Dungeons and Dragons Movies

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
My friends and I decided to watch the D&D movies last weekend after our session ended and I have to say, I didn't enjoy them that much. Not because I only knew a few of the actors, but that I didn't know the adventure. It was totally a classic adventure campaign with a couple rogues, a fighter, wizard, and ranger (good group imho), but after reading a bunch of the books and participating in around half of the campaigns over the years, I don't remember this story.

My suggestion is that WotC should get someone like Peter Jackson (not him particularly, but someone LIKE him) to direct a series of 5-6 movies and release them every 12-18 months apart in order with the same cast, filmed before the first movie comes out. You know, like P.J. did with LotR.

For the theme of these movies, there are a lot of options. You could do something off of Dragonlance, Greywolf, or even Eberon (though I think we should avoid Eberon.. it's a bit too sci-fi-y), Nentir Vale, or Neverwinter. Get the authors of the books together and have them go over the best route for a movie in the series and pick the one that would show off the D&D world the best. Then get a team of writers together to come out with the best script you possibly can using the books as a guideline so that we can follow the stories before the books come out and we don't technically have to follow the Spoiler's Guidelines. Get at least B-List actors, too. Marlon Waynes was great as was Thora Birch and Jeremy Irons, they should all be invited back! If you can pull a few A-Listers, all the better.

Finally (and most importantly) when it's all done, release a series of campaigns for 2nd, 3rd, pathfinder, 4th essentials, and D&D Next that are all conversions that people can play of the movies. That way if a player feels that someone should have done something else then they can. That, along with ticket sales, should bring D&D back into the light and if you show the whole thing being about how the adventurers are fighting the occult then we can slap the extremist idjuts out there with the fact that they are promoting the devil or something (sorry, I saw a clip on YouTube the other day that made me facepalm).

Cheers! 
I think your plan is ambitious, but also unlikely.  D&D simply doesn't have the brand strength to make that work.

Semi-related, though, here's a guy who's making an officially-licensed movie of Dark Dungeons:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/295102457/r...
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Yeah, the D&D movies are universally terrible.

The first one's got a little bit of cachet because Jeremy Irons can make anything awesome, especially when he can ham it up six ways from sunday, but as a rule, they're terrible.

Which is a shame, because a good D&D movie could really revitalise the brand.  But instead we get the Book of Vile Darkness yech.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Either you take the films seriously when producing them and make it serious (the made for TV movies were a joke), or you embrace the silliness (a.k.a The Gamers and The Gamers II Dorkness Rising).

As far as D&D movies goes, I much prefer the The Gamers series. At least they don't take themselve too seriously.

Nothing worst in my mind than a sy-fy movie that tries to take itself too seriously. You create expectations and can't deliver, and that hurts.
Hawk The Slayer is the greatest movie ever made.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I'm still kind of puzzled over why an attempt at the Icewind Dale trilogy hasn't been made. They wouldn't even need to mention its D&D roots. They're definitely not my favorite series of D&D novels, but they are some of the most well-known. Even a good chunk of the Drizzt-haters would probably go see it.

Also - the first movie is so mind-****ingly terrible, it's kinda fun.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
Before Peter Jackson's LOTR Hawk the Slayer and Krull were probably the best movie examples of a D&D adventuring party.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

No Peter Jackson.  If you want someone to direct a movie (or series of movies) about the exploits of an adventuring party, the only man for the job is Joss Whedon.  

TjD

I'd be game for some good ANIMATED fantasy (D&D themed) movies, or perhaps a complete revamp of Dungeons and Dragons, the 1980's cartoon show!!!!!!

As long as bands/artists like:  Luca Turilli, Tobias Sammet, Rhapsody of Fire, Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Edguy, Symfonia, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Galneryus, Avantasia, Harmony, Rob Rock, Temple of Blood, Affector, Seventh Avenue, Theocracy, Kamelot, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall or Adiastasia did the soundtracks!!!!!!!  

As long as bands/artists like:  Luca Turilli, Tobias Sammet, Rhapsody of Fire, Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Edguy, Symfonia, Sonata Arctica, Angra, Galneryus, Avantasia, Harmony, Rob Rock, Temple of Blood, Affector, Seventh Avenue, Theocracy, Kamelot, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall or Adiastasia did the soundtracks!!!!!!!  

.....sigh....

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

src="http://www.wizards.com/dnd/monster/images/banners/13.jpg"/>
D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

I'll bite:  sigh, what?.....

As far as 'party adventure' movies go, have to say this was my first.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenB3gt6SAY

I actually went and saw the D&D movie when it came out and i was just a kid. Never even knew much about it.
I'll bite:  sigh, what?.....

The last poster's selection of obscure folk- and power metal bands for the soundtrack of another D&D music caused me to sigh. Don't get me wrong, I love metal, but that list of bands just screams "STEREOTYPE ME!"

I mean this sincerely: give me other/better suggestions.

I get to have music in the background at work, and I've got a giant list of, in my mind, good/great power metal bands, some of the one's I listed above of course, but a few more as well.

I'm more than willing to look into other options, if you have any good suggestions, let me know!  I just pull up youtube and search for these bands and listen to full albums at a time.

Anyway, look forward to hearing your suggestions! 
I mean this sincerely: give me other/better suggestions.

How's this?  Pretty much anything but metal.

Honestly, the first D&D movie's soundtrack is a classic.  It's some beautiful music, and it captured the feel of D&D well.  It's definitely the strongest part of that movie.

Metal doesn't belong in fantasy.  There's a cognitive dissonance there.  Why am I hearing distorted guitars, when speakers don't exist?  They just showed a guy playing a single drum; why is there music with double bass drums in it?

It would be perfectly fine in a setting like Shadowrun or even some kind of D20 Modern campaign-movie.  But as for a fantasy movie?  No.

I can appreciate that.

However... You're trying to "argue" that power metal shouldn't be in fantasy movie..... 

So....  In a movie with wizards and warlocks and gnomes and giants and every other fantasy-based creature, you're saying that instruments that weren't in the real middle ages shouldn't be in the movies about fantasy?....

I'm sure my comments sound funny, or that I'm mocking you, I'm really just trying to understand how you can say real instruments that are literally real and tangible, can't be used in a movie that has an ogre or orc.  Somehow those are real and deserve middle ages instrument backing to the scenes where they're waging war against the elven civilization?

Laughing
I'd love to give you suggestions, but music distracts the people around my game table, thus, we don't use it often at all. I totally think that you should be able to play any music you want during your games. Just not techno. At the FLGS that I used to run Encounters and Lair Assaults at, they would listen to techno/trance/whatever while we were playing. It didn't bother the M:tG players (how could they hear it over their obnoxious bleeting and shouting...) but it definitely took away from my experience. I find movie soundtrack music to be almost perfect. In fact, I was so blown away by this one soundtrack I heard (for the movie Trinity and Beyond--it's a documentary about the development and testing of nuclear weapons) that I immediately ordered it on Amazon. I hope to use it for upcoming games.

To the poster who stated "heavy metal and fantasy don't go together" or something along those lines, I'd say watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Although the "metal" is cheesy as all hell, it didn't take anything away from the show.

Anyways, I'm not the biggest power metal fan out there, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. I prefer death, black and grindcore.

Honestly i find stuff like the Gamers to be great D&D themed productions. Sure, its a comedy, but it really captures D&D at most tables i've seen.

D&D often works on a bunch of funny assumptions anyway.     
Well, just saw this today. Bigger budget, but not based on an existing story (perhaps even setting?) and written by the guy who wrote the script for Red Riding Hood & Wrath of the Titans. Yay? Undecided
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
The only way I can ever see a new D&D movie maybe working is if they work with an existing popular character and setting.

Like Drizzt and the Forgotten Realms.

As much as I hate them, it's really the only thing close to recognizable that D&D has.  With the right story I could be very interested in seeing that kind of film.

But if you read the article, the people they have on board so far do not make me hopeful.  Too early to tell, though, it's all still just talk.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

"it will use a script by Wrath Of The Titans and Red Riding Hood scribe"

Oh dear
Yeah, I'm not having great expectations on that movie.
Well, the less is said about the first movie the better. However the third movie proofed that is actually possible to do a D&D movie worse than the frist.

I needed two attempts to watch BoVD because I couldn't endure it the first time and turned it off in the middle (and not even the first D&D movie was that bad).

That said the second D&D movie was a pretty solid b-movie. Neither great nor horrible.

BoVD hung the bar so low, that it's pratically impossible for WB to get under it unless they're true limbo masters
Rights Battle On Dungeons & Dragons movie: Warner Bros and Universal/Hasbro Tangle

www.deadline.com/2013/05/rights-battle-o...
Rights Battle On Dungeons & Dragons movie: Warner Bros and Universal/Hasbro Tangle

www.deadline.com/2013/05/rights-battle-o...

Personally I hope the rights revert back to Marvel

Er ... hang on.   Wrong thread :o
I don't agree entirely with this article but its interesting enough:

7 ways Warner Bros can make a Dungeons & Dragons movie work

"it will use a script by Wrath Of The Titans and Red Riding Hood scribe"

Oh dear

Although I was not impressed by the Clash of the Titans remake, Wrath seemed to have a D&D-ish feel to it that I liked. Same with Red Riding Hood.

Ultimately though: I see no point to a movie trying to capitalize on the D&D name (rather than an established setting).

Sign In to post comments