DC: Benalish Hero

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays random card is...

Benalish Hero

Ok first of all.  Yes banding is a confusing ability especially for newer players.  That being said this was a very fun ability in limited.  When they had Mirage block up on Magic online I remember having a lot of fun with the banding cards that were in the set.

This isn't a very good card though because there's nothing special about it besides banding.

Thumbs down

Discuss! 
Banding is awesome.  What other 1/1 for 1 can protect you from a Thorn Elemental? or attack alongside Geist of Saint Traft and protect him from G64 saproling blockers?

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

All Hail Banding. Thumbs up.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

I never played with Banding but reading up on it, it seems to be the most overly complex thing they've done.
Edit: I should mention I believe it's too complicated for the minimal effect it seems to have.

Thumbs down.
Todays random card is...

Benalish Hero

Ok first of all.  Yes banding is a confusing ability especially for newer players.  That being said this was a very fun ability in limited.  When they had Mirage block up on Magic online I remember having a lot of fun with the banding cards that were in the set.

This isn't a very good card though because there's nothing special about it besides banding.

Thumbs down

Discuss! 

Abilities that troubled me as a new player:
haunt
split second
banding

abilities that trouble me now:
split second

I like benalish hero. Controling blockers is fun and attackers is fun.
Banding isn't all that complicated -- it's biggest problem is that it's actually two abilities.  The first lets you, rather than the controlling player, divide all combat damage that would be dealt by creatures blocking/blocked by the creature with banding.    The second lets you choose another creature when you declare attackers, and have the banding creature and the chosen creature be both be blocked if either is (including chaining multiple banders together)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D

Ok, when I was 12, TWELVE, I had to read the rulebook ONCE to understand banding.  I 'had to read the rulebook", because I had no idea what it did before I read the rulebook (which used to fit in a Starter Pack...a real Starter pack.)  Its not hard...the controller of the band determines how damage is assigned. The problem with banding is...people don't want to read the rules.  20-5 is intuitive.  "I block with a 3/3 against your 4/3 trampler...wait, I take 1 still right?" is pretty intuitive...beyond that, BOTH players have to have read the rules or a judge needs to be called...poor lazy them...go play the D&D board game...

Thumbs up to Benalish, my original hero, and champion of an undeservedly maligned ability... 
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
It's not so much hard to learn what Banding does, the problem is remembering it because it failed to come up very often. The only reason I can recall what it does as well as I do is because I once had a deck designed around using Icatian Skirmishers, Urza's Engine, and Baton of Moral to create a huge First Strike Band with Trample.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I never said it was impossible to learn; it's just too complicated to bother because a) I don't feel it does enough (though I've never used it or seen it used; this is based on skimming the rules) b) Why bother learning it?  It'll never come up.  Who still plays with Banding anyways?  That would shock me more then seeing a creature with Rampage get played (excluding Teeka's Dragon in my friends EDH artifact deck).
thumbs down because of Banding
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thumb sideways, because while I'd never played the card, I'm amused that Banding is such an archaic ability that the Oracle text for this card includes six lines of reminder text not present on the original =D

I'd actually be interested to see Rampage return, though. I like that ability. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Thumb sideways, because while I'd never played the card, I'm amused that Banding is such an archaic ability that the Oracle text for this card includes six lines of reminder text not present on the original =D

I agree; I'd love to see Rampage return.

<----- Loser.

It already did, in the form of the mechanic found on Gang of Elk. The problem was that Rampage wasn't quite intuitive. As for neo-rampage, it was a beast in limited, but outside of that was never really used.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

It already did, in the form of the mechanic found on Gang of Elk. The problem was that Rampage wasn't quite intuitive. As for neo-rampage, it was a beast in limited, but outside of that was never really used.

What's unintuitive about Rampage? If a creature is gang-blocked, it gets bigger. And I'm not particularly interested in rampage beyond limited or casual (Lure+Rampage, lolol), but I'd still enjoy seeing it come back. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

What's unintuitive about Rampage?

For every creature beyond the first. A lot of people, on the rare occasions when it came up, thought it was every creature, first included. You say bigger when gang-blocked, fine. Most would apply the +X/+X for EVERY blocker. I've seen it. Note the difference between Rampage and Gang of Elk's ability. The Elk's ability is what Rampage should have been.

What's unintuitive about Rampage?

For every creature beyond the first. A lot of people, on the rare occasions when it came up, thought it was every creature, first included. You say bigger when gang-blocked, fine. Most would apply the +X/+X for EVERY blocker. I've seen it. Note the difference between Rampage and Gang of Elk's ability. The Elk's ability is what Rampage should have been.

Agreed.  I never even caught that bit about Rampage.  Ok; I would like the Gang of Elk's ability to come back as a keyword ability.  We could call it, Gangrage..wait..no that's bad, lol.
The other problem with rampage is that it often doesn't do what it advertises. It sounds like "this creature has the potential to become really huge when gang-blocked", but it's usually instead "this creature won't get gang-blocked". That's nice (and Alpha Authority shows that they can do that directly), but the Timmys dreaming of their big creature will be disappointed.
a) I don't feel it does enough (though I've never used it or seen it used; this is based on skimming the rules)

I built an all banding deck -- it was brutal at generating card advantage in combat:  Banding means I could alpha strike with my cheap little creatures and lose at most one.  Not one of my opponent's choice even, the weakest and worst.  And if I have a good toughness to sink damage into (the indespensible Urza's Engine, for instance), I might not even lose any unless my opponent is willing to sacrifice a LOT of blockers to ensure I can't spread the damage around.  At which point see a: I lose the 1-mana benalish hero, the rest of the band lives.

There is a slignt problem in that there are not many good banders, and a lot of design space represented only by Icatian Skirmishers and Urza's Engine in sharing abilities across a band.  But... I don't need that many, just a few efficent weenies that come down early and are obnoxiously hard to kill.

Banding foils trample and supertrample, runs interference, and generates CA-heavy combat phases.  It's a very powerful ability that's easy to underestimate.

Word Tevish.  Banding's only problem was they never fully explored it.  It was a complicated mechanic in the list of mechanics for its age and they let it go, I blame the internet, or maybe google, for not making the info as readily available as info is today...

These days, I don't think its any harder to grasp than Cipher (do I copy the ciphered creature?), Evoke (wait, do I sac it as part of the cost or as a triggered ability?), Suspend on cards with no mana cost (I just put it down and 3 turns later its in right?), or any number of other abilities.

People complain about reminder text too and how long banding's is...well...ok, thats a good point...guess what I didn't have when I started playing though...reminder text...(I know, I'm pouting, there are a lot of abilities and reminder text actually helps a lot, especially with new players)
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1