Dragon/Dungeon mags and Backgrounds...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
...were there ever an issue(s) of either that cataloged backgrounds the way that they did Themes? I'm looking for a way to hand a new game group a list of backgrounds (with info) to help them build their characters.

Thanks for any assistance! 
I don't know that they ever compiled a list or anything, there are soooo many backgrounds, but as far as giving players something to look at I always start them with Dragon 366 which has a lot of them, including a couple of the most popular. I think its the biggest collection of backgrounds in one place, so at least its something.
If you're willing to open up the can of worms that is them knowing about the Char-Op forum, there are a few guides there with such information.  In terms of Backgrounds, there are essentially two that are more useful about 2/3 of the time (Auspicious Birth/Born Under a Bad Sign), a few other for corner cases (Gritty Sergeant to grab proficiency in Rapiers, for example), and otherwise they're mostly interchangable, either granting a skill as trainable, adding +2 to a skill you're trained in, or some other minor benefit.  Themes are more varied, and that's where the guides come in.