Alternative Multiclassing Question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let us suppose that I have a fighter who wants to take a wizard power upon reaching second level.  He decides that he likes everyone's favorite wizard spell, Magic Missile.  When he takes the power, as per the rules laid out in Dragon #421, does he get it as an at-will attack power?  He doesn't really care about learning to use implements or anything like that.  He just wants to be able to use MM at a moment when he's not immediately engaged fighting monsters.

Thanks!
As I understand the new alternative rules, it is not possible for the fighter to take Magic Missile at all when he takes the level of Wizard as a secondary class  When you take the secondary class, you can only choose a power of a type you would normally select at that level, so when you take a level of any secondary class, you can't take a 1st level At-Will power, because you wouldn't be able to choose those at any level other than first.

If at 2nd level you take a level of Wizard, you can only choose a 2nd level Utility Power from the Wizard class.  
    If at 3rd level you take a level of Wizard, you can take a 1st or 3rd level Encounter power from the Wizard class.

Show

Under the "What You Gain" section:

Powers:

It you gain a power, you choose it from

among those available to the secondary class for

selection at that level. For instance, a 10th-level

character who takes a level of cleric can choose a

10th-level or lower cleric utility power

Also note that if you're  a Fighter and use the new rules to gain a level of Wizard, you do NOT gain implement proficiency of any sort by taking a secondary class level of Wizard, and need to spend a feat on something that would grant proficiency (like a multiclass feat).  See the "What You Don't Gain" section.

(minor edit above)
For this, you need to use the normal PH1 multiclassing system, not the new alternative system.

In the normal system, if your fighter has INT 13 he is elegible for the feat  Arcane Initatiate (in PH1), the mulitclass wizard feat, which gives you training in Arcana and a first level at-will wizard power (ie Magic Missile) that you can use once per encounter; and you can use wizard implements too.

For this, you need to use the normal PH1 multiclassing system, not the new alternative system.

In the normal system, if your fighter has INT 13 he is elegible for the feat  Arcane Initatiate (in PH1), the mulitclass wizard feat, which gives you training in Arcana and a first level at-will wizard power (ie Magic Missile) that you can use once per encounter; and you can use wizard implements too.

Nothing precludes using both.  A fighter could take Arcane Initiate at second level as well as a Wizard level, so at second level he would gain MM as an Encounter power, the use of wizard implements and a wizard 2nd level utility power instead of a fighter second level utility power.

But there's no way to get Magic Missile as an At-Will power without being wizard at 1st level, and you can't use the new multiclassing to just take an attack power at every level either - the power selected has to be of the type you would normally gain at that level.
You could be a half-elf at paragon.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
So, using the Alternative Multiclassing rules, I could make a Ftr 1/Wiz 10 and still PMC Wizard to get an at-will power swap *and* an implement mastery (level 11 feat requiring PMC Wizard) *and* have a Fighter's full armor and weapon proficiency?

So, for one level, I'm a defender, and then I'm a controller forever after?

EDIT: Actually, since I'm a full Fighter, I can mark anything that I make an attack against, so I can mark with all of those Wizard bursts and blasts *and* still use my Fighter II and OA if something violates my mark.  Hmm.... 

Shame those rules aren't LFR legal.     
So, using the Alternative Multiclassing rules, I could make a Ftr 1/Wiz 10 and still PMC Wizard to get an at-will power swap *and* an implement mastery (level 11 feat requiring PMC Wizard) *and* have a Fighter's full armor and weapon proficiency?

So, for one level, I'm a defender, and then I'm a controller forever after?

EDIT: Actually, since I'm a full Fighter, I can mark anything that I make an attack against, so I can mark with all of those Wizard bursts and blasts *and* still use my Fighter II and OA if something violates my mark.  Hmm.... 

Shame those rules aren't LFR legal.     

Well, from a wizard's point of view you just paid 5 feats, a level 1 at-will attack power, your cantrips, rituals and spellbook feature to gain hide proficiency, 5 extra hit points and the ability to convince the enemy to attack you directly. Also, you gave up on a paragon path. I'm not quite convinced that this was a good trade-off...
Sign In to post comments