Zedruu the Greathearted EDH help!

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm determined to make a political Zedruu the Greathearted deck.   The intent of the deck is to seem unassuming while building up defenses, tossing out a few gifts, lockdowns, or shenanigans along the way, until I bust out with some alternative win-con.  

Creatures
1x Zedruu the Greathearted
1x Stronghold Biologist
1x Stronghold Machinist
1x Consecrated Sphinx
1x Viashino Heretic
1x Wall of Denial
1x Windborn Muse
1x Bazaar Trader
1x Intrepid Hero
1x Nin, the Pain Artist
1x Hanna, Ship's Navigator
1x Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
1x Stuffy Doll
1x Mother of Runes
1x Drift of Phantasms
1x Silent Arbiter
1x Felidar Sovereign
1x Psychosis Crawler
1x Meddling Mage
--

Donate and Shenanigans
1x Steel Golem
1x Rust Elemental
1x Illusions of Grandeur
1x Pyromancer's Swath
1x Cultural Exchange
1x Celestial Dawn
1x Thought Lash
--

Defensive Enchantments/Artifacts
1x Blind Obedience
1x Righteous Aura
1x Crawlspace
1x Propaganda
1x Ghostly Prison
1x Sphere of Safety
1x Karmic Justice
1x Delaying Shield
1x Cloud Cover
1x Pariah
1x Kismet
--

Removal
1x Supreme Verdict
1x Phyrexian Rebirth
1x Austere Command
1x Blasphemous Act
1x Forbid
1x Counterspell
1x Muddle the Mixture
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Detention Sphere
1x Cyclonic Rift
--

Misc.
1x Howling Mine
1x Land Tax
1x Leyline of Anticipation
1x Lightning Greaves
1x Rhystic Study
1x Library of Leng
1x Wild Research
1x Venser, the Sojourner
1x Proteus Staff
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Chromatic Lantern
1x Boros Charm
1x Luminarch Ascension
--

Land
1x Command Tower
1x Steam Vents
1x Vivid Crag
1x Vivid Meadow
1x Vivid Creek
1x Reliquary Tower
1x Kher Keep
1x Homeward Path
1x Tolaria West
5x Mountain
14x Plains
12x Island 
--
(Don't currently have the funds for the other dual lands

Maybeboard
Frozen Aether
Solemn Simulacrum
Meekstone 
Ashling the Pilgrim 
Auramancer
Grid Monitor
Planar Guide
Smoke
Jinxed Choker
Thieves' Auction 
Illicit Auction 
Rise of the Hobgoblins 
Nuisance Engine 
Guardian of the Gateless 
Open the Vaults 
Political Trickery
Planar Chaos
Jhoira of the Ghitu
Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker
Norn's Annex
Jiwari, the Earth Aflame
Greater Auramancy 
Witchbane Orb
Chronomantic Escape
Primordial Ooze
You are at 109 cards here before basic lands. Here is what I would remove to start:

I'm determined to make a political Zedruu the Greathearted deck, but I'm having trouble whittling down cards for it.  The intent of the deck is to seem unassuming while building up defenses, tossing out a few gifts, lockdowns, or shenanigans along the way, until I bust out with some alternative win-con.  I need a fresh set of eyes to help me cut down some extra cards in here, so Wizards community, hit me with your best shot!  What should I cut?

Disclaimer: I have limited funds and so Gilded Drake is a no-go for now.

Creatures
Zedruu the Greathearted
Courtly Provocateur - remove - not sure what your plan was with this
Consecrated Sphinx
Viashino Heretic
Wall of Denial
Windborn Muse
Jhoira of the Ghitu - remove - seems out of place in this deck
Cathedral Membrane -remove - there are better walls wall of reverence, wall of nets, wall of omens etc
Duergar Hedge-mage
Bazaar Trader
Pulsemage Advocate -remove - you are not dependent on your creatures in this, not worth giving them back cards
Intrepid Hero
Nin, the Pain Artist
Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Stuffy Doll
Mother of Runes

Alternate Effects as Main Use
Sanctum Plowbeast - remove - you have mana fixing already
Drift of Phantasms - remove -if you are using this as a cheap tutor, keep in mind it only tutors mana cost 3 not 3 or less.  I would run idyllic tutor or enlightened tutor or auramancer as you will have a lot of enchantments destroyed
Simian Spirit Guide -remove - not sure this helps you much.  I would run lotus petal instead. at least it gives you one of any color

Donate and Shenanigans
Steel Golem
Ivory Gargoyle -remove - too pricey and not a huge drawback
Molten Firebird - remove -too pricey and not a huge drawback
Illusions of Grandeur
Planar Chaos
Grip of Chaos
Pyromancer’s Swath
Cultural Exchange
Political Trickery
Celestial Dawn 

Kismet
Blind Obedience
Righteous Aura
Crawlspace
Propaganda
Ghostly Prison
Greater Auramancy
Thought Lash - remove - you may mill an essential card just to prevent 1 damage...
Norn's Annex
Sphere of Safety
Lightmine Field
Leyline of Anticipation
Witchbane Orb
Karmic Justice
Collective Restraint
Delaying Shield
Cloud Cover
Pariah
Luminarch Ascention 

Removal
Impending Disaster -remove - you need your lands - run targeted removal if you need to
Supreme Verdict
Phyrexian Rebirth
Blasphemous Act
Austere Command
Forbid
Counterspell
Cancel
Arcane Denial
Mana Leak
Dream Fracture - remove - I don't think you need all these counterspells.  I would run some bounce in place of this one.
Muddle the Mixture
Counterflux
Temporal Isolation -remove -I don't like one off enchant effects.  just add removal swords to plowshares or oblation
Arrest - remove
Oblivion Ring
Detention Sphere
Hinder -remove - don't think you need it, and also there are better counterspells

Misc.
Howling Mine
Sphere of the Suns
Swiftfoot Boots
Lightning Greaves
Rhystic Study
Drain Power
Spellbook
Library of Leng
Copy Enchantment
Wild Research
Venser, the Sojourner
Proteus Staff
Pithing Needle
Darksteel Ingot
Chromatic Lantern
Boros Signet
Izzet Signet
Azorius Signet
Boros Charm
Izzet Charm
Impulsive Maneuvers
Brainstorm
Ponder 

Win-cons
Laboratory Maniac - er..usually this is comboed out with something like enter the infinite.  How were you planning to get this gamestate?
Felidar Sovereign - think you are going to need more lifegain to make this possible - boon reflection or rhox faithmender might help, but I wouldn't count on zed for all your lifegain.  perhaps true conviction or celestial mantle
Psychosis Crawler - you would need some huge card draw for this, which I don't see in your deck.  Again enter the infinite or some infinate card draw combo.

Land
Command Tower
Skycloud Expanse
Izzet Guildgate
Boros Guildgate
Azorius Guildgate
Steam Vents
Sacred Foundry
Hallowed Fountain
Vivid Crag - replace one or two of the vivids with city of brass or something that does not come into play tapped
Vivid Meadow
Vivid Creek
Reliquary Tower
Kher Keep
Homeward Path
Tolaria West
Mountain
Plains
Island 

(Currently unsure of the breakdown of Basic Lands)

Things I would recommend:

silent arbiter
solemn simulacrum
story circle
ivory mask
meekstone
loxodon gatekeeper
stasis
solitary confinement
force bubble
wear // tear or other enchantment hate.  aura shards wrecks this deck.
I am sure I am missing a bunch more.
I run a more chaotic based version of Zed.  you can check it out here
You are at 109 cards here before basic lands. Here is what I would remove to start:

Creatures
Zedruu the Greathearted
Courtly Provocateur - remove - not sure what your plan was with this  The deck is for multiplayer.  It basically lets me slam my opponents into each other and goes toward the "screw with everyone" motif.

Consecrated Sphinx
Viashino Heretic
Wall of Denial
Windborn Muse
Jhoira of the Ghitu - remove - seems out of place in this deck  I see where you're coming from, but since I have a lot of high CMC cards and this is a stall-y deck, I figured it'd let me drop a lot more cards in the end.

Cathedral Membrane -remove - there are better walls wall of reverence, wall of nets, wall of omens etc  I'm digging Wall of Omens.  Though Membrane is still a 1-2 drop, which I'm lacking in this deck and it's almost guaranteed to take out an attacker.
Duergar Hedge-mage
Bazaar Trader
Pulsemage Advocate -remove - you are not dependent on your creatures in this, not worth giving them back cards Agreed.
Intrepid Hero
Nin, the Pain Artist
Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Stuffy Doll
Mother of Runes

Alternate Effects as Main Use
Sanctum Plowbeast - remove - you have mana fixing already Agreed
Drift of Phantasms - remove -if you are using this as a cheap tutor, keep in mind it only tutors mana cost 3 not 3 or less I know.  It pulls out a number of key cards though, like Steel Golem, Pyromancer's Swath, Hanna, etc.  If I don't need those, it doubles as a flying blocker.  I would run idyllic tutor or enlightened tutor or auramancer as you will have a lot of enchantments destroyed.  Agreed, though they're a bit pricy for cards not central to the deck.
Simian Spirit Guide -remove - not sure this helps you much.  I would run lotus petal instead. at least it gives you one of any color.  Agreed

Donate and Shenanigans
Steel Golem
Ivory Gargoyle -remove - too pricey and not a huge drawback Agreed
Molten Firebird - remove -too pricey and not a huge drawback Agreed
Illusions of Grandeur
Planar Chaos
Grip of Chaos
Pyromancer’s Swath
Cultural Exchange
Political Trickery
Celestial Dawn 

Kismet
Blind Obedience
Righteous Aura
Crawlspace
Propaganda
Ghostly Prison
Greater Auramancy
Thought Lash - remove - you may mill an essential card just to prevent 1 damage... This was meant to combo with Laboratory Maniac.  Edit: didn't see the exile your entire library part if you fail to pay the CU.  deleting both now. Edit2:Apparently I can chain Zedruu to the exile everything effect and mill out my opponent's library.  Lash is back in.
Norn's Annex
Sphere of Safety
Lightmine Field
Leyline of Anticipation
Witchbane Orb
Karmic Justice
Collective Restraint
Delaying Shield
Cloud Cover
Pariah
Luminarch Ascention 

Removal
Impending Disaster -remove - you need your lands - run targeted removal if you need to Agreed.  I was iffy on it, but I was considering it mainly because I think I'd recoup on the mana destruction faster than my opponents because of Zed, especially when most of the people in my play group end up ramping early on.
Supreme Verdict
Phyrexian Rebirth
Blasphemous Act
Austere Command
Forbid
Counterspell
Cancel
Arcane Denial
Mana Leak
Dream Fracture - remove - I don't think you need all these counterspells.  I would run some bounce in place of this one.
Muddle the Mixture
Counterflux
Temporal Isolation -remove -I don't like one off enchant effects.  just add removal swords to plowshares or oblation It comes down to the budget problem again.  :/
Arrest - remove Agreed
Oblivion Ring
Detention Sphere
Hinder -remove - don't think you need it, and also there are better counterspells Agreed.  Replacing with Cyclonic Rift

Misc.
Howling Mine
Sphere of the Suns
Swiftfoot Boots
Lightning Greaves
Rhystic Study
Drain Power
Spellbook
Library of Leng
Copy Enchantment
Wild Research
Venser, the Sojourner
Proteus Staff
Pithing Needle
Darksteel Ingot
Chromatic Lantern
Boros Signet
Izzet Signet
Azorius Signet
Boros Charm
Izzet Charm
Impulsive Maneuvers
Brainstorm
Ponder 

Win-cons
Laboratory Maniac - er..usually this is comboed out with something like enter the infinite.  How were you planning to get this gamestate?
Felidar Sovereign - think you are going to need more lifegain to make this possible - boon reflection or rhox faithmender might help, but I wouldn't count on zed for all your lifegain.  perhaps true conviction or celestial mantle  From where the deck stands, Zed should give me enough lifegain for Soverign, but I agree I should look into additional options.
Psychosis Crawler - you would need some huge card draw for this, which I don't see in your deck.  Again enter the infinite or some infinate card draw combo. Enter costs far too much mana to play effectively in this deck, especially for a combo that I can't tutor out reliably.  Crawler can do some damage in his own right with Zed.  

Land
Command Tower
Skycloud Expanse
Izzet Guildgate
Boros Guildgate
Azorius Guildgate
Steam Vents
Sacred Foundry
Hallowed Fountain
Vivid Crag - replace one or two of the vivids with city of brass or something that does not come into play tapped
Adding Grand Coliseum
Vivid Meadow
Vivid Creek
Reliquary Tower
Kher Keep
Homeward Path
Tolaria West
Mountain
Plains
Island 

(Currently unsure of the breakdown of Basic Lands)

Things I would recommend:

silent arbiter Adding it
solemn simulacrum Sad robot is definitely an EDH staple, but I'm still trying to get rid of cards!
story circle
ivory mask
meekstone
loxodon gatekeeper
stasis Strongly considering
solitary confinement
force bubble
wear // tear or other enchantment hate.  aura shards wrecks this deck. Fortunately, no one in my playgroup uses Aura Shards, though there is a Sliver deck with Harmonic Sliver to worry about.
I am sure I am missing a bunch more.
I run a more chaotic based version of Zed.  you can check it out here

Thank you!  I really appreciate the suggestions.
I've been kicking around an idea for Goat Voltron using Auras.
1) Cast Goat.
2) Cast Aura.
3) Donate Aura. It's still on the Goat.
4) Attack ftw!

It seems too easy....why have I not seen this deck before?

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I've been kicking around an idea for Goat Voltron using Auras.
1) Cast Goat.
2) Cast Aura.
3) Donate Aura. It's still on the Goat.
4) Attack ftw!

It seems too easy....why have I not seen this deck before?

Because Rafiq of the Many does it better.
Planar Chaos isn't that good.  I would drop it.
Norn's Annex isn't a very good taxing card.  The mana taxes that you have are better.
Thought Lash is a good card and makes for a nasty donate target.  I don't think you should remove it just yet.
As a land, Rainbow Vale makes for an interesting option.
Delusions of Mediocrity isn't as good as Illusions of Grandeur, but it still works for shenanigans.
Planar Chaos isn't that good.  I would drop it. I like it because of the shenanigans it causes.  This deck is meant to be board disrupting and chaotic more than anything.  
Norn's Annex isn't a very good taxing card.  The mana taxes that you have are better. Though if I'm not playing against a white deck, it's significant life drain for a deck that doesn't have much offense otherwise.
Thought Lash is a good card and makes for a nasty donate target.  I don't think you should remove it just yet.True, though there are some other donate cards that might be more effective like Rust Elemental.
As a land, Rainbow Vale makes for an interesting option. Y'know, I have this card already and didn't even think about it.  What about Contested War Zone?
Delusions of Mediocrity isn't as good as Illusions of Grandeur, but it still works for shenanigans. I specifically kept it out because its second effect is basically useless since I don't have much enchantment destruction, but the first part might make it worth it.  It'd probably fight for a spot with Sphere of the Suns

Delusions of Mediocrity isn't as good as Illusions of Grandeur, but it still works for shenanigans. I specifically kept it out because its second effect is basically useless since I don't have much enchantment destruction, but the first part might make it worth it.  It'd probably fight for a spot with Sphere of the Suns

you can run something like capsize and repeat.  Why destroy when you can reuse 8^).  This is also not bad with the conjured currency

you can run something like capsize and repeat.  Why destroy when you can reuse 8^).  This is also not bad with the conjured currency

I wasn't too big on Capsize or Conjured Currency.  Is there anything you think I should take out?
Why doesn't this deck have the red, white and blue vows?
Why doesn't this deck have the red, white and blue vows?

There are far better 3CMC cards than the Vows to keep my opponent from attacking me and the fact that it both needs a creature to attach onto and leaves play when the creature is destroyed makes it overall inferior to things like Propaganda.
War tax is evil and fair since you need to put the mana in first.

@Portalis- Transcendence is tricky to pull off but can be a hilarious one shot K.O. I tried runing it, but Zedruu's lifegain threatend to kill me.
@urplebackpack- The vows are a huge nombo with Zedruu. You're better off with a Pacifism you can donate for profit or just plain better cards.
To get more out of Zedruu you could include Switcheroo, inproving your board position while still getting his ability.

It also might be worth it to put a few extra equipment and aura cards in, I know it seems silly but you can cast an aura on a creature then give control of it to one of your opponents. It's straight board advantage, unless the aura has activatable abilities.

I say equipment because something people often overlook is: if you equip the gear prior to donating it, it STAYS on the equipped creature untill your opponent pays the equip cost. Granted, it's not something you want to do very often, but it's another way to force control shenanigans.
To get more out of Zedruu you could include Switcheroo, inproving your board position while still getting his ability.

It also might be worth it to put a few extra equipment and aura cards in, I know it seems silly but you can cast an aura on a creature then give control of it to one of your opponents. It's straight board advantage, unless the aura has activatable abilities.

I say equipment because something people often overlook is: if you equip the gear prior to donating it, it STAYS on the equipped creature untill your opponent pays the equip cost. Granted, it's not something you want to do very often, but it's another way to force control shenanigans.

Any suggestions on what I should take out?
After a quick scan I'd remove:
1x  Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
1x Grand Arbiter Augustin IV -Not that many UW cards and your cmc's aren't very high. Also he draws hate.
1x Primordial Ooze - It's too easy for oppnents to get rid of and takes too long to do damage. Might work if you pay to power it up before donating, but with Zedruu's cosntant draw you probably have better things to do with your mana.
1x  Homeward Path - I don't know why you would run this.
You could probably stand to lose a few of your defensive enchantments too. THey're important, but 14 is a bit much.
I would cut at least one of the following:
Delaying Shield - Never mind saw the combo.
Greater Auramancy - Stops you from donating your enchantments. Rely on Karmic Justice instead.
Sphere of Safety - Since you'll want toe donate most of your enchanments anyways this might not scale as well as you hope. It costs almost twice as much as Propaganda
Witchbane Orb -Depends on how often you're targeted I guess, but your general already puts you out of burn range. There are still other things to look out for, but is it worth the card?
After a quick scan I'd remove:
1x  Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer
1x Grand Arbiter Augustin IV -Not that many UW cards and your cmc's aren't very high. Also he draws hate.
1x Primordial Ooze - It's too easy for oppnents to get rid of and takes too long to do damage. Might work if you pay to power it up before donating, but with Zedruu's cosntant draw you probably have better things to do with your mana.
1x  Homeward Path - I don't know why you would run this.

I know I should probably get rid of Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer, but I just love it so much haha and I do like the way Grand Arbiter Augustin IV interacts with the deck.  I'll playtest him and see how much hate he draws.  

Is there anything that donates better than Primordial Ooze that I don't already have in here?  It doesn't seem like MTG has a Lava Golem card.

Homeward Path is to retrieve my donated things from players about to lose so I can reuse them on other players.  It also fits the political aspect. 

You could probably stand to lose a few of your defensive enchantments too. THey're important, but 14 is a bit much.
I would cut at least one of the following:
Delaying Shield - Never mind saw the combo.
Greater Auramancy - Stops you from donating your enchantments. Rely on Karmic Justice instead.
Sphere of Safety - Since you'll want toe donate most of your enchanments anyways this might not scale as well as you hope. It costs almost twice as much as Propaganda
Witchbane Orb -Depends on how often you're targeted I guess, but your general already puts you out of burn range. There are still other things to look out for, but is it worth the card?

I agree with you on Greater Auramancy, but I'm not sure how else to handle Aura Shards.  And Witchbane Orb was in there mainly to combo with Grip of Chaos, which I've since taken out.

I do like Sphere of Safety, especially since the deck is enchantment heavy.  If I do need to cut it, I'd probably put Kismet or Norn's Annex back in.

@urplebackpack- The vows are a huge nombo with Zedruu. You're better off with a Pacifism you can donate for profit or just plain better cards.

This isn't true. 

A vow can be placed on a troublesome creature so that it can't attack you, which offers a benefit without Zedruu on the table.

Or with Zedruu you can enchant Zedruu and donate the Vow. You can't attack that player with your commander, but thats rarely the intent with Zedruu anyway. Instead your commander is bigger for blocking or if needed attacking a different player at the table. And all the while you draw cards and gain life.

Of course, I don't think aura's are the way to go with zedruu at all. Rather, I would go the route of general enchantments that affect the board and don't care who controls them. 

3DH4LIF3

This isn't true. 

A vow can be placed on a troublesome creature so that it can't attack you, which offers a benefit without Zedruu on the table.

Or with Zedruu you can enchant Zedruu and donate the Vow. You can't attack that player with your commander, but thats rarely the intent with Zedruu anyway. Instead your commander is bigger for blocking or if needed attacking a different player at the table. And all the while you draw cards and gain life.

Of course, I don't think aura's are the way to go with zedruu at all. Rather, I would go the route of general enchantments that affect the board and don't care who controls them. 

But even if you wanted to enchant Zedruu to pump him up why would you use the vows? There are other auras you could put on him that don't prevent you from attacking a player if you donate them.
Hmmmm.... looking at your list, I'd consider dropping a few of your delaying tactics. You have a few good ones like Propaganda and Ghostly Prison, I'm not sure you'll need lightmine field (Which will do very little when they have to swing with a small number of HUGE creatures) or Delaying Shield, which only puts you further behind in most cases and is redundant compared to something like Rightous Aura. I'm also on the fence about Pariah, it's a nice card but if you're taking damage either A) You're big blockers have been removed or B) Your opponent is COMPLETELY bypassing your defenses. Either way, unless it's on Stuffy doll you have much bigger issues.

You seem to have a fair amount of control and preventitive magic, which will keep you alive, but with so many defender/control creatures I expect you'll have serious problems during the end game. I'd consider removing Meddling Mage, which MAY stop one bomb in an opponent's deck, Courtly Provocateur, which is just doubling for control you already have, Bazaar trader, which doubles for Zedruu but is useless when she's not on the table anyways, and probably even drift of phantasms, you have a lot of defenders.

Put in a few creatures that can actually establish a board position in late game. Luminate Primordial might be a good choice, it's a swords to plowshears against all your opponents attached to a large vigillant creature. Isperia, Lavinia, and a few of the other Azorious cards from the Return cycle are all good choices too.

One last card you may want to consider is Dissipation Field. Considering your decklist... read it, love it.
Hmmmm.... looking at your list, I'd consider dropping a few of your delaying tactics. You have a few good ones like Propaganda and Ghostly Prison, I'm not sure you'll need lightmine field (Which will do very little when they have to swing with a small number of HUGE creatures) or Delaying Shield, which only puts you further behind in most cases and is redundant compared to something like Rightous Aura. I'm also on the fence about Pariah, it's a nice card but if you're taking damage either A) You're big blockers have been removed or B) Your opponent is COMPLETELY bypassing your defenses. Either way, unless it's on Stuffy doll you have much bigger issues.

You seem to have a fair amount of control and preventitive magic, which will keep you alive, but with so many defender/control creatures I expect you'll have serious problems during the end game. I'd consider removing Meddling Mage, which MAY stop one bomb in an opponent's deck, Courtly Provocateur, which is just doubling for control you already have, Bazaar trader, which doubles for Zedruu but is useless when she's not on the table anyways, and probably even drift of phantasms, you have a lot of defenders.

Put in a few creatures that can actually establish a board position in late game. Luminate Primordial might be a good choice, it's a swords to plowshears against all your opponents attached to a large vigillant creature. Isperia, Lavinia, and a few of the other Azorious cards from the Return cycle are all good choices too.

One last card you may want to consider is Dissipation Field. Considering your decklist... read it, love it.

Delaying Shield actually acts twofold.  It turns what would be commander damage into regular damage, so even if I get smacked by a Voltron commander, it won't kill me.  Second, I can donate the shield to an opponent that doesn't use white mana or doesn't have enough mana and essentially redirect all the damage that would have been dealt to me.

Lightmine Field is meant to dissuade early aggro-style tactics before I set up my other enchantments.   

Pariah works both with Stuffy Doll and it lets me enchant my opponents' creatures/commander, basically turning it into a Pacifism or enabling a political gang-up against the player with the best board position.

Meddling Mage stops commanders from being played and I can flicker her for repeat fun, basically treating her as another Pithing Needle.  Also, she stops Aura Shards, which completely destroys my deck otherwise.

The problem with Dissipation Field is that it seems good, but it ultumately isn't.  They still get the damage through.  I can't have that.  In the event that it happens, I need to kill their creature, not bounce it back to their hand.  Plus, with so much flicker abuse, I might be helping them with their Restoration Angel.  Or they might use it to get rid of the Steel Golem I so graciously gave to them.