Sealed is hard!

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Especially 3 color sealed.  I might post my pool/deck tonight or tomorrow, but I borked it so bad I doubt it's worth the effort.
I did go 2-2... which isn't that bad except my last match was against an 0-3 guy who tanked at the last second so I could get a pack (he had no chance).  Our decks were very even matched, that is to say, bad.

My pool (Selesnya/Orzov) did have:
Crypt Ghast
Pontiff of Blight
Aetherling
Trostiani's Summoner

My selesnya rare was wild beastmaster... and I think there was a deck that used her but I didn't really have the support for it.
I had very little removal, unless you count 3x Fatal Fumes... which I didn't run.  I had an ultimate price, a soul tithe and a smite.

Basically my big mistake was keeping the Selsnya cards around at all, past maybe a splash for the summoner.  Maybe.
I needed to get the Aetherling in my deck, but I had almost zero blue support.  I should have forced it and filled the gap with some meh white and black cards, dumping the green altogether.  Most of my mid-level support creatures were all green, or worse white/green, of course.

Having a bunch of {W}{G} and not a few {W}{B} cards and even a couple {G}{B} made the mana base very unwieldy.  I had 4 ish gates but didn't use the cluestones (couldn't decide if 1 was worth it and didn't want 2).

Really (this will surprise no one who watches me build pools on the forum) I got pulled in 3 directions synergy wise with the result being that if one game up good I won, but if not I floundered about.   At least in this format you lose slower when you stumble? 
I had some good extorters, I had some OK token generators/populate, and I had some +1/+1 counter shenangigans ... but nothing coherent.   I thought Gateway Shade got +2/+2 for EACH gate that tapped.  So I was vastly overrating that card.   I also thought Centaur's Herald didn't sacrifice and just kept pooping tokens.  Wow, that would be a good card, huh?     I learned both of these after my first game, but I didn't go back and completely rework my deck.

I think I could have gone stally Esper/extort or maybe even aggro weeny. 
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
I realized I wanted to save my failure on the 'puter for posterity.  Or a good laugh when my kid is on the pro tour in 10 years.

Here is what I ran:

First match (0-2) I had all 6 gates and Opal Gatekeepers... which didn't really help.  I replace them with the Roc and some forests.  

Rest of the pool (or an approximation as some of the jetsom from the event got a little mixed up, the total is 71 cards which is pretty close)

Show

[DECK]
// remaining pool

1 drown in filth
3 rakdos drake
1 armory guard
1 maze sentinel
3 fatal fumes
2 jelenn sphinx
1 deputy of acquittals
1 ascended lawmage
1 runner's bane
1 murmuring phantasm
1 opal lake gatekeepers
1 crypt incursion
1 maze abomination
1 riot control
1 mending touch
1 rubbleback rhino
1 gaze of granite
1 aetherling
1 mindstatic
1 contaminated ground
1 slate street ruffian
1 simic cluestone
1 wild beastmaster
1 maw of the obzedat
1 debt to the deathless
1 beckon apparition
2 gruul cluestone
1 boros cluestone
1 selesnya cluestone
1 purge the profane
1 cartel aristocrat
1 guildscorn ward
1 punish the enemy
1 uncovered clues
1 armored transport
1 bred for the hunt

1 dimir guildgate
1 izzet guildgate
1 rakdos guildgate
[/DECK] 

Next I will post the deck I think I SHOULD have made. 
Why not run the Fatal Fumes? Maybe not 3 of them, but 2 seems to be perfectly reasonable removal.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Re: Fatal Fumes.

by the time you have them in hand and 4 mana, there aren't any 2 def creatures of any relevance.   I did have some trouble with 2 drop 1-2 toughness creatures, but by turn 4 or 5 I had answered them.

I guess in the 2nd deck you could take out the mindstatic and runner's bane.  -4/-2 about as good as keep a 3 power tapped.

Other questions... would anyone run _2_ debt to the deathless.   I did use it... but you need about 8-9 mana out to use it as a finisher.   

Oh, and 3 color decks really put a crimp in crypt ghast's style.  Most of the time I had it out I had maybe 1 swamp.

I would be hard-pressed to run 1 debt to the deathless. Maybe in the right deck.

Fumes looks like it will reach its maximum potential as a reverse combat-trick.
It doesn't have to be straight removal though (Although, it does kill a lot of fliers, which is important I find). It also serves as a decent combat trick, often completely reversing a safe block.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Sealed IS hard; especially at the beginning of the format. I consider Dragon maze to be a terrible sealed format as so much of the set is fixing and clumsy creatures. There is little good removal and lots of bombs. I am willing to consider that my opinion might be tainted by two bad prerelease experiences.

In my first prerelease too many people wanted Orzhov, we couldn't move forward so I just asked for whichever guild wasn't being picked (to increase the diversity in the match-ups). I got Rakdos teamed with Boros. My rares was Slaughter Games and Spark Trooper, the trooper is fine but his pack is really weak. My only other on-color rare was the Blood Shriver dude that was never more than a weak bear.

I was lucky to finish 2-2.

The next prerelease I was the first one to sign up for Orzhov (my guild) and we all deck checked and then were RANDOMLY assigned guilds! I protested that I would like to pick my guild as I was the only one from the last tourney that relented on my pick to help the tourney but to no avail.

I got Rakdos/Dimir with ANOTHER Slaughter Games and Whispering Madness as my rares.

I got two shock lands Temple Garden and Steam Vents but my pool was horrid and I really had a terrible experience and dropped at 1-2 as I wasn't having any fun.

I did do some open dueling in Standard and was doing quite well which was a lot of fun. I was running W/B/G Resto,Thrag,Deathrite with good removal.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I would say that Dragon's Maze Sealed is more skill testing than normal because of the sheer complexity of 11 mechanics and 10 color pairings. Dragon's Maze was built to be drafted, you are only really supposed to see one Dragon's Maze pack and then move into the more focused Gatecrash and RtR packs. Having 4 Dragon's Maze packs leads to a lot of chaos to sort through, and unless you have strong guildpacts to provide an anchor, it is easy to get lost.

That said, I had a blast with it, Sealed is very much my element when it comes to limited. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Sealed IS hard; especially at the beginning of the format. I consider Dragon maze to be a terrible sealed format as so much of the set is fixing and clumsy creatures. There is little good removal and lots of bombs. I am willing to consider that my opinion might be tainted by two bad prerelease experiences.

Prerelease is not a typical sealed experience for DGM. The rest of the season, sealed will be 2 packs each RTR, GPT, DGM. That should be much better, precisely for the reasons you mention.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

I know my 1st deck was a dog's breakfast (sadly it took me 10 games to find out).   Is the second one OK?  Good?

I didn't like the looks of Debt to the Deathless... but in a board stall situation it can turn the game around.  It is sort of anti-extort because if you have a pile of extorters you can get the same effect by casting a smite with 9 open mana.   But if there is a top deck or last card in hand it's DttD.

The problem with DttD is that very few games get to the point where you have 10 mana sitting around, and the board is stalled out, and doming someone for 10-12 wins you and game, and a 2/3 flier for 3 (Rakdos Drake) wouldn't have gotten you the same amount of damage six turns ago.  I view DttD as sideboard material only.
You have all that evasion in the second decklist and aren't running Maw of the Obzedat?  

As for DttD, it really depends on the deck you are running.  If you have a few cluestones, or your deck is more defensive, it worked pretty well.  Definitely not an aggro card.  But I got killed by it a couple of times by a deck that could usually cast it at x=5+ because his deck made the board clogged (the only deck I lost to at the midnight prerelease). 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
You have all that evasion in the second decklist and aren't running Maw of the Obzedat?   

What would I be saccing?  Other evaders or extorters?  

If it meant winning that turn, most likely ground extorters followed by the Maw itself.  Creatures like Maw tend to make combat math messy for an opponent and moves your combat into a favorable blocking status vs. one where your opponent is more comfortable.  It also can keep some players out of combat altogether for fear of turning multiple trades into a small creature fogging a large in return for eating several others.  

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
Pondering this a little more, the key is that you can sac all your dudes for +1/+1 counters.  Although I guess you would probably only sac half.
Maw of the Obzedat does not give counters.  It's temporary pump.  However, that ability can be useful in several ways including sacrificing a creature on 'lockdown' (i.e. enchanted by Arrest, Runner's Bane, Paralyzing Grasp or Agoraphobia if they do not have mana to return it.) or saccing a creature that would die to a combat trick anyway.  (Burst of Strength et al).  It's definitely better in heavy combat situations or mass attacks though and it requires a bit of patience to know when and which creature to sac to use it.

191752181 wrote:
I realized I wanted to save my failure on the 'puter for posterity.  Or a good laugh when my kid is on the pro tour in 10 years.

Here is what I ran:

First match (0-2) I had all 6 gates and Opal Gatekeepers... which didn't really help.  I replace them with the Roc and some forests.  

Rest of the pool (or an approximation as some of the jetsom from the event got a little mixed up, the total is 71 cards which is pretty close)

Show

[DECK]
// remaining pool

1 drown in filth
3 rakdos drake
1 armory guard
1 maze sentinel
3 fatal fumes
2 jelenn sphinx
1 deputy of acquittals
1 ascended lawmage
1 runner's bane
1 murmuring phantasm
1 opal lake gatekeepers
1 crypt incursion
1 maze abomination
1 riot control
1 mending touch
1 rubbleback rhino
1 gaze of granite
1 aetherling
1 mindstatic
1 contaminated ground
1 slate street ruffian
1 simic cluestone
1 wild beastmaster
1 maw of the obzedat
1 debt to the deathless
1 beckon apparition
2 gruul cluestone
1 boros cluestone
1 selesnya cluestone
1 purge the profane
1 cartel aristocrat
1 guildscorn ward
1 punish the enemy
1 uncovered clues
1 armored transport
1 bred for the hunt

1 dimir guildgate
1 izzet guildgate
1 rakdos guildgate
[/DECK] 

Next I will post the deck I think I SHOULD have made. 

I definitely would have played gaze of granite and fatal fumes. Gaze can be backbreaking, and most cretures in the format would have 0 or 1 power and 2 or 1 toughness after fatal fumes, so you can block or attack into almost anything.
Sign In to post comments