XP for non-combat encounters?

I have a problem with D&D rules in generals - how much to give PCs XP for overcoming encounter in non-combat ways? Like they overtalking the enemies, outsmart them or whatever. For now I ruled that players got half of normal XP for fighing resolution, but I would want to hear "official" guidline on this.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Hey wyrdhamster!

You should reward players on par with combat encounters, otherwise the pc's will seek out combat options at any given situation.
Remember to award xp on the basis of people playing their character aswell. This shouldn't be a huge xp reward, just something that, in time, will get the people who actually have written something about their char down (and they use that in the game, maybe not always to their advantage) a headstart on levelling.

PS Wyrdhamster : Did you like my last reply in your other topic (Mass Battle Combat Rules wanted) ?
Hey wyrdhamster! You should reward players on par with combat encounters, otherwise the pc's will seek out combat options at any given situation.

Then if I wanna re-use the enemy, they will get multiple XP from one character. I made fast house rule to give half XP at non-combat solution and other half if enemy is defeated.

Remember to award xp on the basis of people playing their character aswell. This shouldn't be a huge xp reward, just something that, in time, will get the people who actually have written something about their char down (and they use that in the game, maybe not always to their advantage) a headstart on levelling.

Give XP after session as extra Easy/Avarage/Thought encounter, based on overall players play, moslty Avarage. 

PS Wyrdhamster : Did you like my last reply in your other topic (Mass Battle Combat Rules wanted) ?

The long list - list good, but I was needing more cinematic rules, in pairs of them in Savage Worlds. I'm not fun of making D&D truly minatures only game. Undecided
Once the PC's bluff their way into a castle, past 4 guards, give them the xp for the 4 guards, if the only other alternative was to kill these guards.
Just remember that these guards award no extra xp, should the characters have to fight their way out through them.

Just in the same way as surviving a trap should give you XP, you don't get more xp for stepping onto the activation plate again - then you're just being stupid.

Encounters where there's good roleplaying and/or the PC's have some skin in the game (eg. trying to sneak past the orc sentries around the encampment to silently assasinate their leader should grant xp for the sentries they encounter + the leader, not the whole camp)
But what to do with things like "we agree for now on truce/help each other", when both players and I know the PCs can come back later and kill the monsters after end of agrement?
I am of the opinion that if the players get past an obstacle, especially a combat one, they should be rewarded accordingly... even if the bad guys could come back later. Consider the classic trope of the recurring villian, who manages to escape before dying each time the PCs fight him. Should they fight him 10 times before they get any XP? Should they get 1/10 XP each fight? I see 10 fights, 10 full XP rewards.

Likewise, if they sneak past some guards through cleverness, that is one instance of "dealing with some guards" and I give them XP... if they come back the same way, the guards are still there, they have to "deal with some guards" again. As a seperate incident, it gets seperate XP. 

I agree with Ashardis though, in that stupidity shouldn't be rewarded... stepping purposely into a trap, or sneaking back and forth around the guards without purpose, I wouldn't give XP. If the only reason they are doing something is because "hey, look, when I do this XP falls out" then I'm not going to have any XP fall out.

I am also of the opinion that XP should be given twice for two seperate encounters with the same monster/trap.

I can't think of a single reason why it would be any other way.
I get multiple rewards for hundreds of identical zombies/skeletons.
I get multiple rewards for identical traps placed consecutively. 
I even think I'd get multiple rewards if I time travelled and joined myself in a battle I'd already fought. But now it's getting complicated.