The net barbarian

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Goliath barbarian level 11 
stats str 18 + 4 race + 2 levels + 6 rage + 6 + 6 belt of giant str total 42
since net is a range touch attack it would be a dex to attacks so we have to go with these feats

1 exotic weapon prof net
3 brutal throw
6 two weapon fighting
9 quick draw
12 net and trident ( yes I know the level is not at level 12 yet )

but using 2 nettryout give your opponent a -4 to attack -8 to dex a DC 30 concentration for spells casting 2 DC 20 escape checks and 2DC 25 str checks to break the nets 

so here is the idea throw 1net on to an opponent then quick draw your second one an throw that one to then take a 5 foot step once at level 12 and smash the hell out of the opponent with your large trident with your plus 16 to damage to the almost helpless opponent

Do you need EWP for Net and Trident style?  Otherwise, you are only looking at a -4 penalty for non-proficiency, and that is hardly a problem for ranged touch attacks on a full BAB chassis.  I'd drop that if you can and simply suck up the -4 penalty.

Also, nets give the "entangled" condition.  You are either entangled or not.  You could be entangled by an Entangle spell, a Tanglefoot Bag, an Entangling Exhalation breath weapon, and a net, and you would still just be entangled.  It doesn't stack with itself without an explicit exception (like fear has), and since there is no exception, there is no "double entangled".  So...that kinda defeats the purpose of throwing 2.  You could toss 2 at two different foes, which would work, but only one net per foe.  Also, by the time your character picks up TWFing, he'll already be able to throw 2 nets simply due to iterative attacks.  If you take the Whirling Frenzy Barbarian ACF (in Unearthed Arcana), you could throw 3 a round, assuming you had them.  If you move Quickdraw into that slot, you could easily draw and throw a 2nd net on your secondary iterative attack.

Lastly, being a Goliath doesn't really add anything.  Nets can only be used on a foe who is 1 size larger than you.  Powerful Build treats you as 1 size larger for a very very very select list of conditions.  It does NOT mention anything about net-wielding, and the wording on nets suggests that the size of the net is irrelevant, only the size of the wielder.  Its kinda wonky, but without a ruling from your DM, a goliath with a large net has the ability to net the same creatures as a human with a medium net.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

So Powerful Build WOULD be useful if you had to make an opposed Str check (you are treated as Large, which grants a +4 bonus on such opposed checks) to control an opponents movement while netted, but it wouldn't give you any other bonuses for this build.
I looked up the net and trident feat.  Its entire function is to allow you to, as a full round action, attack with the net, take a 5-foot step, and attack with the trident.  You can already do that if you're capable of making more than one attack per round.  Worse, net and trident will deny you the attack with the trident if you miss with the net or don't win the opposed strength check. 
The way I see it is that the net and trident allow you to make a full attack when you would only be allowed to make a standard attack now with + 20 to str check vs medium sized opponents I see the net and trident feat very usefull but I would have to look I to it a bit more but that is the way I read it 

The best way I guess I can put it is like this Barbarian has a movement of 40 feet if medium size so the barbarian moves 30 feet throws his net as the attack he hits he wins the str check he then is able to take a 5 foot step and get the full attack round 

so maybe a better buld would be something like this

Bar 1 fighter 10 Goliath 1

i would not get the +6 to str but it is only a extra 2 str points and with the 10 levels of fighter that is 6 more feat to pick to make me even better 

something like
lv1 ewp. net
lv2 weapon focus net 
l. 4 weapon specialization net 

Then some other ones in there but that would give me a + 16 to damage with a weapon that has no + enhancements or abilities to to shabby 

wyvernhand you forgot about the goliath barbarian sub level. In rage he actually gets large
The best way I guess I can put it is like this Barbarian has a movement of 40 feet if medium size so the barbarian moves 30 feet throws his net as the attack he hits he wins the str check he then is able to take a 5 foot step and get the full attack round

Net and Trident is a full round action, so you can't move and then use the feat.  As written, the only thing it does is allow you to throw a net, step forward, and (maybe) full attack with only your trident.  It does allow you to take those attacks with the trident at your full BAB bonus, but aside from that using Two-Weapon Fighting gets you about the same effect (assuming a net counts as a light weapon) without gambling on a Str check.

Basically, just take Two-Weapon Fighting and suck up the -2 penalty on attacks.  You'll save yourself three feats and you can pick up and use Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or above with armor spikes or something as well (Net and Trident restricts you to just your trident attacks).

Another option if you want multiple "control" effects on a single opponent might be to go with a harpoon as your second weapon.  You could then throw a net on the opponent then throw a harpoon at them and have two objects they need to remove to get away from you.

Possible Build

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level   | Class          | Feats/Abilities                                   | BAB | HP
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Level 1:  Barbarian        Exotic Weapon Proficiency (harpoon)
Level 2:  Barbarian        
Level 3:  Barbarian        Point Blank Shot
Level 4:  Barbarian        
Level 5:  Warblade [3]     {Punishing Stance | Disarming Strike, Mountain Hammer, Moment of Perfect Mind}
Level 6:  Bloodstorm Blade Throw Anything
Level 7:  Bloodstorm Blade
Level 8:  Bloodstorm Blade [Two-Weapon Fighting]
Level 9:  Bloodstorm Blade Snow Tiger Berserker (?)
Level 10: Crusader |5|     
Level 11: Crusader |6|     
Level 12: Warblade [7]     Extra Rage