new to Magic - my first deck attempt

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey everyone. I'm new to Magic (only been playing for about a month), and I decided to try throwing a deck together. It's a blue/black mill deck. Check it out and let me know what you think. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Blue/Black Mill Deck (62 Cards) Creatures (18):4x Vampire Nighthawk2x Wight of Precinct Six2x Consuming Aberration2x Hedron Crab1x Lazav, Dimir Mastermind1x Kokusho, the Evening Star1x Geth, Lord of the Vault1x Myojin of Night’s Reach1x Butcher of Malakir1x Maze Abomination1x Avatar of Woe1x Nemesis of Reason Planeswalkers (2):1x Jace, Memory Adept1x Liliana Vess Lands (22):3x Dimir Guildgate2x Jwar Isle Refuge1x Watery Grave8x Swamp8x Island Other Spells (20):2x Glimpse the Unthinkable2x Tome Scour2x Hymn to Tourach2x Traumatize2x Murder2x Grisly Spectacle2x Bloodchief Ascension2x Counterspell2x Induce Paranoia1x Steal Enchantment1x Demonic Tutor
You need to autocard your deck.  [ c ] Counterspell [ / c ] = Counterspell when the spaces are removed.  It helps to review the deck and make comments better.
Hey everyone. I'm new to Magic (only been playing for about a month), and I decided to try throwing a deck together. It's a blue/black mill deck. Check it out and let me know what you think. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Blue/Black Mill Deck (62 Cards) Creatures (18):4x Vampire Nighthawk2x Wight of Precinct Six2x Consuming Aberration2x Hedron Crab1x Lazav, Dimir Mastermind1x Kokusho, the Evening Star1x Geth, Lord of the Vault1x Myojin of Night’s Reach1x Butcher of Malakir1x Maze Abomination1x Avatar of Woe1x Nemesis of Reason Planeswalkers (2):1x Jace, Memory Adept1x Liliana Vess Lands (22):3x Dimir Guildgate2x Jwar Isle Refuse1x Watery Grave8x Swamp8x Island Other Spells (20):2x Glimpse the Unthinkable2x Tome Scour2x Hymn to Tourach2x Traumatize2x Murder2x Grisly Spectacle2x Bloodchief Ascension2x Counter Spell2x Induce Paranoia1x Steal Enchantment1x Demonic Tutor

Creatures (18):4x </em>Vampire Nighthawk<em><em>2x </em>Wight of Precinct Six<em><em>2x </em>Consuming Aberration<em><em>2x </em>Hedron Crab<em><em>1x </em>Lazav, Dimir Mastermind<em><em>1x </em>Kokusho, the Evening Star<em><em>1x </em>Geth, Lord of the Vault<em><em>1x </em>Myojin of Night&rsquo;s Reach<em><em>1x </em>Butcher of Malakir<em><em>1x </em>Maze Abomination<em><em>1x </em>Avatar of Woe<em><em>1x </em>Nemesis of Reason<em><em> Planeswalkers (2):1x </em>Jace, Memory Adept<em><em>1x </em>Liliana Vess<em><em> Lands (22):3x </em>Dimir Guildgate<em><em>2x </em>Jwar Isle Refuge<em><em>1x </em>Watery Grave<em><em>8x </em>Swamp<em><em>8x </em>Island<em><em> Other Spells (20):2x </em>Glimpse the Unthinkable<em><em>2x </em>Tome Scour<em><em>2x </em>Hymn to Tourach<em><em>2x </em>Traumatize<em><em>2x </em>Murder<em><em>2x </em>Grisly Spectacle<em><em>2x </em>Bloodchief Ascension<em><em>2x </em>Counterspell<em><em>2x </em>Induce Paranoia<em><em>1x </em>Steal Enchantment<em><em>1x </em>Demonic Tutor<em>
You need to autocard your deck.  [ c ] Counterspell [ / c ] = Counterspell when the spaces are removed.  It helps to review the deck and make comments better.

Thanks! I was trying to figure out how to do it.

Yes and please don't use Italics, it becomes glitchy when auotocarding
A very common mistake for new players is trying to use a little of everything. You should focus on the best cards for what you are trying to achieve. As a guideline this means 24 lands and 9 cards at 4 copies each. You also have demonic tutor in your deck does that mean you want to use vintage format?

There are a lot of creatures in your deck which is not typical of mill decks. Usually they have around 12 creatures then the rest is control/discard/removal and mill. Using a cards with cypher like paranoid delusions or isochron scepter usually helps. 

Your mana curve is also very high. A deck like this should keep a much lower curve. 

Hope this helps.

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

agree with ppkitty. Check out some of the basic guidelines in my banner below (I just get sick of typing them over and over again). Since this is not Standard Mill, I would focus on the mill aspect and leave the damage at the door. If you wanna mill, mill. If you wanna win through damage, do that. I've made a pretty nasty U/B Mill deck that basically counters/kills and mills for the win (almost entirely creature-less too)

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

This is a Mill's deck worse nightmare by the way:

Gaea's Blessing