Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for May, 2013

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of May, 2013.
2 Creeping Corrosion main in the GB deck posted here? www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Is affinity that big on magic online that you need to run a card like that main?  Geez  Seems like those would be better served as a 3rd abrupt decay and, oh I dont know myabe something like sign in blood?
I've been working on a similar list to his Demons deck, except that it has much more focus on tokens/populate, 3x Trostani, 4x Advent of the Wurm, and 3x Rootborn Defenses and black is a mere splash.  The format is full of aggro and Trostani is a card that is very hard for aggro to beat.  A lot of aggro decks don't run enough removal and Trostani dodges a lot of the removal that is played.  They can't win through the lifegain if you can untap with Trostani in play because once you start gaining life every creature you drop they can't race and the populate war will just out attrition war aggro decks.  Not only that, but the deck has a lot to fight against control decks with Rootborn Defenses and many instants on the opponent's turn.  It can be hard for control opponents to win when you put them in a situation where they have to play Supreme Verdict and when they tap you just drop Advent of the Wurm.  Plus, populating 5/5 flying demons with Trostani is just cool.

I appreciate a lot of what is going on with Mr. Greed...and absolutely hate that the manabase can pull it off.
I appreciate a lot of what is going on with Mr. Greed...and absolutely hate that the manabase can pull it off.

Ever since Alpha it was trivial to build a four color deck using dual lands. It's not like this deck is playing Cryptic Command and Cloudthresher. He pays for it too by not always being able to dreadbore on turn 2 and by having 26 damage worth of pain in his lands.

Ever since Alpha it was trivial to build a four color deck using dual lands. It's not like this deck is playing Cryptic Command and Cloudthresher.

There was totally nothing wrong with Alpha, right?
About the Possibilities Through the Hive deck, there is a problem with your Possibility Storm + Ornithopter + Emrakul combo. You have Pentad Prism in the deck, which shares a card type with Ornithopter. You are just as likely to get a free Pentad Prism as an Emrakul.
Too bad you can't play a Kobold instead!

Just play Dryad arbor then.

Wait, what? Why? I feel like I'm missing something here, but that's a land, so you'll get a land.

Wait, what? Why? I feel like I'm missing something here, but that's a land, so you'll get a land.

And that is why i'll never make the pro tour!
It's defintely not you missing something, it's me, I must have left my brain in my other pants.

'Plays dryad arbor, reveals molten slagheap, face palms'.
Needs to drop the prism, for reasons stated.

Had a similar thought about building around this when the DGM spoilers came out...

I'm inclined towards building a deck which is all lands, including 4 x tolaria west, and sorceries save for...
4 x this 1 x ornithopter 1 x emrakul, the aeons torn
with the following to put an unhelpful emrakul back into your library
1 x pact of the titan 1 x through the breach
think that works... albeit like all such decks it would be quite fragile

I reckon the mana ramp is tough unless you go green. Otherwise you're looking at the remaining red rituals which generally only get you a one mana bump. Could also combo off of curse of exhaustion.

Anyway, here's my version:

Land (23)
4 x Tolaria West
19 x other land

Enchantments (7)
1 x Hive Mind
1 x Curse of Exhaustion
1 x Omniscience
4 x Possibility Storm

Instants (2)
1 x Pact of the Titan
1 x Through the Breach

Creatures (3)   
2 x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 x Ornithopter

Planeswalkers (2)
1 x Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
1 x Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Sorceries (23)
4 x Sleight of Hand
4 x Serum Visions
4 x Time Warp
4 x Supreme Verdict 
2 x Brainspoil
1 x Enter the Infinite

And that is why i'll never make the pro tour!
It's defintely not you missing something, it's me, I must have left my brain in my other pants.

'Plays dryad arbor, reveals molten slagheap, face palms'.

To make matters worse, Dryad Arbor isn't a spell, so it never even triggers Possibility Storm to begin with.
Really? Varolz is 12-15 feet? I always figured he was, like, 4 feet. It fits for a 2/2, and the art makes him look scrappy.
Today's Card of the Day:
Way back in the halcyon days of Limited Edition Alpha, Grizzly Bears were 2/2s for two mana. Ever since then, creatures with that combination of power, toughness, and cost have been colloquially known as "Bears." Ulvenwald Bear is a weak example of a "value Bear," which is a 2/2 for two with an extra ability that makes it better.

Whoever compiles these things must have their attention turned somewhere other than the actual card, since Ulvenwald Bear costs 3.
I like Glittering Wish, but I'm not sure I'm in love with his targets for it.  Also, is  there a reason why the Grove of the Burnwillows/fire combo isn't present here?  He's already running Kavu Predator, so it seems logical.  I can see myself playing a more midrange version with the same shell, but with the burnwillows synergy, and a life from the loam engine. 
It's a Modern deck, so Punishing Fire is banned.
This week's CotD theme is on the tip of my tongue. Is it just 2/2s? Or is there something I'm missing?
This week's CotD theme is on the tip of my tongue. Is it just 2/2s? Or is there something I'm missing?

Not sure, but Copper is the name of the hound in Disney's Fox and the Hound, and that story features a bear and, obviously, hunting.

Let's see if Friday's card fits.

So is anyone else a little put off by them offering up a more-than-$600 standard deck in the daily deck lists? Jeez, its not even an optimized deck for many of the metas 
So is anyone else a little put off by them offering up a more-than-$600 standard deck in the daily deck lists? Jeez, its not even an optimized deck for many of the metas 

I doubt monetary value has anything to do with Daily Deck List selection (unless otherwise stated). It's mostly just an outlet for the writer to showcase interesting decks, in various formats and for different reasons.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Today's Card of the Day:
Way back in the halcyon days of Limited Edition Alpha, Grizzly Bears were 2/2s for two mana. Ever since then, creatures with that combination of power, toughness, and cost have been colloquially known as "Bears." Ulvenwald Bear is a weak example of a "value Bear," which is a 2/2 for two with an extra ability that makes it better.

Whoever compiles these things must have their attention turned somewhere other than the actual card, since Ulvenwald Bear costs 3.

Making it a /really/ weak example of a value Bear : P
Really? Varolz is 12-15 feet? I always figured he was, like, 4 feet. It fits for a 2/2, and the art makes him look scrappy.

I know right? He is clearly 4-5 foot tall no matter what Wizards say. A 15 foot tall muscle bound warrior troll hero champion is not a 2/2
I'm glad to see wallpapers for each of the guild champions slowly coming one by one, but I'm starting to think they would have been better posted in a burst on the Dragon's Maze page instead, or something like that. It would be off-putting if any of them wasn't posted in the end (you're bound to bother/offend someone - I play Simic and Boros, but I'm waiting on Rakdos), it's eating up the precious commodity of "Wallpaper Wednesdays," and there was nothing posted on the product page this time around.
This week's Card of the Day theme: The Hobbit?

It'll be June by the time they start linking the Arcana articles to the May discussion thread!
I thought today it was time for the biweekly podcast.
I'm sorry, the last question on that goblin quiz is subjective.  I'm not saying Kiki-Jiki is bad (because he isn't), but there can be several opinions of the "greatest goblin of all time" and the ones shown aren't wrong.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
I'm sorry, the last question on that goblin quiz is subjective.  I'm not saying Kiki-Jiki is bad (because he isn't), but there can be several opinions of the "greatest goblin of all time" and the ones shown aren't wrong.

Jokes don't come across well on the internet.  Especially when the "joke" can actually be true from the "joker's" perspective.  Trick Jarrett may actually like Kiki-Jiki over Krenko or Squee.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Jokes don't come across well on the internet.  Especially when the "joke" can actually be true from the "joker's" perspective.  Trick Jarrett may actually like Kiki-Jiki over Krenko or Squee.

The joke is that he is making the absurd statement that one is objectively better than the others.

It's a very obvious joke.

Not particularly funny, but extremely obviously meant as a joke.
since he was planning to make it unblockable with Rogue's Passage anyway.

Call me old fashion, but don't decks that plan on making cards unblockable with Rogue's Passage typically have Rogue's Passage in the deck? 
since he was planning to make it unblockable with Rogue's Passage anyway.

Call me old fashion, but don't decks that plan on making cards unblockable with Rogue's Passage typically have Rogue's Passage in the deck? 

I was thinking the same thing.  Is this build supposed to include Rogue's Passage or are we missing something?  I like the deck idea, but I'm definitely confused.
Haunted Crossroads is probably a good clash choice
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

Today's Arcana reminds me how I wish they still made cards that created race/class tokens like the Lorwyn block ones. I know they're "too complex" to do on a whim, but what is a generic Soldier token supposed to be? A living suit of armor? Well, at least that fits the art of the new one.

It is rumored the Azorius paid an exorbitant sum to ensure its symbol would appear at the top.
In today's "Legendary Mana" decklist article the author talks about how much better Gaea's Cradle is under the new rules... but then he forgot to put Cradle in the deck?

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I suppose the problem with Gaea's Cradle is that in some situations you might not get the blue mana to cast Beck, but Sam's solution is subpar, there are better lands that produce two mana when needed. For example there is Flooded Grove that can be activated on turn 1, there is 12 sources of mana to do this. This deck has the potential to win on turn 1 (barring Force of Will). Also why not add in Mry Enforcer, the deck can easily play seven or more artifacts in a turn.
the oops moment when you realize you forgot to include Gaea's Cradle the very card you ment to abuse
I suppose I can out it in pupulate
trrekolk samporlines doesn't need it
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

oh, so you're new rogue deck that you just thought of is cheerios. Nice. Except you cut out 12 of the 0-drops? way to improve the deck.
On a sidenote, the deck can win on turn two frighteningly frequently if you build it with a few more of the "sac for two mana" lands, especially schince you can use an extra off-color one to cast manamorphose. I also prefer using a pair of goblin bombardments, as it is possible to cast it on a different turn if the combo fizzles out, but you still have mana available for next turn (you can then make it function as a burn deck, attack with memnites, and blast the other guy down)
Sign In to post comments