Thinking on buying some p9

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unlimited version ovc, But honestly they would be going in my affinity deck, the mox would be replacing the artlands of that color but really its just an affinity deck. Nothing all that to right home about.

What are your thoughts. 
I miss the old days.
do you play alot of vintage? are there players around you that do? these are the questions you need to ask yourself.

I played nothing but Type 1 for years and got back into the game a few years ago, I found that there was no one playing or supporting vintage so I decided to not buy the power again.

if you can afford it and your going to get some fun out of them, then by all means enjoy yourself, if you think your not really going to use them then spend the money on something else.  

If your looking at them as an investment, just remember a card is only worth what someone is going to shell out for it.

cheers.

pS if your going for a full set get Recall first, its the one you'll learn to abuse.        

<----- Loser.

pS if your going for a full set get Recall first, its the one you'll learn to abuse.        

This phrasing is strange.

1) Make blue mana.
2) Cast Recall.

Who needs to "learn" that? O.o

Anyways, I would say it's not really worth it for an Affinity deck that you'll be playing casually. If you aren't playing against other Vintage players, then you're kind of a dick for playing a kitchen-table Affinity deck with Moxen, Recall, and Lotus. That would be almost on the scale of just running 4 Skullclamps and 4 Tolarian Academy. If you are playing other Vintage players, then they should be ok with you running a reasonable number of proxies.

If you think that having them and playing them will be enough enjoyment in and of itself, that sounds like a worthy cause. Magic is all about fun, and nobody can tell you the best way for you to have fun (though everybody tries). What it comnes down to, then, is asking yourself: Am I buying these to put in my Affinity deck, or am I buying these because I will have fun owning and playing them?
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
P9 are a huge investment unless you're playing a lot of vintage.
 Affinity is a cheap deck, and I wouldn't call it that competitive for vintage either. 

......and most vintage meets allow proxies don't they?
 Why not just print out some good looking proxies instead and spend the money on other stuff, like a guitar, a holiday, a motorbike or your partner or whatever else apart from rare cardboard?
A couple of years ago I purchased a Collector's Edition P9 set.  Even though they aren't the "real deal", I was ecstatic to have them.  I felt as though I'd come home.  I only have a couple of people to play Vintage wth, but it was worth it.  I do feel that real P9 cards go for rediculous prices, but if you can afford it, enjoy.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin

This phrasing is strange.

1) Make blue mana.
2) Cast Recall.

Who needs to "learn" that? O.o

Anyways, I would say it's not really worth it for an Affinity deck that you'll be playing casually. If you aren't playing against other Vintage players, then you're kind of a dick for playing a kitchen-table Affinity deck with Moxen, Recall, and Lotus. That would be almost on the scale of just running 4 Skullclamps and 4 Tolarian Academy. If you are playing other Vintage players, then they should be ok with you running a reasonable number of proxies.

If you think that having them and playing them will be enough enjoyment in and of itself, that sounds like a worthy cause. Magic is all about fun, and nobody can tell you the best way for you to have fun (though everybody tries). What it comnes down to, then, is asking yourself: Am I buying these to put in my Affinity deck, or am I buying these because I will have fun owning and playing them?

merchant scroll, regrowth, relearn, reclaim, and it goes on and on. abuse, abuse. Its a build around speed engine. 

<----- Loser.

I plan on playing them, dont care who gets butthurt that I am playing them, I want them to have them and play them cause to me they are mtg at its best.

And  do play 3 skullclamps and at the moment 1 academy.

Not really an investment cause I am not a collector, I play the game.

Like I said they would go in an affinity shell which is nothing to write home about but I am trying to make it stupid fast aggro.dec.
I miss the old days.
I plan on playing them, dont care who gets butthurt that I am playing them, I want them to have them and play them cause to me they are mtg at its best.

Like I said they would go in an affinity shell which is nothing to write home about but I am trying to make it stupid fast aggro.dec.

Then go for it!

Live the dream brother. 

<----- Loser.

Until your friends quit
Until your friends quit

Most of my friends dont play much anymore as it is, I hate this area, ****ing nothing.
I miss the old days.

They are vintage at its most competitive. I don't know if you'd call it Magic at its best. There's a reason why they have their own little name, and why virtually every deck they're legal for has them - they reduce diversity in the game, and isn't deck diversity one of, if not the most popular thing about Magic?

There's only one time you should buy power 9, and one time you should play them - if you play competitive vintage. Otherwise, they're both a huge investment for what could be gained via a proxy, and too powerful for what you're putting them into. Try playing a casual game against a regular Magic player and see if they groan when you play one of them in your casual, I dunno, scarecrow deck. They'll groan, and rightfully so.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I keep thinkin gabout getting the CE pieces and rounding the corners but I will still know its a proxy, I would rather pay 500$ on a fake unlimited and not worry about if its a fake or not.

A proxy does not have that feel ya know?

My opponents groan anyway cause I play with good cards. 
I miss the old days.
Eh..I personally wouldn't care to own them. I'd rather buy other cards, but I play Modern so..but if you really want them..than do it. But, as others said..man..playing with those at the kitchen table...you must be looking for people to try to hate out on your deck.

Oddly enough, you sound like a friend of a friend who is trying to collect the p9 as well. 

Unless you're playing with cards that could have been in the power 9, like Library of Alexandria, Yawgmoth's Will and Bazaar of Baghdad, chances are they aren't groaning nearly as much as when you drop power 9 on them.

If you don't believe how groan-causing they are, grab one of the forbidden programs and start playing casual/fun games with decks that include them. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
20 Black Lotus + 40 Ancestral Recall wins on turn 1.

Unless you're playing with cards that could have been in the power 9, like Library of Alexandria, Yawgmoth's Will and Bazaar of Baghdad, chances are they aren't groaning nearly as much as when you drop power 9 on them.

If you don't believe how groan-causing they are, grab one of the forbidden programs and start playing casual/fun games with decks that include them. 

I usually see a sort of awe, in a "that's a real black lotus?" sort way in the only times (all of 2) I've ever seen someone play power in a casual setting.  I didn't see a lot of groaning.  Honestly, there are more abusive things you can do than even power; sol ring and mana crypt are way worse to face down than Black Lotus or a mox unless its part of a T1 combo deck.  Timetwister isn't even that great unless you're running it unrestricted with enough fast mana to loop infinitely.  

I am less happy when someone tries to proxy power in a casual setting.  If you want to play it, fine as long as you're not just comboing out turn 1, but shell out for it. 
Sign In to post comments