Elemental Movement II

+4

+5

Martial Feat

+5

Elemental Attunement

Level 1: Elemental Blood

You were born with an affinity to an element. Choose one:

Earth: Strong and Brave, you have control over the very ground and hills.

Water: Flowing with the ebb and pull of the currents of life, you have control over the seas and rivers.

Fire: Passionate and Hot-headed, you control the flames around you, but have difficulty with those that burn in your heart.

Air: Fast and Free, you ride every gale and gust to wherever it takes you.

Level 1: Elemental Path

You can focus your energies to practice and meditate; learning quickly that your powers can be used for attack or defense.

Elemental Assault: You do an extra 1d6 elemental damage on all successful attacks. This ability stacks with other damage abilities. This ability scales at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20 to 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, and 5d6 respectively.

Elemental Armor: Gain a reaction ability based upon your choice of element.

Earth: Reaction when hit by an attack to gain resistance to the damage

Water: Reaction to trip the opponent on a miss.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d8 damage to the attacker

Air: Reaction to give an attack against you disadvantage

Level 1: Martial Arts

You have studied the martial art of your elemental form for years. You gain the Martial Arts Feat.

Level 2: Elemental Manipulation

Earth: (concentration) Control up to 50 lbs. of earth. You can move the earth through the air as an action. ). You can also shape the earth when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the dirt/stone falls where you drop it.

Water: (concentration) Control an amount of water of equal to 50 lbs. You can move the water through the air up to 30 feet as an action. You can also shape the water when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the water splashes down where you drop it.

Fire: (concentration) Control a medium size or smaller fire. As an action you can create, move the fire 30 feet, or grow or reduce the fire by 1 size (possibly extinguishing it). You can also shape the fire when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the fire returns to its original size and shape or is extinguished.

Air: (concentration) Control the air and wind to create powerful gusts in a 30 foot radius. As an action you can make a magic attack to push an opponent 10 feet or knock prone all creatures in a 10 foot radius.

Level 3: Elemental Path II

Depending upon your choice of path, you now gain further options and specialization.

Elemental Assault: You can now manipulate your chosen element fast enough to hit the opponent with considerable force.

Earth: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Earth damage and potentially knock the target back 10 ft. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Water: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Water damage and potentially trip the target. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: On a successful hut, you deal 2d6 Fire damage and potentially set the target alight for 1d4 turns or until the take a full action to put out the flames. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Air: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Air damage and potentially knock the target prone. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Elemental Armor: You can now completely cloak yourself in your chosen element.

Earth: +2 to AC. Lasts for 1d6 turns.

Water: You can heal 1d4 of your own hitpoints in addition to making an attack. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d12 damage to the attacker

Air: You can choose to completely dodge one attack every 2d4 turns, unless it is a Critical, which does standard damage instead.

Level 5: Elemental Path III

Depending upon your choice of path, you now gain further options and specialization.

Elemental Assault: You can now manipulate your chosen element fast enough to hit the opponent with   Considerable force.

Earth: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Earth damage and potentially knock the target back 10 ft. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Water: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Water damage and potentially trip the target. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: On a successful hut, you deal 2d8 Fire damage and potentially set the target alight for 1d4 turns or until the take a full action to put out the flames. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Air: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Air damage and potentially knock the target prone. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Earth: +3 to AC. Lasts for 1d6 turns.

Water: You can heal 2d4 of your own hitpoints in addition to making an attack. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 2d8 damage to the attacker

Air: You can choose to completely dodge one attack every 1d6 turns, unless it is a Critical, which does standard damage instead.

Level 6: Martial Feat

You can now take a Martial Feat due to your intense mental and physical training.

Level 7: Weapon Augmentation

The powers granted by the blood that flows through your veins now fully manifests in combat. Your weapons now deal an extra 2d6 of your element as long as you wield them (they must be in hand for this to take effect). In addition, any limb you cut off of the opponent that has the potential to grow back no longer can due to the cauterization caused by your element.

Level 7: Elemental Manipulation II

EDIT: 1.2 framework HERE
          1.1 framework HERE

original (1.0) framework below:
Elementalist: 

Mages that enhance their own abilities through Elemental-based magic.
 +1 to Charisma and Strength
Spell List:
Cantrips:
Chill Touch
Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Level 1 Spells:
Burning Hands
Color Spray
Feather Fall
Flaming Sphere
Fog Cloud
Gust of Wind
Thunderwave
Level 2 Spells:
Invisibility
Levitate
Melf's Acid Arrow
Scorching Ray
Level 3 Spells:
Fireball
Fly
Haste
Lightningbolt
Stinking Cloud
Water Breathing
Level 4 Spells:
Ice Storm
Stone Skin
Wall of Fire
Level 5 Spells:
Cloudkill
Cone of Cold
Level 6 Spells:
Chain Lightning
Disintigrate
Flesh to Stone
Move Earth
Sunbeam
Level 7 Spells:
Mass Invisibility
Plane Shift
Prismatic Spray
Reverse Gravity
Level 8 Spells:
Sunburst
Level 9 Spells:
Meteor Swarm

Level 1:
 (can only use one of the following abilities at a time. switching abilities is a minor action.)
Rock Armor: Protect yourself by coating your body in nearby rocks. Forms a casing similar to an exoskeleton. +2 to AC. No additional movement or arcane failure penalties.
Tailwind: While active, the very air pushes you on your way. +10 to movement speed.
Ember Blade: Your weapon grows warm to the point that it changes color. +1d4 Fire damage, but if the weapon is not either enchanted or made of advanced materials, it takes damage as well. (non-metal weapons catch fire and can only be used once before they turn to ash)
Summon Water: Draw water from your surroundings. This makes 1d6 gallons of water.

Level 2:

Elemental Resistances: You have an advantage on all saving throws against taking elemental damage.

Level 3:

Elemental Shift: You can change your appearance to match your natural surroundings. +3 on Hide checks.

Level 4:
Elemental Summoning: You call upon the elements themselves, summoning an elemental.

Elemental

AC 13
Hp 15 (3d6+1)

Speed 30ft.

Str19(+4) Dex 8(–1)  Con16(+3)
Int 5(–3)  Wis10(+0) Cha10(+0)

Alignment: neutral

Immunities:

The elemental is immune to disease and poison. It cannot be knocked prone, paralyzed, turned to stone, or put to sleep. It does not need to sleep, eat, or breathe.
Resistance:
The elemental is resistant to nonmagical weapons.

Melee Attack—Slam:

+5 to hit (reach 5 ft.; one creature). Hit: 11 (2d8+2) bludgeoning damage.

(For specifics and other information on elementals, please refer to the Bestiary.) 

Level 5: (All have a recharge of 2d6 turns.)
Fire Blast: Flames shoot from you, allowing you to jump higher, run further in bursts, or deal extra damage. +5 ft to high jump, +10 ft to long jump, or deal 3d6 pionts of fire damage. 
Earthen Barrier: You can create a wall of stone, blocking an opening or potentially deflecting one hit. Works like the Parry ability. 
Windy strike: Knocks an enemy back 20ft. Saving throw DC of 15.
Water Pellets: You draw water from your surroundings and compress it into tiny marble sized spheres that explode on impact. Created 1d6 spheres, each deals 1d6 damage to anything in a 10ft radius of the impact zone.
Level 7:
Bind Elemental: you can bind an elemental to objects. The results vary depending on the type of elemental and the object in question.
Level 8:
Advanced Elemental Summoning: You can now summon a "perfect" elemental. The elemental's stats match the stats in the Bestiary exactly.
Level 10:
Advanced Elemental Binding: You are now more proficient with binding. Advantage on all rolls regarding binding.
Level 15:
Elemental Augmentation: You can bind an elemental to yourself, enhancing your natural abilities. Results vary depending on the elemental used and the location of the binding.

What do you all think?

-Kane

I think that there's no minor action in DDN Wink

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

I think that there's no minor action in DDN 

oops lol XD i forgot. i was trying to make it easy to switch without leaving the player wide open. any suggestions on how to do that in DDN?

thanks

It's called a swift action I believe.

Also it's generally +1 to 1 stat chosen from the list rather than the +1 to two stats you've got.

Also some of those spells seem a little odd, mass invisibility and haste?

I suggest that instead of having one big list create several small lists, and let them pick 2-3 small lists, call them traditions, specialties, affinities, whatevs. 
It's called a swift action I believe.

Also it's generally +1 to 1 stat chosen from the list rather than the +1 to two stats you've got.

Also some of those spells seem a little odd, mass invisibility and haste?

I suggest that instead of having one big list create several small lists, and let them pick 2-3 small lists, call them traditions, specialties, affinities, whatevs. 

Swift action?  No, no, we have swift spells.  There's no way any other type of class will ever need to do something similar to casting a swift spell, so we're good.
I'd rather see the elementalist like the Elemental Benders from Avatar than a traditional D&D daily caster.

I think a good way to model them is not to use spells at all but instead give them a single "Elemental Manipulation" power and give them "mana" as an encounter resource.

Their basic attack ability would be an elemtal strike or elemental bolt but this could be modified with mana to become a cone, an explosion, or have some kind of additional effect. Using mana to power up your attack should not increase its damage, but should instead be used to add new effects to your attack. The damage would scale up with level (1d12 + Cha mod at level 1 to 5d12 + Cha mod at 20).

The elementalist would also be able to learn special tricks that cost mana and use their elemental manipulation power such as using the wind to fly short distances, creating walls of earth, etc.
It had got a previous name: Dragonfire Adept (from Dragon Magic).

---

A elemantalist spellcaster could be a shugenja, a sha´ir or a new class using the game mechanic of shadowcaster (Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow and Truename) as if shadow was other element.  

Other option could be the half-elemental template class, like from Articles "Savage Progression" from WotC web. 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I'd rather see the elementalist like the Elemental Benders from Avatar than a traditional D&D daily caster.

I think a good way to model them is not to use spells at all but instead give them a single "Elemental Manipulation" power and give them "mana" as an encounter resource.

Their basic attack ability would be an elemtal strike or elemental bolt but this could be modified with mana to become a cone, an explosion, or have some kind of additional effect. Using mana to power up your attack should not increase its damage, but should instead be used to add new effects to your attack. The damage would scale up with level (1d12 + Cha mod at level 1 to 5d12 + Cha mod at 20).

The elementalist would also be able to learn special tricks that cost mana and use their elemental manipulation power such as using the wind to fly short distances, creating walls of earth, etc.

^ Brilliant! 

@Luis I just read up on shadow casters... not quite sure that's what I'm going for... then again, i may be reading it wrong.

here we go: attempt 2

Elementalist

Elemental Blood:
Earth: +2 to AC. Earth glide. (Tank)
Water: Water Breathing. No penalties when in water. Advantage on swim checks.(DPS)
Fire: +2 attack. Burning Hands. Fire immunity. (AOE)
Air: +10 speed. Wind Walking. Dodge Advantage. Dodge. (Kite)

Level 3:
Elemental Manipulation: Each element gets new attacks. (We'll figure the secifics out later)

not the prettiest of photoshops, but not too shabby.

better?

I thnk having some abilities be good some of the time "no penalties while in water" compared to abiliites good all the time "+2 AC" is hard to balance against. From your post, being an Earth bender or Fire bender instantly makes me better no matter what the situation, while the Water bender is only good when immesed in water. Also, +2 Attack and +2 to AC are pretty decent benefits in a game with Bounded Accuracy. Can these guys wear armor? What weapons are they proficient with?

As for new attacks, would they be on a per/day basis, maybe per/encounter, or at-will? Personally, I'd rather see them per/encounter with maybe one attack being a signature for each element. Examples:

Sonic Boom
Air elemental (strike)
Level: Elementalist 1
Target: One creature
You sweep your arms wide and inhale, bringing the very essence of air into your being. With a quick movement, you collapse your arms together and cause a sharp crack of air that booms like thunder.
As an action, you make a ranged attack within 30 feet against your foe. This attack deals 1d8 sonic damage. In addition, the target is pushed back 10 feet.
At Higher Levels: This maneuver's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach an elementalist level of 5th (2d8), 10th (3d8), 15th (4d8), and 20th (5d8).    

Water Whip
Water elementalist (strike)
Level: Elementalist 1
Target: One creature
Focus: 8oz. of pure water or more
With a quick flash of your hand, you bring the water your holding into a serpent-like whip of water that freezes on impact.
As an action make a melee attack against any target within 10 feet. This attack deals 1d8 points of cold damage. In addition, on a successful attack, you may attempt to knock down the target. You may use your Wisdom score in place of your Strengh score when making this attempt.
At Higher Levels: This maneuver's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach an elementalist level of 5th (2d8), 10th (3d8), 15th (4d8), and 20th (5d8).

What if any gamer wish more elements like metal, wood, shadow, ice, "taint" (from Heroes of Horror) or Blood (elementals from Ravenloft Monster Compendium)?

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

they can be developed later

you gotta start somewhere. 
A few thoughts:

1) look to the 3e warlock for eldritch blast and invocations as good model to start off of.

2) Elemental Manipulation Basic Abilities
At it's core elemental manipulation isn't an attack ability. It should be used creativly by the elementalist and has many improvisational abilities to perform many tasks but when you need to deal damage to something use the bolt/strike power instead. Here are some brief examples of things you can do with elemental manipulation.

Fire - (concentration) Control a medium size or smaller fire. As an action you can move the fire 30 feet, grow the fire 1 size, or reduce the fire 1 size (possibly extinguishing it). You can also shape the fire when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the fire returns to its original size and shape unless it has been extinguished.

Water - (concentration) Control an amount of water of equal to 50 lbs. Can move the water through the air up to 30 feet as an action.

Earth - (concentration) Control up to 50 lbs. of earth. Can move the earth through the air as an action.

Air - (concentration) Control the air and wind to create powerful gusts in a small area. As an action you can make a magic attack to push 10 feet or knock prone all creatures in a 10 foot radius burst within 50 feet of you.

3) Elemental Strike/Bolt
  Make a magic attack against a creature. It makes a Dexterity save (DC = your attack roll). On a failed save it takes dX damage + Charisma mod damage (type based on element).
  *Blast - 1 mana, turns the attack into a 20 foot cone
  *Burst - 1 mana, turns attack into a 10 foot burst within 50 feet
  *Forceful - 1 mana, target(s) hit pushed 10 feet and/or knocked prone
  *Sweep - 1 mana, attack each creature adjacent
  *etc

4) Elemental Armor
   *Fire - Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d12 damage to the attacker
   *Earth - Reaction when hit by an attack to gain resistance to the damage
   *Air - Reaction to give an attack against you disadvantage
   *Water - Reaction to ???

5) Elemental Evocations
   These are abilities that modify what your elemental manipulation does at the cost of mana. These are more powerful than the standard elemental tricks you perform but cost a lot of mana (3?)

Wall - Create 30 foot wall of your element
  Summon Elemental -  Summon a small elemental to fight for you
  Elemental Transformation - Become an elemental creature with various abilities
  Flight - Gain the ability to fly for a short time

And more.
they can be developed later

you gotta start somewhere. 

agreed.

i was actually thinking some other elements could be branches or advancements of the first 4.

Earth-Metal
Water-Ice
Fire-lightning
Air-Vacuum

those of course aren't set in stone. also, light and dark may not really work, but perhaps any of the elements could branch there. 

I would definitely want to see the abilities as per-encounter or even more often. they'd be pretty worthless if they couldn't use their only abilities lol

Armor and weapon proficiency: Generally light armor, but, for example, a Metal bender would be able to wear heavy. maybe...

Earth: Heavy armor (martial weapons)
Water: Medium armor (martial weapons)
Fire: Light armor (simple weapons and scimtars)
Air: No armor  (staffs and non-lethal weapons)

quick fix as well: Air: +2 to AC due to their advanced ability to dodge
Water: +2 constitution?

I would get rid of elemental blood and replace with elemental armor as the "defensive" feature. Flat bonuses tend to break BA.

Also on Elements:

Fire
  Magma (or Metal?) (Fire + Earth)
Earth
  Plant (Earth + Water)
Water
  Ice (Water + Air)
Air
 Lightning (Air + Fire)

It goes around in a circle. I also like "Shadow" as an unconnected final element. I could see most primary elements having access to the dual element below them as well. A water elementalist might also be able to perform ice magic for example. It depends on if you want to separate all the elements and sub elements or not.
I would get rid of elemental blood and replace with elemental armor as the "defensive" feature. Flat bonuses tend to break BA.

Also on Elements:

Fire
  Magma (or Metal?) (Fire + Earth)
Earth
  Plant (Earth + Water)
Water
  Ice (Water + Air)
Air
 Lightning (Air + Fire)

It goes around in a circle. I also like "Shadow" as an unconnected final element. I could see most primary elements having access to the dual element below them as well. A water elementalist might also be able to perform ice magic for example. It depends on if you want to separate all the elements and sub elements or not.

perhaps two different things: Elemental Armor and Elemental Assault. one provides a bonus to AC and the other to attack. but would you be able to have both, or have to choose one or the other?

with the armor v. assault thing each element would get a non-combat bonus too:

Earth: Earth glide
Water: Water breathing
Fire: Fire Immunity
Air: Wind Walking

i like the combo idea. it has a very Naruto like vibe to it though.

probably Metal imho. what do you guys think? 

and i was thinking put the elements in a circle with light on the inside of the circle and shadow on the outside.

A few thoughts:

1) look to the 3e warlock for eldritch blast and invocations as good model to start off of.

2) Elemental Manipulation Basic Abilities
At it's core elemental manipulation isn't an attack ability. It should be used creativly by the elementalist and has many improvisational abilities to perform many tasks but when you need to deal damage to something use the bolt/strike power instead. Here are some brief examples of things you can do with elemental manipulation.

Fire - (concentration) Control a medium size or smaller fire. As an action you can move the fire 30 feet, grow the fire 1 size, or reduce the fire 1 size (possibly extinguishing it). You can also shape the fire when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the fire returns to its original size and shape unless it has been extinguished.

Water - (concentration) Control an amount of water of equal to 50 lbs. Can move the water through the air up to 30 feet as an action.

Earth - (concentration) Control up to 50 lbs. of earth. Can move the earth through the air as an action.

Air - (concentration) Control the air and wind to create powerful gusts in a small area. As an action you can make a magic attack to push 10 feet or knock prone all creatures in a 10 foot radius burst within 50 feet of you.

3) Elemental Strike/Bolt
  Make a magic attack against a creature. It makes a Dexterity save (DC = your attack roll). On a failed save it takes dX damage + Charisma mod damage (type based on element).
  *Blast - 1 mana, turns the attack into a 20 foot cone
  *Burst - 1 mana, turns attack into a 10 foot burst within 50 feet
  *Forceful - 1 mana, target(s) hit pushed 10 feet and/or knocked prone
  *Sweep - 1 mana, attack each creature adjacent
  *etc

4) Elemental Armor
   *Fire - Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d12 damage to the attacker
   *Earth - Reaction when hit by an attack to gain resistance to the damage
   *Air - Reaction to give an attack against you disadvantage
   *Water - Reaction to ???

5) Elemental Evocations
   These are abilities that modify what your elemental manipulation does at the cost of mana. These are more powerful than the standard elemental tricks you perform but cost a lot of mana (3?)

Wall - Create 30 foot wall of your element
  Summon Elemental -  Summon a small elemental to fight for you
  Elemental Transformation - Become an elemental creature with various abilities
  Flight - Gain the ability to fly for a short time

And more.

Looking at this again, i really like the idea of the different armors and abilities. The eocations really balance out the class compared to wizards and monks.

quick note on evocations:

Wall: perfect.
Summon Elemental: if we are going the bending rout this may be a bit harder to pull off
Elemental Transformation: How bout calling this "Golem" and merely completely encasing yourself in the element
Flight: May not work for earth and water benders. they could have advanced swim and borrow maybe?

the strikes really do describe how the attacks would go too. probably not all 1 mana each though lol

also: Weapon Augmentation. we've strayed from the class' origional intent, so to get back on track: At Level 5 you can imbune a wielded weapon with the power of your element, dealing 2d6 extra elemental damage. (this allows for players to pull off the "Zuko's Blue spirit" look too ;) )

EDIT:

Level

Attack Bonus

Class Features

+1

Elemental Blood, Elemental Path, Martial Arts

+1

Elemental Manipulation I

+1

Elemental Strike (Beam)

+2

Elemental Evocation (Wall)

+2

Elemental Strike (Melee)

+2

Martial Feat

+2

Weapon Augmentation

+2

Elemental Manipulation II

+3

Elemental Strike (Blast)

+3

Elemental Flight I

+3

Elemental Manipulation III

+3

Elemental Evocation (Dome)

+3

Elemental Strike (Burst)

+4

Elemental Golem I

+4

Elemental Strike (Sweep)

+4

Martial Feat

+4

Elemental Golem II

+4

Elemental Flight II

+5

Martial Feat

+5

Elemental Golem III

Too much? XD

Earth has a con affinity
Water has a wis affinity
Fire has an int affinity
Air has a cha affinity.

Ah heck I forgot what I was going to say an affinity was. Bleh.
Earth has a con affinity Water has a wis affinity Fire has an int affinity Air has a cha affinity. Ah heck I forgot what I was going to say an affinity was. Bleh.

+1 perhaps?

i'd say:

Fire-Dex (for their flashy moves)
Water-Con (tend to be healers in the show)
Eath-Str (gotta lift dem rocks)
Air-Wis (trained as monks)

or

Fire-Cha (they're hot lol)
Water-Con (water makes up 80% of humans)
Earth-Str (boulder bash)
Air-Dex  (they dodge more than attack)

what was your reasoning?

It was something to do with connecting the abilities to other class features.

Like when the air elementalist uses his mana to move, he can increase his movement speed by a number of feet equal to his Dex score. Or he can float for a number of rounds = to Dex mod for N mana.

Still thinking...
Is elemantalist a hybrid of monk and shugenja?

2 things

1.) Try to keep an up to date version on the front page, makes thigns easier all around.

2.) What are you trying to achieve exactly?  You've got a rather disparate power list and a rigid progression. What/who are you trying to represent with this class?
I cannot speak for Kane, but I feel the Elementalist is a combination monk-shugenja / elemental sorcerer. I think of "benders" from avatar or dragonslayers from Fairy Tail when I think of the elementalist. Check out videos and images of Natsu Dragneel for how I imagine a fire elementalist fights.

They would have an at-will 0 cost attack that is either a melee Strike power or a ranged Bolt power. They would also possess the ability to control their chosen element at-will.

They would have mana as an encounter resource that would allow them to perform powerful elemental Evocations or apply Enhancements to their at-will attacks (such as blasts, bursts, and status effects).

That is just what I feel the elementalist should be like though.
The dragons are bondend with elements, aren´t they?

I suggest the name dracondae (=children of dragon) to create a remake of dragonfire adept (Dragon Magic). 

Benders aren't really presented as a good class idea, they'd make a great theme in 4e terms, or feat chain in 3e terms.

I'll look up the dragonslayers and dragneel later, but my question really is does there need to be a dedicated warrior frame underneath this? Furthermore I think we should look at a sort of menu of power options rather than the current rigid list. 
Benders aren't really presented as a good class idea, they'd make a great theme in 4e terms, or feat chain in 3e terms.

I'll look up the dragonslayers and dragneel later, but my question really is does there need to be a dedicated warrior frame underneath this? Furthermore I think we should look at a sort of menu of power options rather than the current rigid list. 

I was thinking it should be a class with a structure more along the lines of the 3e warlock or dragonfire adept.

A powerful basic at-will attack (elemental strike or elemental bolt).

A number of ways to improve that basic attack and more learned through leveling. (cost 1 mana)

A few powerful elemental evocations that produce really dramatic effects. (cost 3 mana)

Each element would come with a list of possible powers and abilities to choose from. There could be multiple tiers of powers as well. At level 6, 11, and 16 you can increase the tier of powers you have access to or gain access to a new element.

By level 16 you could cast tier 1 evocations from all 4 elements or you could cast tier 4 evocations from a single element.

These are all just rough ideas right now though.
I would really enjoy an elementalist class that resembled the Benders of the Avatar universe. I've tried designing such for a homebrew system (but I've renamed them as Druids, because it seems more naturey to me than mutating into animals/monsters and throwing acorn bombs); in that, I chose a different ability score for each of the four elements.

Given the spontaneous, improvised nature of the stunts in the two Avatar series, my vote goes towards a class that is primarily at-will and has guidelines for improvising more powerful techniques, which it can use infrequently. Something not dissimilar from the Fighter's combat expertise. Except I'm hoping that combat expertise gets improved, 'cause right now it's pretty dull.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
Ok to describe what i had in muind from before: a melee fighting class that has access to ONE element that they use to improve their natural abilities. Think a cross between a Monk and a Fighter, with the powers of a wizard.

the idea was that they would be able to get in close (thats why the movement enhancements) and then deal massive magical damage on top of their melee damage.

if we're comparing to Avatar, think of it like how Zuko fights; up close and personal, using weapons from time to time to really mess up the opponent.

I wanted them to really get in the frey and pull off crazy stunts that just destroy the enemy (yet still be balanced with other classes.)

definitely at-will, with a recharge time so they don't rely too heavily on their abilities.

and the element-covered weapons are a must (going back to zuko, when he uses his two swords in combination with his firebending)

the reason i want to avoid dragon references is because none of them have water or earth abilities, and lightning isn't included in the listed 4 elements.

a menu instead of a list would be cool. please explain your idea. i want to know more about what you had in mind.

i will update the first post.

Well the big thing is that golems and such aren't really conducive to the concept of the class as a warrior. Golem is more an ability for squishies and other such back row characters. At the same Time I could see some of your more tactically minded ... fine we'll call them benders, picking it up because it's a decent force multiplier.

I was thinking that maybe instead of a rigid progression as to what powers you get we could instead offer a series of options similar to how the pathfinder barbarian or 3e rogue have a list of powers they can pick from every couple of levels. 

Some options would be limited to certain elements, like for example blood puppet, stealing the breath, or internal combustion.

Basic powers (everyone should get one of these if not all of them)
Melee boost
Ranged attack
movement boost

Advanced powers  (chosen off a list)
Area effect shapes,
Melee mods,
ranged attack mods, 
various mods in general really

and then the basic powers and/or the mods can have improved forms for spending mana or you could have uber abilities like

COnflaguration (use basic ranged attack against all within x range)
Elemental armor
Vortex

really big powers that would use mana. 
How 'bout this:

The Elementalist

Level

Attack Bonus

Class Features

+1

Elemental Blood, Elemental Path, Martial Arts

+1

Elemental Manipulation I

+1

Elemental Path II

+2

+2

Elemental Path III

+2

Martial Feat

+2

Weapon Augmentation

+2

Elemental Manipulation II

+3

Elemental Path IV

+3

Elemental Movement I

+3

Elemental Manipulation III

+3

+3

Elemental Path V

+4

+4

Elemental Path VI

+4

Martial Feat

+4

Elemental Movement II

+4

+5

Martial Feat

+5

Elemental Attunement

Level 1: Elemental Blood

You were born with an affinity to an element. Choose one:

Earth: Strong and Brave, you have control over the very ground and hills.

Water: Flowing with the ebb and pull of the currents of life, you have control over the seas and rivers.

Fire: Passionate and Hot-headed, you control the flames around you, but have difficulty with those that burn in your heart.

Air: Fast and Free, you ride every gale and gust to wherever it takes you.

Level 1: Elemental Path

You can focus your energies to practice and meditate; learning quickly that your powers can be used for attack or defense.

Elemental Assault: You do an extra 1d6 elemental damage on all successful attacks. This ability stacks with other damage abilities. This ability scales at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20 to 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, and 5d6 respectively.

Elemental Armor: Gain a reaction ability based upon your choice of element.

Earth: Reaction when hit by an attack to gain resistance to the damage

Water: Reaction to trip the opponent on a miss.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d8 damage to the attacker

Air: Reaction to give an attack against you disadvantage

Level 1: Martial Arts

You have studied the martial art of your elemental form for years. You gain the Martial Arts Feat.

Level 2: Elemental Manipulation

Earth: (concentration) Control up to 50 lbs. of earth. You can move the earth through the air as an action. ). You can also shape the earth when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the dirt/stone falls where you drop it.

Water: (concentration) Control an amount of water of equal to 50 lbs. You can move the water through the air up to 30 feet as an action. You can also shape the water when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the water splashes down where you drop it.

Fire: (concentration) Control a medium size or smaller fire. As an action you can create, move the fire 30 feet, or grow or reduce the fire by 1 size (possibly extinguishing it). You can also shape the fire when you take an action to control it. When your concentration ends the fire returns to its original size and shape or is extinguished.

Air: (concentration) Control the air and wind to create powerful gusts in a 30 foot radius. As an action you can make a magic attack to push an opponent 10 feet or knock prone all creatures in a 10 foot radius.

Level 3: Elemental Path II

Elemental Assault: You can now manipulate your chosen element fast enough to hit the opponent with considerable force.

Earth: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Earth damage and potentially knock the target back 10 ft. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Water: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Water damage and potentially trip the target. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: On a successful hut, you deal 2d6 Fire damage and potentially set the target alight for 1d4 turns or until the take a full action to put out the flames. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Air: On a successful hit, you deal 2d6 Air damage and potentially knock the target prone. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Earth: +2 to AC. Lasts for 1d6 turns.

Water: You can heal 1d4 of your own hitpoints in addition to making an attack. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 1d12 damage to the attacker

Air: You can choose to completely dodge one attack every 2d4 turns, unless it is a Critical, which does standard damage instead.

Level 5: Elemental Path III

Elemental Assault: You can now manipulate your chosen element fast enough to hit the opponent with   Considerable force.

Earth: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Earth damage and potentially knock the target back 10 ft. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Water: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Water damage and potentially trip the target. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: On a successful hut, you deal 2d8 Fire damage and potentially set the target alight for 1d4 turns or until the take a full action to put out the flames. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Air: On a successful hit, you deal 2d8 Air damage and potentially knock the target prone. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Earth: +3 to AC. Lasts for 1d6 turns.

Water: You can heal 2d4 of your own hitpoints in addition to making an attack. This has a recharge of 2d4 turns.

Fire: Reaction when hit by a melee attack to deal 2d8 damage to the attacker

Air: You can choose to completely dodge one attack every 1d6 turns, unless it is a Critical, which does standard damage instead.

Level 6: Martial Feat

You can now take a Martial Feat due to your intense mental and physical training.

Level 7: Weapon Augmentation

The powers granted by the blood that flows through your veins now fully manifests in combat. Your weapons now deal an extra 2d6 of your element as long as you wield them (they must be in hand for this to take effect). In addition, any limb you cut off of the opponent that has the potential to grow back no longer can due to the cauterization caused by your element.

not done yet, but a good start. 

i'll update the first post with this  

whaddya think? 

2 things

1.) Martial arts and the attack bonus progression. Are these really universal traits? The attack bous maybe, but the martial arts feat doens't seem like a good call.

2.) Ok you're getitng the idea with the options between assault and armor, but it's still a tad rigid for my tastes, I was thinking more like in addition to a few basic abilities that all members of this class gain there is a list of abilities, and every few levels you can take one of the abilities from the list.

You want this to be a mobile, damage dealing class correct? With the constraints being: Warrior(?), single element, boost focused, and using at-wills but somethign limiting them so they can't spam the same moves every round (like recharge times)?

Does that describe the class you want?
I would really like a spell-less caster that started with access to a limited number of types of magic and some free magic attacks that could be augmented with a mana like resource.
I would prefer it be the model for sorcerer rather than an elimentalist since that opens up more types of magic such as light, shadow, force, etc.
I think martial arts as a feature outright would be a mistake but if the class had an option of martial arts or weapon proficiencies and the choices available depended on the magic types known that would be more interesting. Similarly a choice between armor proficiencies and a mage armor equivalent or neither and damaging enemies that strike you in melee.
2 things

1.) Martial arts and the attack bonus progression. Are these really universal traits? The attack bous maybe, but the martial arts feat doens't seem like a good call.

2.) Ok you're getitng the idea with the options between assault and armor, but it's still a tad rigid for my tastes, I was thinking more like in addition to a few basic abilities that all members of this class gain there is a list of abilities, and every few levels you can take one of the abilities from the list.

You want this to be a mobile, damage dealing class correct? With the constraints being: Warrior(?), single element, boost focused, and using at-wills but somethign limiting them so they can't spam the same moves every round (like recharge times)?

Does that describe the class you want?

That was the idea ;)

You'll probably have to give a specific example before i'll really understand the menu idea though ;P

@Isentrope the problem is that armor would make the casting too difficult. (thinking back to Avatar, they would need full range of movement) perhaps the different elements could each have one different armor and weapon proficiency...

Water-hide-Clubs
Fire-breastplate-Scimtars
Earth-leather-Spiked Gauntlets
Air-None-Quarterstaff

how bout that? 

This is actually a pretty important point. It makes sense to Avatar fans, but that's not much of an explanation.

In the show Avatar, bending the elements to one's will is an innate ability that must also be honed. To hone that ability, one must physically train. It is not just a matter of the mind -- one's body must be able to guide the elements along. An airbender does a lot of acrobatics, flourishes and sweeps to create gusts of wind; an earthbender takes sturdy martial stances and makes direct, powerful strokes towards its intended targets. To put it short, manipulating the elements in Avatar requires martial training to be good at... but philosophical training to master.

Representing that in D&D would be tough, though. It's true that benders are largely melee combatants, but is it fair to give them a good attack progression along with these fantastical spell-like abilities?

Plus, how dangerous to game balance (out of combat) is it to let elementalists have a-till control over their element? Moving 50 pounds of rock whenever you feel like can be a colossal power. 

As an Avatar fan, I'm gonna offer that there should be Prestige Class-type options for lightningbending, bloodbending, and metalbending. Sadly, there's not much that airbending could have in similarity. Soundbending, I guess. Aang does that a few times.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
As an Avatar fan, I'm gonna offer that there should be Prestige Class-type options for lightningbending, bloodbending, and metalbending. Sadly, there's not much that airbending could have in similarity. Soundbending, I guess. Aang does that a few times.

I am firmly convinced that the airbender specialty move is creating localized explosions.  That's what Sparky Sparky Boom Man is, a secret airbender assassin.  He fires an extremely thin ray of superheated wind that rapidly compresses the air at the target location.  It is the resultant pressure change in the ambient atmosphere that, within milliseconds, explodes outward into the created vacuum.

Or whatever, physics stuff, I don't know.  Science.  I will bet my left kidney that however it works, that is what is really going on there.

Anyway, mark my vote down for the 'no martial arts feat' camp.  Being physically and mentally proficient to punch and manipulate the elements is a big deal for a character, sort of like a full-body workout.  Except full-body-mind-spirit.  Workout.

The point is, it is a big concept, so you'll need to dedicate both your class and your feats (theme/specialty) to fulfilling it.  There should absolutely be melee, ranged, and area manifestations of elemental power, and it should dovetail nicely with the ability to use unarmed strikes or weapon strikes equally.  But leave it just outside the purview of the class.

This is a great idea!  Keep working on it.
Well even as an avatar fan, I have to point out that while yes the bending moves were based on various martial arts which often focus on unarmed combat, most of the time the characters didn't actually punch or kick each other with those moves. The force of the attack came from the elemental onslaught and whether or not the physical motion would have even connected seemed irrelevant.

Ok kane, have you ever played any 3e or pathfinder games? The pathfinder barbarian and the 3e rogue are the best examples I can think of for this.

Instead of having a set progression of abilities I'm suggesting a list of abilities that the player then picks from every couple of levels.

You currently have

1st Pick ability A or ability 1

2nd If you picked abiliy A get ability B, if you PIcked ability 1 get ability 2

3rd  If you picked abiliy A get ability C, if you PIcked ability 1 get ability 3

I'm suggesting

1st pick one ability off list A
2nd Pick another ability off List A
3rd Pick another ability off list A

List A
ability 1
ability 2
ability3
ability 4
ability 5
etc.

EDIT: I suggest you keep the current framework on the front page in the post so it can be edited more easily.

Ok the first thing we need to do is work out the basic stuff, whaty does every member of this class have in common? what are the basic techniques they posses? what impact does element have on these basic abilities (i suggest picking two elements to focus on for starters)?
every member has the choice of one element.
every member can enhance their weapons at some point.
every member gets enhanced mobility of some sort.
every member can "bend" their element.
every member gains new abilities at the same levels.
every member has both melee and casting abilities.
every member is weak against the opposite element. (their ablities cancel out if used with equal force)
every member gets an advanced version of their element at some point.

I like the list idea, but how would that be implemented? they get a different option each time (choice of mobility, armor, or damage)?

so list A would be element, List B would be ability, and List C would be elemental specialization. So one could potentially choose 3A, 4C, 2B, 1B, 2C, 4B? or would they be limited to 1 of A, X of B, and 1 of C? (1 element, 1 specialization, x abilities)

and the impact on abilities would really depend on the element. Air benders would definitely not be able to target specific members of a group well, fire benders would definitely do major damage no matter what, earth benders would take time preparing their abilities, and water benders wouldn't be able to target larger groups (this is speculative, and may change of course)

as for the effect on o.o.combat balance, there would be very little in terms of problems. air benders could do what? cause a breeze? and firebenders wouldn't need flint and steel or torches. earth benders could make simple shelters, and water benders could draw water from the ground. (all of these abilities are already implemented with other classes and races btw)

as for prestige classes, i'd rather they gain the abilities earlier than that even. Tof could metal bend at (imma say) level 5. then again, i may not really understand prestige classes. when do you get to choose one? (i always thought at level 20 lol)

first post updated. 

... now you're over complicating it, one list (though some of the abilities might be marked as specific to or banned from certain elements.

ok couple things

1.) Casting abilities? is that needed? I mean why not stick to the special abilities angle? Frankly casters are a mess right now.

2.) Weak against the opposite element? Is that needed? defining equal force and all that mess is gonna be a pain in the arse and doesn't add anything to the play experience.

3.) What about access to the advanced element? There are many powerful benders who don't use the advanced forms because they were never taught how or are simply unsuitable to wield that aspect of their power. 
ok so the phrasing was off lol

no casting per say. just control of the element.

weak against opposite element can be removed. that was me wanting to populate the list.

the advanced element was the "specialization" i mentioned before. that's why i didn't see it as that complicated (seeing as whatever you choose from list A automatically selected your choice from list C)

my thought was

Path (assault)    
Element<---------- Specialization (a.k.a. advanced element)            
                 Path (armor)  

Ok so the extremely basic stuff is the mobility boosts, the weapon/unarmed damage boost, and the elemental selection.

Ok then

Here's my suggestion, let's work out the elemental boost and mobility boost first, then we'll figure out how the element modifies each of those.

Now I assume these boosts need to scale, do you want them on the same cylce as the later abilities so that they can't be spammed? 
I think movement can't really be spammed per say. how about like 60ft for first level every 3 turns. (this would be super effective for charges too) it could be used continuously for an hour o.o.combat perhaps? dunno how that would be useful, but it could be cool.

also: i think the scale for the damage boost should be a d6 per level, so start with 1d6, then 2-3 levels later 2d6, etc. 

INstead of a turn count I wanna propose alternative anti-spamming options.

Flow/combo rules, in order to use a power you must have used or not used certain powers on the previous turn. The downside is it does put a crimp in the character's power access and ability choices at a given level.

AP rules, you have a set amount of elemental power per turn, and each move costs a certain amount of that to use, this isn't as perfect for anti-spam, but is less complex, ... we could mix it with a short counter (i.e. you can't use a given move until you've waited a turn/spent a few points on meditating/used a different move). 
Sign In to post comments