One Defender in a Group of 5 Glass Cannons. HELP!

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK. So I'm the only front-liner running with a gloom pact hexblade, an assassin, a sorcerer, an invoker, and a bardlock. I've played a few games and this is what I've seen. The hexblade likes to hang back and cast eldritch blast, the assassin likes to lurk until he gets enough shrouds to do a NOVA, the sorcerer blasts away, the invoker blows his dailies on summons in the first encounter and then lays down mostly necrotic powers, and the bardlock uses staggering note almost exclusively (which is kinda cool because I'm usually the only one surrounded by enemies).

Enter me. A paladin. I'm supposed to play the defender but also pack more healing than anyone in the party. This puts me in the strange position of having to choose between healing and marking. In addition, how the heck do I survive an almost constant focus firing from the enemies without eventually having to back off and look like a jerk?

Oh, and one more note... The GM almost always has monsters that target NADs and imposes status effects like daze and immobilize (at level 6).

For now, I'm going to hold back on posting my build. I'd like to see what you guys recommend before railroading the discussion around a certain type. But I will say it's heavy on damage resistance and temporary hit point optimization. And I've added a couple of mobility options to keep the fight from devolving to me being the wall and everyone else standing behind me and shooting over 'the wall.'

Of the defendies, the invoker has 51 hp, the hexblade 48, the bardlock 43, the sorcerer 53, and the assassin 41. Most of their defenses aren't too hot. Of them, the hexblade is most survivable and occassionally comes to the front to fight (but only about 30-40 percent of the time). Otherwise, it's just me.

In general, I'm looking for help both with optimization and with tips for building a character type that prevents battles with this, particularly challenging, group from becoming too static.

Best and thanks in advance!

this isn't an mmo where there's a tank, dps and healer.  You can't and should not expect to be the only one taking damage.  The key to being a defender is to create a catch 22 situation or, if your dm obeys your marks, build towards making your punishment very painful.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

The problem is that most of the party just hangs back and relies on me to tank as if this is an mmo. Truth be, I've never even played one, but quite a few members of the group have, hence their tactics.

Any recs for pali punishment optimization at heroic?
Wooden paddles are nice, but I prefer a riding crop or cat-o'-nine-tails... err, wait, did you mean punishing your party members, or mark enforcement? Tongue Out
Cat o nine sounds about right!

But yes, mark enforcement would be great ;)
this is the part where we ask you to post your build
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Actually I was going to skip right to the part where we tell him he is largely screwed.
Okay, have at...

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Tirna, level 6
Hamadryad, Paladin
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Windlord

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 19, CHA 19

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 16

AC: 24 Fort: 17 Ref: 18 Will: 20
HP: 69 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Diplomacy +14, Heal +12, Insight +12, Religion +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Arcana +2, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance –1, History +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +9, Perception +9, Stealth –1, Streetwise +7, Thievery –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Windlord Attack: Wind Fury Assault
Hamadryad Utility: Hamadryad Aspects
Paladin Feature: Divine Mettle
Paladin Feature: Divine Strength
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Paladin Feature: Lay on Hands
Paladin Attack 1: Bolstering Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin Attack 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin Attack 3: Invigorating Smite
Paladin Attack 5: Name of Might
Paladin Utility 6: Wrath of the Gods

FEATS
Level 1: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 2: Virtuous Recovery
Level 4: Battle Awareness
Level 6: Toughness

ITEMS
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Ebon Plate Armor +1 x1
Heavy Shield x1
Magic Holy Symbol +1 x1
Lifestealer Rapier +1 x1
Gravespawn Potion
Potion of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Healing
Lucky Charm +2 x1
====== End ======

Built character via the builder at level 5. Limited options for item optimization (we have one character with enchant item, but the GM likes to keep his item drops). I can probably retrain if I create a convincing reason for it. And, yes, I know the Hamadryad isn't perfectly optimal.

Adding paddles or cat o nine would be nice

Actually I was going to skip right to the part where we tell him he is largely screwed.

Yeah. Figured...

Well there is a lot going on with that group and there is pretty much no way one player can take up that much slack. Based on your descriptions, nobody is doing much of a job at filling their roles and they want you to fill two roles to make up for it. 
Hexblades need to charge to be optimal, so that is melee.

Sorcerer's need to take Close Burst/Blast/Melee powers to be optimal, so he isn't in the back either.

Invokers have OK summons, but not enough good ones for every encounter, though can work at range.

Assassin. Well in fairness it hardly matters what he does..... but generally not a ranged character.

Bard|Lock, should probably be melee.

So.... I can see where part of the problem is coming from. No one is playing their class to best effect or doing their job. So why should you be able to do yours? 4e is about party cooperation and synergy, and people doing their jobs within their respective roles. A 3.5 striker party with zero of the strikers making striker benchmarks does not achieve that. Add in a controller who probably isn't doing a whole lot of control (up to 4.5 members of the party) and... well, you're left with half a Bard and maybe you who is pulling their weight.

The critical thing to remember is that 4e has an expected power curve. For every party member you add, encounters get harder (increased XP budget). If you add a character who is not doing their job, the encounter is now harder than it would have been without them there at all. So if you running into difficult encounters and the DM is having to pull punches... well now you know why. Fixing it is another matter though.

I'd just roll an Eagle Shaman. Focus on having an all ranged party and enable the RBAs of the Sorc, Hexblade, and (presumably) the Bard|Lock (also possibly the Invoker). You can skip having a defender. Try and convince everyone to take "stay away from me" powers (pushes, slides, prones, slows, immobilize, daze, etc.,).
Well there is a lot going on with that group and there is pretty much no way one player can take up that much slack. Based on your descriptions, nobody is doing much of a job at filling their roles and they want you to fill two roles to make up for it. 

That does seem to be the gist of it. There's a little leaderish stuff spread about. The bardlock is a one trick melee enabler which would be great if we had a slayer or a barbarian with a strong mba to stand up front with me. At least I could gain a bit of decent mark fodder to work with there. He also has one majestic word per encounter. No other visible heals. The hexblade took a healing feat and that's it. So, yeah, I'm both healing and marking and it's pretty tough.

Most battles end up in a kind of spagetti string formation with me at the front and everyone else strung out behind me. It's very strange because I've never seen a D&D group so melee adverse. Usually there's this lust for stepping in and smashing something. Not these guys.

I've managed to survive so far by being able to get THP and resistance stacking. But it's not easy. The last game session I was down to 0 healing surges after 2 fights and using my second winds and all my lay on hands in both combats. At the end of fight 2, I charged off the front line to attack an enemy that had gotten into the back-field. This opened up the encounter and forced everyone else to fight more directly. The assassin got knocked down to zero in about a round and a half, but I healed her with an invigorating smite which gave her another half round. The invoker went to zero pretty soon after. Ironically, they had 4 and 5 healing surges remaining, but no way to use them. No TPK, but I heard a lot of grumbling when I shifted away from front line punishment soaker.

Tough nut to crack...

Hexblades need to charge to be optimal, so that is melee.

Sorcerer's need to take Close Burst/Blast/Melee powers to be optimal, so he isn't in the back either.

Invokers have OK summons, but not enough good ones for every encounter, though can work at range.

Assassin. Well in fairness it hardly matters what he does..... but generally not a ranged character.

Bard|Lock, should probably be melee.

So.... I can see where part of the problem is coming from. No one is playing their class to best effect or doing their job. So why should you be able to do yours? 4e is about party cooperation and synergy, and people doing their jobs within their respective roles. A 3.5 striker party with zero of the strikers making striker benchmarks does not achieve that. Add in a controller who probably isn't doing a whole lot of control (up to 4.5 members of the party) and... well, you're left with half a Bard and maybe you who is pulling their weight.

The critical thing to remember is that 4e has an expected power curve. For every party member you add, encounters get harder (increased XP budget). If you add a character who is not doing their job, the encounter is now harder than it would have been without them there at all. So if you running into difficult encounters and the DM is having to pull punches... well now you know why. Fixing it is another matter though.

I'd just roll an Eagle Shaman. Focus on having an all ranged party and enable the RBAs of the Sorc, Hexblade, and (presumably) the Bard|Lock (also possibly the Invoker). You can skip having a defender. Try and convince everyone to take "stay away from me" powers (pushes, slides, prones, slows, immobilize, daze, etc.,).

The bardlock does not melee at all, the sorcerer primarily relies on ranged attacks, not blasts and bursts (and doesn't even have Slaad's Gambit, which was a head-scratcher for me, especially with only one defender), no charging for the hexblade who has double multi-classed assassin to produce one NOVA per combat and then go back to semi-optimal ranged damage, he does come forward to use his flail now and then, and, yeah, the invoker uses almost all necrotic powers in addition to his summons (which are gone pretty quick), and, yeah, the assassin mostly lurks until he can get a powerful strike in.

Unfortunately, there's very little in the way of push powers. The bardlock does have world serpent's grasp, at least. And the invoker has an at-will that slows. So that's something. I don't know, maybe I can convince him to melee a bit more.

Will definitely use some google-fu on that eagle shaman. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unless all of your fights are taking place in a one square wide corridor, your DM is taking it easy on you. With the number of monsters that should be on the board vs a six man party, there is no way you should be able to stop all of team monster. I've DM'd against a Pally and, at least at lower levels, as long as I'm willing to soak the damage from DC/DS there is very little to stop me from simply ignoring him and going after squishy targets. Sure I'll take some damage, but odds are I'm putting a much bigger hurt on the PC. Also, how do you deal with ranged attackers? In a decent encounter mix the enemy melee should have you tied up while their ranged attackers chew up the rest of the party. 
Unless all of your fights are taking place in a one square wide corridor, your DM is taking it easy on you. With the number of monsters that should be on the board vs a six man party, there is no way you should be able to stop all of team monster. I've DM'd against a Pally and, at least at lower levels, as long as I'm willing to soak the damage from DC/DS there is very little to stop me from simply ignoring him and going after squishy targets. Sure I'll take some damage, but odds are I'm putting a much bigger hurt on the PC. Also, how do you deal with ranged attackers? In a decent encounter mix the enemy melee should have you tied up while their ranged attackers chew up the rest of the party. 

Round 1:

Move. Use wind fury to fly over the front line and harry the ranged attacker (s) with a hit and a mark.

Round 2:

Use valorous smite to pull the front line back to me if within 3.

This gets me killed pretty fast, but it seems to draw a lot of heat and hit an artillery piece if I need to. And, no the gm doesn't obey all my marks. But he does seem to love focus firing on me. So I guess he's just taking it easy on everyone else?

Also, I did take MC fighter which adds a bit of minimal stickiness, but not much.

I like that you've embraced your role as whipping boy, but it needs to be everybody else in the party starting threads here moreso than you
Cat o nine sounds about right!

But yes, mark enforcement would be great ;)

Honestly, sounds like beating your party into being willing and able to take a few hits might be more useful to you. Tongue Out

Honestly, sounds like beating your party into being willing and able to take a few hits might be more useful to you.

This. Strikers and controllers who end their day with more than 2 healing surges (I'd even say more than zero) are not heroes. They are wimps who mistakenly think an adventurer is someone who hangs back and shoots arrows/magic missiles while their bodyguard takes the heat. Also, players who think they need to end the day with all their surges are doing it wrong, from the game's perspective.

Educate them in this, and hopefully see their behavior change.
It is not possible for one single character in a group of 6 to cancel a whole bunch of bad choices made by the other 5 players. The party as it is doesn't have enough healings, enough damage, enough sustainability.

That said, a hybrid Fighter|Cleric (STR/WIS) might be able to be

1. tough, protecting himself

2. sticky, protecting others

3. able to heal a bit

4. able to dish out some damage

If there is the need, I might be able to post a build, but there are several other forum members who are more skilled than me.

Honestly I think the best thing you can do for your party is to make a proper ranged character and stand behind them.

Maybe some kind of wizard or warlock or Headspin type that imposes large penalties to hit on multiple enemies would be effective. Let them take some hits. If they survive, you've done your job. If they don't, odds are their new character will be an improvement.
Tell your party "Hey guys, I need someone else standing up here with me, I'm getting overwhelmed." I can't imagine the entire table saying "No, screw you." Somebody will change up the way they play, and you'll be fine. As already mentioned, nearly everyone at your table has tools to be up front, and be more effective anyway.
I think I agree you are best off giving up trying to defend for this group since they expect too much from you.  

I would probably go with a hybrid ranged leader build that debuffs enemies attacks/boosts allies defenses and who can enable.  Some combination of Hybrid artificer, shaman, cleric, or warlord.  Dwarf Oghma warpriest or other dizzying mace implement build that is toughened up more if you want to stick to melee could work.
Tell them you have decided to defend by making a perma-stealth character and then disappear at the start of combat.
Reminds me of the Void Defender:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
I'd have a serious talk with your DM.  As a defender your job is to harass 1 or 2 select enemies to make them take notice of you.  You can't be expected to pull all enemies in on you.  Any DM I have known would respect a request to roleplay a battle better if approached the right way.  A pack of enemies will likely see that a group of 2-3 has got you pinned down and try to charge the other hard hitters further back.  If you are doing too good of job of being a wall, there is always teleportation that your DM could tack on as an effect to a monster to get around you and get to those squishy strikers.  Even the biggest jerk DMs I have played with will thank you for pointing out that the other members of your team aren't getting enough punishment.

Also when this mob is surrounding you, they are invariably trying to flank you.  You should suggest to the hexblade at that point that its a great time to get in there as he will likely have a chance to flank THEM using you as the other side.

My favorite part about 4E is the teamwork and the roles that you can play to support the team.  Your team is clearly broken, to deal with that brokenness, I would suggest you give up the healing leader half of your role and watch as your team comes to the conclusion that one of those recently deceased strikers (that couldn't be healed by the busy paladin) should roll up a new leader.
At some point, you're going down and out, even if your Lay On Hands is an Encounter power, which it sure as heck isn't.

Anyway, your build is quite heavily screwed with both the DM and the Party being that way. Though it isn't really the DM's fault.

Here's what you can try out, assuming you don't want to rebuild a Character (which I would highly recommend.
Twin Striking Ranger with a Greatbow is always great for showing who can be the furthest behind, lol, let's see who can be the most yellow!)

You might want to hint to your DM also that the party is too difficult to defend for, at least he will appreciate a hint if what you might do will TPK the party.
Talk to your DM, and ask to rebuild based on a STR / WIS build. This gives you better NADs to get by.
Your Heavy Shield will have to cover up your crap Reflex (only to a limited extent).
I'd suggest dropping the Lifestealer Rapier, go with something more useful.
You're not likely to be killing anything anyway, and between Bolstering Strike, Ebon Plate, you should be OK.
Weapon of Long Range (Javelin) might be funky for what we're about to try. -1 Attack -1 Dicesize is not a big deal to a non-Striker.

Basically, start every Encounter you mark, prepare to soak up damage (Hamadryads etc).
When all is done, you've used 0-1 Lay on Hands, and/or 2 Surges (whatever your own KPI for your Surges used thanks to the Bard's Heal).
Then Shift and Move away from the Frontline. (Watch your party members gawk )
You can drop your Divine Challenge before this Turn, so that the next Turn you can Divine Challenge someone, move away, and then shoot with your Javelin.

From here, after 2 Rounds, you should be able to set up a nice 15-20 squares behind the enemies to shoot in relative safety.
This should be further than most of your allies, Eldritch Blast is only 10.
Since you're not marking, I sincerely doubt the DM would go after you.

If you can maintain a Mark as well, that works since you can maintain the mark by attacking the marked enemy with Javelin RBA.
And that BTW, is why you need STR.

====================

I won't be commenting on who should be in front, btw. The party sounds squishy, especially the Assassin.
Yet DPS should be running DPS, and in your case sounds like your time in front is very limited, so they should be doing their maximum damage at all times.

Note that a Party can get by with a few Armored Leader / Strikers.
There's no absolute need for a Defender, but people have to know how to take their "time" in front, which I think is the real problem.

I've tried building parties to get through Lair Assaults, building nothing but Leaders and Strikers.
But everyone should have relatively high defenses, and try, for the love of God, avoid the HP 4 Classes...

I am Blue/White

This isn't op advice directly but is a way to keep doing what your party is doing while having it suck less.  Make it a party tactic that each battle a different character will stand up front with you.  This gives you someone to defend more directly and makes the front line more robust, which should make your mark trigger more effective and maybe everyone learns something about what they actually be doing.  This should eventually result in the party using healing resources better with everyone contributing surge uses, increase party damage, and convince players to make what will be better feat/power choices.
Let's look at what seems likely to be happening here regardless of your party's composition:
You mark a bunch of targets.
The DM then obeys all marks regardless of whether or not that's a tactically good idea.

So what you need to do is increase the punishment in trying taking you down and encouraging the DM to disobey your mark. Virtuous Recovery and Wooden Form are a good start, but I'd do the following:
Switch theme to Elemental Initiate(reactive attack upon being missed) or Ironwrought(make sure to land Valorous Smite+some resist when bloodied)
Switch Bolstering Strike into Enfeebling Strike. This will cause you or your friends to be missed.
Change Battle Awareness into Battlewise - yes, you'll lose the occasional MBA, but at the same time, you'll get more attacks off in combat and it encourages your DM to disobey your mark. Which would be good if it happened more.
Make your Str/Con 12 each. This way, you'll get an extra healing surge - if you hit 11th, then you can pick up Battle Awareness and retrain Battlewise into Wary Fighter for the extra bonuses.
Make Toughness into Superior Will. It might hurt to lose the 5 hp, but it sounds as if avoiding Daze ought to be something of a priority for you. 
Bless Weapon into Divine Counter or Vice's Reward - this will save you that 5 hp(or more) on an encounter basis.
I am a defender player too, I have played everything from Tanky Healers to Tanky DPS to every true Defenders class (except Swordmage) and Let me tell you. At first I was the same as you, thinking I needed to take every bit of damage for the team and thinking I need to have every single monster focus me.

Over time I realized that I honestly don't need to bother doing all the extra work, Your default tanking abilities such as marks and mark punishment gives you enough incentive for the monster to attack you (assuming your character is properly optimized), so you really do not need to go out of you way to make the punishment insanely broken. Usually even the default amount is enough, If the DM still refuses to focus you with the default amount of punishment, just say screw it and more or less do what you want. Defender damage is lower than Striker but it isn't by much and often times its higher than default striker if the monsters are constantly being marked punished

Remember its not your job to take every single bit of damage, its not your job to make every monster focus you, and its not your fault that everyone on your team chose to be a squishie

Your team chose to leave you flapping in the wind, they abaddoned you in the front lines. So do the same for the same for them
Step 1: Retire your Defender for a while. Say he's staying in town to protect the villagers.

Step 2: Roll up an Archer Ranger, Cunning Rogue, Skirmisher Warlord, or anything else that lets you fight from 20+ squares away.

Step 3: Watch them all die horribly.

Step 4: Bring back your Defender and ask them what they've learned.

Wednesday Character:

Dredge, Level 2 Revenant!Githzerai Night Stalker Assassin

Show

Dredge, level 2
Revenant, Assassin
Build: Night Stalker Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker
Assassin: Black Flame Form
Choose your Race in Life: Githzerai
Background: Silent Hunter (Silent Hunter Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 18 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 29 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +12, Thievery +11, Bluff +10, Acrobatics +11, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +5, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +7, Nature +2, Religion +2, Streetwise +5, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: Ki Focus Expertise

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Executioner's Noose
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death
Assassin utility 2: Agile Recovery

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Bastard sword, Light Shield, Flensing Fullblade +1, Helm of Seven Deaths, Magic Ki Focus +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Friday Character:

Snow, Level 3 Razorclaw Shifter Flashing Blade Scout

Show

Snow, level 3
Razorclaw Shifter, Scout
Two-Weapon Style: Flashing Blade Mastery
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Ambush Expertise
Ranger Wilderness Knacks: Watchful Rest
Background: River Smuggler (River Smuggler Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 20, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 18 Will: 16
HP: 37 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +10, Perception +10, Streetwise +8, Acrobatics +13, Stealth +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +2, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +2, Insight +5, Intimidate +2, Religion +2, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Feat User Choice: Spiked Chain Training
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Charging Ram
Scout aspect of the wild (scout) 1: Aspect of the Dancing Serpent
Level 2 Scout Utility Power: Invigorating Stride

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Sack (8), Relentless Spiked chain +1, Dagger, Quickhit Braces (heroic tier)

Saturday Characters:

Vorgh, Level 15 Human Storm Sorcerer|Blizzard Mage

Show

Vorgh, level 15
Human, Sorcerer, Blizzard Mage
Build: Storm Sorcerer
Spell Source: Storm Magic
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Windrise Ports Benefit: Windrise Ports (Acrobatics)
Arcane Admixture Power: Flame Spiral
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 20, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 24.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

AC: 28 Fort: 26 Reflex: 29 Will: 33
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +21, Arcana +15, Acrobatics +19, Bluff +21, Insight +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +14, Heal +13, History +12, Intimidate +18, Nature +13, Perception +13, Religion +12, Stealth +16, Streetwise +18, Thievery +16, Athletics +10

FEATS
Human: Staff Expertise
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 6: Grounding Shot
Level 8: Unarmored Agility
Level 10: Against All Odds (retrained to Repel Charge at Level 11)
Level 11: War Wizardry
Level 12: Jack of All Trades
Level 14: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Power User Choice: Eldritch Strike
Primordial Adept Starting Feature: Solkara's Wave
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Ice Dragon's Teeth
Ring of Borrowed Spells: Earthquake Strike
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar
Sorcerer daily 1: Ice Javelins
Sorcerer utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle
Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer daily 5: Palest Flames
Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm
Sorcerer daily 9: Howling Hurricane
Sorcerer utility 10: Narrow Escape
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder Breath (replaces Thundering Roar)
Sorcerer daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Ice Javelins)

ITEMS
Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Helm of Seven Deaths, Rhythm Blade Dagger +2, Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of Fury (paragon tier), Raven Cloak +3, Staff of Ruin +3, Robe of Defying Flames Githweave Armor +3, Gloves of Ice (paragon tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Ring of Borrowed Spells, Fundamental Ice (heroic tier) (5), Foe Stone (paragon tier)

Sheska, Level 15 Human Brawler Fighter|Shock Trooper

Show

Sheska, level 15
Human, Fighter, Shock Trooper
Build: Guardian Fighter
Fighter: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
Background: Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 34 Reflex: 27 Will: 29
HP: 112 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 29

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +13, Endurance +15, Heal +19, Athletics +21, History +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Arcana +11, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +14, Insight +14, Nature +14, Perception +14, Religion +11, Stealth +12, Streetwise +8, Thievery +12

FEATS
Human: Master at Arms
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
Level 4: Brawler Guard
Level 6: Inescapable Hold
Level 8: Focused Superiority (retrained to Striking Resurgence at Level 11)
Level 10: Brutal Brawler
Level 11: Deft Hurler Style
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Scale)
Level 14: Marked Scourge

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
Power User Choice: Direct the Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
Fighter utility 2: Pass Forward
Fighter encounter 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter daily 5: Rain of Steel
Fighter utility 6: Glowering Threat
Fighter encounter 7: Come and Get It
Fighter daily 9: Pitiless Grapple
Fighter utility 10: Clearheaded
Fighter encounter 13: Stranglehold (replaces Steel Serpent Strike)
Fighter daily 15: Dust Storm Assault (replaces Driving Attack)

ITEMS
Power Jewel (heroic tier), Battle-Scarred Champion (heroic tier), Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Davros Elden's Hasty Resurgence (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Frozen Wyvernscale Armor +3, Spiked gauntlet of Great Opportunity +2, Pileus Helm (Level 6), Rope of Slave Fighting (heroic tier), Battlestrider Greaves (paragon tier), Lightning Javelin +3, Amulet of False Life +3, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds

Mari, Level 15 Human Archery Ranger|Battlefield Archer

Show

Mari, level 15
Human, Ranger, Battlefield Archer
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger: Prime Shot
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 16, Dex 24, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 15, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 13.

AC: 32 Fort: 28 Reflex: 31 Will: 28
HP: 98 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +19, Nature +19, Stealth +22, Dungeoneering +19, Acrobatics +21, Perception +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +12, Heal +14, History +10, Insight +14, Intimidate +11, Religion +10, Streetwise +11, Thievery +16, Athletics +8

FEATS
Human: Weapon Proficiency (Superior crossbow)
Level 1: Crossbow Expertise
Level 2: Improved Defenses
Level 4: Predatory Action
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Crossbow)
Level 8: Lethal Hunter
Level 10: Grounding Shot
Level 11: Steady Shooter
Level 12: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 14: Shadow of the Wild

POWERS
Power User Choice: Rapid Shot
Ranger at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger encounter 1: Two-Fanged Strike
Ranger daily 1: Sure Shot
Ranger utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Ranger utility 6: Healing Lore
Ranger encounter 7: Biting Volley
Ranger daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger utility 10: Defensive Volley
Ranger encounter 13: Pinning Strike (replaces Two-Fanged Strike)
Ranger daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Sure Shot)

ITEMS
Swiftshot Superior crossbow +3, Feytouched Earthhide Armor +3, Cloak of Distortion +3, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Ioun's Revelation (level 3), Crimson Determination (heroic tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier), Tattoo of Bloodied Chains (heroic tier), Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Endless Quiver, Lightning Arrow +2 (4), Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Stone of Wind (paragon tier)

Sunday Character:

Bowen, Level 1 Half-Elf Euphoric Ardent

Show

Bowen, level 1
Half-Elf, Ardent
Build: Euphoric Ardent
Ardent Mantle: Mantle of Elation
Half-Elf Power Selection: Knack for Success
Background: Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy (Trained from Birth for a Specific Prophecy Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 18, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 18.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 16
HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Endurance +8, Diplomacy +12, Insight +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Arcana +1, Bluff +5, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Intimidate +5, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +1, Thievery +1, Athletics -2

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training

POWERS
Ardent at-will 1: Intent Laid Bare
Ardent at-will 1: Energizing Strike
Ardent daily 1: Battleborn Acuity

ITEMS
Falchion, Hide Armor

Sign In to post comments