Two-Headed Giant Questions

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm new to the format and I keep running into a lot of rules questions regarding it. So I have a list of questions.

1. Each player is considered a seperate entity, so any effect that would hit all players (or opponents) will hit each team member, yes? So a Pestilence will hit a team for 2 total points, instead of 1. This would also mean that a Circle of Protection: Black can only save the one player, and not the other.

2. If I have a creature with Islandwalk and either of my opponents controls an island, then no opponent can block it, correct?

3. When you attack, are you attacking one player directly and any creature can be used to block it, or are you attacking the team?

If I think of more, then I'll add them here.
1. Each player is considered a seperate entity

Nothing in MTG cares about "entities". I think you meant:

Each person is a player.
so any effect that would hit all players (or opponents) will hit each team member, yes? So a Pestilence will hit a team for 2 total points, instead of 1.

Yes.

This would also mean that a Circle of Protection: Black can only save the one player, and not the other.

Yes.

2. If I have a creature with Islandwalk and either of my opponents controls an island, then no opponent can block it, correct?

Islandwalk made it unblockable, and an unblockable can't be blocked by anyone.

3. When you attack, are you attacking one player directly and any creature can be used to block it, or are you attacking the team?

The defending team can block with any creature they have. [CR 810.7d]

...and when your attacking creature actually deals combat damage, it deals it to only one of the team's player (your choice). [CR 810.7f]

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Each person is a player

Which means they are separate entities... those entites happen to be called 'players'.

No one claimed that 'entity' was a Defined Term in Magic; just that it was a defined term in the English Language.

Each person is a player

Which means they are separate entities... those entites happen to be called 'players'.

No one claimed that 'entity' was a Defined Term in Magic; just that it was a defined term in the English Language.

But understanding that the "entities" are called players goes a long way into figuring out 2HG.  A lot of people explain it as "you're basically one player", but that leads to a lot of confusion about how cards (like pestilience) work.  But if they can understand that you are a team of players with a shared life total, rules issues are a bit easier to sort out.

And forgive Ikegami, he comes off as cold and harsh, but I don't think he means ill towards anyone.

But understanding that the "entities" are called players goes a long way into figuring out 2HG

Sure, and a worthwhile explanation/distinction to make. Based on his first question, the OP *did* understand that.

And forgive Ikegami, he comes off as cold and harsh, but I don't think he means ill towards anyone.

Just because someone makes a habit of it, doesn't make it acceptable.

But understanding that the "entities" are called players goes a long way into figuring out 2HG

Sure, and a worthwhile explanation/distinction to make. Based on his first question, the OP *did* understand that.

Just because someone makes a habit of it, doesn't make it acceptable.

I guess you haven't spent a lot of time on the rules forum, but lots of people ask questions with an underlying misunderstanding.  So correcting those people and/or making it clear for future forum users who may be searching for similar questions is often helpful.

And he wouldn't need forgiveness if it was acceptable. 
But again, he *didn't* have an underlying misunderstanding, as was evidenced by the question he asked.  He knew they were separate, and he even knew how they interacted with things like Pestilence.

He was 'corrected' for using a perfectly acceptable, and accurate, english word in a correct manner.

...and when your attacking creature actually deals combat damage, it deals it to only one of the team's player (your choice). [CR 810.7f]

So when you attack, you attack a player separately? I'm asking for purposes of protection. Say, for instance, that I attack with a pro-black creature. One opponent controls three black creatures, but the other has a red creature.

Thanks for everyone's help, b-t-dubs. 
you attack the team

when you actually deal damage you decide which head gets the damage
usually that makes no difference, since life total is shared, but it can with cards like Hippy
proud member of the 2011 community team

Each person is a player

Which means they are separate entities...

I never said they weren't. It's merely a totally useless statement from which the conclusion he drew could not be drawn. He might as well have said, "the sky is grey, so Pestilence deals two damage to the team". The sky is indeed grey today, but you can't conclude that Pestilence deals two damage to the team from it.

As such, I provided the premise that would lead to the drawn conclusion, then confirmed them.

He was 'corrected' for using a perfectly acceptable, and accurate, english word in a correct manner.

No, he was corrected because the argument whose conclusion he wanted confirmed was invalid.

you attack the team

usually that makes no difference, since life total is shared, but it can with cards like Hippy

Okay, so what about the protection scenario?
you attack the team

Okay, so what about the protection scenario?

Creatures controlled by either player can block.  In your example, the three black creatures can't block the pro-black attacker but the red creature can.  The other two blockers will go through unblocked.

If something triggers on dealing damage, then you choose on head to apply that to.  For example, if you attack and get through with Hypnotic Specter after it deals damage you choose the head that will discard.
Makes sense. Thanks everyone!