YMTC Idol 11: Audition Round

368 posts / 0 new
Last post

Welcome to the eleventh year of YMTC Idol!

Idol is the longest-running and most esteemed contest on the You Make The Card boards, and I'm proud to be able to host it this year. Before getting underway, two special thanks are in order - to Rush_Clasic, who has chosen to pass on the torch after hosting the past three fantastic competitions, and to SimonGlume, who has put his considerable artistic talent to work creating our deliriously magnificent new contest banner. It's a surrealist masterpiece that can only hint at the glorious madness we're about to witness.

Last year saw 39 competitors grab a guitar and rise to the challenge, and one miserable wretch managed to survive the resulting fracas. Will you be the next to stagger away from the concert hall, dazed and bleeding from the ears but somehow victorious? It's the first time in many years that an Idol contest has been run alongside an official You Make The Card competition, so maybe this competition will reveal some fierce new competition on the circuit...

How It Works:

Following an initial audition round, there will be ten rounds to separate the wheat from the chaff, eliminating contestants until a single player is left victorious. Each round's criteria will be assigned by the host (myself), and the submissions will be examined by a panel of judges. In the audition round, the entries will be ranked by each judge independently and the averages will be used to determine who makes it to the next round. The number of people who make it into the main contest will depend on the total number of entrants.

Later on, after the contestants have been whittled down to ten, the audience will be able to participate by voting for their least favourite entry among the judges' nominees. Players will also have the ability to request and receive constructive criticism from the judges. There are three judges for the contest each year , and according to tradition they are all past Idol winners. From a great tradition including Noddegamra, Dream_Spinner, zammm, Q_is_564453, ObsidianDice and Mown, I present (in counter-chronological order):

Kavu_Overlord, winner of YMTC Idol 8!
Rumor, winner of YMTC Idol 3!
and Ephemeron, winner of YMTC Idol 1!

Audition Criteria:

Many different types of counter have been created for Magic. Some, like +1/+1 counters, charge counters and now loyalty counters, are an ever-present part of the design world. Others, like poison counters, time counters, and quest counters, are featured heavily in a single block or set as part of its themes. Yet many types have only appeared once or twice in the game's history. Whether to reinforce the idea behind a top-down design, to add some flavourful spice to a mechanic, or simply because strange counters are fun, we've seen a huge gamut of weird counters over the years. In fact, you can find a comprehensive index right here. But it takes more than just a cute concept to make a card worthy of being on that list - a great design should take that unusual flavour and make it feel both intrinsic and essential to the play of the card.

Assignment:
Create a card which involves a kind of counter rarely used in Magic.

You have approximately one week (until 11:59 PM on Sunday, May 5) to submit an audition card.
Awesome. To be clear, we have to use an existing kind of counter?
Meh heh heh.  

Let the games begin!  May the odds be ever in your favor!  You are not prepared!  (and other random phrases)
Time for me to win this for once.
Awesome. To be clear, we have to use an existing kind of counter?

Yes. One that has been used before, but not very many times.
Chandra's Roar
Enchantment
~ enters the battlefield with one scream counter on it. At the beginning end of turn deal damage to target creature equal to the number of scream counters on ~, then put a scream counter on ~. If opponent has no creatures you may deal damage to the player instead.
"You'll never silence my cry for freedom!"
@Detektor: Most of the counters do nothing but give you a word to play with, but okay, thanks.
Game of Fate |
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, put a luck counter on target permanent chosen at random. Then, if that permanent has two or more luck counters on it, its controller loses the game.
Lady Luck is a fickle mistress.

Old Entry
Blood Pact |
Enchantment
Whenever a player sacrifices a creature, put a blood counter on ~.
When ~ has seven or more blood counters on it, sacrifice it. If you do, put a 7/7 black Demon creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
This is my year!

Stoic Researchers

Creature -- Vedalken Wizard
When Stoic Researchers enters the battlefield, put a study counter on target creature.
Whenever Stoic Researchers blocks or becomes blocked a creature with a study counter on it, draw a card.
"Only a vedalken carries a quill and paper to war." —Rennalt the Cynic
1/3

Or maybe it's not. I don't even know.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I wish I hadn't given the forums up during the change-over. Top four and I lose without even submitting. NOT THIS YEAR.
Aw, yeah! Is it time for the young Pablo yearling to finally spread his magical wings and fly on to horizons of Card-Making bliss? Will this year's Idol be taken by the surprisingly clever YMtC Wunderkind? Is it possible for people to refer to me as the YMtC Wunderkind from now on? Design to come soon my adoring fans. Hold your horses, or your beautiful unicorns, as the case may be.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Kavu_Overlord, winner of YMTC Idol 8!
Rumor, winner of YMTC Idol 3!
and Ephemeron, winner of YMTC Idol 1!

One of these things feels underqualified and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

It took me a solid five minutes of wondering why there was a music motif before I got it.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Also, there's always something new to love about MTGS:

List of all counters in Magic through Magic 2013
Universal Codex -- 
Artifact
At the beginning of the end step of every seventh turn or when Universal Codex enters the battlefield, put an eon counter on Universal Codex.
Each spell costs  more to cast for each eon counter on Universal Codex.
Every day a step towards death. Every death a step towards silence.

Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
I like to may joke cards just like this one.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Wisdom of Pendelhaven
Enchantment
When Wisdom of Pendelhaven enters the battlefield put a +1/+2 counter on target creature.
Creatures with counters are 1/1.
Rooted in ideals, its canopy is a refuge for the meek.

I will not be tinkering with my entry.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

I already linked to that page in the criteria...
Works Of Progress! Rejoice Proletariat!

Sacrificial Hero
Creature - Human Warrior
When Sacrificial Hero enters the battlefield, target opponent puts between one and three Doom counters on permanents he or she controls. (The opponent chooses the number of counters.)
Permanents with Doom counters on them are indestructible.
At the beginning of each endstep, if there are no Doom counters on the battlefield, sacrifice Sacrificial Hero.

4/6

Submission:

Pitch Figmentation
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
When Pitch Figmentation leaves the battlefield, put a dream counter on each creature on the battlefield.
As long as Pitch Figment is in a graveyard, creatures with dream counters on them have Shadow.

What dream is this, from which I cannot escape? Why do my enemies tred this oneiric soil? I fear these celestial lessons will end not in wisdom, but in death.

Flowstone Age
Enchantment
When Flowstone Age enters the battlefield, put seven Despair Counters on target creature you control and seven Hope Counters on another target creature you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep remove a counter from a permanent you control.
Creatures you control get +1/-1 for each Despair Counter on the battlefield.
Creatures you control get -1/+1 for each Hope Counter on the battlefield.

Design Notes: 

Look at that. Design notes. Ha! Anyway, Sacrificial Hero is fairly straight forward. He is doomed from the start. Flowstone Age is obviously too clever for its own good. Considered colorless enchantment, but decided a more traditional approach couldn't hurt. Pitch Figment is a reference to Jungian Dream Archetypes - which, although I find them to be dumb for the most part, do allow for some resonant flavorings if used correctly. That is why this card is my current submission, although Flowstone Age is a close second. If I could condense the text on FA it might be my choice. These designs are to be honed to perfection, although there is a chance that I shan't be able to make them better than they already are, which is maybe okay, since they are so flippin' great!

Edited.

Perfected.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I was about to ask for that so you'd tell me to check the op again.
Surgical Blindness
Enchantment 
Creatures with less than two eyeball counters can't attack you or a planeswalker you control.
Each creature your opponents control has " Put an eyeball counter on this creature."

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

I already linked to that page in the criteria...

I'm so bad at the writtern word, it's a wonder how I'll even finish this sen
Buttstice -- 
Enchantment
At the beginning of each upkeep, put a booty counter on each creature without summoning sickness.
Whenever a creature deals damage to you, tap it for each booty counter on it.

Universal Codex -- 
Artifact
At the beginning of the end step of every seventh turn or when Universal Codex enters the battlefield, put an eon counter on Universal Codex.
Each spell costs more to cast for each eon counter on Universal Codex.
Every day a step towards death. Every death a step towards silence.
Real men press caps.
I'm protesting this on the grounds that it's being run by an impostor

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
EDIT: I don't expect to tinker with this any more (maybe after this round, to integrate it into a set, but that's about it). Feel free to judge it as it stands here:

Okay, so I figure using a card that I'd already made kind of defeats the purpose of Idol. So let's go with a different tactic - the lovely world of pronouncing words differently. Specifically the "wind" counters from Freyalise's Winds. Which I am choosing to pronounce as "wind" as in to wind something up, such as, for instance, a pocketwatch:

Arcane Pocketwatch
Artifact R
: Put a wind counter on Arcane Pocketwatch.
, , Remove a wind counter from Arcane Pocketwatch: Creatures gain haste until end of turn.
, , Remove six wind counters from Arcane Pocketwatch: Take an extra turn after this one.
, , Remove twelve wind counters from Arcane Pocketwatch: Restart the game leaving up to three target permanents on the battlefield.

Previous attempt
I might come up with something more poignant for this later, but I've been working on a set for a while that uses the currency counters from Trade Caravan as a resource, with Merchants that generate currency and basically use it in place of tapping for activated abilities, Mercenaries that give a one time counter but that have abilities that only need a single counter to activate, and Pirates that steal currency and tax opponents using it. I figured this was the best representation of the system as a whole:

Back Alley Recruiter
Creature - Human Merchant U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a currency counter on target land.
IMAGE(http://www.majhost.com/gallery/elzaban/DnD/mana_c.png)IMAGE(http://www.majhost.com/gallery/elzaban/DnD/mana_c.png): Search your library for a Mercenary creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. (Pay IMAGE(http://www.majhost.com/gallery/elzaban/DnD/mana_c.png) by removing a currency counter from a permanent you control.)
0/1
Doomed Existence   
Enchantment
When Doomed Existence enters the battlefield, each player gains a doom counter.
At the beginning of your end step, if you have a doom counter and no cards in your hand, you lose the game.
Discard a card: Target player gains control of Doomed Existence .

Done?
FlavorFix
Artifact
Whenever a cyclops you control dies, remove an eyeball counter from Jar of Eyeballs.
WHenever an insect you control dies, and four eyeball counters to jar of eyeballs.
"It isn't perfect, but it is a start." - Vorthos Resurgent.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Duergar Vein Seeker
Creature - Dwarf (R)
, : Duergar Vein Seeker gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
, : Put a gold counter on target mountain.
Whenever a mountain is tapped for mana, its controller adds to his or her mana pool as long as it has a gold counter on it (in addition to the mana the land produces).
Duergars find gold to be a precious metal.
2/2

Finalized.
Soul of the Forest
Legendary Creature -- Elk Spirit

Whenever ~ attacks, put a hoofprint counter on target land defending player controls without a hoofprint counter on it.
Lands with hoofprint counters on them have ": Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

So full of life, the world blooms around him.

4/4

Why yes, I have been watching Princess Mononoke!

[sblock graveyard of discarded ideas]
Fixed Game 
Enchantment

If you would clash with a player, instead scry X, then clash with that player. X is the number of luck counters on ~.
Whenever you win a clash, put a luck counter on ~.

The wise make their own luck.
[/sblock]

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Grim Visions
Enchantment
Whenever a creature dies, put an omen counter on Grim Visions.
Remove thirteen omen counters from Grim Visions: Search your library for any number of Horror creature cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Lyala ignored the dreams at first. But each day, the war’s atrocities grew closer to the images in her mind.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun.

Soporific Torpor |
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a dream counter on Soporific Torpor.
At the beginning of your end step, each player draws a card for each dream counter on Soporific Torpor, then shuffles that many cards into their library.
An eternity of inspiration helps not those who never wake.

This thing never comes quite at the right time. I don't feel on form enough to win this year, but damned if it's not Idol and I won't try. Also, obligatory 'Curse you Kavu' and also a promise that I won't merge myself with anyone this year.
Dun dun duuuuuuuuuun.

Soporific Torpor |
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a dream counter on Soporific Torpor.
At the beginning of your end step, each player draws a card for each dream counter on Soporific Torpor, then shuffles that many cards into their library.
An eternity of inspiration helps not those who never wake.

This thing never comes quite at the right time. I don't feel on form enough to win this year, but damned if it's not Idol and I won't try. Also, obligatory 'Curse you Kavu' and also a promise that I won't merge myself with anyone this year.

That entire snafu did come from Idol didn't it?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Bind to the Æther
Instant (M)
Exile target spell. Put an echo counter on it. As long as it has an echo counter on it, it has "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may cast a copy of this spell without paying its mana cost."
The Selesnyan soldiers were certain the Izzet were to blame when lightning struck again at precisely the same time it had the previous day.

Old submissions
Command
Sorcery
Untap target creature. It gets gains haste until end of turn.
Fuse
¯_¯_¯_
Conquer
Sorcery
Put a theft counter on target creature. You control it as long as it has a theft counter on it.
Fuse

Æther Echo
Instant
Put an echo counter on target permanent. As long as that permanent has an echo counter on it, it has "Whenever another one of this permanent's triggered abilities is triggered, trigger it an additional time for each echo counter on this permanent."
"The æther flows are whimsicle today."
–Shanti, highwind sorceress

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

I know Zammm doesn't really come to this part of the forum, but I really want him to merge with Shazzeh.

139359831 wrote:
[i] promise that I won't merge myself with anyone this year.

Don't make promises you can't keep.

Also, that would be good flavour text for something. 
I suggest giving this round your best shot. You won't get a second one.
From nothing came teeth.
I know Zammm doesn't really come to this part of the forum, but I really want him to merge with Shazzeh.

Only if there is also a Billy Batson and Captain Marvel MuP pair running around that has to switch everytime Shazzammm posts.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:

YES.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Oh god you just got so sexy Dr Dee

Prophecy of the Stillborn 
Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, it’s controller sacrifices that creature, then put an omen counter on Prophecy of the Stillborn.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Prophecy of the Stillborn has 5 or more omen counters on it, you lose the game.
"Our curse is this land's boon." - Ygritte Redsnow, Blightmage

WIP

Azorious Lobbyists
Creature - Human Advisor 
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a filibuster counter on target nonland permanent. Spells with the same name as a permanent with a filibuster counter on it can't be cast.
1/3

Hand to the Bloodthrone
Creature - Vampire Advisor
Whenever a creature dies, its controller puts a blood counter on target land he or she controls.
Lands with blood counters on them have, ", Pay 1 life: Draw a card." 
2/1