Year 0 - Weekly Results #1 - 4.1.13 Packet

Cause Fear -  Giving disadvantage to the the saving throws against DC (16 for my 4th level player character) trivializes enemies for too long.

• I'd suggest: If a target takes their action to save - roll w/o disadvantage.

Wand of Magic Missile - for a wizard or cleric arcanist who knows the spell, it does too much damage - Magic Missile spell cast 3 times, with 3 missiles per cast  = 9 missiles, i did 38 damage the first time I used it.

• I'd suggest: Casts magic missile a number of times equal to -1 the highest spell level level you know; IE: 4th level character - 1 cast of magic missile, 3 missiles, costs 3 charge to use.

Flaming Sphere - the aoe effect is mitigated by the lack of consequence for moving around it.  Enemies just sideline it. The sphere requires two player characters to pin down the enemy before the aoe would be effective in most situations.

• I'd suggest: The AOE effect triggers if a target takes an action from a square adjacent, or ends their turn adjacent.

Second, the sphere's movement needs a broader/simpler description.   The DM ruled the sphere lost movement over rubble (difficult terrian), yet it can hurdle 15 ft up or span a 30 ft chasm.

• I'd suggest: The sphere floats and can move 30 ft, ignoring physcial obstacles.

• or: The sphere rolls 30 ft, ignoring physcial obstacles, can hurdle 15 ft up or span a 30 ft chasm.

• or: The sphere floats and can move 30 ft, ignoring physical obstacles, and must end its movement on a solid horizontal surface.

• or: The sphere floats and can move 30 ft, ignoring physical obstacles, and must end its movement on a solid horizontal surface or in a liquid.

thanks

jyk.

Cause Fear -  Giving disadvantage to the the saving throws against DC (16 for my 4th level player character) trivializes enemies for too long.

It also causes them to have the condition "frightened," which gives them disadvantage on attack rolls, too.

Frightened

A frightened creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.

It lasts for 1 minute, which means about 10 rounds, and since most combats in 5E are not lasting 10 rounds, a failed save effectively makes "cause fear" lasts for the encounter.

I hadn't previously thought about it being too long, really, but I can see where someone might feel that way.

It also causes them to have the condition "frightened," which gives them disadvantage on attack rolls, too.

Frightened

A frightened creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.

It lasts for 1 minute, which means about 10 rounds, and since most combats in 5E are not lasting 10 rounds, a failed save effectively makes "cause fear" lasts for the encounter.

I hadn't previously thought about it being too long, really, but I can see where someone might feel that way.

Yes the frightened effect is the meat of spell, which is why the duration need to not be quite as debilitating at 1st lvl - I shutdown 3 enemies; over 5 rounds, they hit once.  15 attacks, 1 hit. 

Althought the spell does not scale well; the higher level combats will be against creature immune being frightened or of a size catagory too big to likely target more than 1, maybe 2 creatures with this spell...

Conversely, enemies at higher levels could destroy a party will this 1st lvl spell.  Which is why it needs revisiting.

Jyk