Polearm Gamble (a hard thing to understand)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there

I have a question about Polearm Gamble. Does it allow exceptions?
I mean with shifting and forced movements. Normally that won't provoke OA's.  

Thanks in advance,
Kees 
No. Shifting, teleporting or forced movement stilll don't provoke OAs with Polearm Gamble.
Thank you once again Plaguescarred!

No. Shifting, teleporting or forced movement stilll don't provoke OAs with Polearm Gamble.

So, find a way to make it so that enemies cannot shift next to you, cannot teleport next to you, and cannot (or should not) be force moved next to you.   
how do any of those not provoke OA? i recall ages ago that "enter" was a keyword that implied it had to do so willingly--e.g. exempts forced movement--but shifting and teleporting are not exempt, the wording on the feat is very clear--if you are not adjacent, and then enter a square adjacent, the feated character takes an opportunity action to make a melee basic attack against you.

edit: re-reading forced movement, you would still make the OA if a nonadjacent creature moves adjacent to you.

basically this feat modifies the rules the character follows for making opportunity attacks by allowing it to make OAs normally PLUS under the condition that a nonadjacent creature moves adjacent.
No, forced movement rules are quite specific in the RC and PG does not present a specific exception. Also "enter" never had to do with being willing. "Enter" is baked into the definition of all movement "leaves one square to enter another."

The argument for PG working was a lot more complicated in any case and it was never a case of SvG.
how do any of those not provoke OA? i recall ages ago that "enter" was a keyword that implied it had to do so willingly--e.g. exempts forced movement--but shifting and teleporting are not exempt, the wording on the feat is very clear--if you are not adjacent, and then enter a square adjacent, the feated character takes an opportunity action to make a melee basic attack against you.

edit: re-reading forced movement, you would still make the OA if a nonadjacent creature moves adjacent to you.

basically this feat modifies the rules the character follows for making opportunity attacks by allowing it to make OAs normally PLUS under the condition that a nonadjacent creature moves adjacent.

No.  You are confusing 'enter' with 'moves'.  A creature 'moves' willingly (i.e. takes a move action).  A creature can be forced to enter a square unwillingly.

No.  You are confusing 'enter' with 'moves'.  A creature 'moves' willingly (i.e. takes a move action).  A creature can be forced to enter a square unwillingly.

Wrong. It has to say explicitly "moves willingly" to not get triggered by forced movement. Both, "enter" and "move" can be triggered by forced movement.

@Fish_Hat: Polearm Gamble can't be triggered by forced movement, cause 
a) forced movement doesn't trigger OAs.
and
b) you can't make OAs in your turn.
If you can apply forced movement out of turn or your allies apply forced movement on their turns, at least point b) can be neglected. Point a) remains, tho.
Sign In to post comments