Top 10 games of all time?

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my opinion, Magic is the best game ever created. I put it at the top of my list for sure. It utilizes something a lot of other games don't - lateral design. It's really difficult to judge something in the category of "games". I don't consider sports, games but the distinction is sometimes a little blurred. Plus, what do you judge them on? Creativity? Strategy? In the end it is a personal assessment mostly based off how much fun each game has provided you as an individual. I'm curious, do you M:TG fans also consider Magic to be the best game ever created? =)

1. Magic: The Gathering
2. Go
3. Chess
4. Survivor
5. Dungeons and Dragons
6. Starcraft
7.  World of Warcraft
8. Poker
9.  DoTA
10. Monopoly 
While I agree that some of those should be in the top 10, Monopoly definitely shouldn't be IMO. The thing it has going for it is popularity. In terms of game design, it's very basic, and a lot of other games are much more in depth and strategic. If you're looking to actually try out some decent board games, check out the top games on boardgamegeek.com. For the record, IMO, Settlers of Catan is like a bazillion times better than Monopoly.

I also don't know if I could class Magic as the best game ever. There's a lot of strategy in various aspects of the game, for sure, and the random element makes things interesting, but it can be argued that sometimes there's too much of a random element. Many games can frustrate their players, but I can't imagine a player in Monopoly or Settlers having more frustration than having a deck that is a clear favorite in a matchup, then losing said match due to land screw or flood despite the odds of their deck construction indicating that wouldn't happen.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I believe judging games by broad category is more appropriate. It's very difficult to compare Go with WoW, for example. Comparing WoW with another MMORPG is comparatively straightforward.

I agree MTG is the top CCG, although there are many flaws with it. I'm hopeful that there will be competent competition in the near future (at least online).
Dwarf Fortress is just amazing.
Chess/SC franchise are top for PvP top-down strategy.
I haven't played much as far as pen and paper games go... not sure if D&D rightfully holds top in that regard.
WoW could be top for adventure games purely for its expansiveness & depth, though I look fondly back to some adventure games on console.
The only MOBA I have played is SMITE. It's very good but I haven't experienced LoL, HoN, et al so I couldn't say here either. 

There are SO many games out there, with new and better ones popping up every day. It's difficult to say what is truly best in terms of design and playability.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
There's no way I can even figure out my top ten games, let alone rank them.  Instead here are a few games I will always agree to play, regardless of what else I'm supposed to be doing at the time:

Magic
Settlers
Dominion (especially with Seaside and Intrigue)
Seven Wonders
Innovation
Robo Rally
Betrayal at House on the Hill

Dominant Species might end up on the list too. While the idea of a game with no hidden information is intriguing I've only played it twice and it may get much less interesting once everybody knows what they're doing.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

It's neat to see other peoples ideas and favorite games.

@JaxsonBateman - I definitly didn't pick monopoly because of its game design. It isn't a well designed game at all. I picked it because I've played a lot of it and had some really fun games. There are probably thousands of games better designed than it.

But that is part of why I said I'm basing them off a highly personal "fun/experience" scale. Most of the games I picked are high strategy games (and this being a Magic forum, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of strategy games picked).

I understand the frustration with the randomization in Magic. It's one of the reasons I sometimes think of games like Go as better. However, I'm so impressed with Magics lateral design and depth on multiple fronts that I feel that makes up for the fault.

When I first played WoW I was hoping the expansions would be more lateral design but instead Blizz tends to go with a progression model. I'm curious, are there any othercontinuous games you guys have encountered that have really good lateral design? (Making things fun, new and interesting without necessarily obsoleting the previous content). 
Crossfire
Crossfire

I haven't played this in forever! I remember the commercials seemed so amped up...

Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.
I never played it, but based on the commercial I don't think there's any denying it is the best game ever.
bridge?
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
The Hanky Panky.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
bridge?

I'm not sure that is a game so much as a a very intricate dance routine.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Settlers of Catan didn't make that list?

I mean I know it's a German game (racism activated!) but c'mon!

The lack of Twister on this list perpetuates a bad gaming stereotype!
While I agree that some of those should be in the top 10, Monopoly definitely shouldn't be IMO.

Indeed, I also find Monopoly to be terrible. Risk is a much better game anyway.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Dominant Species might end up on the list too. While the idea of a game with no hidden information is intriguing I've only played it twice and it may get much less interesting once everybody knows what they're doing.

There is actually a fair amount of hidden information. Expansion tiles, dominance cards and the draw of elements are all uncertain. Unless you mean hidden information in relation to other players, butthere are a decent number of games that do that.

The only games I know would end up on my list are Dominion, Terra Mystica and The Binding of Isaac (PC). TM might have some unexplored balance problems though, I haven't played it enough. Only setup randomness though, which is sweet.

Oh, and The Resistance is pretty cool too.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

YINSH is pretty good too
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Game of Thrones
The Olympic Games
Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"
pheasant
He Got Game (a Spike Lee joint)
The Lying Game
Foreigner's "Head Games"
The Hunger Games
The X Games
Backstreet Boys' "Quit Playing Games With My Heart"

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Game of Thrones
The Olympic Games
Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"
pheasant
He Got Game (a Spike Lee joint)
The Lying Game
Foreigner's "Head Games"
The Hunger Games
The X Games
Backstreet Boys' "Quit Playing Games With My Heart"

LOLOLOL!!!  Thank you for making my weekend.Smile
While I agree that some of those should be in the top 10, Monopoly definitely shouldn't be IMO.

Indeed, I also find Monopoly to be terrible. Risk is a much better game anyway.

Risk has the terminal flaw of taking forever to finish after a victor has pretty much already been decided. This is the same problem Monopoly has. The end-game is attrocious, and you tend to find a player that clings onto hope because being able to tell that story of when they came back from certain defeat is so juicy. But really, you can get that same effect in games that don't spend half an hour ending things after they're pretty much decided. 

Settler of Catan does well at mitigating this problem. The small amounts of diplomacy allow for people to gang-up on the winner, and being in an early lead often just spells doom in that game. Surprise wins happen with greater frequency and in more interesting ways.

My favorite non-Magic table-top game is still probably Dominion. Deck building games are great.
risk is inferior to Diplomacy in every possible way
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.

which is impressive because diplomacy also sucks.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

The halo risk is pretty good. Alternate win conditions and less swingy card turn in rules... and my kids like it.

But top games... Mario bros., mtg., settlers, DnD, the finger game my kids and I made up... um... chess, fetch, hop-scotch, hide and seek, dodgeball.

3DH4LIF3

that's risk for you
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Of all time?
Well, if history tells us anything, you guys are thinking too small. Most of the games mentioned in this forum are from the past 100 years. There are some games that have been around longer than spoken language.  Here's my list:

1. Hide and Seek/Tag [hunting/foraging/trapping]
2. Running/Racing [speed]
3. Wrestling [strength, cunning, physical prowess]
4. Rock toss (or caber toss, etc.) [strength]
5. Shooting (archery, javelin, darts, guns, etc.) [accuracy]
6. Riddles/Puzzles [logic, reasoning]
7. House/Doctor [domestic/healing]
8. Block games, of which Lego is a strong example [construction/architecture/visual spacial development]
9. Rock Paper Scissors [reasoning/strategy]

Some of these are categorical in nature - for example, you could argue that archery (bow and arrow) is a better game than darts, but I believe both are ultimately the same game, just with different tools.  Additionally, I separate Wrestling from Rock toss mainly because there are many more factors that go into Wrestling than rock toss.  While Rock toss is simply a test of overall strength, Wrestling requires a good deal of strategy and reasoning

Also, for longevity's sake, Rock Paper Scissors is a game that has been around roughly 400 years longer than Chess, and it still enjoys huge popularity.  It requires no equipment to play, and the learning curve is incredibly low.
Of all the games not directly tied to survival skills, I think it may be the most widespread.

Crossfire

Yeah, that commercial is seriously imprinted in my memory for all time.  I will go to my grave remembering the squealing guitars, lightning bolts and victorious, fist-pumping toe-haired 90's kid until my dying day.
I've never played it.
I'm fond of cribbage and pokemon.

HEYO
I know people are **** on "simple" games but quite frankly not all of my friends are hardcore gamers and playing Trivial Pursuit is fun because anybody can do it. Complexity is the main problem most of my friends don't want to learn Magic and I don't blame them. 

HEYO

mana denial plus terrible white creatures 

hnnnnnnnnnnnn 

you should try playing Magic: the Gathering some time, it's pretty fun

192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
Console Game : RBI Baseball - NES
Computer Game: Command and Conquer - Red Alert II
Board Game: Mouse Trap

My wifes favorite: Mind Games  

HEYO

mana denial plus terrible white creatures 

hnnnnnnnnnnnn 

you should try playing Magic: the Gathering some time, it's pretty fun

what did i do to you ((((((
How did this converstation go on this long and no one brought up Axis and Allies? Far better than Risk any day. The only drawback is that it is an all day affair, but thats not so bad when your bonding with your son.
Axis and Allies takes the diplomacy out of Risk, which is really good for me because while I get strategy and tactics, I'm a mediocre diplomat at best.

Trivial Pursuit is the bomb, but I feel like never editions are just trying to hard, also I feel beter about not knowing the pop culture of 30 years ago then not knowing the pop culture of today.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Axis and Allies takes the diplomacy out of Risk, which is really good for me because while I get strategy and tactics, I'm a mediocre diplomat at best.

there wasn't a lot to begin with
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
I know.
I know people are **** on "simple" games but quite frankly not all of my friends are hardcore gamers and playing Trivial Pursuit is fun because anybody can do it. Complexity is the main problem most of my friends don't want to learn Magic and I don't blame them. 

There are many of them that are fairly simple, like the aforementioned Dominion, although it actually has a fairly noticable skill segregation. Trivial Pursuit's gameflaws aren't necessarily due to simplicity, although I haven't played it enough to give an extensive comment on the game as a whole.

I think my only real complaints about Dominion is the setup time and necessity of expansions. The core game itself is pretty lame.

Yxoque wrote:

Settlers of Catan is a whole lot of fun. Balderdash is another favorite of mine.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
Goldeneye
Super smash bros(melee)
Diablo 2
Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania SOTN
Halo CE
Halo 2
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario 64
Minecraft

Dishonorable mention : MTG

There are many of them that are fairly simple, like the aforementioned Dominion, although it actually has a fairly noticable skill segregation. Trivial Pursuit's gameflaws aren't necessarily due to simplicity, although I haven't played it enough to give an extensive comment on the game as a whole.

I think my only real complaints about Dominion is the setup time and necessity of expansions. The core game itself is pretty lame.

I agree that a lot of the games mentioned are simple but I think that they are from a gamer's perspective. Most of the time I need to play the most casual of board games with friends because that's their level of gaming. Set up time is a huge factor in playing a game for casual gamers. If it takes more than a few minutes a lot of people will get disinterested which is understandable. When you're trying to have fun you want to have fun now, especially if it is something you're unfamiliar with. 
Well, sure, but I feel that a lot of board games have a developed "nerd factor" that is unwarranted, because a lot of them work really well in such scenarios. I can give a honorable mention to The Resistance: Avalon if you have 5 - 10 people at your ready, but there's also other noteworthy party games such as Dixit, or ones I'm less known with such as Say Anything or Wit's & Wagers. And there are options if you want some light strategy, like Coup or Citadels. Whatever, options are aplenty, but they're not all that well known because they're not the established games, such as Trivial Pursuit, Monopoly and whatever else.

Yxoque wrote:

Balderdash is another favorite of mine.

Balderdash is a wonderful game. Better with a group of creative minds, but still a good family game.

I forgot to mention party games. Apples to Apples is the model for smart and simplistic, is fun, easy, and you can actually approach it in a variety of ways.

The merit of any game is its ability to be used as a drinking or strip game. Apples to Apples excels at both. 
Yah, Apples to Apples is fun.

...but we've all been kidding ourselves. Let's face it. The best 10 games are:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
TBA (next Zelda game)
TBA (next Zelda game)