First prerelease

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey its my first prerelease and its for dragon's maze. what I was wondering was if anyone could explain to me what I should bring and how it works exactly?? Thanks!
Bring about 6 6-sided for counters and such, a notepad to track life and mark down cards an opponent has you might need to play around, bottled water and snacks bc you'll be grinding it out, 40 sleeves for your deck, and a deck box for your sideboard.

When you get to your LGS and the tournament is about to start, they will call your name (based on registration order) and give you the guild pack for the guild you chose, a randomly assigned guild that shares a color, and four DGM booster packs.

Whene everyone in the tournament has their cards, you will be given an hour to deckbuild.

Once this hour is up, your store will announce/post pairings. You will find your opponent, either by seating assignment or by name-pairing, and will sit down across from them. When the round starts, you have an hour to play up to 3 matches to play with your deck, with the match being declared over after a player receives two game-wins or the hour is up.

If you reach time, you have effectively 5.5 turns to end the game. "Turn 0" is the turn in which the judge declared time, the next turn is "turn 1" and the next "turn 2," etc. If both opponents are alive at the end of turn 5 and each opponent has a single win, the match is delcared a draw. If the players reach time and one player has a game-win and one does not, the player with the game win gets the match.

In your matches, it's important to shuffle your opponent's deck before each game, and to sideboard effectively after each game. You can be friendly, but make sure to note that misplays will stay in effect. Don't be afraid to call a judge over if you think something fishy is occurring, like stalling to reach time, misplaying, or even checking the rules text of a card. 

How many players are at the release determines how many rounds you play. I don't know the exact numbers, but I've played as little as 5 and as much as 12. 

Good luck!

EDIT:

Pairings are random at first, then based on match records. Your opponent's match record is important, as it can determine final standings. I've gotten 2nd at a tournament even while going undefeated bc I was paired down once. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Okay thanks for the help any other last minute tips i should get  on anything???
Okay thanks for the help any other last minute tips i should get  on anything???

Honestly? Read your cards. I know this sounds dumb or condescending--trust me, it's not. Some of my biggest misplays were from when I thought I knew what a card did, and missed a rules text or an activation or a trigger that could've put me ahead. People did this a lot in Gatecrash by forgetting Crowned Ceratok not only gave out trample, but had it too, or that the Call of the Nightwing tokens had flying, or you could retreive a Nightveil Specter-ed land enchanted with Debtor's Pulpit by using Gruul Charm.

Looking at your cards and analyzing what each one can do over the entire board is really taxing for hours on end. Just try to stay focused. Play tight. Attack well. Know when to mull, etc.

I'd recommend bringing more than just the 40 sleeves for the deck.  You probably want to sleeve up potential sideboard cards or an alternative deck.  You also want spares in case a sleeve breaks.

Prereleases are "continuous construction" events.  That means you don't actually have to undo any sideboarding for each round.  If you find a different configuration of your deck that is better, you don't have to play with the worse configuration for every game 1.

I can't stress what rstnme said about reading your cards.  I'm a pretty decent player, and I spent an entire flight of the RTR pre-release with Dramatic Rescue in my sideboard thinking it only worked on my creatures.
Prereleases are "continuous construction" events.  That means you don't actually have to undo any sideboarding for each round.  If you find a different configuration of your deck that is better, you don't have to play with the worse configuration for every game 1.

That's a hugely important one too.

Also, if someone plays Pack Rat they're cheating and you have permission to lynch. (It's impossible to get that card in the prerelease.)

Good advice from rstnme and MadAdmiral. One thing I would add to the read your cards bit: read your oppenents cards too! Sometimes either mistakenly or intentionally people will play sorceries thinking they are instants and things of that nature, so make sure you also pay attention to what your opponents cards are doing as well.

Also, nice to see you posting again MadAdmiral. I always found you to be one of the most helpful posters on these boards! 
I've been around other sections.  Haven't been playing Limited much, so I haven't really cared about the format.

Does anyone have a link to the specific configurations of the guild packs?  I know there have been lists floating around, but I can't seem to find them. 
I've been around other sections.  Haven't been playing Limited much, so I haven't really cared about the format.

Does anyone have a link to the specific configurations of the guild packs?  I know there have been lists floating around, but I can't seem to find them. 

RtR (incomplete, but you can go to www.mythicpoilers.com to see all possible cards):

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

GTC one:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Eat
I know that at the last draft I played Biomass Mutation thinking that it gave +x/+x not made each creature X/X in TWO DIFFERENT MATCHES.  The first time my opponent didn't catch it and for all I know he let me cheat a win (ended the game).  The second time, my opponent caught it - but luckily it just turned a wincon into a board wipe and I won a couple turns later.

Also, not all specters and spirits and phantasms have flying, even though you might expect it.

Finally - make sure you understand the stack.   I was actually surprised to learn that if you remove a blocker after blockers are declared, the creature dies but you are still blocked!    You have to removalate it before blockers are declared. 
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Knowing the stack is crucial.

A normally good player let me absolutely steal a lost game because he mind farted on how the stack worked.

He could kill me by sacking his Cinder Elemental during his upkeep I tapped it down with my Debtor's pulpit just for the hell of it and he shook his head and resignedly tapped it. I about fell out of my chair and continued in this manner every turn until I had extorted enough to get out of the range of his guy.

After the game he almost table flipped as I explained to him what he should have done. very nice guy and usually a good player but just made a mistake on the stack.

I also made a mistake with the stack in the same game, I knew my opponent had a Skullcrack in his hand so I cast a spell and only extorted once and thought I could do the other two triggers after he put skullcrack on the stack but then realized I couldn't do that and missed out on draining two more life. 
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I stopped by the local prerelease on the way home from work yesterday, just to check out the scene. I watched a game here and there.

I watched this one guy who looked pretty nervous. He had a fist full of fuse cards and his opponent played the green evolve creature followed by exava, rakdos blood witch. As soon as the nervous guy untapped his dimir gate he slammed the possession thing onto exava, the one that causes opponent to lose life whenever it attacks/blocks. About a turn later he realized his mistake - he had the far and away fuse spell, bounce a creature and force a sac on the other. Now because he had put an enchantment on one of his opponent's creatures, the spell looked a lot less appealing. If he had cast that spell first he could have bounced the evolve guy and made his opponent sacrifice exava.

Point is, don't get nervous and play too quickly. Think, breathe, look before you leap. 
I stopped by the local prerelease on the way home from work yesterday, just to check out the scene. I watched a game here and there.

I watched this one guy who looked pretty nervous. He had a fist full of fuse cards and his opponent played the green evolve creature followed by exava, rakdos blood witch. As soon as the nervous guy untapped his dimir gate he slammed the possession thing onto exava, the one that causes opponent to lose life whenever it attacks/blocks. About a turn later he realized his mistake - he had the far and away fuse spell, bounce a creature and force a sac on the other. Now because he had put an enchantment on one of his opponent's creatures, the spell looked a lot less appealing. If he had cast that spell first he could have bounced the evolve guy and made his opponent sacrifice exava.

Point is, don't get nervous and play too quickly. Think, breathe, look before you leap. 

True, but easier said than done, especially for someone new.  Repetitions help with this a lot.

Is this arrogance or real advice? Sounds like you want to come across as the gaming master.

Actually it's just advice. Something I am prone to, as well, at big events. Why do you have to look for something sinister in the post, what's the purpose?
Actually it's just advice. Something I am prone to, as well, at big events. Why do you have to look for something sinister in the post, what's the purpose?

Oh the irony! That's exactly how I feel when you try to look for something in my posts. Let's all calm down and try to act civil.

Sealeddude that was uncalled for.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sign In to post comments