When did Bane get the domain of War?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have been trying to find anything I can on this, and all I find is general info on wiki, and links to sourcebooks.


So much has changed with the gods between 3rd and 4th editions, but I am curious as to when it happened.  It's not as if whatever day 4th edition happened is when the changes went into place.  Heck domains were an afterthought (as they were not in the 4th ed FRCS book).


So in what year of the DR calendar did Bane pick up the War Domain?  I assume Shar got Undeath when she created the Shadowfell (as it kind of makes sense).  When did Lathander change to Amaunator?  When did Red Knight shift to LG?


Inquiring minds want to know.       
Metagaming dude. Domains dont really exist in the world, its not like clerics sit around and say stuff like, "Hey! my god offers such and such domain. 

In the game world Domains would be like Portfolios or Spheres of Influence or whatever, that being said, I believe Bane picked up Strife or something, when he returned in 1372 DR, I think that was the year, The Year 3rd edition started, I think it was 1372, i could be wrong, anyways I would say that was when he got the War domain. 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Metagaming dude. Domains dont really exist in the world, its not like clerics sit around and say stuff like, "Hey! my god offers such and such domain. 

In the game world Domains would be like Portfolios or Spheres of Influence or whatever, that being said, I believe Bane picked up Strife or something, when he returned in 1372 DR, I think that was the year, The Year 3rd edition started, I think it was 1372, i could be wrong, anyways I would say that was when he got the War domain. 




Thanks for the reply, however I was already aware of everything that happened up to 1372.

Take a look at this link here:
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bane


He currently has Civilization, Tyranny, and War.  He had Destruction, Evil, Hatred, Law    


When did the change happen within the rolling DR calendar.


I am not metagaming, just trying to properly play the game between when 1374 DR through to the Spellplague.      
      

So in what year of the DR calendar did Bane pick up the War Domain?  I assume Shar got Undeath when she created the Shadowfell (as it kind of makes sense).

There isn't necessarily a specific year for when Bane added War to his aspect. Things like subjugating the goblin deities or pushing for increased militance in his church are probably just springboards to becoming a more war-oriented deity, but I wouldn't say there was a specific time when Bane officially got his hands on War.  

When did Lathander change to Amaunator?

This one, on the other hand, does have a specific point of reference. In 1385 DR, when Mystra was murdered and everything went crazy, Lathander revealed himself to be Amaunator, confirming a certain heresy that the two were actually different sides of the same coin. He did this because... well, it really just boils down to "because he thought it was the right time to do so". He then went on to help place Cyric under house arrest.

When did Red Knight shift to LG?

As with Bane, I don't think there is a specific point in time when you can decidedly pin down when this occurred. Red Knight's shift was probably a gradual transition, instead of an on-the-spot change; thus, there isn't really a specific year to answer your question.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Take a look at this link here:
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bane


He currently has Civilization, Tyranny, and War.  He had Destruction, Evil, Hatred, Law




Those aren't Portfolios, those are Domains. Portfolios are what the gods stand for in the world. Domains are game rules. Game rules change between editions.  
in what year of the DR calendar did Bane pick up the War Domain?

Anytime during the Spellplague era; whatever works best in your campaign. Bane could acquire the War domain:
- gradually, as an incarnation of him starts being worshipped as a god of war on other planes.
- during 1385 DR's 'Time of everything going crazy after Mystra died'
- when he defeats Maglubiyet
- when Gruumsh crashes his plane into Chernoggar

Also, Bane's FR wiki page says: "Bane escaped the Spellplague largely unscathed and, in fact, the cataclysm largely benefited him, removing two of his chief rivals, Mystra and Cyric all at once. In the century that followed Bane's power increased only further and the god conquered the goblinoid pantheon, bringing Maglubiyet and Hruggek to heel before him. By the end of Era of Upheaval Bane was as powerful - and as dangerous - as he had ever been."
- when Gruumsh crashes his plane into Chernoggar


 
That's Core Bane, not Realms Bane. They're two completely different characters who just have the same name and, for some reason, also share a holy symbol. Core Bane was born a god, lives in Chernoggar, and is perpetually at war with Gruumsh. Realms Bane was born a human, lives in Banehold, and holds no special animosity for Gruumsh and vice versa. 
That's Core Bane, not Realms Bane.

Right (I mention the difference in my post, and provided a link to an article that describes that difference).

But just like the worship of Bane on other planes could theoretically influence the Realms Bane, so too could planes colliding (i.e. creating a 'shockwave' that could affect other incarnations of the deity). The Gods (and domains, and even the planes themselves) are things of 'belief', after all.

... plus I just like to envision Gods crawling out of the wreckage of a plane crash ;)