DLCR: Ascended Lawmage

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other DGM card to rate is...

Ascended Lawmage

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is a beating.  Flying and hexproof are a deadly combination.  This should be a very high pick.  Truthfully I wouldn't be surprised if this was first picked a lot.

Discuss! 
I think you're going much too high for this card. Without a specific plan to enchant it, it is a 3.0 at best.

I suppose I'll split the difference and say 3.5. 
I would initially suspect it's a 3.5 at least, as well.
Limited All-star. Had it in 2 sealed pools, would've picked in draft if I had seen it.
To say an uncommon is a 4.0 is to say its better than many rares. This is true for this card.
Backed up with the right enchantments, it's really good. But the removal in this format is odd, and has a few workarounds for hexproof. Definately playable. I may be wrong but I'd rate it as a 3.0-3.5; if it's in a sealed deck pool and in my colors, it's definately going in.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
This guy is awesome, but there is a lot of Flying and Reach in this block.  Without a toughness pump, he can easily be dealt with.  Still a fairly high pick, and you definitely want him if you're in colors.  
I don't think 4 is to much. There's a lot of aura's and counters in this set. The fact that dragon's maze will be the first booster in the draft format means you can draft them higher if you picked a lawmage.
You guys also thought Aven Fleetwing was a 3.0. How did that work out? Because by the time M12 was done most people realized that Fleetwing was a card to actively avoid unless you had a specific plan to boost the Fleetwing's base PT. The extra 1 power makes this one better, certainly, but a single 2/x on your oppponent's side that can block flyers still takes this out.
You're joking right?

This card is a beating. There are plenty of things to put on this guy and even if you don't, 3 damage in the air is nice.

Cards like Assault Griffin aren't very good but add hexproof and they get A LOT better.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
My theory for Hexproof is that you need the hexproof creature to be the best creature on your board for it to be effective. Otherwise your opponent is better off sending their removal elsewhere, provided they've even drawn it.

The main benefit I see playing the Lawmaker over Assault Griffin is peace of mind. If you use another card to improve it you aren't immediately setting yourself up for a 2 for 1. Or, alternatively, it prevents your opponent from using a Mugging to kill it, if your 3/2 flyer is the best target for Mugging.
You guys also thought Aven Fleetwing was a 3.0. How did that work out? Because by the time M12 was done most people realized that Fleetwing was a card to actively avoid unless you had a specific plan to boost the Fleetwing's base PT. The extra 1 power makes this one better, certainly, but a single 2/x on your oppponent's side that can block flyers still takes this out.

Hexproof is nice with bloodrush and other combat tricks. Not much worrying about getting two-for-oned with Smite or Grisly Spectacle. 3.5 for me.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

This guy plus any decent aura = gg.  

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Yea, I cant see 4.0 for this, and even 3.5 might be too much. A sprite could kill it.

Great with aura's and cyphers though. in a vaccuum, 3.0. As soon as you start to combo it with other things, 3.5, 4.0, etc.
Why wouldn't a 3/2 flyer be one of your better creatures?
Of course hexproof sends removal elsewhere, but if they have removal, they're gonna kill something eventually, it happens.
Can this only be played in a deck without removal? Its not like you can't kill your opponents blockers.
This is a 2-2.5. It's decent but it really needs help from something like Way of the Thief or Madcap Skills to be anything but an okay flier. It trades with almost every real flier in the format.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
This is a 2-2.5. It's decent but it really needs help from something like Way of the Thief or Madcap Skills to be anything but an okay flier. It trades with almost every real flier in the format.

I think 2.0 is a little harsh. Isn't an Assault Griffin already in the 2.5 range?
Can't imagine giving this higher than 3.0, I think more like 2.5, but even Lobster's 2.0 is reasonable.

I think 2.0 is a little harsh. Isn't an Assault Griffin already in the 2.5 range?

No.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I think this card helps cast light on one of the issues with ratings.  Namely, this card will rate differently for pick order vs. performance.  I think that in game, the card runs like a 2.5 - you're going to play the card if you're in the colors, and it will have a solid impact once it hits the battlefield.  However, I think the card should be picked at a 3.0/3.5, because it has big upside.  We draft DGM first, meaning you have three whole packs to find things to make this card go bonkers.  That's a lot of opportunity, and it means the card is worth picking fairly early (I'm thinking in the 3rd to 5th range).  If we drafted in RGD order instead of DGR, the pick rating would much closer reflect the card's actual power level.
I spent more time killing assault griffins with millenial gargoyles and crocanuras than I did with removal, not sure how the hexproof makes this guy bonkers. It's better than assault griffin because of it, but it doesn't get crazy until you start using auras in place of creature/removal slots, which really risks deck consistency.

2.5 seems about right, 3.0 if you get some auras on him. Towering Indrik laughs at this guy. 

I think this card helps cast light on one of the issues with ratings.  Namely, this card will rate differently for pick order vs. performance.  I think that in game, the card runs like a 2.5 - you're going to play the card if you're in the colors, and it will have a solid impact once it hits the battlefield.  However, I think the card should be picked at a 3.0/3.5, because it has big upside.  We draft DGM first, meaning you have three whole packs to find things to make this card go bonkers.  That's a lot of opportunity, and it means the card is worth picking fairly early (I'm thinking in the 3rd to 5th range).  If we drafted in RGD order instead of DGR, the pick rating would much closer reflect the card's actual power level.

This is a great post. Well said.
I agree that this should be drafted a little higher than its ranking might convey because it is in the first pack. Can you imagine it with something like Unflinching Courage? Yum.
For what its worth LSV has this rated at a 3.5

I don't think that's worth much. These threads are good for sparking discussion but a lot of times quality of a card comes from the person using it. A lot of professional players differ in drafting strategies and preferences. While taking LSV's opinion on a card is good it should not be taken at face value. 

I don't think that's worth much. These threads are good for sparking discussion but a lot of times quality of a card comes from the person using it. A lot of professional players differ in drafting strategies and preferences. While taking LSV's opinion on a card is good it should not be taken at face value. 

True but when a high ranked player like LSV rates something quite a bit higher then what the average rating seems to be on here I do think it should be noted.
I agree that this should be drafted a little higher than its ranking might convey because it is in the first pack. Can you imagine it with something like Unflinching Courage? Yum.

Many of us didn't have to "imagine" this as the combo has been running rampant since the prerelease. Just about any aura on this will win the game in limited, especially in the Ravnica evironment.

I think LSV has got this one right 3.5

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Heck even Ethereal Armor on him is really good.

True but when a high ranked player like LSV rates something quite a bit higher then what the average rating seems to be on here I do think it should be noted.

I'm just wary of people seeing that it's LSV and believing it just because of reputation. 
LSV isn't right on the money every time, and I think a .5 difference is entirely reasonably. He's also thinking of what this would do in a particular deck, whereas this forum trends toward rating cards entirely in a vacuum.

Let us consider a DMZ/GTC/RTR draft.

Lawmage is clearly a 3.0+.   If blue or white is looking open, or you have some azorious already, it's a fine pick.  It has the advantage of suggesting obviously aura synergies (which in not specifically noted in our ratings, but for novice drafters like me, I like things that make decisions easier).

It's just as clearly not a 5-class bomb.  I don't even really see it as a 4.5 in a block draft because it seems highly unlikely to be splashed.  Since you are only going to see it in the top half (probably top quarter) of pack 1... you have only picked 3-4 other cards so it's a very speculative spash if you were somehow solidly in 2 other colors.    In fact, since we are very likely to be playing 3-colors, it would almost never be a splash for a _4th_ color.

That was long winded because I don't think there is a good argument to even make it a 4.  It's no Advent of the Wurm or mythic like Deadbridge Chant or one of the solid maze runners.

But 3.5 vs. 3 is very serious decision early in pack 1.  Especially since you won't see many {U}{W} until pack 3.  I think it's a 3.5 almost definitionally, because it will be taken so early in the game.  If it was a DMZx3 draft or sealed in pack 2 or 3 then I think you can call it a 3.

But maybe that's true of all 3.5s?

rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
@zenbits the quality of your analysis is on the rise and I appreciate the effort in deducing this rating.
Isn't a 3.5 by definition a pick 2 with the possibility of being a pick 1? This is not a pick 1 in most packs folks. I'd rather have a boros charm or a ghor-clan rampager or call of the conclave any day.

Isn't a 3.5 by definition a pick 2 with the possibility of being a pick 1? This is not a pick 1 in most packs folks. I'd rather have a boros charm or a ghor-clan rampager or call of the conclave any day.

None of which would be in the same pack as the Lawmage.  Try and use uncommons that people might actually see alongside it, like say Gruul War Chant which I would definitely pick over it.  I agree it's closer to 3 than 3.5

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
@zenbits the quality of your analysis is on the rise and I appreciate the effort in deducing this rating.

Good thing we have a judge to determine posters' worth. 

None of which would be in the same pack as the Lawmage.  Try and use uncommons that people might actually see alongside it, like say Gruul War Chant which I would definitely pick over it.  I agree it's closer to 3 than 3.5

I don't need to compare it to in-set uncommons, I'm comparing it to cards in the block that we've ranked 3.5 previously. This is a block format now. Also, not all limited formats are draft.

I could see this being picked quite high, it wouldnt be difficult to build around it, rubbleback rhinos from rtr, spire tracer and simic charm from gatecrash and then the auras… looks doable and fun.
Okay, how about this:

This card or Punish the Enemy?

This card or Beetleform Mage?

This card or Ubul Sar Gatekeepers?

This card or Korozda Gorgon?

This card or Blaze Commando?
Okay, how about this:

I would only consider taking the Beetleform Mage and then probably not.

Punish the enemy is pretty underwhelming in play.

Gatekeepers aren't very consistent, not even in the same ball park with this card.

LSV isn't right on the money every time, and I think a .5 difference is entirely reasonably. He's also thinking of what this would do in a particular deck, whereas this forum trends toward rating cards entirely in a vacuum.

Isn't this about rating the cards for draft? So probably not a vacuum, but the "normal" draft environment for DGM?

Okay, how about this:

This is very hard to answer. p1p1? This card. Because I like drafting decks this fits into. Maybe I would consider the Mage over this, but not the others. Later, it depends.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

Okay, how about this:

For the record, I take each of these cards over Ascended Lawmage at the moment. Some of them are really close, and might change when I get more experience with the format.
Okay, how about this:

For the record, I take each of these cards over Ascended Lawmage at the moment. Some of them are really close, and might change when I get more experience with the format.

Surprised

Sign In to post comments