4/25/2013 Feature: "Outlining the 2013-14 Premier Play Season"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's "Outlining the 2013-14 Premier Play Season", which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
My involvement with "Premier Play" is limited to spectating, but this seems to address basically every issue I've seen talked about in Magic articles lately in sensible ways, often in more or less exactly the ways that people who *are* very involved have been suggesting.

Am I missing something, or is this just an awesome announcement?
I don't have any complaints about what was announced. However, they still need to update the Grand Prix prize structure. Currently, a 2500+ tournament pays out the same as a 500 person tournament, which should not be the case. It doesn't need to be entirely based off of attendance, but there should at least be levels where the payout increases.

It was a bit frustrating playing in Charlotte, making Day 2 and going 5-3 on Day 2 and walking away with nothing. Wizards wants these tournaments to keep growing, but for the tournament players, more people is bad news. 
My involvement with "Premier Play" is limited to spectating, but this seems to address basically every issue I've seen talked about in Magic articles lately in sensible ways, often in more or less exactly the ways that people who *are* very involved have been suggesting.

Am I missing something, or is this just an awesome announcement?

I agree. I am also a spectator, and support these changes. Implementing logical changes closely based on actual feedback from top pros makes a lot of sense. The changes were backed up by hard data in many cases. Silver level giving an invite to the pro tour seems like a nice change-up from almost got there sponsers exemptions, although I must admit that the sponsers people generally did quite well. With the additional pro tour, the increase in pro points/level shouldnt impact the number of pros/level too much. 

I like the fact that everyone with 39 points gets an invite from grand prix, and im on the fence about prize/benefits scaling with attendence. For every benefit added, they have to take one away (approximately speaking). Of course more prize seems good, but what benefit would be lost to get that? 
im on the fence about prize/benefits scaling with attendence. For every benefit added, they have to take one away (approximately speaking). Of course more prize seems good, but what benefit would be lost to get that? 

There shouldn't be any beneits being taken away since we're only talking about giving benefits when attendence scales up.
There should be more prize support for gps over a certain number. Say everyone making day 2 after top 64 getting $100.

For gp charlotte that adds 240 people getting $24000 combined which is covered by 600  people entering the event (@$40) which had 2674 people playing.

Mind you limited gps in europe cost €50($64) while constructed cost €35 ($50) so a little more prize support would be appreciated at events over 1200-1800 participants.
GP strasbourg would have been 108 people getting $10800 which is covered by 218 people entering the event (1300+ attendence) so my suggestion scales quite well at first glance

If attendance continues to rise this is something i'd like to see introduced in premier play.