Adventure Suggestions - 2nd edition AD&D

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
So here's my situation.

I'm running a 2nd edition AD&D Greyhawk campaign, set in the Grand Duchy of Geoff in 578 CY (so, pre-war).

We're on the party's third adventure, one which a buddy of mine wrote as a prelude to Expedition to the Barrier Peaks in which the PC's find some caves filled with mold-men.

One of the PC's, a dwarf fighter-cleric, has died and been reborn as a mold-man.

I had an adventure planned for (most likely) the party's fifth adventure that centered entirely around that dwarf. I have considered finding some roundabout way to get the PC's involved in it anyway, but I'm also looking at the possibility of dropping it altogether and running a different module.

I'd like to find something premade that I can run (even if I have to do some rewriting to fit it into the campaign) since I am currently scrambling to get the next adventure written and don't have a lot of free time to write something from scratch.

So I'm looking for suggestions of a premade module (whether it was sold as a module, appeard in Dungeon, or is something someone else has written and is willing to share) to run for these guys.

The current party consists of an elf bard, two human fighters, an a human wizard. The player who was running the dwarf is going to be replacing him with either a druid or a priest of Trithereon. Probably a half elf. The party alignment is slightly skewed toward chaotic good. They have no problem breaking the law for the right reasons (and some of them have a real problem with authority).

They will probably be between levels 4-5 by then... the bard may even be 6th.

So basically I'm looking for anything fun and exciting in that level range that you think might be suitable for such a party. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Fire away.
I'm a bit confuzzled. I admit it's been a couple of decades since I looked at AD&D... but I seem to recall "bard" being a sort of multiclass 5th level fighter/5th level thief then bard...  are you sure you're talking about AD&D? "Bard" didn't become a class unto it's own (ie "sixth level") until 3.x
I'm a bit confuzzled. I admit it's been a couple of decades since I looked at AD&D... but I seem to recall "bard" being a sort of multiclass 5th level fighter/5th level thief then bard...  are you sure you're talking about AD&D? "Bard" didn't become a class unto it's own (ie "sixth level") until 3.x

Bard is indeed a PC class in the AD&D 2e Player's Handbook.
I know there are/were a lot of them in Dungeon that could fill that requirement but sadly it has been years since I've read them.

I really liked the FR module "The Wyrmskull (or Dragonskull?) Throne. Iirc, there's nothing in there that is FR campaign-specific; it just requires a large body of water.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I really liked the FR module "The Wyrmskull (or Dragonskull?) Throne. Iirc, there's nothing in there that is FR campaign-specific; it just requires a large body of water.

That's the one that was a companion to the "Sea of Fallen Stars" sourcebook, yeah? I haven't read the adventure (I do have the sourcebook, though) but will see if I can get my hands on a copy.

There aren't any large bodies of water in or near Geoff, but I'm planning to run White Plume Mt. which will take them past the Nyr Dyv, so I could work it in that way if I do use it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't know if it was a companion, but it did take place in the Sea, yeah. Iirc, it's designed for characters ~5-6 level.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Maybe something role play intensive like a political thriller where the Duke's brother tries a coup or something. Set up a few sessions where the PCs gain access to the court.

Mike
One of the most potentially lethal adventures for low-mid level characters was called Tallow's Deep and it was published in Dungeon magazine Issue #18. I still have that issue & I plan on using it in my own 1st Edition Greyhawk or FR campaigns in the near future.

It centers on a silver mine in the mountains just outside a small boom town called Tallow's Post. My own vision of the town is a lot like Deadwood with rough miners, crooked innkeepers and very little in the way of law & order.

The problem is that the mine has been shut down due to goblin attacks.

The miners ended up digging into a goblin warren and let me just say, the little fellas really have their act together in terms of fiendish traps, collapsing tunnels and ambush tactics.

Their tunnels are roughly dug for the comfort and ease of movement for goblins NOT humans.

A band of tough halflings would do far better in this place than humans or even elves and dwarves. The place is cramped, twisted, littered with murder holes and infested with some of the meanest goblins you will ever encounter!

Unless the party is VERY stealthy and VERY careful from the outset, I can almost guarantee some casualties if not a TPK.

It's written for characters level 4-7 but they could be 8-10 and still have a tough time, especially if they're stupid.

I used to run into problems as a DM like you had with the dwarf character until I learned a valuable lesson & tried not to tell too much of a story and just sort of let the story write itself. Easier said than done in some instances, especially if you want to avoid endless one-off adventures which can't seem to connect in any logical way.

But I digress.

I don't know if Tallow's Deep is available online anywhere but a word of caution if you plan to run it.

LOTS and LOTS of prep-time.

I mean read it, read it and read it again.

Then make a notebook with plenty of maps (They provide some excellent maps not only of the dungeon but also of the more intricate rooms and traps the goblins have contrived.) and as you're reading it again, take extensive notes and add your own details to fit your campaign.

The town of Tallow's Post is barely described but with the Deadwood idea, it could be an adventure in itself with just a dozen or so buildings and about 50-100 inhabitants.

The goblins will not openly engage anyone until they have been considerably weakened. They call themselves the Skullcrushers due to a large room (one of the few bigger rooms in the dungeon) where the party is forced to run a gauntlet while the goblins drop massive boulders on their heads.

I highly recommend a large scale map of this room along with minis for thi particular encounter if not for the whole dungeon.

Simply put, the guys that wrote this adventure are brilliant and the players will be challenged by goblins who fight like goblins and not as 1-1 HD wimpy cousins of the orc.

On another note, one thing I highly suggest you try is coming up with about 6 or so "one page dungeons" which you can pull out of a folder & use as filler during your main campaign.

The journey to the Barrier Peaks can be just as much fun as the module itself.

I'm sure there are caves in the mountains, barrows in the hills, massive, hollow trees in the forest and crumbling ruins seen at a distance across the open plains. These don't have to be anything significant to the campaign itself or maybe they could be.

But a troll cave (like in the Hobbit), a burial mound full of ghouls & ghasts (Use wights if you're an evil DM or your players are in need of a real spanking and you'd like to stick with the Tolkien theme here) or a bunch of spiders in the woods (Tolkien again) can all prove to be a rewarding challenge.

None of these encounters were epic in Bilbo's or Frodo's endeavors but they became epic with the whole story.

I have reems of scribbled notes & maps that I keep in various graph paper notebooks that I got on sale at Borders when it went out of business & I wish I'd have gotten a few more. They're SO handy and I am filling several of them up with nothing but One Page Dungeons. 

I throw these in with any campaign and let the story write itself. It works SO well, I don't know why I didn't do this years ago!

Best of luck! Let me know if I can help with any ideas!

Keep it Old School my friend!

Dungeonmaster314

Never seen you around Dungeonmaster314, but well done! That's one of the most intelligent, well contrived and enlightened posts I've seen here on the forums in months! Great advice, great technique, and no resorting to farfetched unneeded races or classes; Pure and simple classic D&D. 

You'd be a welcome addition to our table!

Neue 
Well met & THANK YOU!

I really appreciate the kind words my friend!

While I know I'm an old fuddy-duddy, set in my ways, (Very old school, still using 1st Edition AD&D with some house rules & tweaks borrowed from 2E & OD&D) I feel with 30+ years in the hobby, I have a thing or two I might offer anybody who is having "DM's block" or who is just looking for a nifty idea for their game.

I have to say, I love AD&D. I am also a HUGE fan of Traveler, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Superheroes, Paranoia, Gamma World, Rifts (Probably my least favorite system as far as game mechanics but some of the ideas are pretty mind-blowing.) Star Wars, Star Trek, Star Fleet Battles, Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, Warhammer FRPG, (Old School version.) Twilight 2000, (Very dated by now & I haven't played in years but it was certainly fun.) Boot Hill and numerous board games. I played Magic the Gathering in the early 90's and I enjoyed it but not enough to buy decks for myself.

But out of everything we play or have played, I always come home to AD&D.

We have a player n our group that is running Pathfinder and I even play that. I've told him I don't like the system and gave him all my reasons but since he spent hard currency on the books & he's just a youngster (Actually he's in his 30's but he's very new to gaming.) I will play his game & do my best since it's all about friends and fun here.

The edition war stuff comes out after we finish a session. LOL!

Seriously, I try to avoid the Edition Wars since it can be summed up this way in my opinion.

My friends and I get together to game because we enjoy each other's company, eating some elaborate meal I've grilled up (Actually made octopus & calamari when we played CoC once.) and challenging one another with various scenarios for our characters in whatever game we're playing.

I DM mostly for AD&D although we have one guy who occasionally DMs but he recently announced his intention to shelve D&D awhile in lieu of running Traveler. I love Traveler & he's very gifted with that game but he's also VERY good with D&D & I sure would love to play once in awhile.

SIGH.

Anyway, we old timers might seem cranky & unyielding and certainly we are not politically correct but it works for us and we have an amazing time!

Which is what this is all about.

I don't understand why so many people get butt-hurt about most of the stuff we discuss.

I'm very grateful for this forum & others like Dragonsfoot where we can all share our thoughts & ideas about the things we really enjoy!

Happy gaming my friend!

Stay in touch!

Dungeonmaster314

Doesn't the main page have an archive which incudes some second edition stuff as pdf's? I'm self taught on the computer and have trouble posting links,perhaps a more comp-lit person could help?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.

I checked and from what I could tell, the Dungeon archive on the main page doesn't go back to the issue with Tallow's Deep....

Maybe perhaps I'm not as computer literate as I should be. Very good possibility.

Dungeon Mag changed ownership since then, I think radically from TSR to Paizo. It's not going to be within copyrights now. I might have the companies wrong, but I know the owners changed.
Considering how much WotC supports its own previous editions I find it extremely unlikely to have any of the old Dungeon or Dragon Magazines produced by TSR redily available.  I believe Paizo has most of its issues available as PDFs but I can't get to their website right now to check.
I once made up a story similar to the one Dungeonmaster314 describes, but with kobolds and a red dragon they worshipped as a god.

Level 1 kobold sorcerers with magic missile are a threat to any party if you have enough of them...
Some half dragon kobold fun can als be had, it's useful if some of the monsters can fly.

The whole thing was inspired by a gold mine I visited.

Please note that theses were players ~level12 in DnD 3.5 fighting level 1 enemies for the most part. Even if the enemies had the advantage of traps, murder holes and lot's of other tricks to even the odds they were more of a challenge in the mind of the players than in reality. The players ran away and retreated several times fearing for their lives.

It all went according to plan until the players started tunnelling themselves after a few sessions and basically made a back door into the whole mining complex. Now of course the complex was designed to handle attack and defense from any direction to a certain extent, the most elaborate defences were in the outward facing parts though. After that the kobolds were slowly losing ground and would have eventually lost.

But then the dragon showed up for his weekly worshipping which included lots of gifts of gold. The players tracked him back to his lair, killed him and showed his head to the kobolds. The kobolds then fled from these godslayers.

I hadn't really set it up to end like that, but after a few sessions I was running out of ideas any way, so it was a fine end to the adventure.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

Dungeonmaster314,

Thanks for the advice, I will see if I can dig up that one. I've got a ton of Dungeon mags kicking around so I probably have it.

I've been DMing quite a long time (started with basic, 1e, and 2e... DMed 3.5 a bit, hated it, finally found a group willing to play 2e again) so a lot of your comments are things I have learned well over the years (good stuff though, of course).

I'm with you on the "don't bother trying to plan a big story" thing - I do generally have a stack of adventures I'd like to run, and I do have world events going on as a backdrop (the campaign will hopefully last long enough to get to the Greyhawk Wars), but I'm a firm believer in the idea that the players are the ones who should be driving the story, and where they go and what they do is up to them. That said, I do usually find ways to lure them where I want them.

I tend to do alot of adventure writing throughout the course of the campaign, as the players come up with things they want to do. But when and where I can I like to make use of publsihed adventures just to save myself some time, and because some of them are really great. We started off with Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and I'm really hoping to use White Plume Mountain and Tsojcanth. I'm actually not planning to use Barrier Peaks, though... I think the scifi stuff would be a poor fit for this campaign and this group of players.

danddadventures.com had a lot of ancient stuff and rarely updates it. Spelljammer.org has some 2 ed stuff and had pdf.s of sailing ships. Good for a pirate or age of exploration campaign.

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.