Genasi TacLord help

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
So we've reached our first anniversary with our Red Hand of Doom 4e campaign and I'm loosing a little interest in my warlord.  He does his job, he makes sure Team Player wins.  Anything I should be doing better here?

Rest of the Party:
Show

Half-Orc Fullblade charge gear Slayer
Dwarf Crippling Crush Earthstrength Warden
Drow Vampire
Elf Greatbow Ranger

Existing Character:
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Lieutenant Aleks Gravis, level 9
Genasi, Warlord (Marshal)
Build: Tactical Warlord
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Tactical Presence
Elemental Manifestation Option: Causticsoul
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Thay (Thay Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 13, DEX 8, INT 20, WIS 10, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 8, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 11

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Ref: 23 Will: 17
HP: 72 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +11, Endurance +9, Heal +9, History +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +9, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +4, Insight +4, Intimidate +4, Nature +6, Perception +4, Religion +9, Stealth +0, Streetwise +4, Thievery +0

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Genasi Racial Power: Acid Surge
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Warlord Attack 1: Lamb to the Slaughter
Warlord Utility 2: Adaptive Stratagem
Warlord Attack 3: Devastating Offensive
Warlord Attack 5: Scent of Victory
Warlord Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Warlord Attack 7: On My Mark
Warlord Attack 9: Ready the Charge

FEATS
Level 1: Tactical Assault
Level 2: Inspirational Attacker
Level 4: Armor Proficiency: Ring Mail
Level 6: Shield Proficiency: Heavy
Level 8: Master at Arms

ITEMS
Longsword of Defense +1 x1
Circlet of Second Chances x1
Adventurer's Kit
Tactician's Ring Mail +2 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Potion of Healing
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Backlash Tattoo x1
Chieftain's Javelin +1
Potion of Resistance (heroic tier)
Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds
Handy Haversack
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Amulet of Physical Resolve +2 x1
====== End ======

Wishlist:
Show

Level 8
Chieftain's Javelin +2
Jade Horse
Circlet of Indomitability
Level 10
Strikebacks
Helm of Heroes
Level 11
Dice of Auspicious Fortune
Sending Stones
Helm of Vision Unclouded
Level 12
Mantle of the Golden General +3
Gloves of the Healer
Stone of Earth
Did you recreate this thread or did i get reported for my super-constructive comment? :/

Anyway. Basically a standard Taclord, not much to add and i guess that's the reason why nobody answered you till now.
Personally i don't like Scent of Victory, cause it'll be either too situational or overkill and does encourage spreading damage. But level 5 is not that good anyway.
Ready the Charge is a potential 4x-hitter, but rather difficult to set-up effectively. If the Slayer poached Rain of Blows and uses a gouge (what he should do anyway), i'd rather pick Warlord's Recovery instead. The Ranger will get his first triple hitter a bit too late for it, tho.

Edit: You should drop Inspirational Attacker, Shield prof and Mail prof. Also Elven Shirt wouldn't stack with heavy armor (or is Ring Mail light armor? The item says type: chainmail, tho).

Also Elven Shirt wouldn't stack with heavy armor (or is Ring Mail light armor? The item says type: chainmail, tho).

Ring mail is an odd case because it uses the stats of hide, but gets enchants as chain. So, yes, I think that you can use elven chain shirt with it.
Consider Staggering Spin at level 5.  Can generate multiple MBAs - with the Slayer, Warden, and Vampire getting in on the fun.   Most damage I've seen done on one turn in heoric was with this power (barbarian, rogue, ranger).  Can be a bit wonky since the odds will turn up a few misses at times, works even better when paired with Lead the Attack or other TacLord nonsense.
Also Elven Shirt wouldn't stack with heavy armor (or is Ring Mail light armor? The item says type: chainmail, tho).

Ring mail is an odd case because it uses the stats of hide, but gets enchants as chain. So, yes, I think that you can use elven chain shirt with it.

Ye, i guess so, too, although the OC doesn't mention anything in the armor types glossary. I guess it's just a costly way to get heavy armor enchants while staying in light armor, if you absolutely have to.
Tactician's Ring Mail is amazingly good, hardly qualifies as "costly" in the long run.

But otherwise, yeah, he's missing several key feats in favor of unnecessary ones.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Why are you losing interest? Are you finding your turns repetitive? Are you not as effective as you want to be? Are your allies not cooperating as well as you'd like? You have a passable (if not outstanding) TacLord here, but if you're bored with the very concept of a TacLord, just giving you advice at making it more of a TacLord isn't going to be useful to you.
Why I'm losing interest is hard to answer.  Sometimes things go off well, I reorient the access to set the board up the way I want it then hit a daily and everyone gets a whack sets off some great fireworks.  Sometimes moving things around just right with devastating offensive is entertaining.

Other times having the slayer swing for 50 then commanding him to swing again seems a little meh.

I'm trying hard to hold out for all the goodies battle captain will bring to the table.

The feats for bigger heals or higher defenses have been effective at keeping us alive but are there others I should retrain them to that would be more fun?

Staggering spin looks like it'd be very hard to setup correctly.  It hits a NAD so that's nice, it's area which is something we desperately lack, but it seems like it is less focused on ending one threat and more with spreading damage out to two or three creatures (unless there's some opportunity to reorient the party into a horse shoe and push the target into the middle in which case it'd be monstrous).  I tend to save my dailies for dragons or named bad guys with hundreds of HP.  Scent of Blood is really easy to use in a situation like that as by the time the big bad is bloodied all the melee and the animal companion tend to be clustered around it.  It also makes a really good reaction to bloodying something if I haven't had the tactical opportunity to get an action point off yet (due to initiative, strikers being out of reach or having already eliminated their target themselves or with my first granted attack before the action point).

Ready the Charge I've only gotten to use successfully once since I took it.  It's also really hard to set the battlefield up for properly.  It was a spectacular success that one time though.  ^_^  Maybe retraining Warlord's Recovery and just being more consistent instead of constantly trying to setup the grand slam is something I need to change in my playstyle to make my warlord less swingy and more fun every fight instead of really fun every once in a while and pretty dull the rest of the time.
Sounds like your allies need our help more than you do, warlords shouldn't really have time to get bored.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Probably.  But you work with what you can change I guess.

We also have a lot of problems with close burst and close blast abilities as we tend to cluster around one creature at a time until it is down.  While we focus area attackers it's still a lot of damage to keep up with with two piddly Inspiring Words.  There's no miracle cure for that, especially when we are always fighting level +3 encounters, there's problems on both sides of the screen and there's not a whole lot that changes to a couple feats or suggestions for magical items or retrained dailies is going to change.

But I thought I'd ask, anything that helps helps.
Tactician's Ring Mail is amazingly good, hardly qualifies as "costly" in the long run.

But otherwise, yeah, he's missing several key feats in favor of unnecessary ones.

Besides the armor, what upgades would you suggest to a build like LDB's Genasi Novalord?
Sign In to post comments