What are the core/main aesthetics of play that you look for in a campaign?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Maybe I should post a separate poll for DMs exclusively, but nevertheless I'd like to know: what sort of aesthetics of play do you tend to run, or want to see in a campaign?  Note that when I say core or main aesthetics, I mean the aesthetics being highlighted the most; for example, a sleuthing game might have fantasy or abnegation as aesthetics, but they aren't part of the *core* experience, which is more of overcoming mental challenges.

Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Narrative and Expression are my 2 choices.

I weave in everything together but those are the main 2. I also find out what the players want and incorporate that if I can.

Within; Without.

Narrative, but not of the interpersonal dramas. Ick. I also like the fantasy, and helping to come up with awesome justifications and reflavorings for things in the game.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

I ended up checking almost all of the boxes, but limited myself to two in the end for the sake of a better poll - Fantasy and Challenge.

Unlike a miniatures game or a wargame, DnD is more open to creativity and abstract problem solving. Overcoming adversity with unique solutions in a land of limited only by my imagination is what keeps me coming back all these years.  
Overcoming adversity with unique solutions in a land of limited only by my imagination is what keeps me coming back all these years.  

This.

All of the above

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Interesting.  A month later, and I find that the top three aesthetics considered as "core" for Dungeons & Dragons would be Narrative, Discovery and Challenge (in that order) Will this trend continue as the months go by, or will other aesthetics rise as D&D-defining? 
Show

You are Red/Blue!

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Does anyone actually pick domination?
Does anyone actually pick domination?

So far apparently no one has picked "domination", but given the advent of PvP in various [isolated] campaigns, as well as how people would likely try to "game" the system in order to show (subconsciously or otherwise) their superiority over others, it's still a possibility that people would want to think of D&D as a venue for the "domination" aesthetic.

Not that the system actually was designed for it (although 3E's "design monsters as you would PCs" approach does give me suspicions on this). 
Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote: