Good idea

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
that won't happen.  They added rounds, GSP, cuz they couldn't get sanctioned anywhere due, in part, to the fact that guys fought until one of them quit or was incapacitated.  One of the reasons you make so much money is because the UFC uses rounds. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Exactly, GSP is very technical and he uses the timer clock a lot.
It is one of his strenghts, controling every element of the fight, even playing safe at the end of a round when it's warranted.
He is not the most spectacular fighter, but he knows how to win, with brains and brawls.

TL;DR I entirely agree. It would be to his disadvantage.

That's not what I meant, though.  He can make the money he does because the UFC is what it is today.  Without going to the round format that would not have happened. 

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

that won't happen.  They added rounds, GSP, cuz they couldn't get sanctioned anywhere due, in part, to the fact that guys fought until one of them quit or was incapacitated.  One of the reasons you make so much money is because the UFC uses rounds. 

Taking rounds away is a terrible idea. Do you remember the Gracie VS Shamrock fight that was 30-something minutes long? And there were no judges back then. That fight was long and boring, and in the end, no one even won! What the hell was that?
I don't want to see MMA go back to that. And it's not as if GSP would suddenly be knocking guys out if the rounds were taken away. It would just be a longer round where GSP takes a guy down, holds him down, and beats him down.  
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Meh, it's sorta cool to know there's gonna be a finish.  It'll never come back, though.  I think it'd be better to go to a Pride style setup.  A 10 min first round gives guys a chance to really wear someone down but you still have a time limit.

Section Six Soldier

But taking away the rounds doesn't guarantee that there will be a finish. The gracie VS Shamrock fight proves that. That was a 36 minute fight. No rounds. No judges. No finish.

Even the Pride 10 minute rounds din't guarantee a finish. I mean, if you really just want the fighters to be worn down enough throughout a fight that one of them will eventually get finished because he is too tired to keep fighting, just add extra rounds. As it stands, championship fight go for 25 minutes (five rounds of five minutes each). Add an extra two rounds and the fight will go 35 minutes. That's what, one minute less than boxing fights? The guys with good cardio will be able to go into the last two rounds, and the guys that don't will get finished. Then again, if you have another GSP VS Diaz fight, it'll just be 7 rounds of Diaz getting his face punched while being held down with no finish.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
There's nothing wrong with that. 

The 10 min first isn't to try and guarantee a finish, it's to give guys time.  How many times do you see someone get saved by the bell?  This would maybe help with that.  Maybe.

Section Six Soldier

The Pride fights prove you wrong.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Meh, guys are better now. 

Section Six Soldier

So is the fight system.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Pride wasn't bad.  Old UFC was, though.

Section Six Soldier

Exactly. Why go back to the no rounds of the old UFC? If you want a longer fight where there is a greater chance of someone getting finished, just add more rounds. Much better.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Yup.  They already did that with main events, too.

Section Six Soldier

Not enough rounds added. Add two more.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Hell, I'm down with that.  I wonder what'd do to scheduling, though.  Like, more rounds means potentially more time means potentially less fights.  But what happens if all the fights end in 3 rounds or less - something certainly possible? 

Section Six Soldier

It would give the champs more time between fights, which is not a bad thing. It would allow for contenders to really prove they are worthy of a shot. It also gives the champs more time to train and heal, so they won't get injured and end up having to cancel a fight.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Sign In to post comments