Do enchantments & equipment give +1/+1 counters?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For example, the Give portion of Give // Take would put three +1/+1 counters on my Gyre Sage, but does Primal Visitation put three +1/+1 counters on it even though the card does not directly say to do so?

Thanks in advance.
I am Blue/Green
There's an important difference between counters and a static bonus like form Glorious Anthem. Only if an effect actually uses the word "counter" are counters involved. Primal Visitation doesn't give any counters, just a continous bonus that ends when the aura leaves the battlefield.

I'm conducting a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out. We've just openend the third boosters! Your input is always welcome.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

(It will go on for several more weeks, probably until end of July)

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

there is equipment or Auras that give counters, for example Ring of Kalonia or Forced Adaptation, but they will say "counter"
proud member of the 2011 community team
That's what I figured, but some people in my playgroup thought otherwise. Thanks so much for helping clear it up.
I am Blue/Green
Basically the difference is that some effects put a physical thing that then modifies the p/t of the creature independent of the source, and the other effects modify the p/t directly. Some effects can interact with counters, but that doesn't work on the other kind of modifier.

L1 Judge

Basic way of thinking: cards do what is written on it, nothing less, but nothing MORE either. :P

An effect targets if it uses the word target, an effect puts counters on permanents if it uses the word counters.

+1/+1 counters imply a power/toughness boost if they are on a creature but a power/toughness boost does not imply the placement of counters.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Basic way of thinking: cards do what is written on it, nothing less, but nothing MORE either. :P

Rarely true. You should check out how many rules MTG has.
An effect targets if it uses the word target

Or if it's an Aura spell. Or if it has the Equip ability, etc.

Sign In to post comments