Card of the Week 17: 4/23/13 - 4/29/13

60 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

4/23/13 - 4/29/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Last week HairlessThoctar puts together this little number:

Ill Tidings

Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3
-----
2/5/13 - 2/11/13 Detektor

Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?
-----
2/12/13 - 2/18/13 turnip_song; Arazlam; SimpleDreams

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.
-----
2/26/13 - 3/4/13 Arazlam

Timithy Spirit |
Creature - Spirit Illusion - (C)
Timithy Spirit can't attack or block unless it has another ability.
2/2
-----
3/5/13 - 3/11/13 Kavu_Overlord

Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1
-----
3/12/13 - 3/18/13 HairlessThoctar; febbstalicious42; Rush_Clasic

Cruel Mercy

Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a card revealed this way. That player discards another card.

Iridescent Anchor -- 
Creature - Spirit Illusion
As long as Iridescent Anchor is not a card, it gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof.
A successful wizard has the power to make his dreams real. A wise wizard fears to.
2/3

Social Studies
Sorcery
Each player who controls a creature with trample draws a card. Repeat this process for deathtouch, defender, flash, haste, hexproof, intimidate, landwalk, reach, and vigilance.
"What measure is the knowledge of a single mind versus that of the whole world?"
- Ro, Wirewood shaman

-----
3/19/13 - 3/25/13 by 3-7-15-1-292

Heroic Stand 
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."
-----
3/26/13 - 4/1/13 by Detektor

Scale Sprite 
Creature - Insect Faerie
Flying
Scale Sprite deals damage to creatures in the form of size counters. (Creatures with size counters on them are X/X, where X is the number of size counters on them.)
"What size do you want to be?" it asked.
"Oh, I'm not particular as to size," Alice hastily replied; "only one doesn't like changing so often, you know."

1/1
-----
4/2/13 - 4/8/13 by magicpablo666

Sketch 
Enchantment
Sketch enters the battlefield as a copy of target creature, except that it is not a creature.

"What exactly am I looking at here?" 
- Pola Reiszen, Master Instructiore
-----
4/9/13 - 4/15/13 by ParadOxymoron

Converting Bosk
Land (C)
(p), : Choose one—Add to your mana pool; or you gain 2 life.
-----
4/16/13 - 4/22/13 by HairlessThoctar

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate up to two cards a week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations for 4/16/13 - 4/22/13
Kingside Knight 
Creature - Knight
First strike, protection from black
Coin flips and subgames are played in the form of chess.
Sworn to keep the darkness in check.
2/2

by Detektor
-----
Permanent Assimilation 
Enchantment
Whenever a permanent becomes a color, it becomes that color.

by CrudeRampart
-----
Shrieking-Grave Zubera |
Creature - Zubera Spirit
When ~ dies, if 4 or more damage was dealt to it this turn, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3

by Echo_Robin

Nominations for this round and votes for the last one due Monday, April 29th. Hopefully people find some cards this time.

NOTE:

Well, one nomination sorta went nowhere. We're going back to two nominations per person. Enjoy. 
Can I cast negative votes?

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Can I cast negative votes?

You can nominate cards so we don't have to sit through this again. I was gone all week, but I still should have nominated SOMETHING.
LOL

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Just nit picking. Not that i would vote for it even if it was fixed:

Coin flips are NEVER played. serious business, man.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I nominate:
Spinner of Tales 
Creature -- Human

: Target creature card in a graveyard gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

"It was enormous! We were lucky to escape with our lives!"
2/2 

By Glasir in the You make the flavor thread.

It's funny, flavorful, and a great Scavenge enabler. 
I totally meant to make nominate that card I nominated too late earlier (That is a sentence shut up), which would have made this vote at least mildly more interesting. I mean, I like joke cards, but these aren't particularly inspiring.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I am abstaining this week. Two of those are jokes and the other one is unremarkable (Solid enough for what it is, but far from the best card of the week). 

Seriously, guys. What the hell happened. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Don't you get it?!  These cards are so wacky! Haha!
I vote to call off this week's vote and merge it with next weeks. We should also set a minimum number of nominees so that this doesn't happen again.
I'm not in for merging this week with the former, but a minimum amount of entries seems fine. That is, if we don't reach the minimum, I'll nominate cards myself until we get there.
Thank you all so much for voting for my nomination last week :D
I nominate that which Decembra made:

Chosen Regrets 
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature with hexproof. If that player can't, that player loses 3 life.
"If you won't allow me to shatter your dreams, then you've shattered mine. You're a hypocrite!"

I find it suspiciously intriguing and flavorful...both punishing a player who runs hexproof, and one who doesn't...
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
What the hell happend last week? I probably made like three cards since Monday that could've won that vote, and the only really good card I made was the Automimic.
What the hell happend last week? I probably made like three cards since Monday that could've won that vote, and the only really good card I made was the Automimic.

I'm pretty sure I could've won this vote, and I don't think I designed anything last week.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I'm pretty sure I could've won this vote, and I don't think I designed anything last week.

Yah, well my mom could have won this vote and she doesn't even know what Magic is. So, um... there.

Well then make sure you nominate every week. Let this be a lesson to us all.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
I am abstaining this week. Two of those are jokes and the other one is unremarkable.

Permanent Assimilation may be a joke card, but even joke cards can make it into serious Magic sometimes. Look at The Cheese Stands Alone. It was first an Un-card, and then they went and printed it in Future Sight (in before "Time Spiral block wasn't a serious block"; I'll submit that Planar Chaos went places the color pie isn't meant to go, but Future Sight and Time Spiral did a pretty good job of staying in the "correct" color pie when they weren't referencing really old cards).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Eh, I didn't like assimilation because:
1) Its worded terribly, in itself creating an infinite loop: It becomes blue, it becomes blue, it becomes blue...
2) Even ignoring that and catching the real meaning, its so fringe...and pretty much useless outside of the most Johnny of decks.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
It's pretty useless in most Johnny decks, too. It's not a card I'd ever want to play, and not something my friends would ever want to play. Perhaps I just don't know enough Uber-Johnnies.
<---thinks of self as an Uber-Johnny even though has never won a tournament with a combo deck

I earned the nickname "The Mad Scientist" at a store because I ran a green-blue deck that used Jump and Plummet to take down problem creatures. Not the most efficient way to remove creatures, but it was fun to play. Got 2nd place in the tournament.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

<---thinks of="" self="" as="" an="" uber-johnny="" even="" though="" has="" never="" won="" a="" tournament="" with="" combo="" deck="" br="">

That's more of a Johnny-Spike thing, isn't it?
A true Jhony's decks are often so convoluted that they rarely function. For many Jhonnies the quality and ridiculousness of the win takes precedence over the actual chances of winning.
I voted for Kingside Knight becasue there was a poll, and something to click, and boxes need to be checked, and a versimultitude of other reasons which all boil down to the fact that I would be more than willing to play chess in lieu of a coin flip, and un-card or not I love the design. 
All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring. -Chuck Palahniuk My Card as designed by febbstalicious42
Show
Four-Finger Discount :2mana: Instant Gain control of target creature. You lose life equal to its toughness. Almost as good as the five-finger discount.
phyrexianloyalty.png
Its the hardest thing to not click a box just so I can find out what card is winning...
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Vote for all of them. That won't change the balance.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Yeah, but in a way it would be lending support to those nominations...

Not that I have a problem with the CARDS, but them being nominated irks me...I guess I haven't completely squashed jealosy from my lifeTongue Out.
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Spell Shatter

Instant (U)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays two mana of different colors.

by Libe 
Spell Shatter

Instant (U)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays two mana of different colors.

by Libe 

Good stuff.
mono color has its own troubles
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

I kind of figured that after last week everyone would be motivated to nominate as many cards as possible, but I guess there wasn't much of an impact.

I nominate Theatog's
Genegrowth Experiment
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature: Put a token that's a copy of enchanted creature onto the battlefield except it's a 1/1.
from
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Nominate Ulcaster's card:

Desperate Gamble
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast ~, discard your hand.
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
May you find what you are looking for.

Jasper Caste Emissary -
Creature - Faerie Moonfolk Rogue
Flying, hexproof, fateless. (Jasper Caste Emissary can't trigger abilities)
"I've danced across minefields, laughed in the face of Aether's fury and made sweet love to time itself as it stood still"

2/2

here
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Detektor's post from community.wizards.com/go/post/reply/7584..." title="community.wizards.com/go/post/reply/7584...">here
Melting Pot 
Artifact
, Remove a counter from a permanent you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
, Remove seven counters with different types from among permanents you control: You win the game.
"Take your cauldronful of blood and add a teaspoon of elixir. Stir vigorously, then add three eyeballs and slime to taste. Leave the mix in your pressure cooker until the hourglass is empty, then serve with ice."
-Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar
, The Underworld Cookbook

Detektor's post from community.wizards.com/go/post/reply/7584..." title="community.wizards.com/go/post/reply/7584...">here
Melting Pot 
Artifact
, Remove a counter from a permanent you control: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
, Remove seven counters with different types from among permanents you control: You win the game.
"Take your cauldronful of blood and add a teaspoon of elixir. Stir vigorously, then add three eyeballs and slime to taste. Leave the mix in your pressure cooker until the hourglass is empty, then serve with ice."

The flavour text seals the deal.
Melting Pot 
Artifact

The flavour text seals the deal.

He totally stole it from me.
Except for not really, but shuddup. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
It was my idea anyway.

I didn't realize you had been designing Cookbook cards.

I didn't realize you had been designing Cookbook cards.

Just the one, but it was about a day before you posted yours.

It wasn't a particularly exciting card, the flavor text was the only real highlight. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
GM_Champion's

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

comments in 5, 4, 3, 2...