sprint (get into position)
minor: Sarifal's Blessing
AP (pulls all enemies in a CB5 up next to you)
AP standard: Rapid Shot, centered on self
standard: Rapid Shot, centered on self

The Devoted Orator AP feature means that every enemy in a CB5 (and I was able to start in a good position with Mighty Sprint) is now adjacent. I'm going to assume that this is 4 enemies.

Rapid Shot (with PoS'd Divine Bolts) means that I attack all 5 creatures in the burst (4 enemies + myself) once, and then an extra 4 attacks go onto one enemy, and yet another attack goes onto another enemy. Since they are all adjacent and Sarifal's Blessing is active, each enemy is vuln 10 lightning. I take a -2 to all attack rolls, but I also have CA against all enemies via Deadly Draw, so that's a wash. The final piece is Lightning Soul; if I hit myself with the attack directed at me, I resist 10 damage from Sarifal's Blessing, then deal 10 damage to a different enemy of my choice (probably the focus-fire target).

So for the focus-fire target, they're taking 5 attacks at 70% hit chance (plus 5% crit chance), 29.5 expected damage on a hit (42.5 on a crit). Add in the 65% chance of 10 extra damage (Lightning Soul), and expected damage on the focus-fire target is 120.375.

At this level, monster HP is 120, so this is slightly over 1 KPR... but this happens *twice* in the nova round. So it's actually 2 KPR to the main focus target, a little under 1 to the secondary focus target, and a little under .5 to the other two targets.

To put it another way, that's one dead elite, one near-dead standard, and two near-bloody standards...and you still have all your attack powers left.
I'm really glad you think you've found something interesting.

Oh, and Lightning Soul won't ping the Sarifal Vuln.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
To be honest, the most generally interesting thing to me is the Devoted Orator AP feature which seems very underutilized. The rest of it came from an attempt to see the most that could be milked from that feature, and this was my first good idea.

That being said, the build is perfectly practical, comes online relatively early (and is plenty good before the "trick" happens), and deals obscene damage. If you have some specific criticisms then I'd always like to hear them, but my initial impression is that it's worth playing.

EDIT: In response to Lightning Soul. That's true, good catch; that lowers the focus-fire damage to exactly 120.375, which is still just barely above 1 KPR. Sad though, I thought there was more synergy there. 
The AP feature on Devoted Orator is underutilized? I absolutely love it on mine. I figured it was practically common knowledge.
but my initial impression is that it's worth playing.

Any build that's based around rolling a dozen attack rolls, damaging itself in order to effectively 1 round an encounter, and abusing a particularly poorly written (and you can ETV on the RAW) combination of mechanics ... is not worth playing. And while they are definitely ways of improving the concept, that you continue to insist that builds like this are playable, I really have no intent to share my thoughts on the matter, 4e isn't meant to be rocket tag so builds like this aren't in the spirit of the game for multiple reasons.

And just in case anyone is being oblivious today: I am so totally also talking about the rebreather.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I didn't mean that it's gone unnoticed entirely, just that it's underappreciated. I confess that I've never used it nor seen it in play, but it strikes me as being very close to "for one turn, all of your burst 1 attacks are now close burst 5." That's insane. But Cazzeo's invoker guide, for example, lists the PP as skyblue, saying that all the features are "useful" but specifically calling out the f16 and e11 - which are both great, but pale in comparison to the AP feature, in my opinion.

I dunno, maybe I'm overrating it, but I can just see so many classes and situations where a feature like that would be great (shame that it's kinda restricted to int/wis).

Any build that's based around rolling a dozen attack rolls, damaging itself in order to effectively 1 round an encounter, and abusing a particularly poorly written (and you can ETV on the RAW) combination of mechanics ... is not worth playing. And while they are definitely ways of improving the concept, that you continue to insist that builds like this are playable, I really have no intent to share my thoughts on the matter, 4e isn't meant to be rocket tag so builds like this aren't in the spirit of the game for multiple reasons.

And just in case anyone is being oblivious today: I am so totally also talking about the rebreather.

They're fun for one-offs like Lair Assault, though.  Assuming the dice don't hate you, anyway.

random question related to original post. How do you determine the HP needed for KPR? I tried to search the forum, but we all know how that goes... sucky
thanks for posting the build !  It's impressive in it's own right.  And 2 KPR is nothing to sneeze at !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

random question related to original post. How do you determine the HP needed for KPR? I tried to search the forum, but we all know how that goes... sucky

Typical monster hit points at level X = 8X + 24.

Try googling for something like "striker benchmarks D&D 4E".
From Borg285's sig:

DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit
KPR = Kills Per Round.  1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage
       = DPR/(8*level+24)
KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds.  How many standards can you kill in N rounds?

You're fired          : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR
Fair Striker          : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR
Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR
Nerfbat please     : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR
It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR

Baseline Striker DPR : 2*level+6 (4 round striker)
Highly Optimized DPR: 4*level+12(2 round striker)
Nerfbat please          : 8*level+24(1 round striker)
From Borg285's sig:

DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit
KPR = Kills Per Round.  1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage
       = DPR/(8*level+24)
KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds.  How many standards can you kill in N rounds?

You're fired          : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR
Fair Striker          : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR
Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR
Nerfbat please     : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR
It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR

Baseline Striker DPR : 2*level+6 (4 round striker)
Highly Optimized DPR: 4*level+12(2 round striker)
Nerfbat please          : 8*level+24(1 round striker)

One bit of terminology that I've never been clear on, I think because people use the terms differently, is whether DPR and KPR assume no use of finite resources.

I've read a lot of stuff here that presupposes that "DPR" means "how much damage you can do every round, over and over again, without using any finite resources and without assuming weird monster tactics or advantages that you can't generate every round".  But KPR often doesn't presuppose the same thing; it's more likely to take into account nova potential.  Right?

The benchmarks for baseline (one kill in four rounds), optimized (one kill in two rounds), and overpowered typically assume no finite resources too, right?
Thanks Noctaem!
One bit of terminology that I've never been clear on, I think because people use the terms differently, is whether DPR and KPR assume no use of finite resources.

I've read a lot of stuff here that presupposes that "DPR" means "how much damage you can do every round, over and over again, without using any finite resources and without assuming weird monster tactics or advantages that you can't generate every round".  But KPR often doesn't presuppose the same thing; it's more likely to take into account nova potential.  Right?

The benchmarks for baseline (one kill in four rounds), optimized (one kill in two rounds), and overpowered typically assume no finite resources too, right?

It kinda depends on the context. If someone refers to their "DPR in round 1," then that's exactly what it is: how much damage they deal in that round. But if someone just refers to a characters DPR in general, then that means round-over-round with no finite resources.

DPR and KPR are the same, but KPR is a more meaningful number because it includes some context about the enemies.

Instead of "DPR in round 1" you could always say "round 1 nova," but there isn't really any other way to express "KPR in round 1" that I am aware of.

You've gotten me curious: what would make a build interesting for you? Rebreathers seem to be regarded as the strongest "practical" striker build at the moment; you don't care for them, or anything more effective, so you aren't going for pure effectiveness. You're a CharOp regular though, so you aren't all about the fluff either. I don't mean to suggest that more "normal" builds aren't fun, but I would say that at this point they aren't interesting. So what would a striker build have to have for you to consider it an interesting build?

Similar question for other roles as well, since I don't recall any builds that seemed to wow you (I usually see you be pretty neutral, sometimes critical, but never intrigued).
KPR is not a more meaningful number. It's a meaningless average of three possibly-meaningful numbers that doesn't tell us anything but your "high score". Read the actual builds.

Oh, I wasn't referring to Borg's specific use of "KPR" for the DPR Kings thread, I meant it in the general sense of (DPR / Expected monster HP). Which is definitely more useful than the plain DPR number.
This looks like a pretty fun build, but I gotta ask: Does it matter which Invoker Convocation you pick up? Is there a type that works best with the build, or do they all work equally fine? Also, I'm probably missing something simple, but what does Hybrid-ing into Sentinel do for this build? (Sarifal Feywarden, maybe?)

Wednesday Character:

Dredge, Level 2 Revenant!Githzerai Night Stalker Assassin

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Dredge, level 2
Revenant, Assassin
Build: Night Stalker Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Assassin: Black Flame Form
Choose your Race in Life: Githzerai
Background: Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 29 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +12, Thievery +11, Bluff +10, Acrobatics +11, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2, Streetwise +5, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Agile Recovery

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Light Shield, Flensing Fullblade +1, Helm of Seven Deaths, Magic Ki Focus +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Friday Character:

Snow, Level 3 Razorclaw Shifter Flashing Blade Scout

Show

Snow, level 3
Razorclaw Shifter, Scout
Two-Weapon Style: Flashing Blade Mastery
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Ambush Expertise
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Watchful Rest
Background: River Smuggler (River Smuggler Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 16
HP: 37 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +10, Perception +10, Streetwise +8, Acrobatics +13, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +2, Religion +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
Level 2 Scout Utility Power: Invigorating Stride

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Sack (8), Relentless Spiked chain +1, Dagger, Quickhit Braces (heroic tier)

Saturday Characters:

Vorgh, Level 15 Human Storm Sorcerer|Blizzard Mage

Show

Vorgh, level 15
Human, Sorcerer, Blizzard Mage
Build: Storm Sorcerer
Spell Source: Storm Magic
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics)
Arcane Admixture Power: Flame Spiral
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 20, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 24.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Reflex: 29 Will: 33
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +21, Arcana +15, Acrobatics +19, Bluff +21, Insight +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +14, Heal +13, History +12, Intimidate +18, Nature +13, Perception +13, Religion +12, Stealth +16, Streetwise +18, Thievery +16, Athletics +10

FEATS
Human: Staff Expertise
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 6: Grounding Shot
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Against All Odds (retrained to Repel Charge at Level 11)
Level 11: War Wizardry
Level 12: Jack of All Trades
Level 14: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike
Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Solkara's Wave
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Ice Dragon's Teeth
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Earthquake Strike
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar
Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins
Sorcerer utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer daily 5: Palest Flames
Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm
Sorcerer daily 9: Howling Hurricane
Sorcerer utility 10: Narrow Escape
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder Breath (replaces Thundering Roar)
Sorcerer daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Ice Javelins)

ITEMS
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of Fury (paragon tier), Raven Cloak +3, Staff of Ruin +3, Robe of Defying Flames Githweave Armor +3, Gloves of Ice (paragon tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Ring of Borrowed Spells, Fundamental Ice (heroic tier) (5), Foe Stone (paragon tier)

Sheska, Level 15 Human Brawler Fighter|Shock Trooper

Show

Sheska, level 15
Human, Fighter, Shock Trooper
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 34 Reflex: 27 Will: 29
HP: 112 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +13, Endurance +15, Heal +19, Athletics +21, History +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +11, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +14, Insight +14, Nature +14, Perception +14, Religion +11, Stealth +12, Streetwise +8, Thievery +12

FEATS
Human: Master at Arms
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
Level 4: Brawler Guard
Level 6: Inescapable Hold
Level 8: Focused Superiority (retrained to Striking Resurgence at Level 11)
Level 10: Brutal Brawler
Level 11: Deft Hurler Style
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Marked Scourge

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Power User Choice: Direct the Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Pitiless Grapple
Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded
Fighter encounter 13: Stranglehold (replaces Steel Serpent Strike)
Fighter daily 15: Dust Storm Assault (replaces Driving Attack)

ITEMS
Power Jewel (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Spiked gauntlet of Great Opportunity +2, Pileus Helm (Level 6), Rope of Slave Fighting (heroic tier), Battlestrider Greaves (paragon tier), Lightning Javelin +3, Amulet of False Life +3, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds

Mari, Level 15 Human Archery Ranger|Battlefield Archer

Show

Mari, level 15
Human, Ranger, Battlefield Archer
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger: Prime Shot
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 24, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 32 Fort: 28 Reflex: 31 Will: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +19, Nature +19, Stealth +22, Dungeoneering +19, Acrobatics +21, Perception +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +12, Heal +14, History +10, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +10, Streetwise +11, Thievery +16, Athletics +8

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 1: Crossbow Expertise
Level 4: Predatory Action
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 8: Lethal Hunter
Level 10: Grounding Shot
Level 11: Steady Shooter
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 14: Shadow of the Wild

POWERS
Power User Choice: Rapid Shot
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger daily 1: Sure Shot
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Ranger utility 6: Healing Lore
Ranger encounter 7: Biting Volley
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Defensive Volley
Ranger encounter 13: Pinning Strike (replaces Two-Fanged Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Sure Shot)

ITEMS
Swiftshot Superior crossbow +3, Feytouched Earthhide Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Tattoo of Bloodied Chains (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Endless Quiver, Lightning Arrow +2 (4), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Stone of Wind (paragon tier)

Sunday Character:

Bowen, Level 1 Half-Elf Euphoric Ardent

Show

Bowen, level 1
Half-Elf, Ardent
Build: Euphoric Ardent
Ardent Mantle: Mantle of Elation
Half-Elf Power Selection: Knack for Success
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 18, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Endurance +8, Diplomacy +12, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Thievery +1, Athletics -2

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training

POWERS
Ardent at-will 1: Intent Laid Bare
Ardent at-will 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent daily 1: Battleborn Acuity

ITEMS
Falchion, Hide Armor

This looks like a pretty fun build, but I gotta ask: Does it matter which Invoker Convocation you pick up? Is there a type that works best with the build, or do they all work equally fine? Also, I'm probably missing something simple, but what does Hybrid-ing into Sentinel do for this build? (Sarifal Feywarden, maybe?)

I assume you mean Covenant Manifestation? No, it doesn't matter very much, but Preservation is probably slightly more useful.

The Sentinel hybrid is one of those situations where you barely lose anything by doing it, but gain some good power options and an encounter heal, so it's almost strictly better than the pure invoker (though invoker|cleric is competitive). It also gives Athletics as a class skill, and I wanted Mighty Sprint, so that was part of it.
Power of Skill + Divine Bolts = Headache. I'm really not fond of any build that tries to use this, Deft Hurler Divine Bolts, Rapid Shot Divine Bolts, whatever. It's one of few things I like to pretend don't exist (like Champion of Order).
Sadly, I just stumbled across something that could cause problems: the wording of Rapid Shot itself. According to the power text, "Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature[...]," so would that mean you can't use spells? Is that why this build uses a quarterstaff, as it counts as a weapon? Is Divine Bolts then considered an attack made with a weapon?

Wednesday Character:

Show

Dredge, level 2
Revenant, Assassin

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2, Streetwise +5, Athletics

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Light Shield, Flensing Fullblade +1, Helm of Seven Deaths, Magic Ki Focus +1

Friday Character:

Show

Snow, level 3
Razorclaw Shifter, Scout

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +2, Religion +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Sack (8), Relentless Spiked chain +1, Dagger, Quickhit Braces (heroic tier)

Saturday Characters:

Show

Vorgh, level 15

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +14, Heal +13, History +12, Intimidate +18, Nature +13, Perception +13, Religion +12, Stealth +16, Streetwise +18, Thievery +16, Athletics +10

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of Fury (paragon tier), Raven Cloak +3, Staff of Ruin +3, Robe of Defying Flames Githweave Armor +3, Gloves of Ice (paragon tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Ring of Borrowed Spells, Fundamental Ice (heroic tier) (5), Foe Stone (paragon tier)

Show

Sheska, level 15

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +11, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +14, Insight +14, Nature +14, Perception +14, Religion +11, Stealth +12, Streetwise +8, Thievery +12

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Power Jewel (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Spiked gauntlet of Great Opportunity +2, Pileus Helm (Level 6), Rope of Slave Fighting (heroic tier), Battlestrider Greaves (paragon tier), Lightning Javelin +3, Amulet of False Life +3, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds

Show

Mari, level 15
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +19, Nature +19, Stealth +22, Dungeoneering +19, Acrobatics +21, Perception +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +12, Heal +14, History +10, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +10, Streetwise +11, Thievery +16, Athletics +8

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Swiftshot Superior crossbow +3, Feytouched Earthhide Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Tattoo of Bloodied Chains (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Endless Quiver, Lightning Arrow +2 (4), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Stone of Wind (paragon tier)

Sunday Character:

Show

Bowen, level 1
Half-Elf, Ardent
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Thievery +1, Athletics -2

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Falchion, Hide Armor

Divine Bolts via staff (or bow) is an attack with a weapon. It is not a weapon attack.

Alright, cool. Does the same apply for rods/wands with properties that allow them to be used as a mace/other weapon, in that case?

Wednesday Character:

Show

Dredge, level 2
Revenant, Assassin

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Friday Character:

Show

Snow, level 3
Razorclaw Shifter, Scout

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Saturday Characters:

Show

Vorgh, level 15

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Show

Sheska, level 15

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Show

Mari, level 15

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS

Sunday Character:

Show

Bowen, level 1
Half-Elf, Ardent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS

POWERS

ITEMS
Falchion, Hide Armor

Divine Bolts via staff (or bow) is an attack with a weapon. It is not a weapon attack.

Alright, cool. Does the same apply for rods/wands with properties that allow them to be used as a mace/other weapon, in that case?

Ye, Ironscar Rod, Unforgettable Cudgel and the likes. Check community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758..." title="community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...">this out, for example.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
PoS + DBolts + Rapid Shot has obviously been done a lot before, but the PP pull, feywarden, and Lightning Soul are a cool new spin.

Anything you could pull with Mark of Storm for more hijinks?

You've gotten me curious: what would make a build interesting for you? Rebreathers seem to be regarded as the strongest "practical" striker build at the moment; you don't care for them, or anything more effective, so you aren't going for pure effectiveness. You're a CharOp regular though, so you aren't all about the fluff either. I don't mean to suggest that more "normal" builds aren't fun, but I would say that at this point they aren't interesting. So what would a striker build have to have for you to consider it an interesting build?

Similar question for other roles as well, since I don't recall any builds that seemed to wow you (I usually see you be pretty neutral, sometimes critical, but never intrigued).

The majority of builds I see posted here by regulars appear to me either as: "I found this questionable combination of rule elements that I think might be abusable, so I'm going to base my character around that interaction", or the mwao style "I'm going to take this fairly standard build, remove a lot of the supporting components, and add in something I consider anecdotally good" while aiming for the previous category, or the baseline style "Oh, Tinker Gnomes look like they'd make good Artificers, here's one". In reverse order ...

In the case of the later, not that anyone has made a tinker gnome artificer, it bores me because I already know how to make that build better than the person that's doing it, however I am generally rather supportive of those builds and provide solid feedback, if critical of poor choices. I do not like it when people present a basic build as being the most amazing thing. Because I like analogies, this is the John Williams group, good and workable for most, but to a critical expert, boring.

In the case of the second, modifying a solid build in order to fill a party niche is something that should be done user-side, as I've mentioned in the CharOp Ranking thread, subjective builds should be nothing more than side-bars on an actual build, and to me, posting them as your own is a bit of plagarism. I'm highly critical of these builds because they tend to flaunt the gains they do make in some areas, and completely ignore any lost ground, they would be praised if not for this. Sometimes these surprise me with a combination that just works so much better than it's parts, but in general there's a reason I've personally rejected the build. Lets go with Method Rock for this group, since you could just pump out hundreds of slightly different varients of different builds.

Firstly, and lastly, what I so often call "joke-op". My issue here starts with legality, if you're getting down to the point of the munchkin fallacy, even if you are right, you're wrong. In the case of this build, it's reasonable for a DM to decide you only get to target 1 creature per RBA with Rapid Shot, and suddenly this build is a waste of 2 feats, or in the case of a different build, if the DM closes a door. As Fardiz once told me, I have an odd sense of what's cheesy, as you probably know I argue in favor of Unlucky Teleport being a damage roll attached to the triggering power (shut up erachima, lightning field is not the same), and I play a Sigil Carver that makes his party 90% unhittable, total lockdown Mage, and an Arti|Cleric that ... well, lets not talk about The Doctor. Thing is, I trust myself to be able to waste a round dealing with a single enemy, or throwing myself in to take a few hits, basically 'when to hold back'. I don't see that in a single one of these threads, while most of us know not to bring most of these builds to a normal table, the only thing people talk about is "you can kill X number of creatures in a round" and so that's what anyone reading the thread walks away from it with "If I play this, I will dominate."

Epic Tiefling Enchanters, Genasi Battleminds, and Morninglord Invokers, etc. are this level of play that results in not actually playing, and then you guys create stuff like Mia, the unkillable builds, Dead Rebreathers, and other builds that were clearly not intended to work and push it into "well, this isn't D&D at all". "The DM can just compensate" no, they can't. You can't even build an encounter in the same half-tier in order to dent parties that are playing like that, and that's the point of those builds, you build them as a thought exercise and then someone goes and plays it so that they can Win. I find it incredibly hypocritical on a forum that's willing to bend rules in order to make poorly written elements actually work to not bend rules in order to make poorly written elements actually work properly.

Oh, and my final issue with that group of builds (which I'll title the Dragonforce group), is that a lot of them aren't even that good when you consider they're being created with the goal of breaking the game. I mean, you can repopulate the world with yourself, "lose time" and appear to vaporize a battlefield in a heartbeat, hurl an infinite number of daggers when an enemy provokes ... I feel like a lot of builds are just breaking into a Bank to steal just the plants.

Oh, and I forgot noob builds, which I actually am greatly interested in if the person is willing to listen, my disdain for people insisting on playing **** concepts is well documented.

Things that have interested me: Heather, Headspin, the old Slasher, a lot of the first Hybrids because I simply hadn't had time to consider those possibilities yet. You have to be both original, and competitively good without using some retarded epic trick.
Power of Skill + Divine Bolts = Headache. I'm really not fond of any build that tries to use this, Deft Hurler Divine Bolts, Rapid Shot Divine Bolts, whatever. It's one of few things I like to pretend don't exist (like Champion of Order).

What is wrong with champion of order?

"This enemy is dazed and weakened and if it attacks anyone but me it takes damage, then I hit it, and possibly hit it a 3rd time"
The majority of builds I see posted here by regulars appear to me either as: "I found this questionable combination of rule elements that I think might be abusable, so I'm going to base my character around that interaction", or the mwao style "I'm going to take this fairly standard build, remove a lot of the supporting components, and add in something I consider anecdotally good" while aiming for the previous category, or the baseline style "Oh, Tinker Gnomes look like they'd make good Artificers, here's one". In reverse order ...

In the case of the later, not that anyone has made a tinker gnome artificer, it bores me because I already know how to make that build better than the person that's doing it, however I am generally rather supportive of those builds and provide solid feedback, if critical of poor choices. I do not like it when people present a basic build as being the most amazing thing. Because I like analogies, this is the John Williams group, good and workable for most, but to a critical expert, boring.

In the case of the second, modifying a solid build in order to fill a party niche is something that should be done user-side, as I've mentioned in the CharOp Ranking thread, subjective builds should be nothing more than side-bars on an actual build, and to me, posting them as your own is a bit of plagarism. I'm highly critical of these builds because they tend to flaunt the gains they do make in some areas, and completely ignore any lost ground, they would be praised if not for this. Sometimes these surprise me with a combination that just works so much better than it's parts, but in general there's a reason I've personally rejected the build. Lets go with Method Rock for this group, since you could just pump out hundreds of slightly different varients of different builds.

Firstly, and lastly, what I so often call "joke-op". My issue here starts with legality, if you're getting down to the point of the munchkin fallacy, even if you are right, you're wrong. In the case of this build, it's reasonable for a DM to decide you only get to target 1 creature per RBA with Rapid Shot, and suddenly this build is a waste of 2 feats, or in the case of a different build, if the DM closes a door. As Fardiz once told me, I have an odd sense of what's cheesy, as you probably know I argue in favor of Unlucky Teleport being a damage roll attached to the triggering power (shut up erachima, lightning field is not the same), and I play a Sigil Carver that makes his party 90% unhittable, total lockdown Mage, and an Arti|Cleric that ... well, lets not talk about The Doctor. Thing is, I trust myself to be able to waste a round dealing with a single enemy, or throwing myself in to take a few hits, basically 'when to hold back'. I don't see that in a single one of these threads, while most of us know not to bring most of these builds to a normal table, the only thing people talk about is "you can kill X number of creatures in a round" and so that's what anyone reading the thread walks away from it with "If I play this, I will dominate."

Epic Tiefling Enchanters, Genasi Battleminds, and Morninglord Invokers, etc. are this level of play that results in not actually playing, and then you guys create stuff like Mia, the unkillable builds, Dead Rebreathers, and other builds that were clearly not intended to work and push it into "well, this isn't D&D at all". "The DM can just compensate" no, they can't. You can't even build an encounter in the same half-tier in order to dent parties that are playing like that, and that's the point of those builds, you build them as a thought exercise and then someone goes and plays it so that they can Win. I find it incredibly hypocritical on a forum that's willing to bend rules in order to make poorly written elements actually work to not bend rules in order to make poorly written elements actually work properly.

Oh, and my final issue with that group of builds (which I'll title the Dragonforce group), is that a lot of them aren't even that good when you consider they're being created with the goal of breaking the game. I mean, you can repopulate the world with yourself, "lose time" and appear to vaporize a battlefield in a heartbeat, hurl an infinite number of daggers when an enemy provokes ... I feel like a lot of builds are just breaking into a Bank to steal just the plants.

Oh, and I forgot noob builds, which I actually am greatly interested in if the person is willing to listen, my disdain for people insisting on playing **** concepts is well documented.

Things that have interested me: Heather, Headspin, the old Slasher, a lot of the first Hybrids because I simply hadn't had time to consider those possibilities yet. You have to be both original, and competitively good without using some retarded epic trick.

Interesting. I'm with you on the John Williams group. Mostly with you on the Method Rock group too, except that sometimes it's informative to show "this is how you'd adapt that concept to fit this group." If we're looking at builds as an educational tool, then it's very useful to demonstrate how complementing a group is done. So I don't look down on the builds, even though I don't usually consider them interesting.

For "joke-op"...I really do get what you're saying, and there are plenty of things I find too cheesy to use (the one that bothers me most is zone abuse; it bothers me to the point that I refuse to play a sorcerer since I don't want flame spiral). But at the same time, whenever I have a new idea, I like to push the limit of that idea.

For example, I already mentioned how this build came from me noticing the Devoted Orator AP feature for the first time and thinking of how good it was. Now, there are some obvious control things that can be done with that bunching (setup for an AoE-focused party, any mass daze + Legion Rebuke on the melee enemies to keep them from harming anything for a round, Enthrall becomes nearly a mass-stun, etc). But to me, the more interesting question is "what is the most effective thing that can be done with it?" Because any moron can make a build weaker, but seeing the most powerful usage gives a sense of how much potential there is.

I do feel obligated to point out that builds like this one aren't intended to break the game, but they *are* somewhat intended to break a particular game element or combination. However, "finding the best possible thing given a set of constraints" is roughly the definition of optimization, so... I consider this build, and builds like it, to be interesting. It's even playable with math fixes (remove Sarifal Feywarden first, then take out the goggles or dragonshard or whatever else is needed to match the rest of the party - and still keep the unique and flavorful "chain lightning"-type attack).

You do have an odd sense of cheesy though, because slashing to me is only mildly better than zone abuse.

"This enemy is dazed and weakened and if it attacks anyone but me it takes damage, then I hit it, and possibly hit it a 3rd time"

Sure he can totally pacify one enemy per encounter, but a good striker can kill that enemy with his encounter nova. I dont really see the problem.

Zone abuse has had total fixes as far as I've seen, pretty much everything except for that feat that makes a single square a zone is 1/turn
Zone abuse has had total fixes as far as I've seen, pretty much everything except for that feat that makes a single square a zone is 1/turn

Conflagrating Breath, a few Daily Powers that dealt static damage already

twtn: I didn't say Slasher wasn't cheesy, I said it was interesting to me, it used the new Hybrid Rules (and a horribly balanced background) to do something incredibly creative, it also didn't do anything rules questionable except for the 2nd ESA attack which was actually never RAW legal; I played one very briefly in low paragon before the nerf (because I knew it was coming), and I'm glad the nerf happened the way it did. Zone abuse at this point is no different than a teenager having a party in the garage because his parents told him "no parties in the house". They are, from my perspective, two entirely different types of builds with entirely different motives behind them.

But I digress, if optimization is "finding the best possible thing given a set of constraints" then optimization is done, you can deal infinite damage regardless of starting race or class.
You have to be both original, and competitively good without using some retarded epic trick.

This is the problem with modern optimization AFAIC. It seems that just about everything original and interesting has been done at this point, leaving the aforementioned builds. 

With regards to the posted build, I'm of the opinion that if you want to optimize around something like the Devoted Orator AP feature, you shouldn't be trying to break it. Instead make it work in interesting ways. This can still be damage, but then you should try to limit it to a relatively normal level. Combine two elements into something that's stronger than the separate parts, but at the same time doesn't break the game. That's when you've achieved true practical optimization. 
You have to be both original, and competitively good without using some retarded epic trick.

This is the problem with modern optimization AFAIC. It seems that just about everything original and interesting has been done at this point, leaving the aforementioned builds.

It depends on your definition of competitively good.

The problem is that some posters interpret competitively good to be at a level which typically gets massive pushback in a medium op game. When optimizing for a medium op game and explaining how you could go high op with it(or not) is both more practical and opens up more possibilities. IMO.

Which is basically the divide in CharOp.
But I digress, if optimization is "finding the best possible thing given a set of constraints" then optimization is done, you can deal infinite damage regardless of starting race or class.

Depends on what the constraints are. In this case, the constraints were that I wanted to be low-paragon and use the Devoted Orator PP (specifically take advantage of its AP feature). I'm not aware of any infinite damage builds that are subject to those constraints.

With regards to the posted build, I'm of the opinion that if you want to optimize around something like the Devoted Orator AP feature, you shouldn't be trying to break it. Instead make it work in interesting ways. This can still be damage, but then you should try to limit it to a relatively normal level. Combine two elements into something that's stronger than the separate parts, but at the same time doesn't break the game. That's when you've achieved true practical optimization. 

The lack of new content makes it nearly impossible to do an entirely original build. But I would consider each "retarded trick" to be one incrementally new idea, and then you do tend to see those ideas propagate out until they become normal.

Like I said, you can easily limit this build by just taking out Sarifal Feywarden and then possibly some of the more overpowered items, like Eagle Eye Goggles. It might surprise some people, but flavor counts for a lot for me, and one thing I enjoy about this build is the flavor of lashing out with dozens of lightning bolts to everything nearby, arcing everywhere but focused on a single enemy. That's a cool effect that's hard to replicate because the system math makes it very abusable; don't abuse it and it's fine.

(On a sidenote, the other power that has a similar vibe is the elementalist's Static Charge attack, which could be used in place of Rapid Shot + Divine Bolts if there are RAW problems there, and would be a somewhat scaled down version of this build. Maybe I should've built it that way from the beginning, Zathris may've found it interesting! But it wasn't the *most* optimal way to do it, so I personally considered the DB path more intriguing... one man's trash and all that.)

Zones, on the other hand, rely on the core concept that jumping in and out of a fire 10 times in 6 seconds is 10x as harmful as standing in a fire for 6 seconds, which doesn't even make sense by fantasy rules. Maybe there's a way to flavor it where it isn't as bizarre, but I haven't thought of any. Perhaps I'm just not very good at "fluffing."
The lack of new content makes it nearly impossible to do an entirely original build.

Exactly. That's why trying to show this board a new and interesting build is an exercise in futility. Nothing against you, because I like your posts and ideas, but that's just the way it is.

But I would consider each "retarded trick" to be one incrementally new idea, and then you do tend to see those ideas propagate out until they become normal.

And before you know it, you're operating in an entirely theoretical space while pretending to still be doing practical OP, with everybody shaking their heads in pity when they read your "new" and "groundbreaking" builds. 

(I'm obviously having a bit of fun with you here, don't take it personal)

(On a sidenote, the other power that has a similar vibe is the elementalist's Static Charge attack, which could be used in place of Rapid Shot + Divine Bolts if there are RAW problems there, and would be a somewhat scaled down version of this build. Maybe I should've built it that way from the beginning, Zathris may've found it interesting!

Of course, that's another goal entirely. One you should pursue at your own peril Wink
And before you know it, you're operating in an entirely theoretical space while pretending to still be doing practical OP, with everybody shaking their heads in pity when they read your "new" and "groundbreaking" builds.

I dunno about that, I think most of the standard optimizations started out as "here's this crazy new idea I had for messing with stuff," and then over time the bar for what's strong has been raised higher and higher. Unless something was blindingly obvious, most CharOp combos (like the optimizations for all the different damage types, or the various defender tricks, or what have you) came from one incremental idea that then became commonplace.

It's a little different when major new rulebooks come out and you can potentially make something totally new, but even then that build will likely get picked apart into separate individual tricks that can be plugged in to other builds.

I'm not saying that all tricks become generally useful (and sometimes they aren't meant to be, like the world-destroyed builds which are purely for fun). But many of them do, and even the ones that don't are at least more interesting than the standard "pick more multi-attack/enabling/dominating powers" op.
I'm not saying that all tricks become generally useful (and sometimes they aren't meant to be, like the world-destroyed builds which are purely for fun).

I think part of the issue here is where you draw the line at "purely for fun." Any optimized build on these forums would just dominate any real game I play in, but that doesn't keep me from seeking out cool builds and tinkering with my own. The line between theoryop and practical op can be wildy different depending on the op level of your group and capability of the DM to pose a challenge to high-op builds, so it's natural to have some disagreement there.

And even if you don't consider a build playable in a real game, it doesn't keep it from being fun/cool/inspiring.
Show

I've seen that Divine Bolts abuse was a common thing for a time (especially ~2 years ago), then it petered out a bit due to the existence of more interesting things.

Sarifal Feywarden and Lightning Soul make that a little different though. Also, the AP feature of Devoted Orator is highly underappreciated.

Level 12 Build

Half-Elf, Invoker|Sentinel, Devoted Orator
Archery Mastery: Rapid Shot Mastery
Covenant Manifestation: Manifestation of Preservation
Hybrid Invoker: Hybrid Invoker Fortitude
Half-Elf Power Selection: Dilettante
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 19, Wis 21, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.

AC: 25 Fort: 25 Reflex: 24 Will: 25
HP: 76 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

Initiative: +13

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Perception +17, Insight +19

FEATS
Level 1: Deadly Draw
Level 2: Battlewise
Level 4: Staff Expertise
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Archery Mastery
Level 10: Power of Skill
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Lightning Soul

POWERS
Dilettante: Fading Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Fire Hawk
Hybrid at-will 1: Divine Bolts
Hybrid encounter 1: Thunder of Judgment
Hybrid daily 1: Silent Malediction
Hybrid utility 2: Divine Call
Hybrid encounter 3: Wind Wall
Hybrid daily 5: Vine Serpents
Hybrid utility 6: Mighty Sprint
Hybrid encounter 7: Tide of the First Storm
Hybrid daily 9: Fourfold Invocation of Doom
Hybrid utility 10: Feywild Sojourn

ITEMS
Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (paragon tier), Magic Quarterstaff +3, Battle Harness Hide Armor +2, Amulet of Protection +2, Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier)

AP Nova:
move: Mighty Sprint (get into position)
minor: Sarifal's Blessing
AP (pulls all enemies in a CB5 up next to you)
AP standard: Rapid Shot, centered on self
standard: Rapid Shot, centered on self

The Devoted Orator AP feature means that every enemy in a CB5 (and I was able to start in a good position with Mighty Sprint) is now adjacent. I'm going to assume that this is 4 enemies.

Rapid Shot (with PoS'd Divine Bolts) means that I attack all 5 creatures in the burst (4 enemies + myself) once, and then an extra 4 attacks go onto one enemy, and yet another attack goes onto another enemy. Since they are all adjacent and Sarifal's Blessing is active, each enemy is vuln 10 lightning. I take a -2 to all attack rolls, but I also have CA against all enemies via Deadly Draw, so that's a wash. The final piece is Lightning Soul; if I hit myself with the attack directed at me, I resist 10 damage from Sarifal's Blessing, then deal 10 damage to a different enemy of my choice (probably the focus-fire target).

So for the focus-fire target, they're taking 5 attacks at 70% hit chance (plus 5% crit chance), 29.5 expected damage on a hit (42.5 on a crit). Add in the 65% chance of 10 extra damage (Lightning Soul), and expected damage on the focus-fire target is 120.375.

At this level, monster HP is 120, so this is slightly over 1 KPR... but this happens *twice* in the nova round. So it's actually 2 KPR to the main focus target, a little under 1 to the secondary focus target, and a little under .5 to the other two targets.

To put it another way, that's one dead elite, one near-dead standard, and two near-bloody standards...and you still have all your attack powers left.

Firewind Blade as weapliment would procc twice per RBA on your focus target. You would have to add fire per ED or via Power of Arcana and admixture, tho and would have to compensate the lack of Staff Expertise. Would also lock your MC/hybrid into Swordmage or at least any arcane with AIP.
So pretty costly, but could be worth it.

Power of Arcana doesn't work, you can't use that and Power of Skill at the same time.

So yeah, this doesn't really work until Epic (which is why it's not in the build, because epic is pretty well covered, so I was aiming for low-level). The epic build, which I haven't built out fully but is pretty simple to map out, is totally stupidly strong and will actually finish encounters in one turn.

It's perfectly situated for Firewind Blade + Radiant One (which is always stupidly strong), *and* it's set up for invoker critfishing (Invoked Devastation, Font of Radiance, Punishing Radiance), and when those are added to what's already going on...yeah. I almost want to build it to see the ridiculous numbers and to make Zathris angry with me

Power of Arcana doesn't work, you can't use that and Power of Skill at the same time.

Ah, didn't realize.

So yeah, this doesn't really work until Epic (which is why it's not in the build, because epic is pretty well covered, so I was aiming for low-level). The epic build, which I haven't built out fully but is pretty simple to map out, is totally stupidly strong and will actually finish encounters in one turn.

It's perfectly situated for Firewind Blade + Radiant One (which is always stupidly strong), *and* it's set up for invoker critfishing (Invoked Devastation, Font of Radiance, Punishing Radiance), and when those are added to what's already going on...yeah. I almost want to build it to see the ridiculous numbers and to make Zathris angry with me

Ye, epic will be a joke.

Don't know if Invoked Devastation will do anything for you, tho. Or do i miss something?
Oops. I meant Devastating Invocation. I always get those two confused (wonder why...).

The amount of damage that can get splashed out from that many attack rolls with that much vulnerability is ridiculous. And of course you'd pick up Pelor's Sun Blessing...
New goal...
New GOAT!

THUNDER GOAT, HOOO!

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Oops. I meant Devastating Invocation. I always get those two confused (wonder why...).

The amount of damage that can get splashed out from that many attack rolls with that much vulnerability is ridiculous. And of course you'd pick up Pelor's Sun Blessing...

Pelor's Sun Blessing wouldn't make any bigger difference, since the whole board will have vulnerability > 9000 from Punishing Radiance, anyway. ;)

Invoker's boost by epic feat support is ridiculous..